Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Sidney Crosby Trade Value(Hypothetical) Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bozonator
Top Prospect

57 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  23:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, so it was brought up by a guest, what would be the value of Crosby in a trade.

So here the hypothetical situation:

Much like the Tampa Lightning last year had to trade Brad Richards because of financial issues. Pressing close the the cap, the Pittsburgh Penguins have found themselves in a very similar situation. They cannot afford to keep their big guns anymore and must trade one. In this case Sidney Crosby. What would the Penguins be able to get in return?

This isn't whether he will get traded or not. Or who would need to get traded.

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  06:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm . . . are you saying that it was a bit suspicious that Crosby sat out an extra couple of days right before the trade deadline?!?

Seriously though, I have actually thought about this, and it would have to be some Eric Lindros type deal really, something of that magnitude. After googling it up to get the details of that trade, I was a bit shocked, as I had forgotton all the details:

Quebec Nordiques (later Colorado Avalanche) got:
Peter Forsberg, as well as Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, a 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994, and $15,000,000 cash.
Philly got: Eric Lindros

Wow, what a deal for Quebec/Colorado that was . . . and it wasn't too bad for Philly either, though it did work out to be the worse half of the deal, in the end. So, looking at the players involved, I can't imagine that amount of players (or cash!) being exchanged these days, but we're looking at serious value:

1. At least one 1st line forward, presumably a center that is effectively replaced by Crosby.
2. At least two, maybe three '2nd tier' players - older starting goalies, solid defencemen, 2nd line forwards.
3. A couple of role players and/or draft picks. Either one first round pick, or maybe a couple 2nd rounders.

My thinking here is that general managers are past the Lindros days, and have learned from it. As well, the whole market has changed, and money is tight . . . and the way it is now, everyone places much more importance on saving draft picks. This all diminishes the value you'd get in return for an A+ star like Crosby.

Some potential deals, assuming that the team would get Crosby straight up from the Penguins:

Los Angeles: Kopitar, O'Sullivan, Greene (D), LaBarbera (G), 2nd round pick.

Anaheim: Morrison, Pronger, Parros, 1st and 2nd round pick.

Edmonton (this is my fave): Horcoff, Cole, Moreau, two 2nd round picks, one 3rd round pick.

NY Rangers: Drury, Dubinsky, Callahan, Voros, 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder (not sure if the NYR have a 1st rounder though, lol)

Any takers?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest9289
( )

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  06:19:57  Reply with Quote
Crosby for St-Louis, Prospal, and Malone
Go to Top of Page

Guest9838
( )

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  07:13:29  Reply with Quote
Seeing how I was the "guest" who threw the notion out there I'll put in my two cents... I think blockbusters of the Eric Lindros magnitude would be incredibly tough in the salary cap world, but definately a big trade could be made.

I'm going to go back to Colorado for my hypothetical trade:

To Colorado:
Crosby - $8.7 cap
2nd round pick '09

To Pittsburgh:
Stastny - $6.6 cap
Svatos - $2.2 cap
Cumiskey - $0.5 cap
1st round '09
2nd round '10

First of all I guess this wouldn't work if Pitts is just trying to salary dump, that being said here's my logic:

Colorado is now bottom of the barrel and who better to build your team around then Crosby. Giving up a to 20 forward (league) in Stastny would be tough, but they're getting back arguably the best (or top 3) in the world. The 2nd rounder is a concession for the 2 picks they'd be giving up (especially the high 09 first rounder).

Pittsburgh gets a 1B center in Stastny, but there will be no question as to who the offensive star/leader of the team is (which was a hypothetical problem someone else mentioned), he's also 2 million less than Crosby. Svatos is only 2 million in cap room and is thrown in as a young capable forward (stastny + svatos could make up for the pts loss of Crosby). Cumiskey is a young defence prospect to sweeten the deal. The 09 1st rounder will be very high, so Pittsburgh gets instant return there and the 2nd rounder is again to sweeten the pot.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6165
( )

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  07:40:08  Reply with Quote
or maybe it would work out more like the thornton trade
Go to Top of Page

Guest4735
( )

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  16:13:19  Reply with Quote
Alright, well here is what I was thinking.

I think it would work out to around 5-7 players.

Here is how I see it breaking down.

2 Draft Picks maybe 3, depending on the Standings and how low the team finished. 2 first rounders or 1 first rounder and 2 2nd's.

A Top Prospect.

2-3 Proven, but still decently young players. Something around a defenseman and two forwards. The 2 forwards would have to be some decent goal scorers in order to make up for Crosby's goals and the goals he creates by his playmaking.

Go to Top of Page

Bozonator
Top Prospect

57 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  16:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be me. This time I signed in!!!! But the computer logged me out as I posted. Sorry again.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6244
( )

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  17:36:12  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I would trade Crosby for a box of Florida McDonalds Chicken Nuggets because those are rare. I hear people calling 911 stating that it is an emergency that they ran out.

To be serious though, I would trade Crosby to New Jersey for Zach Parise and a 1st round draft pick. Lets face it, Crosby is already getting these little groin injuries, what will keep him healthy in the future? The team doesn't even need him on the roster to win so he should be expendable, bring in a better role model and leader for the team because after siging that big contract he has been nothing but whining and bringing the team down with him. During the WSH vs PITS game, they shouldve let Crosby and Ovechkin go at it, it wouldve made highlights which he doesnt make now. After stating that, Zach Parise is way better on and off the ice, plus a draft pick? New Jersey would have to be crazy, I would still go back to trading him for a box of chicken McNuggets, not the 20 pack or 10 pack, but for the 6 pack lol.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6244
( )

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  19:58:23  Reply with Quote
lol, so funny
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  05:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there was an aon sportsnet something like trades that won't happen but would be fun, i think it was something like Crosby for Nash and a first round pick.. i mean if they are getting a quality superstar like nash in return i cant see them getting much more than a role player and a first round pick even that is extrem i think, one player tying up that much cap doesn't win you the cup

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  07:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090303/koddities/oddity_mcnuggets911

Just in case anyone doubted the McNugget thing, I know I did.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  07:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll name 2 possible trades:

The first being, 2-3 first round picks, maybe 2 1st's and a 2nd like someone mentioned above. 1-2 first line players, and a proven 2nd line player.

The second being, 1 superstar, 1 other roster player, 2 prospects and a 1st rounder.

I think it would be along those lines, the only way they would trade him would be to get better, they wouldn't trade him for the same value they would have to get something extra in return.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  00:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I guess if I am Pittsburgh, and needing to drop cap space (Crosby having to be included for whatever reason,)

It'd try something like: (Salaries are 09/10)

To WSH::
Crosby (9.0 Mil)
Gonchar (5.5 Mil)

To PIT:
Green (5.0 Mil)
Semin (5.0 Mil)
2nd RD Pick 2010

Both teams are getting excellent players, yet PIT are saving on the cap, dropping an older Offensive D-man for a younger one and a draft pick for building.

While Washington are gaining an excellent play maker for the top sniper in the league. WSH will be opening up cap space by letting Fedorov go (no contract renewal.)

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  07:58:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think this last trade has value for either team. Not enough for Crosby and why would Washington ever drop Green for Gonchar???

Pipe dream

Overall, if there was ever a deal for Crosby, it would be huge. It would be Lindros/Gretzky like and we would all argue that it was either too much or not enough.

With the exception of Crosby being a bit injury proned for the past two season, the is still a top 5 player in the league and the kid is only 22 years old. The fact of the matter is that most NHL players do not hit their prime until they are around 27 and that lasts until around 34. Crosby is still improving and will continue to improve over the next few season. The even sicker thing is that Crosby has never had a coach that could actually teach him anything and make him better.

Hypothetically speaking, Crosby would garner at least 3 roster players, 2 of them being top 6 forwards or top 2 defensemen, at least 2 prospects who are likely to be top 6 forwards or top 2 defensemen, and at least 3 draft picks, 2 of them being 1st round. A player like Crosby might come along once a decade and he is a marketers dream. He more than likely has the highest trade value of any player in the NHL today.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page