Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ovechkin's attitude

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
willus3 Posted - 02/25/2010 : 17:13:08
Am curious if anyone else finds Ovechkin disrespectful. I'm talking specifically about these Olympics. Couple things I noticed that didn't sit right with me were one of his comments and what he chose to wear.
His comment was nothing would be better than to beat Canada and to beat them in Canada. I don't think you'd even hear an American player say something like that.
Then he chose to wear Sochi clothing at the Vancouver Olympics.
Pretty classless individual.
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 03/05/2010 : 08:59:27
Ovie was pissed at a reporter? OMG what a tool. It's not like he'd just lost the biggest game of his tournament an was largely deemed ineffective during the loss. Oh wait...

It's not like he spent the entire tournament being hounded by all media, especially the russian media. No one would ever get pissed off at a reporter for that. Oh wait...

Ovie wore Sochi gear? OMG what a knob. The poster child of the Sochi games shouldn't be flaunting it! Oh wait...

Team Canada didn't come to the closing ceremonies? Those classless bastards. They probably didn't want to be seen as drunk in public like the other Canadian gold medal team. They were called classless too. And apparently the Team Captain being in attendance doesn't amount to a hill of beans to some people.

Or is the Men's team expected to NOT celebrate their win and stay calm and sober for the ceremony before hopping flights back to their teams? How dare they relax and enjoy themselves out of the spotlight before they go back to work!

I know you guys have a lot of feelings and what not, but this sounds like a whole lot of whine.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Odin Posted - 03/05/2010 : 08:27:09
I gotta say I think some people on here are way too oversensitive or just have nothing to talk about so need to create some 'controversy.' There is nothing wrong with what he said or did. I am in total agreement with what Slozo said.

He is just expressing that he wants to be the best, and to be the best, you have to beat the best with the styling, profiling womanizing, limosine riding son of a gun! WOOOOOO!

And to do so on the bests own turf is just icing on the cake. Why anybody would begrudge this is beyond me. If we could do that to them, that would be terrific and I have absolutely no problem saying that.
Alex116 Posted - 03/02/2010 : 22:22:43
So much for what i heard on the radio? Just read that the Canucks were already in Columbus where they watched the gold medal game?

Then again, i guess the guy on the radio might have meant with the Canucks who were in the Olympics and there till the end? Luongo, Salo, Kesler, Demitra, etc???
Alex116 Posted - 03/02/2010 : 21:45:40
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Heard them say on CTV when talking about the American players and when they were leaving, that the flights were booked by team staff previously and they were leaving early Sunday evening. I suspect things were probably much the same for the Canadian team.

Here's an article about Ovechkin relevant to this discussion.
http://views.washingtonpost.com/world-wide-wilbon/wilbon/2010/03/crosby_miles_ahead_of_ovechkin.html

Willus, great article. If what this guy says is true and confirms the rumours that this "woman" was in fact a fan here in Vancouver ( i don't care where she flew in from really), then what he did is atrocious! I can completely understand how he prob felt at that point but there's no excuse for such behaviour! Pretty brutal in fact. I hope, as the writer said, that someone either with the Caps or at least someone close to him has a little chat with him!

As for the flights out on Sunday night, i'm not sure. I heard through a friend who was pissed they weren't at the closing ceremonies (he was there) that they (not sure how many, but some at the very least) went to Molson Hockey House instead of the closings??? Again, just heard this through a buddy so not sure it's entirely true? I did hear on the news today that Nash flew out to Columbus on the same flight as the Canucks (that would have been on Monday so he was def around Sunday night?). When you think about it, most teams didn't play till tonight (Tues) and i'm sure after what they'd been through that their coaches would have let them skip Monday practices!
willus3 Posted - 03/02/2010 : 12:27:32
Heard them say on CTV when talking about the American players and when they were leaving, that the flights were booked by team staff previously and they were leaving early Sunday evening. I suspect things were probably much the same for the Canadian team.

Here's an article about Ovechkin relevant to this discussion.
http://views.washingtonpost.com/world-wide-wilbon/wilbon/2010/03/crosby_miles_ahead_of_ovechkin.html
Alex116 Posted - 03/02/2010 : 11:04:52
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5052

Don't be sexist with the sex of the camera person. She might be the next Victoria Corningstone.

I'm not sure who this was meant to be directed to but i certainly wasn't being sexist with my comments. I simply found it interesting that it seemed to go unnoticed that it was a female's voice we hear on the camera.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 03/02/2010 : 10:11:44
The 'cameraguy' in quiestion is a female reporter out of russia. You can hear her saying "dont break it! please dont break my camera" in russian. She got right in OV's way as he was leaving russia house after an embarassing performance against team canada and its hard to blame ov for being pissed but still he should have kept his cool.

This is getting overblown in my opinion..... i just find it funny.
I love Ov's entourage in the vid... that guy doesnt go anywhere without a couple supermodels at his side.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
n/a Posted - 03/02/2010 : 09:24:13
All I can do is laugh at the multitude of double standards, ignoring the point, and ignorance.

If people here cannot truly see that a double standard is being applied to Canadian superstars and Russian superstars, and then plead ignorance with lines like, "what does that have to do with it?" . . . then there is no way you will ever see.

I implore all of you to apply some critical thinking.

addendum: I can guarantee Ovechkin is at the closing ceremonies in Sochi if Russia wins gold.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 03/02/2010 : 08:04:45
I have to admit, i didn't watch the closing ceremonies, just saw some highlights. I was too busy stuck downtown in the massive party to be able to get home in time. Didn't PVR it seeing as did record the opennings and still haven't watched them fully .

Personally, i don't think this has anything to do with Ovechkin aside from the fact he was there and our team wasn't. As it's been pointed out, he's an ambassador to Sochi, etc and you have to assume that's the reason he stuck around for an extra 3 or 4 days when likely the rest of the Russian squad had blown outta town?

I really would have liked and think we should have been treated to seeing the Canadian team at the closing ceremonies. Here's what i find tough, i guess because i'm not ever going to exsperience something like that, but with the games being in Canada, ask yourself this.....Wouldn't you love to walk into that stadium for the closing ceremonies after just having won the biggest game of your life? I'm sure GM Place (Hockey Canada Place?) was loud beyond belief when they won, but can you imagine the noise with 60,000 + at BC Place? I can't imagine missing that opportunity as a team and i'd have urged my team mates to attend if at all possible?

Back to Ovie....not sure of the link Slozo, but it came up with the minor trade between St. Louis and Chicago? I think the link you were after is here: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AmD4KTQdMy0DG5sZGI.yC3F7vLYF?slug=ap-ovechkinreturns&prov=ap&type=lgns

Anyway, i find it hard to believe that Ovie didn't watch the gold medal game aside from overtime yet was able to chime in that he felt Canada played better and looked fresher in OT? Huh? That seems a wee bit odd no?

Guest5052 Posted - 03/02/2010 : 08:03:54
Well,

Ovechkin attending the closing ceremonies surely has to be considered a fairly classy act I would think. I think its too bad that the NHLers aren't fully immersed in the olympics (although I completely understand their massive other professional committments). Nice to see he made that effort.

As for pushing the Camera person - agreed he should not have. That shows a lack of class but Its easy to judge when most of us aren't used to losing in a pressure cooker and then having a camera shoved in our face, but thats part of the trade. Its a bad move, but really I must say I don't think its that bad (the knee on knees are much much worse in my opinion).

As for hypotheticals like what if the camera man were a 10 year old Russian Boy... what if he ate puppies? ....irrelevant, unless the cameraman was a 10 year old russian boy (or he ate puppies).

Don't be sexist with the sex of the camera person. She might be the next Victoria Corningstone.

I'm not the biggest Ovie fan - I cheer for Sid, but I do respect his play and his entertainment value. I thought that his extra little pat to Crosby after he lost was pure class... I like to see that even though he must have been devastated. I also liked this article,
http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/vancouver2010/hockey/2010/03/02/13077706-ap.html and think it was classy.

as far as wearing Sochi gear, i think its in the olympic spirit especially with the treat from Bettman to pull NHL players from the games. I believe he has every right to make, and I do respect, that statement.

remember boys the voice of liberlism is the voice that is none too sure it is right.
Beans15 Posted - 03/02/2010 : 07:33:29
Couple of things. Firstly, Miller was the only US team member visible at the closing ceremonies. Where were the rest of the Americans?? Kesler anyone??

Secondly, did anyone see the Swedes, Czechs, Fins, or Slovaks for that matter?? How many of them decided to get home a day early to get ready for their day job?? Are we attacking them??

Thirdly, does anyone think that Ovechkin would have been at the closing ceremonies if he was not one of the Sochi ambassadors?? Where were his Russian team mates?

Fourth, how does the entire Canadian team (and most other countries teams or at least notable players) not going to the Closing Ceremonies have anything to do with Ovechkin???

Now, to answer your question, I do agree that the Canadian Men's Hockey team should and could have been at the closing ceremonies. It would have been nice for Joe Fan to watch them parade in. It would have been great to see the most publicized team in the games on hand to end things. I agree with you. But there is no double standard when Ovechkin was part of the Closing Ceremonies. If Crosby (or any of his team mates) were planned into the Closing Ceremonies and they snubbed it to stay and party, then sure. Double standard. But when most of the other global teams did not have their players in attendance, there is no double standard at all.

Apples to Oranges.
Hugh G. Rection Posted - 03/02/2010 : 07:13:36
Only counter-argument Slozo is that Ovechkin is one of the ambassadors to the Sochi games. That being said, Ryan Miller attended the closing ceremonies, so clearly Canadians probably should have if they were truly the embodiement of team Canada that everyone says they were.

THAT being said, they were probably absolutely hammered/wasted in the dressing room party that ended that game, it must have been an unreal stress reliever. This team met absurd expectations, so let them party it up like the women did.

So, although it probably would have been nice to see the Canadians at the closing ceremonies, I can understand why most (all?) of them weren't, and I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a classless move, just maybe a little bit unclassy (if that's a word).

Had the final game not been literally hours before the closing ceremonies, I'd have agreed with you though 100%.
n/a Posted - 03/02/2010 : 05:36:08
So . . . any more thoughts from the "anti-Ovechkin" camp about most of the GOLD MEDAL WINNING CANADIANS not showing up to the closing ceremonies for their country?

Canadian media gave them a "free pass" . . . see: non-coverage and lots of "oh, it's ok, they just won the gold medal blah blah blah".

Well, I call it CLASSLESS.
Crosby - the face of Canada's gold medal winning hockey team and its overtime hero - SHOULD have been at the closing ceremonies, it's his goddamn responsibility! And don't tell me about no time . . . Michael J Fox was at the game and made it to the closing ceremonies, as did many many others.

Ovechkin, as torn up about Russia's loss as he was, also still decided to show his classy side by showing up for the closing ceremonies, even though it would have been very easy not to.

Oh, and Ovechkin went a step further by congratulating Canada and saying they deserved the gold here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=ArbUTjj.astIhQbbWHysq8t7vLYF?slug=ap-blues-blackhawkstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

Double standard much?
Where's the Crosby condemnation? Iginla condemnation? Scott Niedermeyer condemnation? etc etc

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Beans15 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 23:42:39
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection

So you were in favour of him getting suspended? Cool. That's the only freaking thing I mentioned when I made the 99% comment. Read it again if you have to.

Your argument is bad because he receives a fair share of negative press as well as positive, both in Canada and outside. If you knew Russian, you'd probably see a ton of not-so nice headlines about him last week in his own country. The camera move was obviously out of line, but showed how pissed off he was at Russia's performance. It clearly meant alot to him. Not completely absolving him of all wrongdoing, but you can appreciate a guy explicitly denying access to the media being a little peeved at a camera in his face after a tough loss. I know I would be.

We have disqualified the 'I want to beat Canada' as a 'd-bag' thing to do. If you disagree you are wound up way too tight and probably hated Montgomery chugging the beer in the streets of Vancouver too.

Anything left? Ya he speaks his mind. Hockey needs more people that do this, not less. If he's pissed after a loss, I don't want to hear him say 'I really give credit to the other team, we didn't capitalize on our chances blah blah blah' like everyone else does.

Call him a d-bag all you want, the best thing about Ovechkin is he couldn't care less what you, or anyone else prints about him.

Surprisinly Hugh, I disagree with little if anything of this. You are the first from the Pro-Ovechkin camp to actually say that his actions were questionable. I agree it shows he cares and is passionable about the game. I too love a guy who has more to say than the normal "We fought hard out there" line that most hockey players give.

Cool. Same Page. I get your point and if I agree or not is irrelevant. However, I do mostly agree.

I still think it would have been pretty cool to see a video of Ovechkin walking past a fan rather than through them. I wouldn't be able to say anything at that point.
polishexpress Posted - 03/01/2010 : 22:43:44
Interestingly, Ovechkin was a chosen ambassador of the 2014 Sochi Games in Vancouver, or at least that's what one of the CTV commentators mentioned before they showed an interview of him in that clothing.

It seems were are all expecting perfection from those in the public spotlight, which has some merit. But should we really care that much about their choices and decisions and judge players on them, especially when we only ever know the story that the media decides to show us?

All I'm saying is that I we can really only judge players by what we see them do, and I just keep reading too many inferences and references that are unconfirmed. I really preferred when the arguments for/against Ovechkin were based on his actions when playing hockey, not his off-ice personality. Unless there are some of Ovies colleagues posting here, all we know about Ovechkin is how he is portrayed by the media.
Hugh G. Rection Posted - 03/01/2010 : 22:11:18
So you were in favour of him getting suspended? Cool. That's the only freaking thing I mentioned when I made the 99% comment. Read it again if you have to.

Your argument is bad because he receives a fair share of negative press as well as positive, both in Canada and outside. If you knew Russian, you'd probably see a ton of not-so nice headlines about him last week in his own country. The camera move was obviously out of line, but showed how pissed off he was at Russia's performance. It clearly meant alot to him. Not completely absolving him of all wrongdoing, but you can appreciate a guy explicitly denying access to the media being a little peeved at a camera in his face after a tough loss. I know I would be.

We have disqualified the 'I want to beat Canada' as a 'd-bag' thing to do. If you disagree you are wound up way too tight and probably hated Montgomery chugging the beer in the streets of Vancouver too.

Anything left? Ya he speaks his mind. Hockey needs more people that do this, not less. If he's pissed after a loss, I don't want to hear him say 'I really give credit to the other team, we didn't capitalize on our chances blah blah blah' like everyone else does.

Call him a d-bag all you want, the best thing about Ovechkin is he couldn't care less what you, or anyone else prints about him.
Thrasher Posted - 03/01/2010 : 22:02:02
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9951

Why do people have a problem with him wearing russian clothing and a sheep on his skates? He is RUSSIAN! What is he supposed to wear? I happen to live in vancouver and saw a couple of russian atheletes walking together and guess what? they were wearing russia jackets! im mean what is ovechkin supposed to wear, go canada shirts? im sure canadains were wearing canada shirts at some point during the olympics. He is proud of his country and there is nothing wrong with that.

And as for the comment about wanting russia to win on canadian soil and there being nothing better? so what, he wants to win and there is nothing wrong with that. Hes not going to say, i want to beat canada but, there is better things to do. He has passion to win. im happy canada won, but whats wrong with ovechkin wanting to win?

I don't think anyone is complaining about Russian clothing. But he wore clothing saying Sochi. 2014 winter Olympics are being held in Sochi, Russia. Someone earlier brought up going to another kids birthday and bragging about how awesome your birthday will be. He could wear nothing but a Russian flag around him and most would have no problem (other than the nudity). I do however find it disrespectful that he would try and grab attention for his country's games when our country's were still going strong.. Take it however you wish, thats why forums like this exist, so people can state opinions. Nothing wrong with what anyone is saying.

The problem I find with Ovechkin is he is a media lover, just like Sean Avery. MOST (not all) Canadian and American players are fairly down to earth and don't get too carried away when being interviewed. Ovie is just so brash and unapologetic, almost like a NBA or NFL player. The reason i prefer Crosby to Ovie (other than i like Crosbys play style alot better), is he seems to be much more level headed and well spoken. Nothing is really that bad about what Ovie said about beating Canada, but there are better ways to say it. I guess the icing on top for me was watching the game against Russia and trying to figure out if Ovie got benched or injured in the game before. Total non factor.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Beans15 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 21:02:10
So saying that Ovechkin is the most gifted goal scorer in the past 2 decades and that he plays like a "bumper car" says he plays dirty??

Well, I guess I did prove your point then.

Ovechkin got suspended because it was knee on knee. I agree with ANY player getting suspended for a knee on knee.

My arguement is bad because a knee on knee hit on the ice during an NHL game and a camera incident at a non-NHL sanctioned event were not treated the same.

Seriously, keep it up. I love the comedic breaks I get from the giberish.
Hugh G. Rection Posted - 03/01/2010 : 19:43:22
It's interesting, Crosby plays as physical as the next guy, but he's a wimp. Ovechkin plays like a bumper car and he's a hero??I often think many hockey fans watched the game through Blue Tinted glasses, but I guess there are also some watching them through a mirror finished, gap tooth set of glasses too!

Knee on Knee is intent to injure. The NHL has established that a long time ago. 2 games is light. If it happens again, it will be 5+ for sure.

Furthermore, what the hell is Ovechkin thinking?? The most gifted goal scorer in the past 2 decades and he's throwing his body around like a meatball.

Keep it up, he will be washed up and broken down by the time he is 30. Playing in the KHL and we will all be talking about what could have been.

Sounds like a fair and unbiased report of your thoughts on Ovechkin. 99% you were in that camp, that post proved it. Tell me you didn't salivate at the mouth at the thought of Ovechkin being suspended for a good period. That would let your boy Crosby have a chance at winning the scoring title, at least. Why would you link a post you made that proves my point? Lol.

Also, the camera thing really isn't a big deal. Additionally, Ovechkin WAS suspended for his knee earlier this season, meaning he doesn't even get a free pass from his own league. Abandon your argument because it is bad.
Guest9951 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 18:39:07
Why do people have a problem with him wearing russian clothing and a sheep on his skates? He is RUSSIAN! What is he supposed to wear? I happen to live in vancouver and saw a couple of russian atheletes walking together and guess what? they were wearing russia jackets! im mean what is ovechkin supposed to wear, go canada shirts? im sure canadains were wearing canada shirts at some point during the olympics. He is proud of his country and there is nothing wrong with that.

And as for the comment about wanting russia to win on canadian soil and there being nothing better? so what, he wants to win and there is nothing wrong with that. Hes not going to say, i want to beat canada but, there is better things to do. He has passion to win. im happy canada won, but whats wrong with ovechkin wanting to win?
Beans15 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 16:18:20
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection

Ovechkin is routinely shown in a negative light in the Canadian sports media. When he had the multiple knee on knee incidents earlier this season tons of talking heads took turns saying how dirty he was and how he needed to be suspended. Beans, 99.9% you were one of these people. Then you have the Don Cherry's in the world criticizing his 'reckless' play and antics on and off the ice.

He doesn't get a free pass at all, but what do you want us to do? He pushed a cameraman whoop de freaking doo. I've seen it enough to know that more often than not its the camera man's fault. When I originally saw the piece they did on that video, it certainly didn't side with Ovechkin at all.

Want to know what a double-standard is?

Shoving 80000 cameras in front of someone and putting their every move under the spotlight then expecting them to act perfectly all of the time. People are human, and have flaws. This includes everyone in the NHL. People get angry sometimes. Notice the spats with paparazzi celebrities have every day and tell me how Ovechkin's outbursts aren't remarkably lame in comparison.

Really?? Before statements are made, homework should be done. Here is the link to the "Ovechkin Knee on Knee" thread. Please point out where I was one of the 99.9% of people that made these Ovechkin is a dirty player comments.

http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9362

When calling someone out, at the least be accurate or one might run the risk of looking like a huge something, and it's not a reaction.

Secondly, people can continue to miss the point and it speaks volumes.

For a final time:

I could care less what you think about Ovechkin. That is not my argument. My question again is:

Why can Ovechkin do something such as this (rationale/justification is irrelevant) and people give him an automatic pass?

Let me give an example. People are saying aggressive camera man, pissed off he just lost, he's also asked for autographes, etc.

What if, hypothetically speaking, the camera "man" was actually a 10 yr old Russian kid living in Canada after his parents moved to Canada and Ovechkin is he hero. He was so excited to see him, he grabbed his Dad's camera and ran towards Ovechkin??

Then what?? Is he a d-bag then??

The point is that no one knows. It could be what everyone is saying and that it was an over agressive fan. But it could just as easily be a 10 yr old fan with his Dad's camcorder.

But because it's Ovechkins, automatic benefit of the doubt.

Here's Ovechkin's own words on the situation:

"I don't want to talk about it," he said. "It happened. I feel sorry, but it was an emotional moment for me. I don't want to say something bad or do something bad, but this happened. Let's forget about it and move forward."

The report is from the the Capital's insider for the Washington Post. Far from Canadian media.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/ovechkin-canada-deserved-to-wi.html

Furthermore, the latest I found is that the "cameraman" actually was a girl. Apparently a fan that flew in from Russia to only watch Ovechkin play.

Now, to hopefully put some finality to this, I don't blame Ovechkin or the Fan. Personally I don't think fans should have this kind of access to a team, especially after a game. Although I don't condone his actions, I can completely understand how emotional and how serious this guys take the game of hockey. I don't believe there is a player that is a passionate about hockey as Ovechkin.

That being said, would it have been so hard for him to keep walking without reaching about and knocking hit girl to the ground?? I think that is what should have happened.
Hugh G. Rection Posted - 03/01/2010 : 14:23:44
Ovechkin is routinely shown in a negative light in the Canadian sports media. When he had the multiple knee on knee incidents earlier this season tons of talking heads took turns saying how dirty he was and how he needed to be suspended. Beans, 99.9% you were one of these people. Then you have the Don Cherry's in the world criticizing his 'reckless' play and antics on and off the ice.

He doesn't get a free pass at all, but what do you want us to do? He pushed a cameraman whoop de freaking doo. I've seen it enough to know that more often than not its the camera man's fault. When I originally saw the piece they did on that video, it certainly didn't side with Ovechkin at all.

Want to know what a double-standard is?

Shoving 80000 cameras in front of someone and putting their every move under the spotlight then expecting them to act perfectly all of the time. People are human, and have flaws. This includes everyone in the NHL. People get angry sometimes. Notice the spats with paparazzi celebrities have every day and tell me how Ovechkin's outbursts aren't remarkably lame in comparison.
phlyguy90 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 13:55:40
to say someone is a complete d bag off of the ice is assuming much eh? the truth is that you dont know the guy personally so back off. i'm not the biggest ovie fan in the world but what i do understand is that when your constantly under the microscope of the relentless slime that is the media its ok to have a lapse in judgement ever so often, it doesnt neccessarily make someone a complete d bag. imagine how you would react if cameras followed you around every where you go just waiting for a moment of weakness that they can videotape and sell to major news outlets.
Guest4339 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 13:55:30
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Again, the point is missed. I am not arguing if Ovechkin is a classless guy or not. As ThortonistheMan has stated, I have been raging on him for a long long time.

The point I am inquiring about(not even arguing) is why Ovechkin gets a pass while other NHL players, pro athetes, etc are expect to carry themselves to a higher standard?

Randy Johnson clearly warns the camera man multiple times, then pushes the camera away and he got beat down.

Patrick Kane beats on a cabbie and before the story is 5 minutes old, people are calling for jail time.

Ovechkin pushes over a camera guys without saying anything and people say, "Oh, that's ok."

I don't get it.

Shoving a camera is slightly different from assault allegations and when Kane was actually arrested. It also looks like that no damage was incurred since the person simply continued filming afterwards and nobody around seemed surprised at the least.

I think most people here simply said they are withholding judgment until there is more information; which I think is fair in this case.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think these situations are comparable.
Beans15 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 13:38:33
Again, the point is missed. I am not arguing if Ovechkin is a classless guy or not. As ThortonistheMan has stated, I have been raging on him for a long long time.

The point I am inquiring about(not even arguing) is why Ovechkin gets a pass while other NHL players, pro athetes, etc are expect to carry themselves to a higher standard?

Randy Johnson clearly warns the camera man multiple times, then pushes the camera away and he got beat down.

Patrick Kane beats on a cabbie and before the story is 5 minutes old, people are calling for jail time.

Ovechkin pushes over a camera guys without saying anything and people say, "Oh, that's ok."

I don't get it.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/01/2010 : 13:32:59
Beans, you were ragging on Ovechkin before the whole video thing came up. You were complaining about his classlessness before that came into play so obviously it wasn't the video that did it....
Guest4339 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 13:32:29
quote:

My issue with Ovechkin at the Olympics never was anything about his statement about beating Canada. Really nothing with the Sochi clothes either. I think there was a statement there but nothing ill-willed.

The only issue I have is that he can act like a complete jerk and 'classless' to that camera guy(at least what the video shows without any other background information) and people give him a free pass.

Ovechkin gets a pass and Kane gets the electric chair. If that is not a double standard, could someone explain to me what is??

(By the way, can't stand Kesler either. Never have liked him, but the topic is Ovechkin's attitude, not Kesler's)

The comparison to Kesler is to show that Ovechkin doesn't get a free pass, but OK let's focus on the video.

It sounds like what you're trying to say is that we should assume Ovechkin was being a d-bag/a-hole/ or whatever and he has to prove his innocence. We are to assume that he was unprovoked and he simply went over to mess with the camera person.

Guilty until proven innocent essentially?
Beans15 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 13:21:10
My issue with Ovechkin at the Olympics never was anything about his statement about beating Canada. Really nothing with the Sochi clothes either. I think there was a statement there but nothing ill-willed.

The only issue I have is that he can act like a complete jerk and 'classless' to that camera guy(at least what the video shows without any other background information) and people give him a free pass.

Ovechkin gets a pass and Kane gets the electric chair. If that is not a double standard, could someone explain to me what is??

(By the way, can't stand Kesler either. Never have liked him, but the topic is Ovechkin's attitude, not Kesler's)
Guest4339 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 13:16:07
quote:

This is exactly my point, no one knows what the background of the story is, but Ovechkin automatically gets the benefit of the doubt. Why??

The comparison to the Kane situation is from the start, not the outcome.

In the case of Kane, he was critisized immediately, before the entire story came out

In the case of Ovechkin, he is automatically give the benefit of the doubt, before the entire story comes out.

There is a double standard there, the question is why??

Actually, judging from the replies in this thread alone, Ovechkin is NOT getting the benefit of the doubt. If he really was, there wouldn't be a discussion around how "classless" he is. There wouldn't be so many people on his back for everything he does, even if, like you said, depends on your perspective.

He says he wants to beat Canada and we're talking about how classless he is.

Kesler said he "hates Canada". Where's the hate for Kesler?
Beans15 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 13:03:18
This is exactly my point, no one knows what the background of the story is, but Ovechkin automatically gets the benefit of the doubt. Why??

The comparison to the Kane situation is from the start, not the outcome.

In the case of Kane, he was critisized immediately, before the entire story came out

In the case of Ovechkin, he is automatically give the benefit of the doubt, before the entire story comes out.

There is a double standard there, the question is why??
tbar Posted - 03/01/2010 : 10:57:53
Beans yes the story would make me decide one way or another about what I thought of the camera situation.

Put it this way beans if you were to video tape me for some reason and i asked you to stop like the big unit scenario...I am the kind of guy thats not going to push your camera im going to full out smoke you in the side of the head. And if that was the case in this video I think OV had every right to do what he did. If he just noticed some guy video tapeing him and went out of his way to go push the camera in his face then yes thats a douch bag move. But yah the way it went down matter's.
Guest4762 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 10:02:06
Beans, there is a substantial difference between what Kane did and what Ovechkin did. Even if there wasn't, Kane barely got slapped on the wrist for his actions. You want the courts to waste more time giving Ovechkin a $200 fine? Please. People like you need to lighten up, big time.

Ovechkin's a guy that ruffles a few feathers (think toned-down version of J.R.). Some people enjoy people that are honest and speak their mind, rather than the usual default hockey player media-speak every single game (think Crosby, Spezza or basically everyone else in the league). I enjoy guys that aren't afraid to say anything even remotely controverial to the press.

This opinion of mine isn't unique, either. Let's remember who won the last TWO Lester B. Pearson trophies, as voted by the NHLPA. Ovechkin is respected league-wide, and only harcore traditionalists are offended by his actions (which aren't close to d-bag by the way).
Beans15 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 09:35:37
Does there have to be a whole story???

Patrick Kane was tried, convicted, and sentenced before that whole story came out, why is Ovechkin any different??

Bottom line, Ovechkin gets a pass(by many) to be a complete d-bag because he is so amazing on the ice and is so popular.

That's the complete joke.
tbar Posted - 03/01/2010 : 09:00:08
Well let me be the first Canadian to say in 4 years I hope we kick the sh*t out of Russia in Russia at the Sochi Olympics! WTF is wrong with that. I want to kick theyre ass even worsenext time around in front of a packed house in Russia so they can see first hand why we are te best. Does this make me a classless person? No it makes me proud to be a Canadian that loves hockey and how good we are at it.

As far as clothing goes give me a break. I find it offensive when fat chicks where revealing clothing. Quit streatching to put a guy down.

Camera guy yah he looked like a douch but like other's have said whats the whole story?
Canucks Man Posted - 02/28/2010 : 00:11:16
Well if your gonna bash Ovechkin for wearing Sochi clothing and supporting the Sochi Olympics you might as well bash all of Russia, they took over science world for the Olympics to showcase what they will be doing in 4 years, oh, and Vanoc people took over a place in Tourin 4 years ago, who cares what cothes he wears or what they say on them. No disrespect at all, and as for the comment, are you freaking kidding me? I take that as a HUGE compliment, he's argueably the best player in the world, and he thinks that would be the best thing, well bring it on, it basically means he thinks next to Russia of course that Canada is the best, and btw in every Olympic sport the other Atheletes are trying to beat us.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 02/27/2010 : 12:32:56
Willus, I think this thing should die. Obviously Ovechkin is a selfish and egotistical player who was not at his best when the camera man aproached him. I agree we do not have the whole story with regards to the push shove on the camera guy, and it is not the type of thing we want to see our respected athletes do. For that he should appologize. You hold him I'll punch him, K

With regards to the choice in clothing, when Olympic hockey officials start paying top tier athletes from Olympic profits money to endorse there attire then they can have a say in what an athlete can or can`t wear. I for one understand that Ovechkin is making a statement that hell or high water he is a Sochi Olympian no matter what the collective bargining agreement states. Washington should be scared this guy will bolt in 4 years to the KHL. This is always something to think about when signing a Russian.

I expect a player of Olympic caliber to tell the favorite team he is gunning to knock them off, be it that Canada is the host nation was even greater reason to make the statement. I respect the statement. Do you think he has egg on his face now?
purrrnella Posted - 02/27/2010 : 11:34:39
4real you dont think an american would say that, i hear it all day every day............. FROM ME

Kim
willus3 Posted - 02/27/2010 : 10:37:31
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4050

"His comment was nothing would be better than to beat Canada and to beat them in Canada. I don't think you'd even hear an American player say something like that".

I must be a little slow as i find nothing offensive about such a comment but have to ask are you seriously retarded. What is so direspectful about saying there is no better feeling then beating the best team on their home ice. You must of missed keslers comments on how he and the US hated the canadians.

Have you ever played sports in your life any and every athlete aspires to knock off the big dog and to beat them in their back yard. Then you have an issue on what he decides to wear are you a premadona or something. How bout you worry about what he does on the ice instead of what he wears after the game.

Last time i checked Ovechkin has made it known on many occasions he does what he wants to do and doesnt care who he upsets along the way so on behalf of ovechkin i'd like to apoligize for his passion to win a game and have his agent change his wardrobe so you can sleep better at night.

What a joke i cant believe wanting to beat canada on their home ice is offensive to you. I hope what i have said in this response doesn't lead to you pressing charges against me lmao

Bolded = Bingo
Guest4050 Posted - 02/27/2010 : 06:43:45
"His comment was nothing would be better than to beat Canada and to beat them in Canada. I don't think you'd even hear an American player say something like that".

I must be a little slow as i find nothing offensive about such a comment but have to ask are you seriously retarded. What is so direspectful about saying there is no better feeling then beating the best team on their home ice. You must of missed keslers comments on how he and the US hated the canadians.

Have you ever played sports in your life any and every athlete aspires to knock off the big dog and to beat them in their back yard. Then you have an issue on what he decides to wear are you a premadona or something. How bout you worry about what he does on the ice instead of what he wears after the game.

Last time i checked Ovechkin has made it known on many occasions he does what he wants to do and doesnt care who he upsets along the way so on behalf of ovechkin i'd like to apoligize for his passion to win a game and have his agent change his wardrobe so you can sleep better at night.

What a joke i cant believe wanting to beat canada on their home ice is offensive to you. I hope what i have said in this response doesn't lead to you pressing charges against me lmao
Thrasher Posted - 02/27/2010 : 01:34:57
Like others, I'm a little insulted by Ovie Wearing Sochi clothing during the games. Yes, he is allowed to be proud, and yes he can wear what he wants, but Sochi is 4 years away. Your participating in another Countrys Olympics, an extremely important event. Your country gets it next. Why did he need to advertise it here? Cant you wait two weeks before wearing them? I understand pride in ones country, but at the cost of perhaps insulting the host nation and everyone who put so much work in so that YOU can participate and enjoy the games? I havent exactly found Ovie to be a great role model for kids. Too reckless, too brash, too cocky. Personal bias aside, Ovie really didnt make himself look good on camera either. Hockey players should all be able to deal with adversity, and Ovechkin didnt show it there. Yes, you lost. You don't want to be taped? Too bad. Your making 9 million dollars a year. Suck it up. Ask politely to turn off the camera, and if he doesnt then walk away. In retrospect, im sure he regretted it, and it probably was just a mistake out of anger. But thats why he needs to be so careful, hes under a microscope.

The olympics have maybe not been the best time for Ovechkin, and I agree his attitude may have been out of line.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page