Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Philadelphia
 Carter to Columbus, Richards to L.A Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  10:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

Methinks Philly has finally addressed their goaltending issues once and for all!!

Unless....Bryzgalov's turn to tank??

It seems that Philly is a serious cup-contender for the next couple years now.

I disagree with this. They picked up a good goalie, but one who's not done a whole lot in the playoffs, albeit, not exactly on powerhouses. They've also dealt a guy (Carter) who`s goal totals in the last 4 years are 29, 46, 33 and 36 while also averaging around 65 points per year over that span. Throw in the dealing of Richards who`s avg`d 70+ points for the past 4 years as well as two 30+ goal seasons (and a 28) in there.

Don`t kid yourself, they`ve given up A LOT! The Flyers had better hope Giroux continues his play from this year or even improves on it as well as JVR stepping up even moreso than before. Don`t forget, these guys are gonna see better dmen checking them now as the focus of the offense!

The other thing is, they can`t expect a ton from Schenn immediately as he`s only got 9 NHL games on his resume. Not to say he won`t be the next coming of Jeff Skinner or Logan Couture, but tough to expect that of any young kid!

Looking at this, i don`t see Philly as being as strong of a contender for the next couple years as they have been the past couple.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4312
( )

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  11:04:45  Reply with Quote
lol every thread turns to be about the leafs somehow.
and i don't wanan sound too much like a jerk but burke does absolutely nothing yesterday and you guys are praising him because mike richards must have something wrong that burke telepathically found out about.... he isn't that good of a gm or that smart of a dude, just admit he didn't get the player he should have even though he had an opportunity to. If burke got mike richards yesterday none of you leaf fans would be ripping these threads apart in anger yet you rejoice when he got nothing... :S
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  17:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

Methinks Philly has finally addressed their goaltending issues once and for all!!

Unless....Bryzgalov's turn to tank??

It seems that Philly is a serious cup-contender for the next couple years now.

I disagree with this. They picked up a good goalie, but one who's not done a whole lot in the playoffs, albeit, not exactly on powerhouses. They've also dealt a guy (Carter) who`s goal totals in the last 4 years are 29, 46, 33 and 36 while also averaging around 65 points per year over that span. Throw in the dealing of Richards who`s avg`d 70+ points for the past 4 years as well as two 30+ goal seasons (and a 28) in there.

Don`t kid yourself, they`ve given up A LOT! The Flyers had better hope Giroux continues his play from this year or even improves on it as well as JVR stepping up even moreso than before. Don`t forget, these guys are gonna see better dmen checking them now as the focus of the offense!

The other thing is, they can`t expect a ton from Schenn immediately as he`s only got 9 NHL games on his resume. Not to say he won`t be the next coming of Jeff Skinner or Logan Couture, but tough to expect that of any young kid!

Looking at this, i don`t see Philly as being as strong of a contender for the next couple years as they have been the past couple.

I fully disagree with you, Alex.

I believe that they had such a deep set of forwards that they had the room to sacrifice a little there (as a net result, mind you) in order to beef up A LOT in their back end in the form of Bryzgalov.
There's no reason to think they won't be as strong as they were if not better. It's amazing what reliable goaltending can do for a team.
But only time will tell, right?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  18:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Alex - a lot of changes in PHI, truth is no one knows how they'll turn out next year.

The gave up 2 extremely talented forwards, and a significant amount of their offense - not only direct offense, but indirect. How many points do players like Giroux, JVM, Leino get without the very solid play and point production of a Carter and Richards? That is a massive amount of offense to lose all at once. As Alex says, players like Giroux and JVM are going to see more time on the top lines - and are going to see better checkers, more attention paid to them. They'll see more minutes - are they ready for more minutes? Will they gel with their new forward partners in similar fashion?

Obviously I trust Holmgren to know what he's doing, but replacing your top-2 offensive players, who play in all 3 situations, is a pretty significant move. I think this is a great move for them longer-term - but next year is up in the air IMO. The first 20-30 games will tell you how it panned out.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  18:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just skimmed through the majority of the posts, so forgive me if it's been mentioned already. But i've read a few articles today that has hinted at the Philadelphia Flyers possibly being players in the Brad Richards sweepstakes
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  18:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I know I'm in the minority here, but I am confident that the significant improvement on the back end was well worth forcing guys like Briere, JVR, Giroux, Leino, Versteeg to carry the load while also having some added scoring depth with Zherdev and Voracek. Add in emerging players such as Nodl and Simmonds and a blue chip in Schenn. You've also got the physical presence of Hartnell and Carcillo (he's an RFA).
That's an excellent mix of forwards where I come from!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2011 :  18:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
99 Pickles - no one is saying they didn't get fair return by today's standards, and no one is saying that Philly didn't have tremendous depth at forward.

But players like Mike Richards and Jeff Carter are rare, and no one player they got back is the equal of either. Schenn might become equal in value to one of them, but, probably not. Same with the first rounder.

Players of that quality don't get passed around while they are in their prime very often at all . . . which is why I am surprised they did it twice in one day. But again . . . maybe they know something we don't.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2011 :  07:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still surprised they traded Mike Richards. The Flyers got a good (potentially great) return though. Brayden Schenn is considered by most to be the top prospect not playing in the NHL last season, and Sean Courturier was a projected top 2 pick at the start of the season. I don't think we've seen the best of Jacub Voracek yet, and Wayne Simmonds will be a great fit in Philly. And the trades also free up the cap space to sign both Ilya Bryzgalov & Ville Leino. Even without Richards & Carter, Philly still has an impressive group of fowards.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9271
( )

Posted - 06/26/2011 :  08:36:40  Reply with Quote
Agreed, but i don't see how these trades make philly better in the short term. Other than the upgrade in nets, I actually think philly is a weaker team next year. Van rymsdyke better be as good as people think he is.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  12:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently Jeff Carter isn't too pleased to have been dealt..............................

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Blue-Jackets-send-diplomatic-envoy-to-hold-Jeff-;_ylt=AviACl1M5_qb6wLqqvy3TFIJfwM6?urn=nhl-wp8115
Go to Top of Page

Guest4312
( )

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  14:32:44  Reply with Quote
1 reason he shouldn't be mad: going to columbus .... it's part of the business people get traded from good teams to bad teams and vice versa you make millions of dollars to score goals who cares where you do it.

2 reasons why he can be mad:
a) he specifically asked about the trade rumours and was lied to
b) he took a pay cut to stick with a contender and win a cup now he is getting that pay in columbus where it could be year (or never in his career) that they contend
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  15:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can understand the frustration obviously if Carter wanted to hiot the open market he could have go close to 2 million more per year on his contract, he clearly wanted to stay in philly and win and now he`s going to the other end of the spectrum a rebuilding team that is more than a couple big pieaces away from a serious cup run, and espcially when you asked your gm if their were any truth behind the rumours nd are told no, well that just adds fuel to the fire

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  15:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

99 Pickles - no one is saying they didn't get fair return by today's standards, and no one is saying that Philly didn't have tremendous depth at forward.

But players like Mike Richards and Jeff Carter are rare, and no one player they got back is the equal of either. Schenn might become equal in value to one of them, but, probably not. Same with the first rounder.

Players of that quality don't get passed around while they are in their prime very often at all . . . which is why I am surprised they did it twice in one day. But again . . . maybe they know something we don't.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Not sure what we are arguing about then....my statement is that they made an overall net improvement (pun intended ) regardless of how valuable Richards and Carter are.
The Flyers just have so much depth at forward (and a tremendous mix as well) that it was worth getting a top tier goalie when the dust settled.

I just don't that they either took a step back, or will be anything less than a top contender for the next few seasons. I suggest they have even further improved upon the team they had the last 2 seasons as
well.

I just know from all the opinions I've seen both here and in the cyber-world that the majority of hockey enthusiasts think that the team was weakened through these moves, even going so far as to compare Holmgren to Mike Milbury.

That's all
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page