Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Great Debate

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Posted - 01/14/2009 : 14:48:05
There aren't that many people around that would remember the hype that surrounded this game the last time we played it, but I thought it would be worth it to introduce it to a ''new generation'' of forum members.

Rules
Players: 16 / 8 depending on turnout

Objective: Win hockey debates and move on

Format: We will make a bracket randomly, where each member is paired up with another. Once it is your turn, a hockey topic (ex. Instigator Penalty) will be thrown out. Taking turns, the players get 3 posts each to debate their side and give a rebuttal to any points their opponent makes.

Advancing: Once the debate is over, each member votes. This isn't ''which side I like better'' or ''which member I like better'' - it's ''which member debated his side better.'' The winner moves on to another debate on another topic.

Guidelines: Members will have one week to reply with their posts during their debate. The debate isn't an essay, something we can all, especially myself, learn from last time. It's a post.

And now, without further ado, I cordially invite all Great Debater hopefuls to sign-up for some of the most fun there is to be had on the web!

P.S. It was LRP's idea, so you can all - and should all - thank him!

Players
1. Alex
2. LeafsRockPlanet
3. MrD
4. Reeder17
5. ThorntonisTHEMAN
6. Beans15
7. fat_elvis_rocked
8. Avalanche_17
9. leafsfan_101
10. Chriso88
11. hanley6
12. Porkchop73
13. Lunchbox
14. Bigcat
15. Guest6255
16. DangleFest89
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bozonator Posted - 03/14/2009 : 01:22:49
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

Ditto!! let er' rip!

I'm stoked to see you debate man. Haha, just to see what witty remarks you will have. Thanks for the entertainment.
P.S let er' rip, please don't tell me thats a reference to a cartoon.
Anyways, lets see this debate.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 03/13/2009 : 20:57:16
Ditto!! let er' rip!
Lunchbox Posted - 03/13/2009 : 15:51:07
ready!
Alex Posted - 03/13/2009 : 14:10:46
OK so I don't want this game to fall off the face of the earth while we wait someone who is brave enough () to debate against me. So I think we should ''prorogue'' the current debate until someone steps up to the plate and agrees to join; until then, we will proceed as normal.

So, fatelvis and Lunchbox, are you guys ready for your debate?

''Yes we can!'' -Obama
hanley6 Posted - 03/09/2009 : 12:26:52
just give Alex the bye
leafsfan_101 Posted - 03/08/2009 : 17:31:39
Yes I agree with Beans. I think the pressing issue right now would have to be getting Alex's debate to begin.
Beans15 Posted - 03/08/2009 : 09:49:54
I don't think it really matters if he knows before or not. But I do think that the other guy should get choice on what side of the debate they want and who goes first.

That should be enough to keep things even.
hanley6 Posted - 03/07/2009 : 23:22:41
Alex has his debate next does anyone agree with me that we should all choose what topic Alex and his opponent should debate on? He has the advantage if he knows before everyone else
Alex Posted - 03/06/2009 : 12:46:01
The third debate will start as soon as someone subs for Guest6255. He hasn't responded in the other thread. Please join!
Chriso88 Posted - 02/17/2009 : 19:58:43
Dont worry im still here...been busy lately, kinda forgot about the debate sorry guys.

In the playoffs, will beats skill.
hanley6 Posted - 02/15/2009 : 17:19:08
Congratulations ThorntonistheMAN on the victory. Also great job Reeder17 you did well on your debates. You both made it tough choosing a winning.
leafsfan_101 Posted - 02/15/2009 : 10:35:07
Yep, I'm all ready. Nothing comming up, so I'm prepared to win my debate
Alex Posted - 02/15/2009 : 10:12:15
EDIT: Chriso88 has until tomorrow to respond or we pick a new guy. If you're in the great debate, please allow us to send you e-mails from the site! Otherwise it's impossible to reach the less active members...
Reeder17 Posted - 02/13/2009 : 19:05:38
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

Reeder, it's been an honour debating against you. I wish you the best of luck! As for me, I'm off to the sunny beaches of Florida! And I guess I'll see the results when I get back....

It was a hell of a debate bud. I'm kind of mad, I'd be able to debate a bit better if I had not got the topic I least wanted haha!. Good luck and have fun in Florida.

Crosby is Jesus the Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.

Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/13/2009 : 11:55:07
Reeder, it's been an honour debating against you. I wish you the best of luck! As for me, I'm off to the sunny beaches of Florida! And I guess I'll see the results when I get back....
hanley6 Posted - 02/12/2009 : 17:28:49
so, do we go a head and vote or what?
hanley6 Posted - 02/11/2009 : 10:46:48
quote:

awe shucks!!! guess we won't be finishing this one! well, just to let everyone know, I was saving my heavy artillery for my last post!

write you last one anyways then hahaha
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/11/2009 : 05:12:11
awe shucks!!! guess we won't be finishing this one! well, just to let everyone know, I was saving my heavy artillery for my last post!
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/09/2009 : 07:45:06
Reeder, lets finish this baby up! Spring break is coming and the beaches are calling!
hanley6 Posted - 01/28/2009 : 20:48:54
LMAO
Beans15 Posted - 01/28/2009 : 19:55:51
Whoa, guys. Exams might be important, but isn't Thorton going to see his lady friend?? That comes first(if you don't know what I mean now, you will learn soon enough), school 2nd, work 3rd, beer 4th, then the debate.

I have patience. There is no time line on me laying the smack down on someone's candy a$$.

IF YOU SMELLLLLLLALALALA,

WHAT THE BEANS,

IS COOKIN!!!

Alex Posted - 01/28/2009 : 15:57:32
quote:

Reeder, I got no worries with you! Exams come first bud! But Alex, are you saying you want one week per debate or one week to reply to each post?

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.

1 week is the maximum for each post. That being said, I'd like to see each debate finish within two weeks. But technically, the debates could last a month and a half each.

I would ask that members try not to use the 1 week deadline unless absolutely necessary. Obviously Reeder, exams come way before our game, and I understand completely that they take precedence.

In the future, generally speaking, let's all aim to be more prompt in our responses. Thank you.

''Yes we can!'' -Obama
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 01/28/2009 : 14:54:25
Reeder, I got no worries with you! Exams come first bud! But Alex, are you saying you want one week per debate or one week to reply to each post?

Brett Hull.
Reeder17 Posted - 01/28/2009 : 14:51:40
I have until Saturday. That is one week. I am busy with exams, I'm trying to get to it.

Crosby is not the Jesus Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.

Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 01/28/2009 : 14:30:55
Just letting you all know that tomorrow will be the last day that I can post a reply for the debate before the weekend. I'm gone this weekend so after tonight/tomorrow, you won't be hearing anything from me til Monday or Tuesday. If this a problem for the debate then you can deal with me as you like. But considering I'm visiting my g/f for the weekend, she probably wouldn't be too happy if I would stay home to do pickuphockey

Brett Hull.
hanley6 Posted - 01/27/2009 : 20:20:21
what happens if at the end of the 1 week (in a couple days) they both only have the 1 post? do we vote on that? or what? I don't think it could be ThorntonisTHEMAN's fault when he has to wait on Reeder17s second post
Alex Posted - 01/27/2009 : 14:25:19
quote:
Originally posted by Avalanche_17

Ya, I agree too. About 2 or 3 so it doesn't get too crazy.

I thought of this idea before, but I don't think it would work. If people can't stick to the guidelines, ie. posting within a week, than the solution surely can't be to bend other guidelines to accommodate them.

And I'm not in the least bit upset at the current debaters. To the contrary, I applaud them because they are in all likelihood taking this game seriously and trying hard to win, with research and all. But, it does concern me, and that's because it will undoubtedly set a precedent. If each debate takes two weeks, we'll be here for a quite a while. I doubt that many of you want to spend your summers on hockey debates when the golf season is in its prime. So please, make every effort to speed this up Reeder and ThorntonisTHEMAN.

For the record, this is the ''official'' rule on timing as per my first post.

Guidelines: Members will have one week to reply with their posts during their debate. The debate isn't an essay, something we can all, especially myself, learn from last time. It's a post.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 01/27/2009 : 14:14:18
I have a bigger concern....Alex paired me up with a user named Lunchbox, which as my handle clearly illustrates, could be a distraction, especially if said lunchbox has fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches inside.....yeah.....thank you, thank you very much.
hanley6 Posted - 01/27/2009 : 13:46:43
actually Alex gave us 1 week for both contestants to record there three posts, its getting close and Reeder hasn't made a post on the debate in 5 days now
Beans15 Posted - 01/27/2009 : 07:13:19
What is the rush??? The season still has 2 1/2 months, plus playoffs.

All this pressure is not really required. There was not limit put on how long a post should take. Above this, if someone wants to do a good job, a little research is needed, which might take time.

C'mon guys, relax!
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 01/27/2009 : 05:53:19
I won't be able to past any debates this weekend so I would really like to have my final debate post posted by thursday if possible, Reeder.
Avalanche_17 Posted - 01/27/2009 : 05:10:02
Ya, I agree too. About 2 or 3 so it doesn't get too crazy.
hanley6 Posted - 01/26/2009 : 20:07:19
quote:
Originally posted by DangleFest89

just an idea since this is single elimination format why not have more than 1 topic going on at a time since alot of people are busy with school and work

i agree
DangleFest89 Posted - 01/26/2009 : 19:55:41
just an idea since this is single elimination format why not have more than 1 topic going on at a time since alot of people are busy with school and work
hanley6 Posted - 01/26/2009 : 19:17:41
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

there is some major lagging going on Reeder17 made his first statement a couple days ago with no reply. It should almost be done by now. This could take forever by this rate

Easy there Hanley. I'll have my reply up tomorrow! Some of us actually have a life other than the internet.

it shouldn't take this long to get your point across, you both have 2 more posts each and none of you have wrote anything for a couple days, why did you join if you aren't going to do anything? Even Alex wrote a comment asking your two to get this moving along...
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 01/23/2009 : 20:39:11
quote:

there is some major lagging going on Reeder17 made his first statement a couple days ago with no reply. It should almost be done by now. This could take forever by this rate

Easy there Hanley. I'll have my reply up tomorrow! Some of us actually have a life other than the internet.
hanley6 Posted - 01/23/2009 : 18:34:51
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

quote:

You really need to calm down buddy. It was posted yesterday or a day before that. Sorry but most people arent on the computer as much as a fiend like yourself. Its obvious you wont be putting much effort into your debates.

i see, goodluck to you too
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 01/23/2009 : 18:20:52
quote:

You really need to calm down buddy. It was posted yesterday or a day before that. Sorry but most people arent on the computer as much as a fiend like yourself. Its obvious you wont be putting much effort into your debates.
hanley6 Posted - 01/23/2009 : 16:05:30
DangleFest89 Posted - 01/22/2009 : 13:48:16
too lazy to argue all i can say is defence win championships

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page