Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Team canada predictions? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  08:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really think Marty St.Louis deserves to be there! Somewhat surprised as well that Claude Giroux isn't on the team.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4062
( )

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  10:28:33  Reply with Quote
The team Canada management are in a win or nothing situation. If they win gold, no one will ever question any of the choices. If they do not win gold, they will be criticized for ever for their choices.

In my opinions the glaring ommisions were Thornton, Giroux, St. Louis, Lucic, Seabrook, Boyle. I would have dropped Hamhuis (this is shocking), Vlasic, Benn, Bergeron, Nash, and Carter.

If team Canada loses not taking guys like Hall and Seguin will be pointed too but they also lack experience so I think they will get a pass for leaving these guys at home.

Too many good players is never a bad thing and we all knew some good ones would be left at home.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  12:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Notable exclusions

St Louis
Thorton
Sequin
Hall
Giroux
Neal
Boyle
Stall
Seabrook
Giordano

Guys on the team not on my list on the team

Benn
Bergeron
Duchene
Sharp
Vlasic

Surprised by a few but not really disappointed. I wouldn't have put Bergeron on my team based on his skating, size and his poor year so far. Surprised Benn made the team, but Sequin and/or Hall did not. Benn is a good player, true goal scorer and has good skating ability, but is really having a breakout year with Sequin as his setup guy and 1 would think if Benn was selected both would be. Hall in my opinion is a better goal scorer than Benn, but I understand he doesn't have a full 100 foot game like others selected. I wish they had taken St Louis and Thorton, but I understand they wanted younger and more pure goalscorers than older, set up guys, but these 2 are some of the best set up guys in the game. To me this is a mistake. Taking Kunitz, but not Neal is a head scratcher, but I understand they are wanting chemistry with Crosby, but I think today Neal is the better player of the 2. The guys not taken on defense over the ones not on my list seem smart from a defensive aspect and not having Seabrook is ok to me. He will probably be the first one to get the call if injuries occur on the blueline. Goaltending seems good to me. Overall I am happy with the selection's
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  15:08:25  Reply with Quote
Unless I'm missing someone, I count six team captains on Canada's roster. That's pretty good for leadership, but interestingly, a number of close calls for selections (but not selected) are captains of their respective teams: Mark Giodano, Eric Staal, Joe Thornton, Claude Giroux and Martin St. Louis. (And Dion Phaneuf and Jason Spezza for those who think these two players were close calls to make the team too.)

I seem to recall a record number of team captains in Team Canada's roster in 2010, but I couldn't find the number. Anyone know?

As for Canada's team captain for 2014, there are a number of good choices, but I think Sidney Crosby is most likely going to be named the team captain.
Go to Top of Page

Guest3792
( )

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  16:08:00  Reply with Quote
Hey Joshua, Benn is not having a breakout year (especially because playing with Sequin). He has been flying under the radar for at least 2years if you ask me. I think it is more safe to say Sequin is having a breakout year because he is playing with Benn. You can even look towards Loui Erikkson. He was a 70 point player in Dallas playing with Benn and is now on pace for maybe 45, maybe 60 if not for injuries.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  16:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well 2/3 of Pittsburgh's first line will be there; Kunitz was named this morning.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=699521&cmpid=pit-fb-penguins

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Maverick9
Top Prospect

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  23:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4062

The team Canada management are in a win or nothing situation. If they win gold, no one will ever question any of the choices. If they do not win gold, they will be criticized for ever for their choices.

In my opinions the glaring ommisions were Thornton, Giroux, St. Louis, Lucic, Seabrook, Boyle. I would have dropped Hamhuis (this is shocking), Vlasic, Benn, Bergeron, Nash, and Carter.

Surprising you and Joshua would drop Bergeron. While his stats may not be incredible, the guy is unquestionably, a winner. He has won Olympic gold, World Junior gold, Stanley Cup, World Championship gold, and a Spengler cup championship. Not to mention, he is one of the top 3 defensive forwards in the league and an ace on faceoffs. He is the heart and soul of the Bruins and his value goes far beyond goals and assists.

Bergy may not light up the score sheet, but he brings all the intangibles that every championship team needs.

Edited by - Maverick9 on 01/07/2014 23:23:09
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  03:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest3792

Hey Joshua, Benn is not having a breakout year (especially because playing with Sequin). He has been flying under the radar for at least 2years if you ask me. I think it is more safe to say Sequin is having a breakout year because he is playing with Benn. You can even look towards Loui Erikkson. He was a 70 point player in Dallas playing with Benn and is now on pace for maybe 45, maybe 60 if not for injuries.

The are both excellent players. I think the biggest reason though for Tyler Seguins breakout season is simply because he's been giving the opportunity to be a number 1 centre. You're right that Benn has been putting up solid numbers for a few years, but was on par with Seguin last season (33 to 32). And I don't think Loui Erikssons current point totals have anything to do with Jamie Benn. More a product of Boston's system and his roll on the team, and the concussion troubles he had this season. Erikssons point totals dropped off last season actually while still playing with Benn. Erikssons numbers were virtually identical whether he was playing with Bad Richards, Mike Ribeiro or Benn.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page