Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Central Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Winnipeg / Atlanta
 Atlanta in talks to move to Winnipeg? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2011 :  16:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Oil, I knew you were joking and thought it was pretty funny. And Fatty, the only thing good about the Edmonton "Flames" is the name. LOL!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2011 :  19:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the moose as an animal, but as a moniker for an NHL team . . . I also think it doesn't quite cut it. And changing it to Manitoba as opposed to Winnipeg . . . hmm. Not sure about that either.

One thing is certain - new merchandise HAS to be created, and a whole crapload of revenue stream has to be made from a team coming back . . . so, I think the Jets will not come back as a name.

The Manitoba Lakers? Maybe not . . .

The Winnipeg Kegs! Drinking town it is . . .

The Manitoba Reserves . . . because of all the native reserves and the . . . ah, they'll never get that meaning out of it, will they?

I got it!

The Manitoba Mighty Mosquitoes.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2011 :  20:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On TSN I heard that possibly the "Manitoba Gold"
-Blue Bombers colours, blue and gold
-Baseball team is the Goldeyes
-The Golden Boy statue
-There is also gold in Manitoba

To me that seems way too simple and would never work
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  09:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few other name ideas I have heard are Rebels because of Louis Riel and Voyageurs

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2011 :  22:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the Winnipeg Jetfire, or something else that incorporates the word jets.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2011 :  23:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Manitoba Moose would be a good hockey name, but too many puns.

Moose: a big animal that is mean if you get in its way... think Chris Pronger.

As long as they don't use another force of nature, because with the recent weather they've had, the Winnipeg Flood, or Manitoba Rain must have come up in somebody's mind.

And, no names you can turn into verbs or bad puns, the commentators will beat them to death like they do now:

"Atlanta really handed out a thrashing!"
"The Flames got doused."
"Its worse than the Gulf Coast for Edmonton on the ice tonight"
"Watch out, its hurricane season in Carolina"
"The Predators finally caught their prey"
"The opposing team is stepping into some dangerous, shark-infested waters tonight in San Jose"
"It was a Wild game in Minnesota"
"No Kings will be crowned in LA this year"
"The Coyotes will live to howl another year"

but wait, there's more:

"Ottawa just couldn't reform the other team tonight" (double points if you got that one!)
"The Colorado goalie is really facing an Avalanche of shots"
"We've got a Blackhawk down!"
"The Wings are really flying"
"Buffalo got their swords crossed on that play!"
"The Stars have really lined up for Dallas tonight"
"New Jersey is playing a Devil of a game"
"Anaheim has all their ducks in a row for the offseason"
"The Philadelphia defenseman took a flyer on that play"
"The Penguins players were really waddling to the bench on that play, costing them a Too Many Meny On The Ice Penalty"
"The Capitals really punctuated that beautiful passing sequence with goal!"
"St. Louis will be playing the Blues this offseason"
"The New York goalie is really one man on an Island with the way his defense is playing"

I think I missed Boston, NYR, Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver

Go to Top of Page

Guest9672
( )

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  13:11:23  Reply with Quote
It's now official. Winnipeg will get the Trasher. Don,t have the link yet, just saw it on TV
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  23:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see anything official anywhere yet (nothing on TSN or NHL anyway) From the stories on TSN it seems imminent though. Thursday/Friday is what I'm reading.
Go to Top of Page

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  00:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what happened to that whole tuesday thing
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  04:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9672

It's now official. Winnipeg will get the Trasher. Don,t have the link yet, just saw it on TV

Thanks for that breaking story!

The Winnipeg . . . Trashers. Nice!

They'll . . . take out the trash in the 'Peg.

Don't try to argue with them - they'll trash you.

I'm here all night folks.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  07:43:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is the rubber chicken avatar Slozo?? That might be the only thing missing from your shtick!!

Where is the news report from??? Brandon??? Flin Flon?? Where?? I can tell you right now, if and when that team moves, you will see a story posted on TSN immediately.

Sit tight, it will happen.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  08:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Where is the rubber chicken avatar Slozo?? That might be the only thing missing from your shtick!!

Where is the news report from??? Brandon??? Flin Flon?? Where?? I can tell you right now, if and when that team moves, you will see a story posted on TSN immediately.

Sit tight, it will happen.

yeah i'm partial to not believeing anything untill Bob Mckenzie and tsn announce it

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2011 :  10:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I should post this here for posterity:

May 31, 2011

Earlier today, we, along with our partners, signed an asset purchase agreement to sell the Atlanta Thrashers to True North Sports and Entertainment. If ratified by the NHL, Commissioner Bettman and the league's Board of Governors, this will result in the relocation of the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg, Canada beginning with the 2011-2012 season.

It's extremely disappointing to all of us that it became necessary after all other options were exhausted. We want to express my gratitude to you, the fans, for the years of dedication you have offered to the Atlanta Thrashers.

As many of you know, for some time we have been seeking a buyer for the team or a partner willing to join with us in continuing to fund the team. We hired an investment banking firm to seek out potential investors with the express goal of finding someone who would keep the team here in Atlanta. In recent months, we openly indicated a growing urgency to secure assistance in off-setting our operating losses in hopes that our public plea would produce investors which, to that point, had eluded us.

After extensive effort, nobody has come forward. As a result, we had no choice but to explore the investment option presented to us by the NHL in the form of True North Sports and Entertainment.

Relocation of the Thrashers is not the outcome that any of us ultimately wanted. We knew when we purchased the club in 2004, that professional sports teams are seldom, if ever, money-making investments but rather vital community assets. We believed in the overall impact that the team had on the sports landscape of Atlanta, and over the past seven years, invested a significant amount of money into what we felt was an integral piece of the greater metropolitan Atlanta area. We are truly grateful to have been a part of this city's professional hockey history, to have made an indelible impact on the community through our players' outreach, our organization's activities and our foundation's donations, and most of all, to have been a part of paying tribute to you, our fans, each and every time our team stepped on the ice.

Thank you for the opportunity to be entertained, thrilled and inspired alongside you by Atlanta Thrashers hockey. None of this would have been possible without your support.

Sincerely,

Bruce Levenson and Michael Gearon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page