Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 If you were Leafs G.M. Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  07:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
If the Toronto Maple Leafs are in contention for a playoff spot come the trade deadline, what would you do?

Choices:

Make a deal for an impact player
Add a couple depth guys
Stand pat with the group they have
Stick to the rebuild and trade any valuable assets
Other (explain)

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  08:52:43  Reply with Quote
Did Obama change the rules of the NHL so now The bottom 16 teams make the playoffs?
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  09:40:33  Reply with Quote
The fourth option should be continue with the rebuild and look at assets to trade (mainly highly paid underproducing veterans).

We wouldn't trade "any" valuable assets as this may only include the players in the rebuild. e.g. Schenn
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  10:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is pretty much what i was implying. Obviously dont trade schenn, but guys like kaberle, kubina, blake poni.
Last time I checked the Leafs were holding down 8th spot in the east...
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  10:46:14  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Yes, that is pretty much what i was implying. Obviously dont trade schenn, but guys like kaberle, kubina, blake poni.

Last time i checked the Rangers were second in the league. Think that'll stick to the end?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  10:48:13  Reply with Quote
quote:

and the last time i checked we were about 12 games into the season...
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  11:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never said they would be in that position, the poll clearly states "IF" they are. Also, how do you know the rangers wont still be second in the league? Can you see the future?
So what if were 12 games in the season. Maybe ovechkin, crosby, heatley, alfie, and the entire habs starting 6 get hurt and the leafs walk away with the east. (all im saying is anything can happen)
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  11:42:14  Reply with Quote
quote:

I never said they would be in that position, the poll clearly states "IF" they are. Also, how do you know the rangers wont still be second in the league? Can you see the future?
So what if were 12 games in the season. Maybe ovechkin, crosby, heatley, alfie, and the entire habs starting 6 get hurt and the leafs walk away with the east. (all im saying is anything can happen)

No I can't see the future, but I can make statement with confidence that the Leafs will not make the playoffs. But whatever I'll let the 80% of this forum come in and say "LEAFS RULZ THE WURLD, WE WINZ TEH CUP, HABS SUCK".
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  13:56:52  Reply with Quote
quote:

So what if were 12 games in the season.

so there is 70 more games for the leafs to lose....
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  14:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they got to get rid of guys like

kaberle, ponikarovsky, toskala

kaberle because the last 3 games the leafs played kaberle has chances to knock guys on their reer ends when there in front of the not and he just stands there and they score because he is afraid to hit.

poinikarovsky because.......do i even have to explain. hes a softy like kaberle, the only person he works semi well with is antropov and neither of them have been playing good as of late. he always misses wide open shots and he ALWAYS turns the puck over in their own zone.

toskala because ive mentioned before that he is a good goalie but he cant play every damn game of the season. people know his weeknesses now. he is very unpositioned and flops around and hopes the puck hits him. the only reason he is like 5-3-2 is because the leafs played good the games they won plus toskala still only has a save % of 895 and 2.81 G.A.A

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  14:32:00  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

kaberle because the last 3 games the leafs played kaberle has chances to knock guys on their reer ends when there in front of the not and he just stands there and they score because he is afraid to hit.

poinikarovsky because.......do i even have to explain. hes a softy like kaberle, the only person he works semi well with is antropov and neither of them have been playing good as of late. he always misses wide open shots and he ALWAYS turns the puck over in their own zone.

toskala because ive mentioned before that he is a good goalie but he cant play every damn game of the season. people know his weeknesses now. he is very unpositioned and flops around and hopes the puck hits him. the only reason he is like 5-3-2 is because the leafs played good the games they won plus toskala still only has a save % of 895 and 2.81 G.A.A

Leafsfan_94

I tried to resist, but I couldn't...

I highly doubt Kaberle is afraid to hit, it's just the style of game he plays hitting isn't a part of. There are defense that are hard hitting shut down guys, like Chara. Than there are the forwards playing defense, which is essentially what Kaberle is. He does his part in the offensive end, and is not terrible in his own. If the Leafs traded him i can guarantee their offense would suffer alot. There is nothing wrong with Ponikarvosky, yes he's not the greatest player, but the position he's put in makes him look worse. On most teams he's a 3rd line player, bu on the Leafs he's a 1st/2nd line player. So there is alot of pressure on him to perform well and produce alot, and well he's not capable of that much. So rather than thinking trading him would be the best, why not get a replacement and play him where he should be. Don't even start on Toskala. He is the savior of Toronto, without him they'd be sitting 1-11. His numbers aren't great, cause his team blows. And you're trying to tell me that the team won the games for him, no. Other than the New York game, he's been one of the biggest parts of the win. Agaisnt Detroit he had almost 40 saves, and every other game he had around 25-30. Than you say, people know his weaknesses. A goalie can come in from the minors and play one game and the other team will know his weakness. No matter the experience, or goalie, the team they're facing will have researched about them.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  14:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, you probably dont even pay attention to leaf games because your not a leaf fan so you dont see what goes on like i do. and alot of what you said is stupid because you have no idea what really goes on you just watch highlights and critisize other people for their thoughts. toskala sucks as a starting goalie and beleive it or not,im right when i say the games before the back to back carolina games, the leafs won it for him. so try paying attention to the leafs before you tell someone who watches every last second of their games that their wrong. also poni is a 3rd line player on the leafs they have good players but people just assume they dont because there is a******s making fun of them and ranting on about how much they suck. and kaberle is one dimensional. maybe two if you count his extremely accurate shot that he doesnt use. all he can do is stickhandle and make a good pass. he wont give or take a hit, hes a little bulls*** and costs the leafs games

quote:
Originally posted by Guest8815

quote:

Leafsfan_94

I highly doubt Kaberle is afraid to hit, it's just the style of game he plays hitting isn't a part of. There are defense that are hard hitting shut down guys, like Chara. Than there are the forwards playing defense, which is essentially what Kaberle is. He does his part in the offensive end, and is not terrible in his own. If the Leafs traded him i can guarantee their offense would suffer alot. There is nothing wrong with Ponikarvosky, yes he's not the greatest player, but the position he's put in makes him look worse. On most teams he's a 3rd line player, bu on the Leafs he's a 1st/2nd line player. So there is alot of pressure on him to perform well and produce alot, and well he's not capable of that much. So rather than thinking trading him would be the best, why not get a replacement and play him where he should be. Don't even start on Toskala. He is the savior of Toronto, without him they'd be sitting 1-11. His numbers aren't great, cause his team blows. And you're trying to tell me that the team won the games for him, no. Other than the New York game, he's been one of the biggest parts of the win. Agaisnt Detroit he had almost 40 saves, and every other game he had around 25-30. Than you say, people know his weaknesses. A goalie can come in from the minors and play one game and the other team will know his weakness. No matter the experience, or goalie, the team they're facing will have researched about them.

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  15:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LEAFS RULZ THE WURLD, WE WINZ TEH CUP, HABS SUCK
Go to Top of Page

Guest9441
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  15:11:43  Reply with Quote
kaberle we should trade him because we could get a big skilled player like a gabroik, a kovalchuck
ponicorasky is looking good right now, so why not give him away
but leafs_fan94, your 100% wrong about toskala, toskala is a amazing goalie, if teams were such great scouters, then brodeur wouldn't be 7 away from the most winning goalie in the NHL
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  15:20:47  Reply with Quote
quote:

yeah, you probably dont even pay attention to leaf games because your not a leaf fan so you dont see what goes on like i do. and alot of what you said is stupid because you have no idea what really goes on you just watch highlights and critisize other people for their thoughts. toskala sucks as a starting goalie and beleive it or not,im right when i say the games before the back to back carolina games, the leafs won it for him. so try paying attention to the leafs before you tell someone who watches every last second of their games that their wrong. also poni is a 3rd line player on the leafs they have good players but people just assume they dont because there is a******s making fun of them and ranting on about how much they suck. and kaberle is one dimensional. maybe two if you count his extremely accurate shot that he doesnt use. all he can do is stickhandle and make a good pass. he wont give or take a hit, hes a little bulls*** and costs the leafs games

quote:
Originally posted by Guest8815

quote:

Leafsfan_94

Leafsfan_94

You don't have to watch every single Leafs game to understand that Toskala, Kaberle and Poni aren't as bad as they seem. Toskala is a very talented goaltender, and if you want to go on about watching them play alot, I am a San Jose fan and when he was on San Jose he owned it up. Ya he only got like 30-40 games, but in those games he never had an off night and I can't remember seeing him being the reason they lost. Now you're right I don't watch that many Leafs games, but from the maybe 4 I've seen this season and a good handful last season, I've seen Kaberle make countless great defensive plays. Now they may not all be big hits, or taking the body, but he's great at intercepting passes, breaking them up or getting in the passing lane. You do know that's another way of defense, right? Than you get the offensive side of him, which is sensational. He's one of, if not the best outlet passer in the game. Than you get his deadly accurate shot on the point and great seam passes. He's one of the Top PP QB's in the league and any team would be lucky to have him. And stop putting words in my mouth, not once did I say the Leafs have terrible players. Also point me to when I criticized someones thoughts, i merely stated what mine were. Never did I insult yours or anyone else's, you're the only one throwing insults around. So why don't you smarten up, and get off the jock.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  16:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

[

wow! typical Leafs fan right here. Trade Toskala! Trade Kaberle! Trade everybody!!!!!!!! Is Toskala a good goalie? yes. Is he one of the top 10 goalies in the league? no. But is he a good goalie? Yes. And he is fully capable of starting in the NHL. I would bet my future kids that there isn't a general manager/coach in hockey that would dispute that. Has he been playing great this year? No, but he is fully capable of winning games for the Leafs, as he showed all through last year. Part of the reason that he has been playing badly this year is because the Leafs defence sucks! There have been countless goals where the Leafs got sloppy, let the opponent get around them for an easy goal. If the Leafs tighten up defencively, you will see Tosala's stats go up too.
Now Kaberle. He is one of the top offensive defensemen in the league with six seasons over 40 points and over 50 points in the last 3 seasons. Is he the best defensive defenseman in the league? No. And he's not supposed to be. That is for guys like Schenn. But I can almost guarantee that the Leafs would be pretty much dead last in powerplay % if they didn't have Kaberle. should they trade him? If the right option comes around then yes, but only because he is their most marketable option BECAUSE HE IS THEIR BEST PLAYER!
And don't kid yourself. Poni is not a 3rd line player on the Leafs. Try 2nd or 1st.
You, my friend, are the reason that I dislike so many Leaf fans.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  16:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would appreciate if everyone could keep the personal insults to themselves. If you disagree with an opinion, argue against the opinion and not the person.

I am personally not a Leafs fan, but that does not mean I don't have an opinion on this or anything else. And there are far more than enough Leaf games on National TV that a non-Leaf Fan but a hockey fan will see enough of the Leafs to have a pretty good idea as to what is going on.

Let's fight nice, k????
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  11:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Poll Question:
If the Toronto Maple Leafs are in contention for a playoff spot come the trade deadline, what would you do? "

I would have to go with OTHER.

I would gather up all my family, throw a huge feast and have this huge hug fest and reaffirm my love for all my family and all the things they have done and then cuddle up to my wife and close my eyes....

THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT WOULD OBVIOUSLY WOULD BE HAPPENING IMMINENTLY!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

fanoleaf
Rookie

143 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  14:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the Buds have a chance to make the playoffs, chances are they would be too far ahead to be in line for a top draft pick.

That being the case, I would consider trading for an impact player, but would only consider trading for younger talent.

The player would still need to fit into the rebuild mode and would allow the player up to grow into the big picture for the club.

At some point in time Toronto is going to need to pick up an impact player by some means, trades, UFA's whatever. If it makes sense in the big picture of the franchise than I would go for it.

In order to win it all, you first need to make the playoffs. From there its an entirely new season and anything can happen.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  16:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
admin take this ****** off the site, or what are you going to take me off because a said a bad word, god let people havet heir opinions why do i always get picked on, theres lots more stupider idiots on this site than me? why is it that i always get personal shots and nobody else.

quote]Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

quote:

Brett Hull.

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  17:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please re-read my post. I didn't say anything specific to anyone, I said to EVERYONE to stay on topic and argue opinions not people.

The forum rules are clear. If people need a refresh, click on the links below.

http://pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2160
http://pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=609
http://pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=608

I am a moderator, not Admin. If you have a question for him, I would suggest sending him an e-mail. Overall, I think myself, Willus, Leigh, and Admin do a pretty reasonable job about letting people speak their mind and not remove or edit posts unless it is absolutely necessary.

These forum rules go for everyone(including us mods and admin). If you feel like you are being singled out or mistreated, by all means, contact admin and he will make the final call.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  05:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, this is why, as a Leaf fan, we have a bad image:
"theres lots more stupider idiots on this site than me?"

Clearly, no explanation is necessary after that.

To answer the question, if the Leafs were in contention for a playoff spot, I would guess Sundin is with the club, and we might already have another decent player added through a trade. I'd stand pat. Hell, even if by some miracle Sundin wasn't with us and we basically had this team contending - I'd still stand pat.

Let me re-phrase: I'd stand pat, UNLESS some one going for the gold was offering a first round pick for an expendable asset, or at the very least a good young player of at least 2nd line calibre.

Expendable assets: Steen, Colaiacovo, Tlusty, Hollweg, Finger, Frogren.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  08:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't trying to start some childish arguement with this poll, I just wanted to talk Leafs. Thanks to anyone who actually replied to the topic and didn't just start making fun of it. Although I do think the Leafs will not make the playoffs, I just wanted to hear some thoughts on what you think they should do if, for some reason or another, they are in contention. This is a great site that has some great bloggers and I enjoy reading your input regarding all aspects of hockey. So keep it up boys (and girls)
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  13:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if we are actually going to talk hockey and stop the childish games then this is an interesting topic!
As the poll says "IF" the Leafs were actually in contention I as GM would not likely make any big moves at all. This team is rebuilding and "if" they somehow get themselves in playoff contention it should not change the committment to rebuild. However everyone knows that if the right deal comes along then a move must be made. I think they have definite assets that could get a first round pick or quality youngster in return.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  13:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Porkchop73, I thank you.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  14:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would trade Toskala for a decent goalie, Then they would have a chance to make the playoffs
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  15:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

quote:

[

wow! typical Leafs fan right here. Trade Toskala! Trade Kaberle! Trade everybody!!!!!!!! Is Toskala a good goalie? yes. Is he one of the top 10 goalies in the league? no. But is he a good goalie? Yes. And he is fully capable of starting in the NHL. I would bet my future kids that there isn't a general manager/coach in hockey that would dispute that. Has he been playing great this year? No, but he is fully capable of winning games for the Leafs, as he showed all through last year. Part of the reason that he has been playing badly this year is because the Leafs defence sucks! There have been countless goals where the Leafs got sloppy, let the opponent get around them for an easy goal. If the Leafs tighten up defencively, you will see Tosala's stats go up too.
Now Kaberle. He is one of the top offensive defensemen in the league with six seasons over 40 points and over 50 points in the last 3 seasons. Is he the best defensive defenseman in the league? No. And he's not supposed to be. That is for guys like Schenn. But I can almost guarantee that the Leafs would be pretty much dead last in powerplay % if they didn't have Kaberle. should they trade him? If the right option comes around then yes, but only because he is their most marketable option BECAUSE HE IS THEIR BEST PLAYER!
And don't kid yourself. Poni is not a 3rd line player on the Leafs. Try 2nd or 1st.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.

I still have to laugh at this one, even after all these years. look what happened to Toskala after the Leafs finally traded him he played a whole 6 games for the Calgary Flames and fell off the face of the earth.
Obviously every single coach noticed Toskala was not a starting goaltender :) nor was he a good goaltender...

...And the LEAFS Win the CUP
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  13:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All these ex leaf players mentioned above weren't worth a pinch of coons s*** lol. Every one of them couldn't find a regular position with real hockey teams after they left toronto. What a horrible team they had assembled then.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2015 :  16:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

All these ex leaf players mentioned above weren't worth a pinch of coons s*** lol. Every one of them couldn't find a regular position with real hockey teams after they left toronto. What a horrible team they had assembled then.

Not true at all. Steen went on to be (and continues to be) a valuable asset for the Blues.

But you made me laugh with the coonsh-t reference, so I'll give you that.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2015 :  12:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic is really the major reason chatter has gone down on this site. Toronto fans wanted to talk good or bad about there team, non leafs fans ragged on them tremendously. Leafs fans found a new place to discuss there team (not on this site) and the rest of the chatter died down. I miss the days of banter back and forth about useless topics, even the bad crap posted by some of the less informed Leafs fans planning the parade every Fall. I know I do the same for my team and take the shots when they come. Hope this site picks up again.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  09:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not true at all Slozo ?? I don't understand
..let me post a few leaf names of these useless leafs. Lol
.. Some of them couldn't even find an NHL job AT ALL. For god sake , I have no idea how leaf management even thought some of these guys were hockey players.... NO OTHER NHL team would even look at some of these players.... And for good reason, what happened to them after they left Toronto ?? I never heard tell of some of them again !!!! But yet, they found Toronto wanting them ????
Kaberle...went to Boston ( useless ) Montreal ( useless ) I always said he was....
McCabe.... What happened to him after the leafs ??? ( another bonehead , useless )
J . Oneil ... Softie. Washed up ?? Where did he go after toronto ?? Oh right TSN ...
K . Well wood ?? Played some after leafs...
B . Bataglia ???
Chad Kilger ???
Y . Perrault ???
Newbury ???
B . Bell ???
J . Williams ???
I can name 10 fold of rejects for every 1 player ( excluding young talent they traded away too early ) you can post who actually left Toronto , while considered in their prime ... And went on to be successful contributors on other teams .
Most older leaf players who they trade away are never heard tell of again !!! Why ??? Because they're garbage and wouldn't keep a job with another NHL team ...
They're going through it again right now, see what happens when they rid themselves of some of these bums. The only reason most of them are still in Toronto after last season is because NO. ONE. WANTS. THEM. !!!!! They can't get rid of them...
8 points for Kadri so far, 1st line Center my ass
Can't wait for all these morons to go... And be replaced with youth.
Go Leafs Go
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  08:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke, I gotta give it to ya. The word "Die-hard" has to have your name next to it in the dictionary!

It's not often I see ANYTHING positive out of you when it comes to the Leafs, yet there you are, still a fan! Kudos bro!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  08:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

This topic is really the major reason chatter has gone down on this site. Toronto fans wanted to talk good or bad about there team, non leafs fans ragged on them tremendously. Leafs fans found a new place to discuss there team (not on this site) and the rest of the chatter died down. I miss the days of banter back and forth about useless topics, even the bad crap posted by some of the less informed Leafs fans planning the parade every Fall. I know I do the same for my team and take the shots when they come. Hope this site picks up again.

Do you really think that's the problem? Leaf fans leaving? I'm not sure but I did enjoy some of those who don't post anymore (or extremely rarely). I'm hardly around here myself only because I talk to myself in real life enough I figure I don't need to do so online as well!
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  19:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex.. Here's something positive #128526;
Way to go Garrett Sparks !!!!!
More positive to come ;
William Nylander
Mitch Marner
Kasperi Kapanen
Bracco hopefully
Plus more picks coming #128077;#128077;#128077;#128077;
Be more positive in 2 more years maybe. Lol
And yes, I'll always bleed blue #128076;
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  21:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

Do you really think that's the problem? Leaf fans leaving? I'm not sure but I did enjoy some of those who don't post anymore (or extremely rarely). I'm hardly around here myself only because I talk to myself in real life enough I figure I don't need to do so online as well!

Yes, I think once the regular Leaf fans stopped commenting the chatter died down to less than half of what it was, I don't know if it was because the personal shot got to much or if there has been too many options for news and discussion elsewhere that the site is mostly silent. It goes weeks without any new comments, yet I see the polls still rack up votes. Its too bad because its been 12 years since I discovered this site and always appreciated the back and forth.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  21:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke, the upcoming pieces do show promise, but like Edmonton, they have some decent pieces now that are being wasted during this rebuild.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  07:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

It was one of the issues, for sure - for me at least. It's annoying to talk with people who have no interest whatsoever with the team in question that the topic is about, and have them pollute the thread with mindless drivel simply trying to make themselves feel more important or smart. I mean, that's the internet in general, but it was getting to be a bit much here.

There was that, and then fans of other teams complaining that no one talked to them on their team's threads, but then they never made threads about their own teams or commented on them.

And then Beans left in a huff because he couldn't get into any discussion without getting personal and emotional. I think the high point of this site was when Beans and I were at our most active, getting into discussions constantly.

Anyways . . . that's enough about that.

Funny that this comes up in a resurrected Leafs thread from 2008.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  07:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Not true at all Slozo ?? I don't understand
..let me post a few leaf names of these useless leafs. Lol
.. Some of them couldn't even find an NHL job AT ALL. For god sake , I have no idea how leaf management even thought some of these guys were hockey players.... NO OTHER NHL team would even look at some of these players.... And for good reason, what happened to them after they left Toronto ?? I never heard tell of some of them again !!!! But yet, they found Toronto wanting them ????
Kaberle...went to Boston ( useless ) Montreal ( useless ) I always said he was....
McCabe.... What happened to him after the leafs ??? ( another bonehead , useless )
J . Oneil ... Softie. Washed up ?? Where did he go after toronto ?? Oh right TSN ...
K . Well wood ?? Played some after leafs...
B . Bataglia ???
Chad Kilger ???
Y . Perrault ???
Newbury ???
B . Bell ???
J . Williams ???
I can name 10 fold of rejects for every 1 player ( excluding young talent they traded away too early ) you can post who actually left Toronto , while considered in their prime ... And went on to be successful contributors on other teams .
Most older leaf players who they trade away are never heard tell of again !!! Why ??? Because they're garbage and wouldn't keep a job with another NHL team ...
They're going through it again right now, see what happens when they rid themselves of some of these bums. The only reason most of them are still in Toronto after last season is because NO. ONE. WANTS. THEM. !!!!! They can't get rid of them...
8 points for Kadri so far, 1st line Center my ass
Can't wait for all these morons to go... And be replaced with youth.
Go Leafs Go

SO you aren't arguing that Steen wasn't a productive and useful player after he left the Leafs? You aren't arguing that he was better AFTER he left the Leafs, right?

Anton Stralman - let's include him. He was an OK player on the Leafs, but no one was crying when he left. He's gone on to excel on TB, and he is now considered a solid #2 on a Stanley Cup contender.

Honestly Duke, naming players that are already at the end of their careers leaving Toronto is a pointless exercise - you can do that with any team, and you'll have a long list of players that sucked elsewhere. But once you start getting into younger players, it's probably closer to 50/50.

In the end though, as a fan . . . what would you rather have - a bunch of players who we let go becoming good or great players elsewhere? Or knowing that we sold high and made the right decision letting players go?

I actually don't understand the angst there. I'm HAPPY that we let go of Antropov say, and that he didn't excel elsewhere. It means we made the right decision, and don't have anything to cry about! Same with Kulemin. Same with Grabovski. etc.

It's the Stralmans and Steens of the Leafs world that I personally cry about, wishing management had made a better decision.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  11:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I think Toronto's problem use to be hanging on to a player too long and not getting a decent return before it was apparent the player was on the decline. The only problem they have had recently is hanging onto a player too long while there was a controversy, also reducing there trade return. There are a few players Toronto traded that became something somewhere else, but generally Toronto brings in players and eeks out good returns with average talent.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  15:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just thought of the perfect trade for Toronto. Phaneuf is a $8 million cap hit and is solidly defensively, except when he makes those pinching plays, massive hit-miss checking plays which leave him out of position. He generally eats TOI, while putting up respectable points year in and year out in almost all game situations. Toronto fans as a rule don't respect him and think he should be shopped, which trust me, has been done 2-3 years running and counting. The longer his contract goes the lower his actual pay becomes, so a team on a budget with cap space to spend would be smart taking on his contract if they see the value this guy brings.

Brings me to my second point, the Big Buff in Winnipeg is due for a resign and is definitely going to draw similar money. Nobody complains when Buff eats up time on the PP or pinches on a play or lays out a crushing check. Nobody is going to mistake him for the current Leafs captain, although statistically speaking and age wise the are extremely similar. Buff could come in replace Phanuefs TOI in almost the same fashion, except PK and at the end of the year Toronto could go hard at signing him long term. The worst case scenario is Toronto ends up with massive cap space. Winnipeg fills the whole Buff would leave, with IMO a better defenseman who is unloved by his current fan base.

Why hasn't this happened?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  06:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just thought of the perfect trade for Toronto. Phaneuf is a $8 million cap hit and is solidly defensively, except when he makes those pinching plays, massive hit-miss checking plays which leave him out of position. He generally eats TOI, while putting up respectable points year in and year out in almost all game situations. Toronto fans as a rule don't respect him and think he should be shopped, which trust me, has been done 2-3 years running and counting. The longer his contract goes the lower his actual pay becomes, so a team on a budget with cap space to spend would be smart taking on his contract if they see the value this guy brings.

Brings me to my second point, the Big Buff in Winnipeg is due for a resign and is definitely going to draw similar money. Nobody complains when Buff eats up time on the PP or pinches on a play or lays out a crushing check. Nobody is going to mistake him for the current Leafs captain, although statistically speaking and age wise the are extremely similar. Buff could come in replace Phanuefs TOI in almost the same fashion, except PK and at the end of the year Toronto could go hard at signing him long term. The worst case scenario is Toronto ends up with massive cap space. Winnipeg fills the whole Buff would leave, with IMO a better defenseman who is unloved by his current fan base.

Why hasn't this happened?

To answer the actual question, it hasn't happened because trades don't happen very often this early in the season. That, and it doesn't fit the Leafs' longterm rebuild goals I think.

Toronto will be looking for a return from Phaneuf in the form of young talent and/or picks. And the other thing is. ..I can nearly guarantee that Babcock, Lamiourello and Shanahan want no part of any new player coming on this team that has had work ethic / commitment issues. Big Buff is a very solid player, but he won't be coming to Toronto.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page