Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 "Dirty" Ron FIRED! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  07:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A week after the trade change of coach (sorry), let's take a look at the results.

@ Montreal - Win - 67 pts, in 11th place-3 pts back of 8th
Boston - Loss
Pittsburgh - Loss
Philadelphia - Loss(SO)
@Washington - Loss, 68 pts, in 12th place - 8 pts back of 8th
@Florida
@ Tampa Bay
@ Ottawa
@Boston
New York Islanders
@ New Jersey
New York
Carolina
Philadelphia
Buffalo
@Buffalo
Tampa Bay
@ Montreal

It's basically run the table time for the Leafs. If the want to get to 90 pts, they need to win 11 of the next 13 games. 8 pts out with 13 games to play is bad news.

Sorry Leaf fans, and I mean that sincerely. With the way the Leafs played through the first 40ish games I would have bet it more likely they make the playoffs than not.

On a side note, I think Carlylye does have this team playing better defensively than Wilson did. But it comes down to simply too little and too late.

Edited by - Beans15 on 03/12/2012 09:10:12
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  08:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they have defintely gotten better defensively, however they have sacrificed all offense in doing so.

2 goals in 3 games? and only 1 point out of 6...
i think they would have been better letting wilson finish up the season and carlyle starting fresh in the offseason.

on a side note that 2nd round pick for JM Liles is starting to look a lot better than it did a year ago... anywhere between 30th and 40th is fantastic in this draft. not saying liles hasn't played well, simply saying the trade looks more even

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  10:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the dream of finally making the playoffs after 7 odd years is over, in my mind. The Leafs are done like dinner, roasted like potatoes, smoked like yesterday's bacon.

Man, I'm hungry.

I've gotta admit, I have totally lost my joy for the Leafs and a little part of the golden hockey puck inside my heart died this year. It's gonna take a pretty sweet year or two to rekindle that fire.

I'll watch the playoffs - don't get me wrong. I'm a hockey fan first, Leafs fan second. I'll probably cheer a bit for Winnipeg when they make the playoffs even. I'm just . . . just so sick of losing. It's wearing extremely thin on me . . . especially in years like this, when I look at the team and know that this roster SHOULD be making the playoffs (well, perhaps with the addition of having acquired a decent vet goalie in the summer).

sigh.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Lee Marshall
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  10:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya...It's over for yet another lousy year. Burke waited WAY too long to make the Dirty Ron move...and didn't make the other moves needed.

Playoff hockey is so much LESS interesting when you don't have a dog in the fight.

45 years and counting. I'm in my 'blinkin' 60s for goodness sake. Will I live to see the blue and white hoist the cup again? Maybe...but I'm not gonna bet on it.

After Brian trundles off...IN SHAME...I wonder who the next "saviour" will be?

Seemingly...there isn't one. [although Pierre Gauthier looks to be entirely available ]

Who the cap fits...Let them wear it.
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  18:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree slozo, it's been especially tough watching them lose yet again, when they have better players then previous years. I've already had talks with friends of mine of hanging up the jerseys, scraping off tattoos with SOS pads (jokingly) this year is a wash, but there is a positive, as mentioned Carlyle has the team playing better defensively in just a couple games, maybe he can get some offense back, with a couple offseason pickups (perhaps a goalie) maybe next year this team can play consistently from day 1 under the new coach. If not, surely Burke's days will be numbered....

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page

Guest5401
( )

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  19:13:29  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shepsky

I agree slozo, it's been especially tough watching them lose yet again, when they have better players then previous years. I've already had talks with friends of mine of hanging up the jerseys, scraping off tattoos with SOS pads (jokingly) this year is a wash, but there is a positive, as mentioned Carlyle has the team playing better defensively in just a couple games, maybe he can get some offense back, with a couple offseason pickups (perhaps a goalie) maybe next year this team can play consistently from day 1 under the new coach. If not, surely Burke's days will be numbered....

-Mario Lemieux

What is wrong with you leaf fans!!!!
IF they continue to get better defensively
IF the offence picks up
IF they pickup some better players this summer
IF they pickup a goalie
IF Burke can get the best players from canucks and bruins and make a leaf team....
IF ..... IF ...... IF .....
It has been like this for 45 years and counting!!!!
For people from the outside of toronto, and looking / reading these comments... you do not realize how pathetic y'all sound!
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  04:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow..... did you honestly just call leaf fans pathetic, and then use the "word" y'all???? you [ moderator edit ] HILLBILLY!!!

-Mario Lemieux

Edited by - n/a on 03/13/2012 04:28:44
Go to Top of Page

Guest9279
( )

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  04:43:45  Reply with Quote
Thats why you Leaf fans are so tormented. You are already looking for magic next year, I can remember the hype for Kadri at the begining of the year. Wasn't Joe Colborrne your second line center. Wasn't Connolly the a 50 to 60 point man you needed. So high expectations and so litle results. The only good news i can leave you leaf fans is that you will probably end up with a lottery pick. Keep it and draft a top notch center. Also as of right now Dirty Ron had a better winning percentage than Carlyle.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  04:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leafers,

You all know what is coming - please, just ignore the hate. Ignore the useless comments.

There is no getting around the type of ignorant personality that loves to pile misery and disgust on a fan of any team . . . it just shows what kind of person they are. Let it stand on its own, without additional commentary . . . comments like that should be given the respect they deserve, and that is to be utterly ignored.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9279
( )

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  05:04:01  Reply with Quote
Please Leafers ignore the truth. Keep dreaming.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  05:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Guest 9279,

Tell us, what team are you a fan of?
And why, if you are not a Leaf fan . . . why all the posts in these "meaningless" Leaf threads?

Wouldn't that be a waste of time for a smart, savvy guy like yourself? Wasting time typing silly little barbs at a team that is going to miss the playoffs again . . . as if that somehow makes you look intelligent?

Or hey - maybe I just need to hear your vast knowledge on the subject of hockey. Do you, in fact, have anything to contribute here, outside of immature, high school put-downs?

Go to Top of Page

Lee Marshall
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  06:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meanwhile facts are facts and reality sucks.

Florida. Ottawa. They both elevated WAY faster than expected and *we* can't seem to find a way to find our way. It IS miserable. 45 years of this and we're still hanging in. Many a franchise would have folded due to lack of interest. Leaf fans may not be fullfilled. BUT...at least we're loyal.

And those who take cheap shots are just that...cheap.

Who the cap fits...Let them wear it.
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  07:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone here thinking that the leafs brought in carlyle with 20 games left in the season and said heres my system learn and lets make a playoff run this year. is kidding themselves. this move was a lets try next year move.

burke and carlyle said salvage with the media as a scapegoat.
what they told their players was this year is done lets focus on next year and get the new system in place now.

i am very interested in seeing how the young guys on the marlies react to the new head coach in training camp this year.
over all though not very excited about the leafs these days. i think in order to get the same enthusiasm that i had would take no less that two play off berths in back to back seasons.

Edited by - mandree888 on 03/13/2012 07:27:42
Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  08:08:08  Reply with Quote
quote:

burke and carlyle said salvage with the media as a scapegoat.
what they told their players was this year is done lets focus on next year and get the new system in place now.

Right.....
And YOU know this because.... you were there??
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  08:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no i wasnt there and anything i said IS specualtion. but no GM or Coach can expect a team of 22 guys (not to mention coachs) to learn a new system in 20 games and then continue in the playoffs.

Edited by - mandree888 on 03/13/2012 08:17:22
Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  09:00:48  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mandree888

no i wasnt there and anything i said IS specualtion. but no GM or Coach can expect a team of 22 guys (not to mention coachs) to learn a new system in 20 games and then continue in the playoffs.

exactly...
so how dumb does Burke think his team's fans are?
Leaf fans should go back to throwing waffles, only this time towards his booth, not on the ice.
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  09:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the fans are not what burke was using the scapegoat for it was the media because the media would blow it completely out of proportion. and even though he is the presedient and GM of the leafs there are higher ups. he MUST say salvage. other wise his job is gone just like ron's.
he was not saing salvage to make the fans happy he said it to ease the storm that is the toronto media. also to save his job.
this is just my opnion however.

i have been wrong before i would bet 1 million dollars i will be wrong again sooner or later.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  15:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm, I know a team that can learn a new system in less than 20 games. What about the St Louis Blues. Hitchcock totally turned that team on it's head almost immediately and they have beens stellar since the minute he walked in the door.

The reason they same things didn't happen to the Leafs is for two reasons. Firstly. Carlyle is not a huge step up compared to Wilson. Secondly, TO just doesn't have the horses to be a great team. Good team with amazing speed and some pretty good pieces in places. But they are just not that good of a team.

And Slozo, why get cross. Just because people like drilling on the Leaf??? C'mon. There were many, many of us at the start of the season predicting the Leafs to do exactly what they have done. Many, many Leaf fans disagreed. Salt in a open wound. I told you so. What ever you want to call it. It is what it is.

but I can't blame you too much for being defensive. The Leafs, sadly, are still a ways away from being where their fans want them to be. It sucks, I know. I cheer for the Oilers, remember. I have lived the same life as Leaf fans for the past 5 years. But reality is just that. If your team sucks, expect the boo birds to come out.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  15:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Umm, I know a team that can learn a new system in less than 20 games. What about the St Louis Blues. Hitchcock totally turned that team on it's head almost immediately and they have beens stellar since the minute he walked in the door.

Also, didn't Dan Bylsma do the same thing in PIT when he was hired with 24 games to go in 08/09? 5 points out of the playoffs when he was hired, end up finishing 4th in the conference and winning the cup that year.

I agree with beans: average team + new coach != better team

Edited by - nuxfan on 03/13/2012 15:51:42
Go to Top of Page

Guest5401
( )

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  15:37:31  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow..... did you honestly just call leaf fans pathetic, and then use the "word" y'all???? you [ moderator edit ] HILLBILLY!!!

-Mario Lemieux

Truth hurts, don't it bubba?
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  17:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree with you beans, I didn't really think Carlyle was too much of an upgrade, not even close to a Hitchcock, or even Bylsma, this season is already gone. But it's not like leafs fans (or any true hockey fan) is just going to be like, well they won't make the playoffs AGAIN, I'm really happy with this team. Leafs fans are going to voice what they think is wrong with the team. The problem with a team with such a massive fan base, is you have an equal amount of people that hate them, and every time we as hockey fans voice that we hate it that our team is losing, and the haters are right there to say they love it.

-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page

Guest4220
( )

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  19:10:16  Reply with Quote
quote:
\The problem with a team with such a massive fan base, is you have an equal amount of people that hate them, and every time we as hockey fans voice that we hate it that our team is losing, and the haters are right there to say they love it.

The problem with such a huge fan base is that you have a huge amount of annoying people that think anyone wearing a blue maple leaf on the jersey is a god and won't hear otherwise.

This leads to annoying people who then hate leaf fans. So that when the leafs don't do well like the last 7 years the annoyed people pick on the annoying leaf fans and you get this type of high school trash talking.

Look at another team with a huge fan base - montreal. The fans knew they sucked and they have been ripping into their own team since almost the start of the season. I find it much harder to hate montreal fans - except those punks who trashed their city during the playoff than leaf fans (and I don't care what the fourth line banger says). Note I'm neither a leafs or habs fan.

Oh yeah, back on topic. I think Burke needs to go outside his comfort zones if he wants success in TO. Wilson and Carlysle are known to him. He won't risk upping a newbie or an assistant from another team. Carlysle will likely fail with the group he has and that will be the end of Burke and Carlysle.
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  19:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, guest4220, I actually agree with you. I love the fact that habs fans rip into their team when they are losing, and they stop filling the stadium so much when they are losing. I don't think the Leafs are god, they definitely need to make some changes, but there is some undeniably good players on the team. But that can be said about a lot of teams in the league, because there is a lot of talent in the NHL, which is why it is the world's best. I also couldn't agree with you more that Burke needs to go out of his social circle to get this team rolling again. Wilson kept his job for so long because he was college buddies with Burke, now Carlyle who is also long time associates of Burke, and a lot of big trades have still happened from Anaheim to Toronto.

-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page