Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2016 Draft - winners & losers Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  05:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now that the draft is over, and the anticipation of where the "big 3" would land is done, how about a discussion on who the winners and losers were (mainly from the 1st round).

WINNERS:
- Leafs for drafting Matthews and getting that ever elusive franchise center (potential) they've been looking for since Sundin left.
- Jets for drafting Laine. he's going to be a beast plain and simple. my early pick for rookie of the year.
- Calgary who drafted Tkachuk, and also traded for Brian Elliot.

LUCKIEST:
- Oilers for having Puljujarvi fall right into their laps! he should fit very nicely playing along side McDavid.

LOSERS:
- Columbus for passing on Puljujarvi. but to take it one step further if the plan all along was to draft Dubois then why not trade down with Edmonton? and then trade down again, if you could? or heck even take Puljujarvi at no. 3, and then trade him after? they had multiple possibilities being in that position and they blew it.

OTHERS:
- Detroit managed to trade Datsyuk's contract, giving them room to take a run at Stamkos
- Montreal traded for Andrew Shaw

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  16:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you nailed most of them. IMO, Columbus should have made a deal with Vancouver if they wanted Dubois so bad. I really don't think Edmonton was going to take him, however, in fairness, CBJ could have been worried that Edm would deal their pick to a team like Montreal who coveted Dubois? There were rumours that had Puljujarvi not fallen, Edm had multiple options to trade their #4?

I think the young GM in Phoenix had a damn fine debut as well, especially trading up to grab Chychrun who'd falled quite a ways!

Otherwise, considering the hype in the week prior to the draft regarding potential blockbusters, the only real surprise was CBJ drafting PLD. There was talk of Winnipeg moving their pick, the Habs moving up, Canucks possibly moving up as well as Edmonton moving their pick for immediate back end help. The draft fizzled out like it usually does in the end!
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  13:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the hype took a few days to get here, but better late then never...

Taylor Hall traded to NJ for Adam Larsson. Straight one-for-one deal.
this one blew me away. I never thought EDM would trade Hall. and I know they needed help on D, but to give up Hall and get nothing else in return? I'm sure Larsson's a solid D, but surely EDM could have got more out of this..

where's Beans?

...and now PK Subban and Shea Weber have swapped teams!!

....and Stamkos is staying in Tampa.

WOW!! what a day. I was typing about Hall-Larsson when the other two stories popped up. this may be my best post ever!! lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page