Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Pick the Series Winner 2010**Changed Again**

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beans15 Posted - 04/11/2010 : 16:43:50
Ok, Alex normally does this every year, but I am going to throw it out this season. Your picks must be in before puck drop of the playoffs. Your pick must be the team that wins the series and the number of games the series will last.

1/2 of the field will be cut each round, tie breaker will be closest number of games without going over.

Change

Difference between total games of all series will be tie breaker regardless of over or under.

For example:

Player #1, #2, and #3 all pick 5 winners.

Player#1 picks all series combined to end in 46 games. Player#2 picks all series combined to end in 42 games.
Player #3 picks all series combined to end in 43 games.

All series end in 43 games.

The order would be
Player #3 - Dead On
Player #2 - Off by 1 game
Player #1 - Off by 3 games.

If the cut off line is tied in both winners picked and games, both will move on.

East

Washington vs Montreal
New Jersey vs Philadelphia
Buffalo vs Boston
Pittsburgh vs Ottawa

West
San Jose vs Colorado
Chicago vs Nashville
Vancouver vs Los Angeles
Phoenix vs Detroit

Good Luck!

40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 06/10/2010 : 04:55:42
Beans, well done on all counts. You won the playoff guessing fair and square, and congrats to you on that. But most importantly, thanks for being such a good sport with our bet and carrying that Maple Leafs avatar proudly beside your name . . . We will definitely have to think of another bet for the regular season with the same stakes on the line for the playoffs (I really like the concept, myself).

Cheers!
Now we talk about who gets Kaberle and Hamhuis and Kovalchuk and Marleau and the draft and trades . . . sigh. It never ends, does it?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest4271 Posted - 06/10/2010 : 01:22:34
Thanx for the friendly competition, it was a well fought series, I took Chicago, but in 5, and goal total was 25......I think, as Beans said irrelevent. Later
Alex116 Posted - 06/09/2010 : 23:47:07
Beans, you're lucky it didn't come to goals!!! (although i don't know how many your competition took?). Either way, unlike me, well done!
Beans15 Posted - 06/09/2010 : 21:23:21
Well, the Cup has been hoisted by the Blackhawks in 6 games.

Slozo and Flying-V both picked the Flyers.

Beans and Guest4247 both picked Chicago.

Beans picked Chicago in 6 games.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner...

Total Goals are irrelevant.

I shall gladly take bragging rights for the summer.

I would also like to call your attention to my avatar, which has been replaced to its correct picture. My bet has been satisfied and I am patiently awaiting my next opportunity to regain my respect.
n/a Posted - 05/31/2010 : 12:12:16
Thanks a lot Beans . . . been a fun but rough weekend, and I was kicking myself as the game started on Saturday night (I watched from my hotel in NYC) that I had forgotten to make my pick formally beforehand.

Yeah, after a shootout game like we saw in the first, it sort of makes you take a step back, eh? Two very good defences there, but it was a wild game to watch, and very entertaining. Still, it could totally tighten up from here on in, so I don't think your low goal total is impossible . . . we shall see!

Beans15 Posted - 05/31/2010 : 10:18:28
C'mon, what kind of Jerk do you think I am!!

You're pick is good Slozo.

And it looks like this is where you and I can differ. Chicago in 6 is my pick. My goals are low so I am hoping for a few low scoring games to give my self a chance.
n/a Posted - 05/31/2010 : 05:15:33
Beans, what can I say . . . I totally forgot to make my pick here before leaving for the weekend where I had no internet . . . argh. As you see in another post, I would have picked the Flyers.

Would have picked Flyers in 7, 35 total goals . . . but I will totally understand if I am forfeit here. My bad.

FLYING -V Posted - 05/29/2010 : 16:16:17
Flyers in 7

I've just got a weird feeling in my gut about this one. Total goals, 40

Its not worth winning if you cant win big!
FLYING -V Posted - 05/25/2010 : 20:56:20
Once again Flying -V squeaks through to the next round. I have no idea on this one. I picked Philly for the cup in pre-season than flopped my vote to Chicago mid way through. I then abandoned both of them in favour of the Sharks(who let me down). I think I'll have to ponder this one a little longer.

By the way, classy move by Hawkinoilcountry, had our roles been reversed I probably would have tried to sneak in. Thanks,pal.

Beans15 Posted - 05/25/2010 : 16:49:38
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinOilCountry

Beans,

Flying V picked 58 goals and I picked 70 (very very wrong). So I think he's in and I'm out.

Whether I'm the game or not; my pick is Chicago in 5, 20 goals

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.

You are correct Sir. I had your numbers reversed.

Flying-V is in, HawkinOilCountry is out.

Thanks
n/a Posted - 05/25/2010 : 08:28:16
Beans - I called Philly in 6 games and they won in 5 . . . so isn't that a differential of 1, putting me ahead of you? Oh wait - you picked exactly the same as me, pfffffft.

So we have until Saturday to pick who wins between Chicago and Philly . . . hmm. This bodes much better for Philly to get the guys returning from injury even healthier.

I'll have to think a bit more before making my pick.

HawkinOilCountry Posted - 05/25/2010 : 08:15:20
Beans,

Flying V picked 58 goals and I picked 70 (very very wrong). So I think he's in and I'm out.

Whether I'm the game or not; my pick is Chicago in 5, 20 goals

Guest4271 Posted - 05/24/2010 : 22:19:20
This should be quick, I'm taking Chicago in 5, with the total goals being 25............the Chicago dynasty begins now!! P.S. Thanks for the fun competition
Beans15 Posted - 05/24/2010 : 20:55:53
For my championship pick

Chicago

in 6 Games

22 Total Goals
26 Goals
Beans15 Posted - 05/24/2010 : 20:55:07
Guest4271 - Picked both series correct and moves on.

Beans15 and Slozo both picked 1 series correct and had a game differential of 2 and move on to the finals.

Flying-V, Irvine, and HawkinOilCountry all picked one series and had a game differential of 4. The tie breaker went to total goals. The actual total goals were 44. Flying V picked 58, Irvine picked 62, and HawkinOilCountry picked 70.

99Pickles got both series incorrect.

Moving on:

Guest4271
Slozo
Bean15
HawkinOilCountry
Flying-V

Pick Winner, Pick Games, and Pick total Goals

You have until puck drop, 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific on May 29th.

FLYING -V Posted - 05/20/2010 : 17:26:40
58 goals if its not too late

HawkinOilCountry Posted - 05/16/2010 : 13:54:06
Crap. 0423 is me.

Guest0423 Posted - 05/16/2010 : 13:52:53
70 Goals total, if I'm not too late getting the goals in.
irvine Posted - 05/16/2010 : 12:37:28
Total Goals for both series combined: 62

Irvine/prez.
99pickles Posted - 05/16/2010 : 11:17:17
San Jose def Chic in 6

Mont def Philly in 6

Total goals all teams: 60

(In the event of a tie-breaker: is it total goals without going over, or just most accurate either way - over or under. Just trying to see issues before they arise.)
Guest2792 Posted - 05/16/2010 : 09:30:15
Yes,I was in the first two rounds as guest 4271, just on my home computer today, and the other was my work computer
Guest2792 Posted - 05/16/2010 : 09:27:29
I will take Chicago in 6, and Philly in 6, and my total goals are 68,
Beans15 Posted - 05/16/2010 : 08:01:55
Slozo, as 13 people were in, 1/2 is 6.5. I round up, not down as I think the more people in the more fun it is. So I took 7 and ties.

The final round will not have more than 4 people as the 3rd tiebreaker will ensure separation.

As far as you and I both picking the same teams and games, I guest great minds think alike??
n/a Posted - 05/16/2010 : 06:26:38
Actually, looking over everyone's records in the second round, I don't know why the 1-0 guys were included, as leaving it at two correct picks would have been half the field - as Beans said earlier he would cut out half the field each time.

Whatever.

I think I need to add total goals scored though . . . odd that Beans has picked the exact winners and game length of the series that I have, so I guess I can't pick the same number of goals scored!

So, I called San Jose in 5 games (now I am nervous about the series length, but I'll stick with it) . . . and I think there will be mostly 3-2 games here, with one or two blowouts. Lets say about 28 goals all together . . . hmm. With the empty netters inflating things, I'll put it up to 30.

I called Philly in 6 games . . . and I still like this pick and the number of games. I say Philly wins twice by a 2-0, 2-1 score . . . and I do think they will pile on for two games, with 6 or even 7 goals with the Habs getting a few. In the Habs wins, I predict one in o/t maybe 3-2, and the other one a solid 4-1 or something like that (the first game in Montreal).

So, higher scoring than most might pick, I say 35 goals there.

65 goals total.

OILINONTARIO Posted - 05/15/2010 : 18:20:04
Haven't been around for a while. Just wanted to remind everybody I picked Chitown and Philly for the finalists months ago based on the respective past records of Hossa and Pronger in the years after they had been traded. Would prefer Sharks v. Habs, but I stick by my prediction.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2010.
irvine Posted - 05/15/2010 : 17:48:49
The Flyers doing the unprobable, and coming back from 0-3 to win the series in 7, has advanced me! Woohoo! lol.

Anyhow,

@uteman:

I've bet against the Habs in the past two series, and I have done it again.

Can the Habs advance to the finals? Sure they can. At this point, I believe the Habs could take it all, after eliminating the Presidents Trophy Winner, and the Defending Stanley Cup Champs.

But, can the Canadiens compete with a rough and tumble, hit hard, grinding team like the Flyers? I'm not so sure. They have yet to play against a team in the playoffs of this style yet. The Flyers may just grind them down to nothing.

Here is where, I believe, the Habs size could hurt them. The Flyers goal will be to hit them hard, every chance they get. They'll also do some rough stuff, post-whistle, etc... until the Habs can't take any more.

This will be a tough contest for the Habs I think.

Irvine/prez.
umteman Posted - 05/15/2010 : 15:58:29
Oh well, couldn't match last years success. Second year in a row I have been bitten by the Sharks; since when do those guys go past the second round? Anyway not advancing isn't as bad as dealing with Flyers fans at work, lol. How many of us are thinking the Habs just might do it? It seemed so improbable as the playoffs began yet here they are in the conference final having eliminated both the #1 seed and the defending champs in succession!

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
irvine Posted - 05/15/2010 : 14:22:05
Philly VS Montreal -- Flyers in 6

San Jose VS Chicago -- Sharks in 7

Irvine/prez.
Sensfan101 Posted - 05/15/2010 : 14:17:20
Crap I just realized I didn't get my picks in on time. I was on vacation and hadn't even heard results of any of the games

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
FLYING -V Posted - 05/15/2010 : 10:44:52
How the eff do i make it through goin 1-3???
Anyways here are my picks.

Sharks in 6: I had originally picked the Hawks to come out of the west but after watching the San Jose detroit series, I had to flip my vote. The sharks are playing unreal.

Flyers in 7: Honestly, the habs are probably going to win, but i'll be damned if im going to acknowledge it.

Alex116 Posted - 05/15/2010 : 02:43:28
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Alex116 was the only one with the goose-egg.

AHHH! Look at me stand out!

It's a small consolation, but when i see guys like "Flying V" going thru with 1 correct, i don't feel so bad.
Beans15 Posted - 05/14/2010 : 19:26:56
I will take

Philly in 6 - I think the Cinderella run is over and Montreal has not played a team nearly as physical as the Flyers. Plus, looking at what the Flyers just did to Boston, I can't bet against them.

San Jose in 5 - Agreed, Slozo. Not only do I think that San Jose is a better team than Vancouver, but they are also better coached. And if Vancouver ultimately outplayed Chicago 5 on 5, San Jose is going to run over them.

Total Goals Scored 53.

Beans15 Posted - 05/14/2010 : 19:22:55
No one got all 4 series correct. The best was HawkinOilCountry and Beans with 3 series and dead on games played.

Alex116 was the only one with the goose-egg.

Those who are into the next round are bold and in Green below.

The next series started on Sunday afternoon. I will accept your picks as long as the time stamp is Sunday before 7:00pm Pacific/10:30pm Eastern. (I will be away in the Rockies on a mini Golf Trip. I will update on Tuesday when I get back)

Winning team and Number of Games. Added to this round is total number of goals scored(combined, all teams) to ensure we don't have too many ties. Top 1/2 move on to the Finals.

Name Correct Picks Game Differential
HawkinOilCountry 3 0
Beans15 3 0
99Pickles 2 1
Slozo 2 1
Irvine 2 1
tbar 2 2
Guest4271 1 0
FLYING-V 1 0

Thrasher17 1 1
umteman 1 1
polishexpress 1 1
MrBoogedy 1 3
Alex116 0 1
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 05/14/2010 : 19:20:35
Chicago over San Jose in 6

Montreal over Philly in 7

n/a Posted - 05/14/2010 : 19:19:45
Woo hoooooooo!!!! I made it!

I mean . . . ahem - cool, here are my third round picks, fresh after watching that amazing game in Boston (eat your heart out, Don Cherry, ha ha haaaaa!!!):

San Jose vs Chicago: the Sharks win in 5 games
As stated previously, I think the Sharks will sort of roll unexpectedly against the Hawks . . . but who knows with the way this playoffs has gone.

Philly vs, Montreal: the Flyers in 6
It's like banging your head against a wall this year betting against the Habs, as they don't seem to understand that they are supposed to lose . . . and all the credit to them. But - welcome to a real defense, welcome to a team like yourself that is quick on the counter while playing defensively responsible. Oh, and these guys hit hard, have even and balanced scoring, and . . . well, they don't have an A goalie, but he's playing well enough I think.

Onward! Upward!

Beans15 Posted - 05/13/2010 : 08:24:20
Brilliant Alex. I only hope I can be as classy and honorable when I bow out as I will be betting against Montreal again and more than likely lose. I also think I am betting for the Sharks and will get stung on that as well.

Beans15 Posted - 05/13/2010 : 08:24:14
Brilliant Alex. I only hope I can be as classy and honorable when I bow out as I will be betting against Montreal again and more than likely lose. I also think I am betting for the Sharks and will get stung on that as well.

Alex116 Posted - 05/13/2010 : 08:05:14
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Sadly, regardless who wins, these people are out:

MrBoogedy
Alex116(betting with his heart rather than his head Just Kidding Buddy)

My imitation of Sidney Crosby:
Yeah, it's tough being knocked out, but i gotta give credit to those guys. They made the right picks and i didn't. It's hard to explain, i really thought the Canucks had it this year against a rookie goalie and that the Wings were on a roll that didn't seem ready to end. The Pitt/Mtl series, well, i really wanted the Habs to win it and nothings impossible but after coming off a 7th game vs the Caps i didn't think they'd have enough left in the tank? Either way, i'm out and i gotta give a lotta props to those guys going through to the final round.

What "Crosby Haters" hear:
It's freakin' ridiculous! There's no way i should be knocked outta this thing buy guys like Beans, tbar and the rest of those guys! I swear, they prob flipped coins or something! They simply got lucky and got all the breaks! I'm much better than them at this thing and they don't deserve to be going through!

Beans, I WAS NOT betting with my heart! When i made my picks, i made some spelling mistakes. I spelled Chicago V a n c o u v e r. Doesn't matter i suppose, if Philly wins, i go 0 'fer! Sweet! I'm like the Canucks! Solid for one round! Should i change my name to LUUUUUU?
n/a Posted - 05/13/2010 : 07:05:02
Normally I hate the Flyers, but I will be cheering for them tomorrow night. I truly think they deserve the series the way it has gone so far, and as stated previously, they were robbed by bad luck a couple of the games that Boston won, and I feel like they are the better team.

That, and, it would be nice to squeeze into the third round

HawkinOilCountry Posted - 05/12/2010 : 22:50:05
I've got a case of Beer riding on Philly accomplishing that very feat! Go FLYERS!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page