Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Coach of the Year so far

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 02/24/2008 : 08:08:05
I think so far Wayne Gretzky has been a good candidate so far and I also think Joel Quenville should deserve some credit too because he's had some top players go down with injuries and the Avs are still in playoff race.

Go Stars
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 02/26/2008 : 05:38:33
Good point, Leafsfan101 - I forgot about Julien. He definitely deserves strong consideration.

Yeah, like I mentioned - the east has been the most surprising this year for me - I thought Montreal would miss the playoffs, I thought NJ would finish just out or in 8th/7th, and I certainly thought Boston would be out. Hey, I thought the Leafs and Canes would make it easily, so what do I know?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/26/2008 : 05:24:29
I would say my picks would be Gretzky, especially if the Coyotes make the playoffs, Dave Tippett, because honestly i did not think the Stars would be doing this well, and Brent Suter, because he has molded his team so well!
Honourable Mention to: Joel Quennville (espeically if the Avs go on a tear)
Claude Julien
Lindy Ruff
Guy Carbonneau

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Alex Posted - 02/25/2008 : 16:08:10
Slightly busy at the moment Nash, but without doing my homework on the matter, for now I will say this:

You cant say Washington is in 11th because in the SE a game can take you from third to eleventh. They are legit contenders for the division and their first playoff berth in I do not know how long.

Habs get number 25 this year
leafsfan_101 Posted - 02/25/2008 : 15:44:11
I don't think that this should necessarily be the winner of the award, but his name deserves some recignition. Paul Mau...no I'm joking. Claude Julien of the Boston Bruins. Boston was pegged to finish well out of the playoff race, and they sit 7th as of today. This, along with Boudreau, is incredible.

[img]http://www.hockeywidgets.com/sig/sigs/200820165144.png[/img]
nashvillepreds Posted - 02/25/2008 : 15:21:52
Alex, both St. Louis and Pittsburgh are on my list. As for the rest of the teams though:

Washington- they're in 11th
Columbus- Hitchcock behind the bench fulltime, Nash injury free, Peca added to the roster and Zherdev developing well, they're still out of playoff contention.
Chicago- They picked up Lang, Williams, Kane and Toews, how bad can they be? They're still in 11th.
Buffalo- 8th sounds about right. Conolly and Pominville injury free, plus they have an amazing defense core.
Colorado- With Hannan and Smyth, their army should've improved.I'm just wondering, who'd they lose?

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Alex Posted - 02/25/2008 : 15:16:45
Washington???
Penguins, after they lost Fleury and later Crosby??
Sabres, missing their two captains and with Vanek playing so cold for so long?
Colorado, missing their three offensive stars?
Columbus, with no big changes from last year other than in the wins column?
St Louis with no big changes from last year other than wins column?

You have some explaining NashPreds, but that's ok, I have time

nashvillepreds Posted - 02/25/2008 : 15:06:48
Alex, I thought all those teams would be where they are except the Canadiens, Blues, Preds, Devils, Pens and the stars.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Guest0321 Posted - 02/25/2008 : 09:39:03
Carbonneau for sure. Babcock has the best team. His success comes from his all star players. They may be hurt now, but they are the reason the wings are at the top of the NHL.
Carbonneau or Gretzky...pick'em
Alex Posted - 02/25/2008 : 08:37:41
I would say this NHL season has been testimony to the old adage

''It ain't over till it's over''

Honestly tell me you thought these teams would be where they are:

Devils
Penguins
Canadians
Sabres
Stars
Wild
Preds
Colorado
Columbus
Chicago
St. Louis
Washington

hkalirah Posted - 02/25/2008 : 08:30:28
What about Bruce Budreau from Washington?

The team had an abismal record before he came on the scene. Now they're fighting for the division lead and a playoff spot.

Go Wings Go!
Alex Posted - 02/25/2008 : 05:38:00
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

My vote right now? Sutter from NJ.
I really thought New Jersey would be life and death to make the playoffs this year, they have shocked me, frankly - and there are no "big years" happening there, except for the usual great performance by Brodeur. A close second would be Carbonneau for Montreal, another team I thought had little hope for the playoffs.

IF Gretzky/Phoenix or Hitchcock/Columbus make the playoffs, they should get strong consideration.

It's easy to say now ''oh look Montreal was a point away from the conference, they must be good.'' Frankly, coming from a fan, they weren't that good on paper.

Look at all the examples mentioned, and really THINK about who is where... it wasn't something most of us expected.

Now for people to say Babcock... I don't really see the justification when guys like these are working with teams that aren't nearly as skilled.

n/a Posted - 02/25/2008 : 05:35:12
My vote right now? Sutter from NJ.
I really thought New Jersey would be life and death to make the playoffs this year, they have shocked me, frankly - and there are no "big years" happening there, except for the usual great performance by Brodeur. A close second would be Carbonneau for Montreal, another team I thought had little hope for the playoffs.

IF Gretzky/Phoenix or Hitchcock/Columbus make the playoffs, they should get strong consideration.

Leafsfan_94 Posted - 02/24/2008 : 18:37:44
what?

quote:
Originally posted by Alex

quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

since NJ has mooved ahaid of ottawa, i actually should of thought of this, but another candiddate should be brent sutter

-Red Wings GM

Leafsfan_94

It's the same person

-Red Wings GM

Leafsfan_94

Leafsfan_94 Posted - 02/24/2008 : 18:08:52
since NJ has mooved ahaid of ottawa, i actually should of thought of this, but another candiddate should be brent sutter

-Red Wings GM

Leafsfan_94

Alex Posted - 02/24/2008 : 18:04:54
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

i'd say mike babcock since his tema is overall st in the league. gretzky somehow got his coyotes to step it up and get up into a playoff spot.

-Red Wings GM

Leafsfan_94

It isnt as hard to do what Babcock did this year as it is to do what some of the others name thrown out in this forum did.

Look at the East, New Jersey is ahead of Ottawa -- WHOA! I mean, New Jersey should barely be contenders for a post season berth, while Ottawa should be running away with this one. Anyone who picks the Ottawa coach over the New Jersey one has to make a very compelling case!

Leafsfan_94 Posted - 02/24/2008 : 18:01:04
i'd say mike babcock since his tema is overall st in the league. gretzky somehow got his coyotes to step it up and get up into a playoff spot.

-Red Wings GM

Leafsfan_94

Datsyuk 1 Posted - 02/24/2008 : 15:26:14
I would have to say Alain Vigneault (sp?). He has defence go down all year like Salo and Bieska and they are the top defense on Canucks and also he plays the guys who are going like Shannon, Cooke and Raymond. Last night against Detori t they played more then the Sedin Sister's.
nashvillepreds Posted - 02/24/2008 : 11:02:25
I agree with Devils Fanatic, Sutter has been the best coach this year. Take a look at his team, his top players will maybe hit the 60 point mark. Brodeur can't do everything on his own. He took a group of a bunch of young guys and made them a solid NHL team. without Sutter, I'd say they devils are battling for 8th right now.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Devils Fanatic Posted - 02/24/2008 : 10:44:03
I'll be the odd one out. I'll go with Sutter for the Devils.Isn't it his first year as coach in the NHL and his team is hovering around first in the Eastern conference. Since the slow start of the season the Devils are something like 32-12-3.

Devils fan since the 85-86 season
Alex Posted - 02/24/2008 : 09:00:59
Agreed. All the top candidates a.k.a. Babcock, Murray have faced adversity this year despite amazing support systems in their players.

I think Julien in Steel Town also deserves recognition, losing Crosby and Fleury... But Quenville had a harder job no question.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page