Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2013 off-season...the most interesting in history? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  12:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heard today that Ottawa was in the mix for Grabovski as well as Pheonix, Washington, etc, etc. In the article which talked about Grabo vs Gagner, had a link which compared Grabo, to Wellwood, Gomez and Antropov, as well as Gagner. It talked about possession, faceoff placement and opposition numbers between the players in the article. It showed kindly to the defensive numbers Grabovski had, as well as highlighted his skills in defensive zone faceoffs. The stats presented didn't highlight last years drop in stats, but did highlight his other attributes. Saying his lack of production was a result of his 3rd and 4th line minutes and linemates, playing him in the top 6 in Ottawa could bring an increase in stats at or near his prior level.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/07/14/toronto-maple-leafs-reject-mikhail-grabovski-tops-a-thin-group-of-remaining-ufa-centres/

Not certain if Ottawa is lacking a top 6 centerman, but if they can sign him to a decent contract, $3.5 or so, it would give them the ability to shop some of the depth centerman Ottawa currently has, to bolster there blueline, which is lacking veteran presence, which is about the only place I see weakness in this years Ottawa roster. Plus I'd love to see him play in the division which bought him out.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 08/08/2013 12:36:01
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  13:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/53016-Report-NHL-to-assume-control-of-indebted-New-Jersey-Devils.html

Finally some really interesting news for the NHL. The league has finally taken control of the ownership of the Devils. I don't know why prior ownership was so indebt, but the NHL has decided that they will not allow the franchise to enter Bankruptcy and has taken control of the Devils to seek a more financially stable ownership. Wonder if Kovalchuk would have gone to KHL if the NHL had taken this action months ago.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  13:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other reports say that Bettman is denying this story about the Devils. Who know for sure but I can say one thing, the NHL jumped out of one fire in Phoenix and has another fire to deal with in New Jersey.

And they will eventually have another fire in Phoenix.

Frankly speaking, the NHL would be a financially healthier league and has a better on ice product if they went from 30 to 24 teams.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  14:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/08/08/sp-nhl-new-jersey-devils-nhl-negotiations.html

Found the story you referred to. I guess it was Forbes saying it looks like and cbc.ca ran with the story saying it was happening. Without the Nets, the Prudential Center can't make projected income/expenses. Hopefully New Jersey can right the ship. Would be a shame to see a successful franchise fall like the Devils. Would be a great franchise to slip into Quebec City though, if relocation is possible. Moving truck wouldn't have to go too far and it wouldn't add to the imbalance in the conference's.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  14:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Jersey is an intersting story. They had success on the ice under GM Lou Lamoriello but they have never been a financial success. Even before their days in New Jersey they were the original Colorado Rockies who were relocated due to lack of fan engagement and financial success. Prior to that, they were the Kansas City Scouts who were relocated to Colorado because of .....(you know the story)

Maybe that franchise was doomed from the start

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Edited by - Beans15 on 08/08/2013 14:36:40
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  11:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, how come that super great second line player Grabovski hasn't been picked up by anyone yet? I'm so excited to see him tear it up on a playoff-bound team . . .

[note: dripping with sarcasm]

Just trying to keep this thread alive folks, I'm here all week!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  12:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-bernier-unveils-new-goalie-gear/ for those interested this is berniers new leafs pads and helm
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  08:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Hey, how come that super great second line player Grabovski hasn't been picked up by anyone yet? I'm so excited to see him tear it up on a playoff-bound team . . .

[note: dripping with sarcasm]

Just trying to keep this thread alive folks, I'm here all week!

I am actually surprised it has taken Grabo this long to be signed. I keep reading about teams interested, but yet to hear of him being close to signing. Apparently, although he insists he wishes to play in the NHL next season, KHL teams have continued to show interest. NHL teams at this point are looking to offer short term contracts, 1 year like, but at the numbers he wishes to play for.

Also hurting his chances to sign is the market for a top 6 centerman, which isn't as strong as I thought it would be. Had Dallas not brought in 3 centerman, they might have been the team most likely to need his services. Washington is determined to give Laich a chance, although hockey insiders insist Grabo is an upgrade. Not many teams looking for a top 6 centerman, which he feels strongly and he might be right, is his best fit. If he does sign short term before training camp, he may have to play his way from the bottom 6 into a top 6 role, to earn the longer contract he is seeking. Either way I don't expect this guy to be sitting at home watching hockey on the tele.

Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  11:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
according to TSN radio, Grabo is close to signing a contract with the Capitals. one has to assume the job as 2nd line center will be his to lose. but he'll get some competition from the likes of Laich, Johansson, and Perreault.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  11:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Douglas Murray signed a 1 year deal with the Montreal Canadiens at 1.5 million, good low risk high reward signing, brings some much needed size and physical presence to the habs blueline espcially with Emelin out of the line up untill December!

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  12:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the news on the Kadri unsigned story. As an outsider I have to wonder how Toronto fans feel about this. $5 million to sign 2 of the better future players in the organization, which might be a choice down the road of 1 or the other.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23238414/nazem-kadri-says-cap-issues-not-his-job-reportedly-looking-for-home-run

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  13:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

Douglas Murray signed a 1 year deal with the Montreal Canadiens at 1.5 million, good low risk high reward signing, brings some much needed size and physical presence to the habs blueline espcially with Emelin out of the line up untill December!

[pause] Hello? Hello?

Excellent signing and a good replacement for the injured Emelin! I'd have guessed that Murray would have gotten 2+M on a 1 year deal. Good pickup for the Habs!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  14:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

[pause] Hello? Hello?

Excellent signing and a good replacement for the injured Emelin! I'd have guessed that Murray would have gotten 2+M on a 1 year deal. Good pickup for the Habs!

I agree. Was thinking Edmonton should have gone for this guy. The only downside to him is his speed, which was noticeably slower last year than in previous years. If he can refind his speed, he might become more valuable to the Canadians.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  16:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Here is the news on the Kadri unsigned story. As an outsider I have to wonder how Toronto fans feel about this. $5 million to sign 2 of the better future players in the organization, which might be a choice down the road of 1 or the other.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/23238414/nazem-kadri-says-cap-issues-not-his-job-reportedly-looking-for-home-run

If I were a TOR fan, I'd be wondering why Kadri thinks he deserves more than a 5M/2yr deal for his next deal. In his EL deal, he has 2 years of nothing, and 48 games of good production. 2.5M per year for 2 years gives him a chance to prove last season was no fluke, and then cash in later.

I was reading this article on TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=430156) and almost fell out of my chair laughing when I got to this:

quote:

By comparison, Carolina's Jeff Skinner, New York Islanders centre John Tavares and Edmonton's Taylor Hall landed big contracts out of their entry-level deals and Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog got one last week - a seven-year $39 million contract extension.

Is TSN seriously suggesting that Kadri should be a) lumped in with that group, or b) getting a second contract like the players in that group?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  17:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can only think its Toronto Sporting news, not the TSN reporting that. I havent a clue why they think he is in that class. He was considered of the like early, as a prospect, but likely not seen that way outside of Toronto's inner circle.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  05:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't believe the hype from Toronto about cap space and having to fit Kadri and Franson both in that 5 mil window. There will be further . . . juggling. Not going to get into it, as every year we end up arguing about some team that NO WAY everyone thinks can fit under the cap because of this or that, they'll have to trade, etc . . . and then they fit under the cap. Leafs management I trust will do the same.

I don't begrudge Kadri and his agent trying to get a good contract, it's a negotiation process, and it might just take a while. We have a few more weeks before I start to even plan ahead on worrying about it!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  05:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

according to TSN radio, Grabo is close to signing a contract with the Capitals. one has to assume the job as 2nd line center will be his to lose. but he'll get some competition from the likes of Laich, Johansson, and Perreault.

So looks like it's official - Grabovski with the Capitals. Second line centre position his to lose, agreed.

It seems like a fit at first, but . . . I am not so sure that under Adam Oates, Grabovski will be any happier than under Carlyle. Oates, as one of the premier playmakers and "pass first" guys of his day will likely be cringing non-stop watching Grabo enter the zone on the rush . . . no one is questioning that Grabovski doesn't have skill - he certainly does - but there was never a shot that Grabovski didn't like, let's put it that way.

But we'll see. Will definitely mark Sat Nov 23rd on the calendar (nice that it's a Saturday too) for that first game against the Leafs . . . I am sure the crowd will give him a nice round of applause.

Will enjoy seeing him on his butt, now that he is not a Leafer anymore!

Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  05:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
So looks like it's official - Grabovski with the Capitals. Second line centre position his to lose, agreed.

It seems like a fit at first, but . . . I am not so sure that under Adam Oates, Grabovski will be any happier than under Carlyle. Oates, as one of the premier playmakers and "pass first" guys of his day will likely be cringing non-stop watching Grabo enter the zone on the rush . . . no one is questioning that Grabovski doesn't have skill - he certainly does - but there was never a shot that Grabovski didn't like, let's put it that way.

But we'll see. Will definitely mark Sat Nov 23rd on the calendar (nice that it's a Saturday too) for that first game against the Leafs . . . I am sure the crowd will give him a nice round of applause.

defending him will be quite simple.... give him a clear path into the offensive zone. when he crosses the blue line, stick one defenceman on him (which will force him to shoot) and then have the 2nd d-man go behind the net. have the goalie cover the top corners, and then when he shoots and misses high (like he always does), the 2nd defender will be there to pick up the rebound off the glass and at the same time knock Grabo on his butt. then take the puck and skate back up ice. thank you Grabo!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  06:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's my year for the annual bet beating I take from Slozo every year.

Rest assured you will see a portion of the bet based on Grabovksi and a return to his pre-Carlyle offensive performance on a legit playoff team.

Another epic I told you so or I was completely wrong moment coming up!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  09:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think it's my year for the annual bet beating I take from Slozo every year.

Rest assured you will see a portion of the bet based on Grabovksi and a return to his pre-Carlyle offensive performance on a legit playoff team.

Another epic I told you so or I was completely wrong moment coming up!

Absolutely, Grabo has to be on our annual bet for sure, besides the usual Leafs and Oilers bets.

Now all we need is a big trade between the Oil and the Leafs and it'll be epic!

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  14:08:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wash / Tor only meet twice, is that right? Seems strange it wouldn't be more actually?

So guys, what's it gonna be. Pts for Grabo in the 2 games? Goals? Or will it be overall Grabo performance under Oates eye? Maybe both?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  09:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

defending him will be quite simple.... give him a clear path into the offensive zone. when he crosses the blue line, stick one defenceman on him (which will force him to shoot) and then have the 2nd d-man go behind the net. have the goalie cover the top corners, and then when he shoots and misses high (like he always does), the 2nd defender will be there to pick up the rebound off the glass and at the same time knock Grabo on his butt. then take the puck and skate back up ice. thank you Grabo!

Although I agree with you on how to play him, in Washington he will have the advantage of better linemates, offensive zone faceoffs and the pressure will be off with the focus on the top line. He might be in line for a career year.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2013 :  18:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Although I agree with you on how to play him, in Washington he will have the advantage of better linemates, offensive zone faceoffs and the pressure will be off with the focus on the top line. He might be in line for a career year.

Better linemates? What's your guess for who his linemates are . . . then list their career years, and compare it to the career year Grabo had with Kulemin and MacArthur.

Offensive zone faceoffs? Grabo had plenty of them the year before last, and at the beginning of this last year. Didn't seem to help his waning productivity at all.

Pressure will be off? Anything like the pressure of playing behind the Kessel line, AND the red-hot kadri line? Anything like that kind of non-pressure?

Not to be down on everything Grabovski, but honestly, he was given every opportunity with Carlyle, who asked him to be defensively responsible, and he failed. If you think Oates - a fairly defensive-minded coach himself, IMHO - is going to let Grabo float like his Wilson years in Toronto, I think you are deluding yourself . . .

It'd be hard to have a year as bad as last season obviously, but I reckon his ppg might be well below his career average. Just a guess, seeing as how Washington should be a playoff team.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2013 :  08:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Better linemates? What's your guess for who his linemates are . . . then list their career years, and compare it to the career year Grabo had with Kulemin and MacArthur.

Offensive zone faceoffs? Grabo had plenty of them the year before last, and at the beginning of this last year. Didn't seem to help his waning productivity at all.

Pressure will be off? Anything like the pressure of playing behind the Kessel line, AND the red-hot kadri line? Anything like that kind of non-pressure?

Not to be down on everything Grabovski, but honestly, he was given every opportunity with Carlyle, who asked him to be defensively responsible, and he failed. If you think Oates - a fairly defensive-minded coach himself, IMHO - is going to let Grabo float like his Wilson years in Toronto, I think you are deluding yourself . . .

It'd be hard to have a year as bad as last season obviously, but I reckon his ppg might be well below his career average. Just a guess, seeing as how Washington should be a playoff team.

The point was what his responsibilities will be this year vs. his responsibilities last year where he was used defensively on the 3rd, sometimes 4th line. Instead of checking against the opposing teams best lines in the defensive zone, were his defensive stats excelled last year, he will be taking faceoffs in the offensive zone on the 2nd line of a more talented offensive team where his offensive stats will increase. I bet he see's an increase in pp time, as compared to last year and may even see some pp time with Ovechkin, which could really help increase his stats. Nobody is gonna compare that experience to his time in Toronto and there 3rd/4th line spare parts.

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2013 :  19:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua.....its amazing how you keep referring to Grab as a 3rd / 4th line player in Toronto......while judging his production and play as being a 3rd / 4th line player..

Do you know that Grab was a consistent 2nd line center in Toronto for approx.......90 % of his tenure there ???

Why do you keep basing his numbers on a stretch of 20 to 30 games where he fell out of the coaches trust ??.........you are using a very small sample size to come up with your reasoning, it doesn`t make any sense.

Grab will have the exact same role in Wash as was expected of him in Toronto over the last several seasons...........not this little stretch of hockey you keep referring to.

As for him moving onto a more offensive team....sure they are a bit more offensive than Toronto but not outrageous more offensive........last season Wsh`s top 6 forwards had 228 points between them.........Tor`s top 6 forwards scored 199 points between them...........total 29 point difference.

Of Wsh`s 228....49 was by Rebiero ( he is gone).......
Lupul only played 16 games ( with 18 points )......Tor`s 6th scorer only had 20 points ......with a healthy season by Lupul.....the leafs top 6 forwards would have easily scored 225 - 230 points...........SAME AS WASHINGTON...............

Wsh`s top 2 offensive D-men scored 48 points between them ( Green missed time though ).........Tor`s top 2 D-men scored 57

The only question here Joshua is ???.....can Grab ( who had 16 points last season in 48 games ) replace Mike Reb. who had 49 points ???.........guess time will tell

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2013 :  19:09:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S...Joshua....just for fun, lets re-visit this point at next seasons end and add up Wsh`s top 6 forwards point totals vs Tor`s and see what the totals are like.......not predicting anything but i bet they will be real close...........if we remember
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2013 :  20:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S...Joshua....just for fun, lets re-visit this point at next seasons end and add up Wsh`s top 6 forwards point totals vs Tor`s and see what the totals are like.......not predicting anything but i bet they will be real close...........if we remember
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2013 :  20:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Here's a way to remember.....have a friendly wager on it.

I'm not an expert on Grabo by any means, nor his time in TO, but isn't it fair to say that he started a shortened season a little slow and his team mate, Kadri, started hot and stole his top 6 role? I don't care if 90% of his tenure in TO was top 6, bottom line was, he was playing in a role not suited to his style last year, no? Take that for what it's worth as until last season, most of you Leafers seemed to love this guy!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  07:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goals For last season (shortened though it was):
Washington - 149
Toronto - 145

These teams are both top 5 offensive teams, and looking at this season, there is little to suggest that it will be any different. I would suggest that in terms of style of play, that there isn't a whole lot of difference either, really. Washington is also a team that tries to play a somewhat defensively responsible game, and they also have a lot of offensive talent, mostly spearheaded by Ovie and Backstrom.

Still, I think the coach of Washington, Adam Oates, will play a big role in Grabo's numbers . . . and I think it will be very, very tough for Grabovski to do any better than 45 points this season.

I know Beans is gonna pounce on that one!

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  13:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna go large and predict a 55-60 point season under the tutelage of one of the greatest passers in the game (Oates), the beneficiary of playing behind a great playmaker in Backstrom and playing on a team with one of the greatest goal scorers playing today in Ovechkin. How Oates worked with Ovechkin to help him refind his offensive game last year is how I justify an improvement of that degree for Grabo. I don't think Grabo peaked in Toronto, is wanting to prove the coaches in Toronto wrong and with the right coach teammates, opportunity, could be the right mix for a close to career year. Doesn't hurt that Washington's 2nd line is were players like Semin and Riberio found success.

Anything above 45 is success but I am hoping for a marked improvement.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  14:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not gonna lie. I hope he scores around 10, or 90. You see, i can only imagine the "i told you so's" that would come of these numbers from the likes of Slozo, Beans, Gipper, Duke, Joshua, etc.

A season around 50 pts will be ho hum.......
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  10:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kadri signs for 2 years at $2.9 million. Is this a deal or no deal and why did it take so long? Glad the drama is over, but I don't get this. Who caved to get to $2.9 for 2? Kadri or the team? I think this is his value all along and have to wonder, did Toronto not think that or was Kadri's camp pushing for more? If $2.9 would have stopped the drama months ago, this should have been done a long time before camp. Hate the chatter about a player like this not coming to camp without a contract.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 09/11/2013 10:53:57
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  14:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2.9M per year, I believe. And they are calling it a 'bridge' contract meant to satisfy both the player and the team for a short term as they renegotiate. Sounds good to me, and gives a reasonable time-frame to evaluate Kadri's development.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  16:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

2.9M per year, I believe. And they are calling it a 'bridge' contract meant to satisfy both the player and the team for a short term as they renegotiate. Sounds good to me, and gives a reasonable time-frame to evaluate Kadri's development.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.

Given the Kadri deal, I'm surprised by the Hodgson signing today. Hodgson is also coming off his EL deal, and only really blossomed last season with BUF when he had 34 pts in 48 games. Yet they've locked him in with a 6yr/25.5M deal, good for a 4.25M cap hit.

I'm a big fan of Hodgson, but I'm surprised he got so much so fast.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  21:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kadri caved and was after much more and for a longer term from what I heard. He really had no choice though but to sign or sit out and obviously sitting out wouldn't do anyone any good! He got pretty much the same as Subban did, so I'd call it a fair deal.

Hodgson's is a mild surprise I agree.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  07:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm gonna go large and predict a 55-60 point season under the tutelage of one of the greatest passers in the game (Oates), the beneficiary of playing behind a great playmaker in Backstrom and playing on a team with one of the greatest goal scorers playing today in Ovechkin. How Oates worked with Ovechkin to help him refind his offensive game last year is how I justify an improvement of that degree for Grabo. I don't think Grabo peaked in Toronto, is wanting to prove the coaches in Toronto wrong and with the right coach teammates, opportunity, could be the right mix for a close to career year. Doesn't hurt that Washington's 2nd line is were players like Semin and Riberio found success.

So, knowing how excellent Adam oates was at passing/playmaking . . . and knowing that Grabovski is a shoot first, pass later guy . . . do you think Oates will teach him how to pass better?

Hmm, good luck with that!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  07:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kadri signs for 2 years at $2.9 million. Is this a deal or no deal and why did it take so long? Glad the drama is over, but I don't get this. Who caved to get to $2.9 for 2? Kadri or the team? I think this is his value all along and have to wonder, did Toronto not think that or was Kadri's camp pushing for more? If $2.9 would have stopped the drama months ago, this should have been done a long time before camp. Hate the chatter about a player like this not coming to camp without a contract.

Kadri's agent asked for the moon, and they signed for reality after Nonis - bless his GM heart - played hardball, used his leverage well, ignored all the media and fan outrage that Kadri wasn't signed yet and what the hell was this GM doing . . . and he signed Kadri to what amounts to a very fair, reasonable deal. And a deal that all those outraged fans are now very happy with.

I have to laugh a bit about your suppositions though . . . honestly, people like us I think forget that these GMS, and these agents - they are sharp people, at the top of the ladder in their respective careers. They definitely got there for a reason, and they (in general) know what they are doing.

Really like how Nonis (Leafs GM) played this.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  12:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know. Playing the waiting game just before camp always brings to mind the hard feeling that happen during arbitration hearings. Player or team always seem to come out of those situations a little sour. Then again Nonis should be happy Kadri and his agent didn't go the way of holding out during camp. Kadri needs camp. Going into the season with no camp Kadri would have taken a step backwards IMO. Glad he signed a bridge deal, now all he has to do is repeat and he should cash in next time, with little risk to Toronto should he not repeat.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  12:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

So, knowing how excellent Adam oates was at passing/playmaking . . . and knowing that Grabovski is a shoot first, pass later guy . . . do you think Oates will teach him how to pass better?

Hmm, good luck with that!

That's exactly what I expect. Oates proved last year that an underperforming player can be taught how to succeed again. Granted Ovechkin has all the tools needed, but Grabovski I think, still hasn't reached his ceiling.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  15:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kadri's contract is perfect for both sides. Toronto gets to evaluate his contribution and Kadri can prove himself to the team and cash in a big contract after two seasons.

When you lock up a guy like Hodgson for 6 years you don't really know. Maybe the team will be laughing once Hodgson tears it up for the last 4 years of his contract. Or maybe Hodgson will get lazy, sit on his money and be a burden for the team. So it could turn good or bad for both parties.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page