Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ovechkin's attitude Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  17:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am curious if anyone else finds Ovechkin disrespectful. I'm talking specifically about these Olympics. Couple things I noticed that didn't sit right with me were one of his comments and what he chose to wear.
His comment was nothing would be better than to beat Canada and to beat them in Canada. I don't think you'd even hear an American player say something like that.
Then he chose to wear Sochi clothing at the Vancouver Olympics.
Pretty classless individual.

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  17:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would never confuse Ovechkin and a classy player. It's just a perfect example of his me first type of attitude that he shows on and off the ice.

Some people like the brashness and cockiness. Personally, I don't.

One thing I thought was great was the flashy skates he was wearing early in the tourney. Some kind of angry sheep painted on the side just above the blade. Apparently, Ovechkin means sheep or something like that in Russia.

As soon as they lost to Slovakia, he stopped wearing them.

What is it about hearing a cocky fella with nothing to say???
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  17:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well,

Ovechkin has said or made reference to things in the past that I for one did not find very tasteful. But as for that comment, i'm not sure it's all that terrible. He could have worded it differently, perhaps.

But the bottom line is that he's just stating how nice it would be to beat Team Canada (which, i'd hope he wants to do as he's Russian,) and doing it in the toughest place to do so. I don't think he was putting down Canadians, although I could be wrong.

As for Sochi clothing, he is Russian. Nothing wrong with having some pride. The article of clothing / hockey gear that made me think he believes he's above all were the customized skates with the goat, flame and number 8 on them.

Apparently fellow teammates after game 1 or 2 had him remove them, as they also felt it to be a little over the top.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  18:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Irvine. I'm not saying that Ovechkin is a classy individual but using this for an example is a little weak. Of course he wants to beat Canada in Canada. Canadians are the top of the pack and every single team wants to beat them. To do it in Canada would make it even sweeter. I can guarantee that every non-Canadian player feels that way. Ovechkin is brutally honest so he just said what everyone was thinking. I got no problems with that.

As for the clothing, he is Russian and proud of it. Who cares? Just because he is playing in North American doesn't mean that he needs to become North American. I thought we pride ourselves in allowing all cultures to keep their identities. Would you be pissed off if Crosby would wear a "Canadian, Eh" shirt if the Olympics were in Russia? I think not.

Ovechkin is who he is. Yes, he is cocky but he wears his heart on his sleeve and that carries through more than just on the ice. Love him or hate him, the NHL needs him.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  18:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way he put it is how someone with a chip on there shoulder would say it.
Wearing Sochi clothing in Vancouver is basically turning your nose up to Canada and Vancouver's efforts. Trying to take attention away from this games and put the attention on what he wants. It's completely classless.

And now there is this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KDQbTOTc3M&feature=player_embedded

Seems like he is a sore loser now as well.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0854
( )

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  18:52:34  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

The way he put it is how someone with a chip on there shoulder would say it.
Wearing Sochi clothing in Vancouver is basically turning your nose up to Canada and Vancouver's efforts. Trying to take attention away from this games and put the attention on what he wants. It's completely classless.

I would be really happy if the Sochi clothing was made in Russia and that's why Ovie wore it. Unlike the VanOC clothing which was made in China. Uggh!. How about rather than trying to take attention away from Canada he is supporting Russia? Wouldn't that be classy?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  20:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow . . . read into things much?

As a Canadian, nothing would give me more hockey pride than beating a stacked Russian team in Russia - that's just a fair statement, my friends. All it means is that to truly be considered the best, you have to beat the best, and to beat the best on their home soil means there is no doubt for the moment.

How anyone could possibly imagine that as "classless" is beyond me.

As for wearing Sochi apparel at the Vancouver Olympics . . . uh, again - what's wrong with that? Is there a ban on wearing anything non-Vancouver Olympics? Do I get kicked out for wearing a '72 series jersey? A Canada Cup jersey? A Calgary Olympics jersey? How promoting the next Olympics at an Olympic event belittles or demeans it is beyond me . . . I would think all it does is promote the whole Olympic movement, and certainly promotes NHL player participation at the next Olympics - something we enjoy now, and are in danger of losing, and which both Ovechkin and the Olympic committee want.

You are way, way, WAY off base here.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  20:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And after watching the utube video, I can see that you simply hate Ovechkin for some reason and are really reaching to try and paint him as an 'arsehole'.

Dude, it's a russian person with a video camera at a mall or some other public place, and Ovechkin doesn't feel like being harassed as he walks through while talking on the phone. I can tell the camera person is aggressive . . . otherwise you'd just get a far away shot as they back up when Ovie waves his hand in a clear gesture of "not now".

Sure, OV might be real pissed right now - I would be too.
Sure, he might be a cocky sunofabitch with an attitude problem - would be hard not to be when you are the millionnaire player he is.

But this is certainly not proof of it to me.

What's with this big smear attempt? I find it classless, myself, to rub someone's nose in a tough and humiliating loss . . . I would have thought you were above this.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's see if I can put it in perspective for you. Him wearing Sochi clothing would be akin to a child having a birthday party but having one of the guests at the party continually say, my birthday party is coming up, can't wait till my birthday party, my birthday party will be great too. It's just in bad taste. In the here and now everyone is celebrating the Vancouver 2010 Olympics. Not the Sochi 2014 Olympics. That will happen in four years. Wearing that attire now is disrespecting all of the very hard work and effort put into these Games to make them a success. A Games that Ovechkin is participating in. It's not much different than that clown who was yawning on the podium. Show some respect for the hospitality you have been show.

The beating Canada in Canada comment shows the vindictive nature of Ovechkin. 'I'm going to beat you and I'm going to beat you in your own rink because that would hurt you most'. It isn't 'I want to win because I want to prove to everyone how good I am.' There is a difference. There's my dimestore psychology for today.

Hate is a very strong word Slozo. I certainly don't hate Ovechkin. That seems pretty silly to me. I was simply expressing my opinions of him that I have formed over time from his actions. These were the latest examples. You don't agree and that's fine with me.

As for being a cocky so and so, there are a multitude of players who don't seem to be afflicted with that issue. But hey, let's give Ovechkin a pass on that. It's ok from him.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:10:38  Reply with Quote
all I have to say is that if Ovie wants to beat Canada so bad, then he should have brought his game with him. Richards, Crosby and company proved this point at the world Jr. All you have to do is get after him and he folds like a cheap shirt, video doesn't lie. What did Ovie do in the game after Doughty smoked him into the boards..................the answer is SFA, except a whole lot of whinning
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya Slozo, I gotta say I find that it is your comments that are off base here. We all have the right to our own opinions, and if someone's opinion is that wearing Sochi apparel is disrespectful to the current host nation it's not unreasonable. Although I agree with you that it is not the end all be all of disrespect, but it is hard to argue that Ovechkin is attempting at making a statement by it. And that statement is not supportive of the current games. What is the point?? What positive statement is he making??

More than anything, I can think of some 200+ players in and around Vancouver tonight that do not carry this kind of attitude around and they are all part of the best players in the world.

The video to me is also not a person painting Ovechkin with the negative brush, he does that on his own. As a hockey player, and even more so as one with Ovechkin's profile, one has to accept a certain level of public adoration and the thirst of fans to their heroes. If he doesn't like it, quite playing hockey. In this case, Ovechkin says nothing about nothing. The camera man was aggresive??? I guess getting walked through and stepped on makes the camera man agressive. If Ovechkin says anything, gestures for the guy to stop, attempts to avoid the camera I agree with you complete. The video show Ovechkin say nothing, gesture nothing, just reach out and grab the guys camera as he walks through him.

Does that say class to you??

Personally, I could not imagine any of Canada's best acting like that. If they did, could you imagine the backlash from the Canadian media??Ovechkin doesn't get a pass to be a jerk because he's a phenom, has an ego, is Russia, they just lost, or any other reason.

The best of the best always have egos. Some far larger than others. However, the ones that get remembered are alway the classy guys. Ya ever see Ray Bourque walk through a camera man??
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  01:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! You Mod's plan this? I mean, after the "parrot" thread and the mutual love for each other, you're suddenly all over one another? Classic!

Sorry Willus/Beans, and this has nothing to do with the talking birds, but i got Slozo's back on this one! It'd be like Lapierre cheap shotting Marc Savard! I'm Lucic and Slozo's Savard! You two, yup, one of ya is La, the other's Pierre! Okay, i think i made my point!

How ANYONE could possibly have a problem with Ovie saying " nothing would be better than to beat Canada and to beat them in Canada" is beyond me. As others have explained, WE are supposed to be the best. WE are playing on our own turf! WE are the targets of every other nation!!! Absolutely NOTHING wrong with saying this!!! I'm not even about to say this is my opinion, it's pretty much a fact!!! Deal with it!

The clothing? Well, i do agree that he should sport some current Team Russia gear. Now, seeing as i don't know what that consists of aside from their uni's, i shouldn't really comment. The way i see it, i don't know enough about how the guy has dressed since being here and i don't care all that much either? If he's been wearing team gear most of the time and is then pictured wearing a "Sochi" outfit some other time (perhaps his free time?), i could care less! I hope he's, and i know he is, psyched for the games in his own country! I don't for a second, think that he's intentionally trying to "diss" Canada/Vancouver for a second!!!

The skates with the flaming goat? Couldn't care less! Whatever floats yer boat as far as i'm concerned! Obviously they didn't do him much good???

The video does nothing to change my opinion of him. I never loved the guy or considered him to be one of the classier players to begin with so it really doesn't matter anyway? However, do we know what this video is from? Where it's from? WHEN it's from? One thing i don't agree with (SLOZO) is the comment about the camera person being "aggressive"? Do we really know this for sure? To me, it looked like as he got closer, he/she zoomed in and Ovie made the move to "remove" the camera from his face! This person might have been in an area where camera's were allowed for all we know and may not have even tried to get close or in his face?? Either way, he was prob frustrated and sometimes these things happen, i don't care who you are!!!

I do agree that Ovie is cocky, but as i said in another thread, you gotta be good to be cocky. While Ovie didn't have a very good game the other night, there's no taking away from him the fact that he's one of the best in the world at the game of hockey! True, there're many great players who aren't cocky or don't feel the need to be (Iggy, Doan, Smyth to name a few) but i certainly don't feel i need to compare Ovie to these guys? Some will like him better, some will like the others more? I don't call it "giving Ovie a pass", rather, what sort of guy you like more as a person. Perhaps you could claim, he's not as good of a role model or something along those lines???

Lastly, Beans, how can you say that Slozo is "off base" here by claiming he's not respectfull of Willus' opinion? Are you not doing the same thing right back?? Willus' opinion of Ovie's actions and wardrobe are that he's "disrespectful" and "classless". Slozo's opinion is that Willus' post is a "classless, smear attempt" against Ovie. Slozo disagree's with Willus' opinion, and you disagree with Slozo's? At least no one's being called a parrot???

Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  06:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with a Russian player wearing Sochi clothing lol.... How could anyone possibly see anything here? The skates were pretty flashy agreed, but he dropped them the second the team lost. He also snubbed english media to become more of a 'team player' during these olympics. Hardly something to chirp.

I like the fact that he wanted to beat Canada in Canada. Canadians wanted to beat the Russians just as bad, they just didn't say it in the media. At least he speaks his mind. And please, that youtube vid is [Mod Edit]. All it shows is that he was pissed his team lost. Wouldn't you be pissed too? The anti-Ovechkin stuff has really got to go, the guy is the freaking man.

[Please refrain from using words some may find offensive]

Edited by - Beans15 on 02/26/2010 07:53:13
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  06:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

LOL! You Mod's plan this? I mean, after the "parrot" thread and the mutual love for each other, you're suddenly all over one another? Classic!

We've all disagreed plenty of times before. Nothing new here.

quote:
If he's been wearing team gear most of the time and is then pictured wearing a "Sochi" outfit some other time (perhaps his free time?), i could care less!

Every interview I have seen with him he has been wearing Sochi attire.

quote:
The video does nothing to change my opinion of him. I never loved the guy or considered him to be one of the classier players to begin with so it really doesn't matter anyway?

May i ask why it is you hold that opinion of him?
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  06:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great many people go through life in ignorance, whether it be unintentional or a chosen ignorance, life is bliss for them as they have little cause for pause.

Edited by - willus3 on 02/26/2010 06:40:51
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  08:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I gotta ask about this video again. Using a comparison(unfortunately from a different sport) of Randy Johnson when he was traded to the Yankees. He got utterly roasted for making contact with a camera man. However, when you watch the clip, Johnson told the guy repeatedly that he would answer all questions at the press conference and for the guy to kindly take the camera out of his face. The camera guy did not listen, so Johnson asked him again. Still did not listen to Johnson told him to get the camera out of his face or else. Still the guy did not listen and finally Johnson did what he did.

If Ovechkin even did 1/8 of what Johnson did, I would emphatically agree that the camera man was out of line. However, Ovechkin says NOTHING. No gestures, no get out of my face, nothing. He just walked right through the guy.

Because he's "the man" means nothing. This is the kind of behavior that some have come to expect out of Ovechkin and (IMO) it's an embarrassment to the sport of hockey and the NHL to have the one of the best players and possibly the most high profile global rep of the sport act like a baby after Russia loses.

As I said before, if a guy like Crosby or Richards or Heatley did this, he would ostracized by his own media and us opinionated people would be ripping them up and down.

Why does Ovechkin get a free pass by some?? What makes it ok for him?? Is it because we expect it from him???

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  08:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points on both sides here, all I have to say is that Ovechkin and team russia got what they deserved; A Humiliating defeat in front of the world.

Im just glad to be able to say that without a shadow of a doubt the russian just arent in canadas league, no matter how many 'individual' talents you have it doesnt mean a damn thing if you dont play like a team and man up when it counts.

Id expect a little more class from ovechkin if i didnt know that he really doesnt have much to begin with. Storming out of vancouver with you entourage of guards and hoes shoving a poor fans camera out of your way is just the icing on the cake for me. He wanted to beat us badly, almost as badly as we wanted to destroy them. Better luck in 2014

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  09:58:38  Reply with Quote
You think they "deserved" a humiliating defeat in front of the world? I'm very glad Canada won and Russia lost. Not sure why they deserved to be humiliated though... Did the Russians say they were going to dominate us at any point, did they ever show anything other than the standard confidence their own team type comments. Or is it just that all non-Canadians deserve to be humiliated when they lose? Is that the spirit of the games you're looking for?

Ovie is an ambassador for the Sochi Olympics, if he wants to promote them that's his choice. It's not like he's going to get into HBC gear and start waiving a canadian flag. Has he said anything the directly belittles the Vancouver 2010 games? If so then I say sure he's being classless, if not I think there is some over analysis going on here.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  10:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they deserve to lose because the club is largley made up of 'me first' type players who claim they are right up there with the canadians as a hockey team.

they may be up there individually when matched up against canadian players but when it comes to a team game, the russians show time and time again that they just arent elite anymore.

Sure the russians won in 06, you cant win em all. Look at how well canada has done since 72.

2010 Olympics: Canada 7, Russia 3

2006 Olympics: Russia 2, Canada 0. Sweden wins Gold

2004 World Cup: Canada (Winner) 3, Russia 1

2002 Olympics: Did not play. Canada wins gold

1998 Olympics: Did not play. Russia wins silver, Czechs win Gold

1996 World Cup: Canada 5, Russia 3. US wins Gold

1991 Canada Cup: Canada 3 (Winner), Russia 3

1987 Canada Cup: Canada 3, Russia 3; Russia 6, Canada 5; Canada 6, Russia 5; Canada 6 (Winner), Russia 5

1984 Canada Cup: Russia 6, Canada 3; Canada 3 (Winner), Russia 2

1981 Canada Cup: Canada 7, Russia 3; Russia 8 (Winner), Canada 1

1976 Canada Cup: Canada 3 (Winner), Russia 1

1972 Summit Series: Canada (Winner) 4-3-1

So even before we broke our "50 year drought", Canada had gone 11-7-3 against Russia in "best on best" competition (excluding all Olympics pre-'98, the 1974 Summit Series which featured only WHA players, and all "World Championships"). Looking at overall results and not just head to head, Canada has won seven of eleven tournaments (with a chance at another this year), Russia only one (same as the US, Czechs and Swedes).

Maybe 'deserve to lose' isnt the right way to put it, but its definatley the way things should have been. The fact that the russians were even taken so seriously is kind of funny now. Their defence was brutal and they already had lost to slovakia.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8332
( )

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  12:31:13  Reply with Quote
Wait a minute Mr. Roberts, them some selective tourneys there. I'm sure there were a few tourneys missed.

How about 2008 WC: Russia over Canada in the finals in Quebec City? I don't think this was Canada's only loss and the Russian and Canadian squad was mostly the same.

Are we Canadians getting too far ahead of ourselves and becoming what we dread most - americans? You know the famous Bush speech, "if you are not with us you are with them kinda speech"?
Go to Top of Page

Guest8144
( )

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  12:47:50  Reply with Quote
Mostly the same? Nah.

I only included the 'best on best" tournaments. the world hockey championships are missing a ton of the world best players as most of them are still in the NHL playoffs, or just dont go.

I realize russia won the last 2 worlds, but like i mentioned above i was comparing the 2 countries when all of their best players were available to them.

I also didnt even include canadas domination over the russians at the world juniors.

Personally, i dont see anything wrong with the 'if youre not with us, then your against us" when it comes to hockey. Canadians dont have enough swagger as it is and we should be proud of our accomplishments in hockey on the world stage. If someone wants to step up to the plate and try and knock us off, by all means step up. But when we knock you on your ass we are going to raise our arms in victory. If we get beat, you better beleive we will come back guns a blazin.

Other countries will do the same, no doubt, but no one can match the success canada has had over the past 30-40 years.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  12:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry, that was me

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  14:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3
quote:
The video does nothing to change my opinion of him. I never loved the guy or considered him to be one of the classier players to begin with so it really doesn't matter anyway?

May i ask why it is you hold that opinion of him?

What exactly is your question? Is it, why does the video not change my opinion of him or why have i "never loved the guy or considered him to be one of the classier players......"???

The video does nothing for a few reasons. First of all, we know nothing as far as factual info about this clip? Where was it? When was it? Had the camera person been asked prior to this shot not to film him? Had he been harrassing him? Is there a reputation / history between him/her and Ovie? Know what i'm saying? There's just no telling what this rather short clip is all about. You def see one side of it and i'll admit, it paints him in a bad picture. I agree, Crosby, Nash, etc would be ripped apart in the media here if they did it, but as Beans said about Randy Johnson, there's more evidence that the Big Unit had asked the guy not to film him!

As for me not being a big Ovie fan or finding him to be one of the classier players? I find him a little over the top at times. While i love his passion, some of his antics / celebrations are a little too much. Perhaps hockey's not quite ready for this sort of thing? Classy to me is how i defined Iginla in a thread a month or so ago regarding Trevor Linden's last game. By no means am i calling Ovie classLESS, just not in my top 10 or 20 "classy" NHLers......

Hope that helps?
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  01:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like others, I'm a little insulted by Ovie Wearing Sochi clothing during the games. Yes, he is allowed to be proud, and yes he can wear what he wants, but Sochi is 4 years away. Your participating in another Countrys Olympics, an extremely important event. Your country gets it next. Why did he need to advertise it here? Cant you wait two weeks before wearing them? I understand pride in ones country, but at the cost of perhaps insulting the host nation and everyone who put so much work in so that YOU can participate and enjoy the games? I havent exactly found Ovie to be a great role model for kids. Too reckless, too brash, too cocky. Personal bias aside, Ovie really didnt make himself look good on camera either. Hockey players should all be able to deal with adversity, and Ovechkin didnt show it there. Yes, you lost. You don't want to be taped? Too bad. Your making 9 million dollars a year. Suck it up. Ask politely to turn off the camera, and if he doesnt then walk away. In retrospect, im sure he regretted it, and it probably was just a mistake out of anger. But thats why he needs to be so careful, hes under a microscope.

The olympics have maybe not been the best time for Ovechkin, and I agree his attitude may have been out of line.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4050
( )

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  06:43:45  Reply with Quote
"His comment was nothing would be better than to beat Canada and to beat them in Canada. I don't think you'd even hear an American player say something like that".

I must be a little slow as i find nothing offensive about such a comment but have to ask are you seriously retarded. What is so direspectful about saying there is no better feeling then beating the best team on their home ice. You must of missed keslers comments on how he and the US hated the canadians.

Have you ever played sports in your life any and every athlete aspires to knock off the big dog and to beat them in their back yard. Then you have an issue on what he decides to wear are you a premadona or something. How bout you worry about what he does on the ice instead of what he wears after the game.

Last time i checked Ovechkin has made it known on many occasions he does what he wants to do and doesnt care who he upsets along the way so on behalf of ovechkin i'd like to apoligize for his passion to win a game and have his agent change his wardrobe so you can sleep better at night.

What a joke i cant believe wanting to beat canada on their home ice is offensive to you. I hope what i have said in this response doesn't lead to you pressing charges against me lmao
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  10:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4050

"His comment was nothing would be better than to beat Canada and to beat them in Canada. I don't think you'd even hear an American player say something like that".

I must be a little slow as i find nothing offensive about such a comment but have to ask are you seriously retarded. What is so direspectful about saying there is no better feeling then beating the best team on their home ice. You must of missed keslers comments on how he and the US hated the canadians.

Have you ever played sports in your life any and every athlete aspires to knock off the big dog and to beat them in their back yard. Then you have an issue on what he decides to wear are you a premadona or something. How bout you worry about what he does on the ice instead of what he wears after the game.

Last time i checked Ovechkin has made it known on many occasions he does what he wants to do and doesnt care who he upsets along the way so on behalf of ovechkin i'd like to apoligize for his passion to win a game and have his agent change his wardrobe so you can sleep better at night.

What a joke i cant believe wanting to beat canada on their home ice is offensive to you. I hope what i have said in this response doesn't lead to you pressing charges against me lmao

Bolded = Bingo
Go to Top of Page

purrrnella
Top Prospect

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  11:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4real you dont think an american would say that, i hear it all day every day............. FROM ME

Kim
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  12:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willus, I think this thing should die. Obviously Ovechkin is a selfish and egotistical player who was not at his best when the camera man aproached him. I agree we do not have the whole story with regards to the push shove on the camera guy, and it is not the type of thing we want to see our respected athletes do. For that he should appologize. You hold him I'll punch him, K

With regards to the choice in clothing, when Olympic hockey officials start paying top tier athletes from Olympic profits money to endorse there attire then they can have a say in what an athlete can or can`t wear. I for one understand that Ovechkin is making a statement that hell or high water he is a Sochi Olympian no matter what the collective bargining agreement states. Washington should be scared this guy will bolt in 4 years to the KHL. This is always something to think about when signing a Russian.

I expect a player of Olympic caliber to tell the favorite team he is gunning to knock them off, be it that Canada is the host nation was even greater reason to make the statement. I respect the statement. Do you think he has egg on his face now?

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 02/27/2010 12:33:44
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  00:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if your gonna bash Ovechkin for wearing Sochi clothing and supporting the Sochi Olympics you might as well bash all of Russia, they took over science world for the Olympics to showcase what they will be doing in 4 years, oh, and Vanoc people took over a place in Tourin 4 years ago, who cares what cothes he wears or what they say on them. No disrespect at all, and as for the comment, are you freaking kidding me? I take that as a HUGE compliment, he's argueably the best player in the world, and he thinks that would be the best thing, well bring it on, it basically means he thinks next to Russia of course that Canada is the best, and btw in every Olympic sport the other Atheletes are trying to beat us.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  09:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well let me be the first Canadian to say in 4 years I hope we kick the sh*t out of Russia in Russia at the Sochi Olympics! WTF is wrong with that. I want to kick theyre ass even worsenext time around in front of a packed house in Russia so they can see first hand why we are te best. Does this make me a classless person? No it makes me proud to be a Canadian that loves hockey and how good we are at it.

As far as clothing goes give me a break. I find it offensive when fat chicks where revealing clothing. Quit streatching to put a guy down.

Camera guy yah he looked like a douch but like other's have said whats the whole story?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  09:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does there have to be a whole story???

Patrick Kane was tried, convicted, and sentenced before that whole story came out, why is Ovechkin any different??

Bottom line, Ovechkin gets a pass(by many) to be a complete d-bag because he is so amazing on the ice and is so popular.

That's the complete joke.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4762
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  10:02:06  Reply with Quote
Beans, there is a substantial difference between what Kane did and what Ovechkin did. Even if there wasn't, Kane barely got slapped on the wrist for his actions. You want the courts to waste more time giving Ovechkin a $200 fine? Please. People like you need to lighten up, big time.

Ovechkin's a guy that ruffles a few feathers (think toned-down version of J.R.). Some people enjoy people that are honest and speak their mind, rather than the usual default hockey player media-speak every single game (think Crosby, Spezza or basically everyone else in the league). I enjoy guys that aren't afraid to say anything even remotely controverial to the press.

This opinion of mine isn't unique, either. Let's remember who won the last TWO Lester B. Pearson trophies, as voted by the NHLPA. Ovechkin is respected league-wide, and only harcore traditionalists are offended by his actions (which aren't close to d-bag by the way).
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  10:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans yes the story would make me decide one way or another about what I thought of the camera situation.

Put it this way beans if you were to video tape me for some reason and i asked you to stop like the big unit scenario...I am the kind of guy thats not going to push your camera im going to full out smoke you in the side of the head. And if that was the case in this video I think OV had every right to do what he did. If he just noticed some guy video tapeing him and went out of his way to go push the camera in his face then yes thats a douch bag move. But yah the way it went down matter's.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is exactly my point, no one knows what the background of the story is, but Ovechkin automatically gets the benefit of the doubt. Why??

The comparison to the Kane situation is from the start, not the outcome.

In the case of Kane, he was critisized immediately, before the entire story came out

In the case of Ovechkin, he is automatically give the benefit of the doubt, before the entire story comes out.

There is a double standard there, the question is why??
Go to Top of Page

Guest4339
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:16:07  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

This is exactly my point, no one knows what the background of the story is, but Ovechkin automatically gets the benefit of the doubt. Why??

The comparison to the Kane situation is from the start, not the outcome.

In the case of Kane, he was critisized immediately, before the entire story came out

In the case of Ovechkin, he is automatically give the benefit of the doubt, before the entire story comes out.

There is a double standard there, the question is why??

Actually, judging from the replies in this thread alone, Ovechkin is NOT getting the benefit of the doubt. If he really was, there wouldn't be a discussion around how "classless" he is. There wouldn't be so many people on his back for everything he does, even if, like you said, depends on your perspective.

He says he wants to beat Canada and we're talking about how classless he is.

Kesler said he "hates Canada". Where's the hate for Kesler?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My issue with Ovechkin at the Olympics never was anything about his statement about beating Canada. Really nothing with the Sochi clothes either. I think there was a statement there but nothing ill-willed.

The only issue I have is that he can act like a complete jerk and 'classless' to that camera guy(at least what the video shows without any other background information) and people give him a free pass.

Ovechkin gets a pass and Kane gets the electric chair. If that is not a double standard, could someone explain to me what is??

(By the way, can't stand Kesler either. Never have liked him, but the topic is Ovechkin's attitude, not Kesler's)
Go to Top of Page

Guest4339
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:32:29  Reply with Quote
quote:

My issue with Ovechkin at the Olympics never was anything about his statement about beating Canada. Really nothing with the Sochi clothes either. I think there was a statement there but nothing ill-willed.

The only issue I have is that he can act like a complete jerk and 'classless' to that camera guy(at least what the video shows without any other background information) and people give him a free pass.

Ovechkin gets a pass and Kane gets the electric chair. If that is not a double standard, could someone explain to me what is??

(By the way, can't stand Kesler either. Never have liked him, but the topic is Ovechkin's attitude, not Kesler's)

The comparison to Kesler is to show that Ovechkin doesn't get a free pass, but OK let's focus on the video.

It sounds like what you're trying to say is that we should assume Ovechkin was being a d-bag/a-hole/ or whatever and he has to prove his innocence. We are to assume that he was unprovoked and he simply went over to mess with the camera person.

Guilty until proven innocent essentially?
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, you were ragging on Ovechkin before the whole video thing came up. You were complaining about his classlessness before that came into play so obviously it wasn't the video that did it....
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, the point is missed. I am not arguing if Ovechkin is a classless guy or not. As ThortonistheMan has stated, I have been raging on him for a long long time.

The point I am inquiring about(not even arguing) is why Ovechkin gets a pass while other NHL players, pro athetes, etc are expect to carry themselves to a higher standard?

Randy Johnson clearly warns the camera man multiple times, then pushes the camera away and he got beat down.

Patrick Kane beats on a cabbie and before the story is 5 minutes old, people are calling for jail time.

Ovechkin pushes over a camera guys without saying anything and people say, "Oh, that's ok."

I don't get it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4339
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:55:30  Reply with Quote
quote:

Again, the point is missed. I am not arguing if Ovechkin is a classless guy or not. As ThortonistheMan has stated, I have been raging on him for a long long time.

The point I am inquiring about(not even arguing) is why Ovechkin gets a pass while other NHL players, pro athetes, etc are expect to carry themselves to a higher standard?

Randy Johnson clearly warns the camera man multiple times, then pushes the camera away and he got beat down.

Patrick Kane beats on a cabbie and before the story is 5 minutes old, people are calling for jail time.

Ovechkin pushes over a camera guys without saying anything and people say, "Oh, that's ok."

I don't get it.

Shoving a camera is slightly different from assault allegations and when Kane was actually arrested. It also looks like that no damage was incurred since the person simply continued filming afterwards and nobody around seemed surprised at the least.

I think most people here simply said they are withholding judgment until there is more information; which I think is fair in this case.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think these situations are comparable.
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to say someone is a complete d bag off of the ice is assuming much eh? the truth is that you dont know the guy personally so back off. i'm not the biggest ovie fan in the world but what i do understand is that when your constantly under the microscope of the relentless slime that is the media its ok to have a lapse in judgement ever so often, it doesnt neccessarily make someone a complete d bag. imagine how you would react if cameras followed you around every where you go just waiting for a moment of weakness that they can videotape and sell to major news outlets.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page