Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Most Underrated hockey player today

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hanley6 Posted - 02/02/2009 : 01:35:46
I have to Jason Blake... The guy had one season where he got 40 goals now every one says he sucks because he's supposedly not performing. In the month of January alone Blakes had 16 pts in 13 games which is awesome.. Blake and Moore have been the hottest two players for Toronto a lot of people say the best of Blake has past well I say he's underrated.

another one would be Shane Doan
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest9544 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 14:54:30
Sidney Crosby
DangleFest89 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 16:37:36
Denis Grebeshkov hate to see when the Oil gotta let this guy go
Guest9847 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 13:47:04
Souray
Guest9847 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 13:35:00
i would say patrick kane or patrick marleu
Guest0784 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 12:40:42
i'd have to say loui eriksson or brad boyes
Beans15 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 11:30:37
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9278

Beans15.... either you are a habs hater or you are very stupid. seriously
ur list:
Neidermayer, Pronger, Weber, Boyle, Blake, Wideman, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Chara, Vishnovsky, Keith, Campbell, Chara.

Neidermayer, pronger, Lidstrom, Chara, maybe keith but who knows he is still young but i like him.

The rest ARE YOU KIDDING ME? all 1 way defensemen who are not reliable in thr own end expect weber but he is not as talented 2 way as markov. WIDEMAN? HAHAHAHAHAHA what a joke
Vishnovsky? U SERIOUS.... The due get put points but cmon seriously are you high? Campbell? Maybe but markov has more points this year with a less scoring team AND i can say with 100% that markov is more reliable in his own end so where does ur argument come from pls i want to know.
Rafalski is good but old.... in his prime i would put him along with markov equally but better than him .... maybe its a debate but its hard to say. Rafalski is a hall of famer cause he played with stevens and neidermayer and he won cups like every year. personnaly i find he is abit overrated but that is just me and i could be wrong.
Seriously get ur facts right and prove to me that these guys are better

If you will be so kind as to re-read my post, I clearly said that I can not say that Markov is clearly better than any of the guys I listed. I did not say that Markov is better or worse, just in the same league.

My arguement is to say that Markov is a top 5 defensemen in the league. That, he is not. Top 10-15, sure. Part of the Elite group definately, but so are all the others I listed.

And to argue Wideman and Vishnovsky is absurd to me. Watch them play. It's not all about stats. Vishnovsky is one of the smartest hockey players you will ever watch. He is very much like Lidstrom but had played on weak teams through his career.

And Wideman is also a brilliant player. Ever notice how much improved Chara has been this season playing a lot of ice with Wideman??? That's not just a conincidence.

And you say nothing about Blake or Boyle??? N o arguement there I guess??

And you are off about Rafalski. Did you ever think that the others he played with (Stevens, Neidermayer, and Lidstrom specifically) received as much benefit from Rafalski as he did from them???

And to your point of a Habs Hater. Not in the least. Behind the Oilers, Montreal has always been my next favorite team. I dig Markov. He is a tank. I just can't put him as a top 5 guy in the league. I just don't think he is.
Guest9278 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 11:07:50
How about even rod brind'amour?
The guy is a horse.... but never puts up crazy numbers. Everytime i watch him play hes almost always the one with the key goal or the key offensiv play to help his team win ... while his priority is defense first. And he plays like 25+ minutes a game everygame
BUT there is one thing i dont understand and maybe someone can explain it to me? i have not watch him play this year and i know he is OLD... past his prime and he should maybe retire.... but why does he have a +/- rating of -30? that i dont understand. and i dont know if any of you follow hurricanes hockey alot (if anyone do) but that is mind blowing.
Guest9278 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 10:41:32
Beans15.... either you are a habs hater or you are very stupid. seriously
ur list:
Neidermayer, Pronger, Weber, Boyle, Blake, Wideman, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Chara, Vishnovsky, Keith, Campbell, Chara.

Neidermayer, pronger, Lidstrom, Chara, maybe keith but who knows he is still young but i like him.

The rest ARE YOU KIDDING ME? all 1 way defensemen who are not reliable in thr own end expect weber but he is not as talented 2 way as markov. WIDEMAN? HAHAHAHAHAHA what a joke
Vishnovsky? U SERIOUS.... The due get put points but cmon seriously are you high? Campbell? Maybe but markov has more points this year with a less scoring team AND i can say with 100% that markov is more reliable in his own end so where does ur argument come from pls i want to know.
Rafalski is good but old.... in his prime i would put him along with markov equally but better than him .... maybe its a debate but its hard to say. Rafalski is a hall of famer cause he played with stevens and neidermayer and he won cups like every year. personnaly i find he is abit overrated but that is just me and i could be wrong.
Seriously get ur facts right and prove to me that these guys are better
Guest7401 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 09:08:42
Wideman better than Markov... that's a big joke
Odin Posted - 02/09/2009 : 06:09:16
quote:

easy....
Andrei Markov..
He is up there with the top 4-5 defensemen in the league... (maybe even better but he lacks the size but makes it up for speed)
he has the best vision in the game today for a defensemen.
Everyone knows he is good, but not super good like this. I bet u almost everyone would name there top 5 defensemen in the league and not name him which is foolish. Most point producing defensemen lack in thr own end of some sort... like souray, green, etc... But markov is very good both ends and has atleast 40 points the last 5 season.
He is at 40 now with about 30 games remaining.
Yes mike green is an offensive recking machine but is he reliable like markov HELL NO and markov and komisarek form the the top 3 defense pair in the league.

I kind of agree with this. I say kind of, because Markov does get some due. But Beans response reinforces this. Markov is #2 among defence in points and is solid in his own end. Perhaps if he didn't take care of his own end he would have a lot more points, which is what quite a few people on this site seem to think is the defining issue wgen discussing the best. He is among the best of two-way defencemen in the league.

But here is a suggestion of somebody that is also a huge shadow, besides Malkin. What about Alex Semin? Before he was injured, he was leading the league in points, and by a fair margin. Yet nobody seems to talk about him all that much.
hanley6 Posted - 02/08/2009 : 12:00:43
my top 10 underrated players picks

Jason Blake
Shane Doan
Mike Smith
Dany Sabourin
Todd White
Boyd Devereaux
Mike Green
Mike Cammalleri
Mikko Koivu
Mike Richards
hockster Posted - 02/07/2009 : 13:42:00
I gotta go with Savard and Shane Doan

I don't bring the controversey it comes to me.

Iginla for 2010 team captain!!!
Beans15 Posted - 02/07/2009 : 08:41:12
Good point Willus. You gotta like a guy who is not only leading the league defensemen in scoring but is also in the top 10 in the league in +/_. Even more impressive is that he is top 10 +/- on a team that is 18th in the league in goals against.

Considering the fella who was saying Markov is a stand out over Green. Green has more points and a double +/- (and Montreal and Washington are nearly identical in goals allowed/game. (Montreal is actually better)

The Green kid is a stud. However, I wouldn't say he is under-rated. He gets the credit he deserves.
willus3 Posted - 02/07/2009 : 07:27:18
Someone mentioned Mike Green and I think that's a good choice as well. You hear people say he's terrible defensively but in reality he is probably average defensively while being head and shoulders above any other defenceman offensively.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/06/2009 : 19:31:10
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4803

Malkin - hes defiently not overrated or deeply underrated but this guy leads the league and how often do you see a piece about him its always crosby and the pens, i dont know if its the fact he cant speak english all to well but this guy is at the moment the top or at least 2nd best player in the nhl behind ovie, yet he doesnt get the full credit he actually deserves.

I strongly disagree with this. As much as I dislike Crosby, I dislike Malkin even more. He is extremely gifted offensively but he is terrible in his own end and often looks like he doesn't care. Crosby IS the better player.
Guest4803 Posted - 02/06/2009 : 16:25:15
Mike Green - leads the league in goals for defenseman over that last 2 years and most people wouldnt put him on team canadas 2010 roster.(or the nhl all star roster)

Malkin - hes defiently not overrated or deeply underrated but this guy leads the league and how often do you see a piece about him its always crosby and the pens, i dont know if its the fact he cant speak english all to well but this guy is at the moment the top or at least 2nd best player in the nhl behind ovie, yet he doesnt get the full credit he actually deserves.
Guest2686 Posted - 02/06/2009 : 16:13:29
1. Paul Statsny
2. Zach Parise
3. Mikko Koivu
4. Ryan Getslaf
5. Niklas Backstrom (Was)
6. Mike Cammeleri
Beans15 Posted - 02/06/2009 : 14:55:09
quote:

easy....
Andrei Markov..
He is up there with the top 4-5 defensemen in the league... (maybe even better but he lacks the size but makes it up for speed)
Everyone knows he is good, but not super good like this. I bet u almost everyone would name there top 5 defensemen in the league and not name him which is foolish. Most point producing defensemen lack in thr own end of some sort... like souray, green, etc... But markov is very good both ends and has atleast 40 points the last 5 season.
Yes mike green is an offensive recking machine but is he reliable like markov HELL NO and markov and komisarek form the the top 3 defense pair in the league.

There is a list of 13 defensemen that I can not honestly say that Markov is better than all of.

I put Markov high, but not in the top 5.
Guest9278 Posted - 02/06/2009 : 10:25:14
easy....
Andrei Markov..
Odin Posted - 02/06/2009 : 08:28:40
quote:
Originally posted by CaliforniaSeal

quote:
Originally posted by Odin

Guys, everybody and their brother here is saying Savard. Doesn't that by default exclude him? Yes that was the case at one point when he was in Atlanta, but he has been in Boston now for a couple of years now, and anybody that follows hockey to any extent knows what this guy brings to the table. We have been drafting him in our pool now for over 5 years. With the constant plugs he gets from Cherry to discussions like this one here, he is constantly being talked about as underrated. It has become an urban legend.

He still doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He has been in the top 10 of scoring 3 of the last 4 years and yet every pool I have been apart of he goes in later rounds. This year looks like he may end up being in the top 10 again but I bet in most pools he wasn't in the top 10 picks. This guy is one of the top 20 players in the league.

No cup for Dino, what a shame

Well then, why haven't you grabbed him? He has been a first rounder in our pool for the last two years. I just think that, because EVERYBODY these days is mentioning him, that it is no longer the case that nobody knows who Savard is. Anybody, that follows hockey, I talk to knows who he is. He was in the ASG. He is getting recongnition as one of the best, if not the best setup man in the league.
n/a Posted - 02/06/2009 : 05:18:54
Again, I have to say - Duncan Keith doesn't make it into consideration for me, because this is just the season after his breakout season (he would have been considered average talent his first two, and that was probably warranted). I say, if Keith STILL doesn't get his due recognition next year, then yeah - underrated.

Public opinion always lags behind results.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest4220 Posted - 02/05/2009 : 20:51:57
Duncan Keith, no question, is the most under-rated player in the league. His defence partner, Brent Seabrook, is under-rated too, but not as valuable as Keith.
Other names that I did not see mentioned include Ryan Kesler, Andrew Ladd, John Madden, Dave Bolland, Rene Bourque & Shea Weber.
Savitar Posted - 02/05/2009 : 17:37:56
Underrated? I disagree on Blake, but I love me some Shane Doan!

Top 5 underrated ( as it seems to be the popular thing to do)

1. Duncan Keith
2. Zach Parise
3. Martin Havlat
4. Shane Doan
5. Corey Perry

Nice to see Doan get the All-Star nod this year too.

"I call the big one Bitey"
Guest5745 Posted - 02/05/2009 : 11:21:09
Zach Parise is the most underrated player by far...he's on fire this year...Go Devils Go !!!!!! :)
Guest7913 Posted - 02/05/2009 : 07:41:02
I'm going to have to say Ales Hemsky. Everyone knows he has mad skillz but he is never on the top of the leaderboard because of the lousy teammates he has. If Edmonton could pick up another all-star, you would see a lot more of Hemsky. Gretzky has said that the one player right now that reminds him of himself is Hemsky and Jagr demanded to play on the same line as Hemsky in the Olympics (or maybe it was World Cup??).

In the next couple of years I think Hemsky will be a lot more talked about player.
Guest4170 Posted - 02/05/2009 : 05:43:51
Mason won't be considered underrated when he wins the Calder trophy this season. Next year come this time and he's not playing well he'll be considered overrated.
Remember Jim Carey?

(ADMIN EDIT - LINK REMOVED - SPAM)

n/a Posted - 02/05/2009 : 04:55:39
My 2 cents on underrated players:

1. Has to be an established player, someone who has played for a while, or at the very least maintained their current pace somewhat. So, I would exclude players in their first few years, and players having that one break-out season. So, for players like Wideman for instance, he'd have to perform somewhat similarly to this year for another two years or so AND STILL not get the attention he deserves, to be considered truly underrated.

2. Secondly, to the posters who say I picked household names in choosing St.Louis, Elias and Datsyuk - well, to me, as stated previously, they are the BEST of the underrateds. My point in choosing them is that it's not worth my time noting some fourth line plugger who is underrated, because his value is so low that there is hardly any difference between perception and value. But with top line talents, the disparity can be huge.

Yes, arguments can be made for Datsyuk and Savard as being recognised, that they are not underrated . . . but in my mind, with the hockey people I talk with, and with the media coverage - that is my perception. So, it is hard to judge, everyone has a different perception of who they think is great.

Very good players on bad teams often get overlooked in general (unless you are far and away the only superstar, like Kovalchuk), and very good players on great teams often get overlooked because they are surrounded by lots of other good players.

Maybe Datsyuk gets talked about as one of the perrenial top 8 players in the league, maybe not . . . but my perception is that he is consistently rated lower than he should be. And, it's not a coincidence that many of the europeans are underrated, as the north american bias clearly shows through our north american media.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest6030 Posted - 02/05/2009 : 04:47:08
Well then the question should be rephrased to most underrated player with over 1 year of experience in the NHL.
Guest2809 Posted - 02/05/2009 : 04:13:45
dennis wideman, underrated
CaliforniaSeal Posted - 02/04/2009 : 23:19:19
quote:
Originally posted by Odin

Guys, everybody and their brother here is saying Savard. Doesn't that by default exclude him? Yes that was the case at one point when he was in Atlanta, but he has been in Boston now for a couple of years now, and anybody that follows hockey to any extent knows what this guy brings to the table. We have been drafting him in our pool now for over 5 years. With the constant plugs he gets from Cherry to discussions like this one here, he is constantly being talked about as underrated. It has become an urban legend.

He still doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He has been in the top 10 of scoring 3 of the last 4 years and yet every pool I have been apart of he goes in later rounds. This year looks like he may end up being in the top 10 again but I bet in most pools he wasn't in the top 10 picks. This guy is one of the top 20 players in the league.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Guest7645 Posted - 02/04/2009 : 22:19:49
Steve Mason can't be underrated..he's new so isnt' really rated.
To me, underrated is like those ppl u don't know much about or hear about, but is a solid contributor not just points-wise..but in plus/minus or hits etc etc. An under rted performer over achiever.

Parise is expected to produce so he's living to his billings, as is Savard and Doan.
I can't really pin a single name to who's the MOST underrated...
I think Dennis Wideman is probably one of them.....

my 2 bits...
Guest6030 Posted - 02/04/2009 : 18:11:43
Zach Parise and Jeff Carter...for goalies, I would chose Steve Mason from Columbus.
irvine Posted - 02/04/2009 : 16:52:30
I would have to say Zdeno Chara is a bit underrated. You hear little about him, but he's a solid Defensman in the league. Top 5 in my opinion.

Irvine
Odin Posted - 02/04/2009 : 10:21:00
Guest9838 Posted - 02/04/2009 : 10:19:43
Steit!!! how could I forget Streit, there you go... underrated.
Odin Posted - 02/04/2009 : 10:12:36
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9544

you are an idiot hanley16 if you think Blake is under rated, he is a nothing a never was and a never will be, you want to talk about under rated players you need to get your facts streit

A under rated player would be more like Scottie Upsahll from Philadelphia he is under rated he has lots of skill but never really gets the attention he deserves because of the team he plays for

HMMMM! And here I thought he was going to say Mark Streit is underrated. I thought that was going to be a play on words. I guess I gave too much credit.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 02/04/2009 : 08:42:26
Robyn Regher, he is a rock and no one outside of Calgary seems to recognize it.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Mikey Boy Posted - 02/04/2009 : 08:22:52
top 5 underated players 1. Marc Savard
2. Mike Cammalleri
3. Shane Doan
4. Patrik Elias
5. Brad Boyes

MP
Guest9645 Posted - 02/04/2009 : 08:09:56
MARC SAVARD NO QUESTION!
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/04/2009 : 07:39:23
I believe that Jay Boeuwmeester is one of the most underrated defenceman in the game today. The only reason he is being talked about this year is cuz his contract is running out. The man does everything; PK, PP, solid offence and solid defence. AND he does it while playing almost 30 minutes a night!
You don't believe that he is underrated? Look at the Canada's Roster 2010 forum. The majority of posters there forgot to include him on their roster or had him as a reserve player! Jay Boewmeester is one of the top defencemen in the NHL and people will be able to see that once he gets out of Florida!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page