Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Great Debate Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  14:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There aren't that many people around that would remember the hype that surrounded this game the last time we played it, but I thought it would be worth it to introduce it to a ''new generation'' of forum members.

Rules
Players: 16 / 8 depending on turnout

Objective: Win hockey debates and move on

Format: We will make a bracket randomly, where each member is paired up with another. Once it is your turn, a hockey topic (ex. Instigator Penalty) will be thrown out. Taking turns, the players get 3 posts each to debate their side and give a rebuttal to any points their opponent makes.

Advancing: Once the debate is over, each member votes. This isn't ''which side I like better'' or ''which member I like better'' - it's ''which member debated his side better.'' The winner moves on to another debate on another topic.

Guidelines: Members will have one week to reply with their posts during their debate. The debate isn't an essay, something we can all, especially myself, learn from last time. It's a post.

And now, without further ado, I cordially invite all Great Debater hopefuls to sign-up for some of the most fun there is to be had on the web!

P.S. It was LRP's idea, so you can all - and should all - thank him!

Players
1. Alex
2. LeafsRockPlanet
3. MrD
4. Reeder17
5. ThorntonisTHEMAN
6. Beans15
7. fat_elvis_rocked
8. Avalanche_17
9. leafsfan_101
10. Chriso88
11. hanley6
12. Porkchop73
13. Lunchbox
14. Bigcat
15. Guest6255
16. DangleFest89

Edited by - Alex on 01/20/2009 14:25:59

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  14:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a bibliography should be included in mentioning where this brilliant idea came from.

HAHA im in.
Go to Top of Page

MrD
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  15:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an awesome idea there LRT!!! I wasn't around for the last one, but I'd love to have at 'er if you're ok with a PUH rookie taking part.

Milbury and McGuire should fight to the death and both lose.
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  15:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to take part in this! Sign me up!

Crosby is not the Jesus Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  16:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, I remember the last one! I didn't take part but I enjoyed reading them. I'm in this time.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  16:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea and I would be in as well.

If I can offer a suggestion, I would put a limit on the number of words. I think last time around, it lost steam because some of the posts were so damn long.

Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  08:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it would be a great idea....include me if you need players please....thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Avalanche_17
Top Prospect

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  13:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to be a part of this. Also, I agree with Beans, some people write a little too much to try to prove their point
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  13:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After defeating Alex in the previous debate, how could the former (self proclaimed :P) champion of The Great Debate not take part in the new one.

Count me in to win :)
Go to Top of Page

Chriso88
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  14:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea this seems like a good game... I am in!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  12:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK guys so here's the story. I'm sure all who signed up want to get started as quick as possible, as do I. However, you can't do a bracket-style, single knockout tournament with 10 guys. We need 6 more.

So, spread the word! If you haven't yet signed up, what are you waiting for?

As for the debate topics, I have come up with a list of 15 with about 5 ''backup topics''. Here's the list, let me know what you think.

Debate Topics
1) Gretzky vs. _____ (fill in the blank)
2) Instigator penalty
3) Fighting in hockey
4) NHLers in Olympics
5) Fan voting in All Star Game
6) 3 point games
7) Rental player concept
8) Brodeur vs. Roy
9) Mandatory visors
10) Too many NHL teams?
11) Betuzzi incident – adequate punishment?
12) 2nd Toronto team
13) Continuos OT in playoffs
14) Crosby vs. Ovechkin
15) Puck-over-the-glass penalty

Edited by - Alex on 01/17/2009 15:43:55
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  16:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just want to throw it out there.

Not sure if its only me but when it comes to the history topics, im definetely not knowledgeable enugh to compete with some of the older guys like Beans.

EDIT: DEFINETELY NOT KNOWLEDGABLE

Edited by - Leafs Rock Planet on 01/16/2009 17:09:40
Go to Top of Page

Avalanche_17
Top Prospect

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  17:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like all the topics except the mandatory visors. I just find that topic hard to get in depth about. I don't know if other people find it easier though? And also I think we should keep the history. It will stretch people's knowledge a bit and those topics will be interesting. It just requires some more research for the people debating it.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  15:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LRP, saw your point and removed the 70s Habs vs 80s Oilers topic since not many people could do justice to that one, nor would it be fair. I have, however, left in the Brodeur / Roy and Gretzy / fill-in-the-blank debate since most people have strong opinions one way or the other on these ones. I added the debate over whether Toronto deserves a second NHL team, a more contemporary, relevant and open debate I would think.

Avalanche_17, I left in the mandatory visors debate for now since it has been a hot button issue for a while. If enough people are opposed to it, I will replace it.

For the record, I am using a random number generator to decide the tournament brackets and who gets what debate. Guys, please sign-up! We need 6 more, or else we'll be forced to put two guys on the waiting list and proceed with 8, which I'm sure nobody wants.

Go Habs Go!
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  17:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

LRP, saw your point and removed the 70s Habs vs 80s Oilers topic since not many people could do justice to that one, nor would it be fair. I have, however, left in the Brodeur / Roy and Gretzy / fill-in-the-blank debate since most people have strong opinions one way or the other on these ones. I added the debate over whether Toronto deserves a second NHL team, a more contemporary, relevant and open debate I would think.

Avalanche_17, I left in the mandatory visors debate for now since it has been a hot button issue for a while. If enough people are opposed to it, I will replace it.

For the record, I am using a random number generator to decide the tournament brackets and who gets what debate. Guys, please sign-up! We need 6 more, or else we'll be forced to put two guys on the waiting list and proceed with 8, which I'm sure nobody wants.

Go Habs Go!

Give me until at least Monday night. I'm not at school on weekends and I know I can convince a couple of my buds to sign up.

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  17:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'd join if it's not too late
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  04:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright Alex I would be game for this, I tend to get carried away with my comments but it should be fun.

Edited by - Porkchop73 on 01/18/2009 04:33:00
Go to Top of Page

Lunchbox
Top Prospect

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  04:31:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in if there's still room.
Go to Top of Page

Bigcat
Top Prospect

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  16:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll join, if no one minds.

Hull has never scored from inside the crease.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6255
( )

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  18:35:48  Reply with Quote
I would very much enjoy getting in on this action.
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  19:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll join the topic if I can argue with someone that thinks MacT is a good coach haha
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  07:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there going to be a limit on how much you can write?

Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  14:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have officially gathered 16 members, so give yourselves a pat on the backs.

I would like to post an image of the tournament bracket, but unfortunately, that tool (inserting images) has been removed. Admin, can you help me out with this one? I spent a fair amount of time putting it together.

In any case, I will be opening a new thread for our first debate. All questions / comments about the game itself will go in this thread. All debates and subsequent voting will take place in the debate's respective thread.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, and it is VERY important.

Post sizes
PLEASE, try to limit yourself to ~500 words. If one guy posts 1000 words, the other will naturally try to outdo him, and the result is that we will never get through this. You can get your idea down in 500 words. For the record, my blogs are almost always under 500 words and they get the message across (and I throw in a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with it.)

People also get annoyed when you ramble on and will stop reading. I learned that last time. It's in your best interest, our best interest, and the game's best interest to go for about 500. Please keep that in mind.

Edited by - Alex on 01/20/2009 15:19:24
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  16:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Alex.... just a bit of clarification for slow little me. We have 3 posts and thats it. Right? And do all members vote or just the 16 in The Great Debate?

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  17:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, can I just ask that whatever debate I will be invololved could be started in about maybe a week due to exams i have coming up this next week.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  19:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ThorntonisTHEMAN: Slow little you is correct. Three posts each, and only the 16 in the Great Debate vote.

LeafsRockPlanet: Your debate was actually scheduled last for this round (ie. eighth.) It would seem to me that waiting until then would prove to be less of a conflict than going at the end of the current debate, which would end around the middle of next week. But you can see how it goes and, if your opponent doesn't mind and you'd rather do it right away, than that's fine with me.

Edited by - Alex on 01/20/2009 19:21:34
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  13:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in who my opponent is. Alex, mind posting our matchups and when we are slated to go?

Don't tell us our debate topic, however. No need for the last debate to have more preperation time then the one currently going on.

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  13:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would very much have liked to post the image I prepared but in the mean time you guys deserve to know what the schedule looks like, so as per leafsfan_101's request, here are the match-ups, in descending order of when they will be taking place.

Reeder_17 vs ThorntonisTHEMAN
Chriso88 vs leafsfan_101
Guest6255 vs Alex
Lunchbox vs. fat_elvis_rocked
Porkchop73 vs DangleFest89
Avalanche_17 vs hanley6
Beans15 vs MrD
LeafsRockPlanet vs Bigcat

Again, the order of who you debate, what you debate, and when you debate was all done with a random number generator. Good luck to all!

''Yes we can!'' -Obama

Edited by - Alex on 01/21/2009 13:15:15
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  19:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn.

I so wanted the guy who wanted to argue MacT's coaching. Especially after winning 5 of the last 6 games without having a single player in the top 30 in the league scoring or having a single player with even 15 goals. Also, having a better record than the team with the two league leading scorers.

That would have been as good as a bye in the first round!

Good Luck MrD, hope we get a good topic. I'm in the hurtin kind a mood lately.
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  20:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cause one player makes a team wooooo, thats why kovalchuk always leads the thrashers to the playoffs every year bahahah, anyday beans would have been an easy bye your right

Edited by - DangleFest89 on 01/21/2009 21:02:04
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  06:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DangleFest89

cause one player makes a team wooooo, thats why kovalchuk always leads the thrashers to the playoffs every year bahahah, anyday beans would have been an easy bye your right

I think you missed the point. What I am saying is that most playoff teams have more than one player in the Top 30 offensively. The Oilers have zero. Something to be said about winning 3 of the last 4, 5 of the last 6, and 10 of the last 15. Most of that was also without their best player.

Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  13:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
too lazy to argue all i can say is defence win championships
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  16:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is some major lagging going on Reeder17 made his first statement a couple days ago with no reply. It should almost be done by now. This could take forever by this rate
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  18:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

there is some major lagging going on Reeder17 made his first statement a couple days ago with no reply. It should almost be done by now. This could take forever by this rate

You really need to calm down buddy. It was posted yesterday or a day before that. Sorry but most people arent on the computer as much as a fiend like yourself. Its obvious you wont be putting much effort into your debates.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  18:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

quote:

You really need to calm down buddy. It was posted yesterday or a day before that. Sorry but most people arent on the computer as much as a fiend like yourself. Its obvious you wont be putting much effort into your debates.

i see, goodluck to you too
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  20:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Easy there Hanley. I'll have my reply up tomorrow! Some of us actually have a life other than the internet.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  19:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

quote:

Easy there Hanley. I'll have my reply up tomorrow! Some of us actually have a life other than the internet.

it shouldn't take this long to get your point across, you both have 2 more posts each and none of you have wrote anything for a couple days, why did you join if you aren't going to do anything? Even Alex wrote a comment asking your two to get this moving along...

Edited by - hanley6 on 01/26/2009 19:18:12
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  19:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just an idea since this is single elimination format why not have more than 1 topic going on at a time since alot of people are busy with school and work
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  20:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DangleFest89

just an idea since this is single elimination format why not have more than 1 topic going on at a time since alot of people are busy with school and work

i agree

Edited by - hanley6 on 01/26/2009 20:11:08
Go to Top of Page

Avalanche_17
Top Prospect

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  05:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, I agree too. About 2 or 3 so it doesn't get too crazy.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  05:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't be able to past any debates this weekend so I would really like to have my final debate post posted by thursday if possible, Reeder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page