Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Rivalry between the Leafs and the Habs

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hanley6 Posted - 02/07/2009 : 18:10:05
Toronto and Montreal used to be a very great rivalry to watch, lots of goals both ways, lots of big clean hits and best of all lots and lots of fights... But now Montreal resorts to dirty hits from behind, head hunting and and high sticks to peoples faces... it's sickening. The fight between Brad May and Georges Laraque was a great fight very entertaining and a great moral boast for Toronto. But Laraque is the only guy that can fight on Montreal, the rest of Montreal's players are a bunch of dirty twigs and I hope Sergei Kostitsyn, Saku Koivu, Francis Bouillon, Max Pacioretty like the dirty cheap shot artists they are get what they deserve, I'd love to see them all get there faces bashed in from a good clean fight... Last game between Montreal and Toronto sure Montreal won the game but they were also playing dirty, It was great to see Toronto kick their butts in fights and I'd like to see a lot more... I hope Montreal smartens up stops playing dirty, play some hockey and have some good old clean hockey fights.

GO LEAFS!!!
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Porkchop73 Posted - 02/16/2009 : 04:54:05
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Hanley, if you are going to quote me, please quote me accurately. I never said that defensemen are stupid for playing the puck. You don't have to have played contact hockey to know that part of the job of a defensemen in to play the puck.

What I said is the players that do not get hurt all play the puck the same way while those who get hurt often (Van Ryn for example) play the puck the wrong way. Playing a dumped in puck with your shoulders parallel to the boards is stupid. Playing the puck with your shoulders perpendicular to the boards is smart.

I would agree that it is the better way to play, not smarter. Perpendicular to the boards lets the body absorb more of the hit when you can't be against the boards. Obviously if you can get against the boards before the hit it is the smartest way to make the play. That way the boards absorb the hit. You still cannot stop the injuries when that checker is intent on making the hit no matter which way the defenceman plays it. It is just a part of the game that players need to respect one another a little more, maybe by letting up on the ferocity of the check. You do not need to put the guy through the boards as much as you just need to knock him of the puck.
And to Hanley6, you certainly do not have to had played any hockey to understand this game. You should read some of Beans15 posts before making a bullS*&t statement like that. Sorry for the offensive language.
Anyways this thread has gotten way away from the Leafs/Habs rivalry.
Beans15 Posted - 02/15/2009 : 07:34:15
Hanley, if you are going to quote me, please quote me accurately. I never said that defensemen are stupid for playing the puck. You don't have to have played contact hockey to know that part of the job of a defensemen in to play the puck.

What I said is the players that do not get hurt all play the puck the same way while those who get hurt often (Van Ryn for example) play the puck the wrong way. Playing a dumped in puck with your shoulders parallel to the boards is stupid. Playing the puck with your shoulders perpendicular to the boards is smart.

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/14/2009 : 21:50:22
Van Ryn is such a bad example to use....I watched the Kotsopolous clip again and while I in no way condone the hit, watch what Van Ryn does when he plays the puck. He knows he's got pursuit, he checks the pursuit just before playing the puck. Then, he moves like he's going to push the puck behind the net and keep moving in that direction...moving being the key word here. Then, he decides to stop, back to the checker, and do what? reverse the play? draw a penalty? look for a couple weeks off the hard way?
Again, in no way do I condone the hit, but please, don't talk of whether someone has played or not, and therefore shouldn't have a opinion, look at the situation objectively.
If I was being devil's advocate in this circumstance, I would say that Kotsopolous was as surprised as anyone that Van Ryn stopped, he was commited to the check as Porkchop pointed out, Van Ryn changed the outcome by trying to make a play he shouldn't have. If Van Ryn kept moving to his left, behind the net, he probably would have gotten a good rubbing out against the boards and glass, but certainly not pile-driven like he was...
The last incident, again, I said it earlier, bad result from a very innocent physical play, to cite intent and cheapness is just bitterness instead of reason.
hanley6 Posted - 02/14/2009 : 17:23:39
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4159

quote:
Originally posted by Porkchop73

There is no right way as a defenceman to make this play when the checker has full intention to drive the player through the end of the rink. I do not care whether you get parallel or stop and face the checker you will get hit hard and there is nothing you can do. Sometimes the hits are dirty sometimes they are clean.
Please stop saying that that VanRyn or any other player is stupid for when they get driven through the boards.
I will say it only once more. If the checker wants to drill you through the end of the rink there is nothing you can do, except maybe dive to the ground.

i agree with you but if while diving he still hits you, you're still vulnerable, even more and in cas you were saying i said Bergeron is stupid when he had his concussion, i never intended to say this, neither Van Ryn,

Beans is the one who said defense are stupid... To say something like that I gather he probably doesn't or never has even played contact hockey, cause if he did he'd know while Van Ryn or any defensemen is doing their job and chasing the puck behind the net there is no safe way of doing it, like Porkchop said the behind his first intentions are to crush the guy that's what he's going to do... They need to get rid of that before someone gets hurt bad... I can see a good clean hit yes, but a dirty hit from behind, push or trip, slash, cross check that needs to go
Guest4159 Posted - 02/14/2009 : 14:29:08
quote:

There is no right way as a defenceman to make this play when the checker has full intention to drive the player through the end of the rink. I do not care whether you get parallel or stop and face the checker you will get hit hard and there is nothing you can do. Sometimes the hits are dirty sometimes they are clean.
Please stop saying that that VanRyn or any other player is stupid for when they get driven through the boards.
I will say it only once more. If the checker wants to drill you through the end of the rink there is nothing you can do, except maybe dive to the ground.

i agree with you but if while diving he still hits you, you're still vulnerable, even more and in cas you were saying i said Bergeron is stupid when he had his concussion, i never intended to say this, neither Van Ryn,
Porkchop73 Posted - 02/14/2009 : 14:02:41
Guest4159 Posted - 02/14/2009 : 08:58:47
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

Van Ryn is not a stupid defenseman he was playing the puck the way he was supposed to... Get real people

Have you ever notice that the players, specifically defensemen, who don't get hit from behind rarely if every play the puck then they are not perpedicular to the boards?? The games great (and even good) defensemen rarely if ever play a dumped in puck with their shoulders parallel to the boards. It puts them in a vulnerable position.

Van Ryn does not appear to do this. It appears he enjoys being in a vulnerable position and therefore gets injured more than he should.

exactly, Van Ryn tends to backhand the puck around the boards but keep his shoulders paralell with the boards (basicly faceing the boards only turning his head to the direction he shovels the puck) i personally have no sympathy for these guys, you know there is a forward doing his job right behind you coming hard, if instead of shovling the puck around the d man turns hard almost to circle the net as he shovels the puck around or god forbid even skates with it he will take a solid clean hit that rarely results in injury and then play continues,,, even Kostopoulos's hit in November was not that bad Van Ryn stood there admiring his pass faceing the boards when he didn;t turn like a normal skater and take a perfectly clean hit he got rammed from behind by a forward doing his job, (apply pressure forcheck hard) you see even right after the hit Kostopulos puts his glove down to Van Ryn shoulder clearly feeling bad and showing no real intent to get him from behind simply put if you suck it up and face your check m,ore often then not you dont get hurt

Pasty

I should add to this when Bergeron had is concussion last year, not this year, he was facing the board he got hit and got injured

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xAEetam6HQ
Guest4159 Posted - 02/14/2009 : 08:41:05
what about this video... if this aint a cheapshot, tell me what it is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7LElAtF4DM&feature=related
Pasty7 Posted - 02/12/2009 : 16:01:58
quote:

quote:

Van Ryn is not a stupid defenseman he was playing the puck the way he was supposed to... Get real people

Have you ever notice that the players, specifically defensemen, who don't get hit from behind rarely if every play the puck then they are not perpedicular to the boards?? The games great (and even good) defensemen rarely if ever play a dumped in puck with their shoulders parallel to the boards. It puts them in a vulnerable position.

Van Ryn does not appear to do this. It appears he enjoys being in a vulnerable position and therefore gets injured more than he should.

exactly, Van Ryn tends to backhand the puck around the boards but keep his shoulders paralell with the boards (basicly faceing the boards only turning his head to the direction he shovels the puck) i personally have no sympathy for these guys, you know there is a forward doing his job right behind you coming hard, if instead of shovling the puck around the d man turns hard almost to circle the net as he shovels the puck around or god forbid even skates with it he will take a solid clean hit that rarely results in injury and then play continues,,, even Kostopoulos's hit in November was not that bad Van Ryn stood there admiring his pass faceing the boards when he didn;t turn like a normal skater and take a perfectly clean hit he got rammed from behind by a forward doing his job, (apply pressure forcheck hard) you see even right after the hit Kostopulos puts his glove down to Van Ryn shoulder clearly feeling bad and showing no real intent to get him from behind simply put if you suck it up and face your check m,ore often then not you dont get hurt

Pasty
Beans15 Posted - 02/11/2009 : 14:25:08
quote:

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/11/2009 : 11:56:38
All sarcasm aside, I did watch the clip over and over, paused , rewound, etc.
The 'hit' , more of a shove, started before they had even reached the goal line, just off to the side of the net. Van Ryn was slightly off balance and was starting to turn behind the net, playing the puck. What's his name from Montreal merely played the body, without malice, and Van Ryn lost balance and went into the boards at an awkward angle, not headfirst, but definately awkward.

To call this a dirty hit is totally assinine and part of what the greater problem with the game is today. Call an accident an accident, and a cheap shot a cheap shot, by blurring all the lines, apparently some people can't tell the difference.

This was no cheap shot, this was one of those dangerous things that happen in a game that moves at the speed this one does, with the element of physical contact thrown in. The players know it and accept the responsibilities, perhaps some fans need to understand that and not let their emotional attatchments get in the way of intelligent analysis.
hanley6 Posted - 02/11/2009 : 10:44:41
Odin Posted - 02/11/2009 : 09:59:54
Porkchop, thank you for saving me the work. I'm done!
Odin Posted - 02/11/2009 : 09:56:01
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Odin

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Guest7266

lets all finish this with a final statement ( Montreals the better team, they played a dirty game, and the leafs smoked them. ) and theres no point in argueing because im not comming back to this post.

exactly it's nice to see someone actually paid attention to the game and agrees with me that Montreal is dirty

You can say it over and over again, that isn't going to change what actually happened. I'm not sure who you were listening to, but Millen, after showing the replay, said "hmm, perhaps they got that wrong." I paraphrase.

Hanley, you need an eye exam. It is blatantly obvious that you are a Leaf's homer, and probably whine when any leafs player is so much as touched. Go back and take a look th the replay, it was from the side. As I said, even the commentators were questioning whether it should have been a penalty. It was nowhere in the same league as Tom's hit. Not even close. Perhaps Van Ryn should learn to skate and he wouldn't have so many problems falling down.

You are quite obviously in the minority here, so let it go.

I don't know what game you are talking about because it wasn't the Leafs vs the Habs, the Commentators thought it was a dirty hit from behind and as it was and they thought he hit his head again at first but he was favoring his leg... I think you need to get your eyes checked because that was clearly from behind and his arms were up around Van Ryn's head... If you can prove it was from the side by all means prove it, but they showed the play a few times over the game and it was not from the side like you said it was, not even close

You can say it over and over again, that isn't going to change what actually happened. I'm not sure who you were listening to, but Millen, after showing the replay, said "hmm, perhaps they got that wrong." I paraphrase. His arms were up around his head? As has been suggested by many here, you need to take the bilnders off. In case you've missed it, I agree with you 100% on Kostopolous, why wouldn't I do the same with this hit? I can prove it, watch the replay. What a silly comment.

So, not only do you need an eye exam, you need to get your hearing checked as well.
Odin Posted - 02/11/2009 : 09:27:37
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9544

quote:

See? Just bittter, bitter, bitter.

Just to brush you up on a little hockey history, 1993 is a hell of alot more recent than 1967. I would also dare say that Montreal is closer now than Toronto.

Toronto would have been Montreal that year if it wasn't for Wayne Gretzky seriously high stick to Dougie Gilmour drawling blood and getting no penalty and scoring on the next play...

Toronto would have beat Montreal for the Cup and I think even you know that

Oh c'mon! Are you kidding me? Shoulda, woulda coulda?

Not for a moment do I know that Toronto would have beat Monteal. It would have been great if they met. But they didn't.

I could just as easily say that the Habs were a team of destiny that year. In no small part to the fact that Roy was on absolute fire that playoff. 10 OT wins? Down 2-0 against the Nordiques? In bad shape against the Kings until the McSorley stick debacle? Destiny my friend, destiny.
n/a Posted - 02/11/2009 : 04:37:31
Beans - AMEN to that, case closed, end of discussion!

If only to repeat your comment, I too think it is mostly the stupidity of the defencemen in question here - they turn their back thinking they can avoid a full-on hard check. In their tiny brains, it's self-preservation, all things being equal - Oh! he has to stop now, or let up, otherwise it's a penalty. Unfortunately, as Beans pointed out, you are playing a game at full speed, with intensity, and with some reckless players. This makes the move very foolhardy indeed, and only increases your chances greatly of getting a serious injury.

Unfortunately, the Leafs are chock full of defencemen who do this

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Beans15 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 22:49:34
Am I sensing a mild amount of sarcasm coming from my partner as the "Biggest Oiler Fan" on the site????If you weave your way though said sarcasm, there are some very good points.

Now, before I go further, I never seen this specific hit. The link posted no longer works. But I will still take this time to make a point. Why?? Because I feel like it.

I think the biggest point is that a defensemen against the board who turns his back towards the player coming at them will eventually get hurt. Van Ryn hasn't seem to learn that lesson yet.

Ever wonder why players like Lidstrom, Pronger, Neidermayer, Zubov, Vishnonsky, Weber, Phaneuf, Burns, (the list goes on) rarely if ever get hit from behind???

BECAUSE THEY DON'T TURN THEIR BACK TO THE PLAY AGAINST THE BOARDS!!!!!!

It ain't dirty, it's stupid. More often than not, the guy going to make the hit can't stop or change directions in time. Not every time, but most times. And the players don't have the benefit of slow motion. It's real time. It's large men moving at fast speeds on thin steel blade on ice!!!

Dirty hit and stupid defensemen in a very thin line and often perception. My perception on Van Ryn is the stupid defensemen side of that thin line.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/10/2009 : 18:38:12
Thanks for the video Porkchop, I must have watched it 10-15 times, trying to see if there was something that could be called dirty with the hit and I am perplexed.

I do know how to avoid these sort of cheap shots in the future though.

If the defenceman is playing the puck from the faceoff dots in the defensive end, back, you cannot hit him.
If the defenceman is playing the puck any where along the boards from the faceoff dots out to the boards, you cannot hit him.
If the defenceman is playing the puck with his head down, you cannot hit him.
If the defenceman is playing with the name Van Ryn anywhere on his sweater, you cannot hit him.
If any player wearing a maple leaf, or the colors blue and white(just to be safe), is anywhere in a hockey rink, near a hockey rink, or iin the vicintiy of any surface more shiny than gravel, you cannot hit him.

If there should be any sort of incidental contact within these parameters, the hockey gods, or Gary Bettman(he already figures he is one), should spontaneously combust any video, audio, fantasitical, evidence, as well as strike down with a bolt of lightning anyone attempting to speak of, such heinous acts.

There that ought to about cover it methinks...

Still not sure if that would appease certain Leaf fans, but it's a start, I'm sure they'll come up with some other affront to their greatness.
Guest4743 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 15:40:42
That hit was fine. Van Ryn gets hurt every f'n time he steps on the ice.

I apologize to the few Leaf fans who have brain but most of you are the most xxxxxxx in the world.

Moderator Edit : Please leave the personal attacks and name calling where they belong. On the ice!!!! Kidding. Let's keep it about the opinion, not about the person. Thanks
hanley6 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 15:20:49
quote:

Ok Hanley6 you made me do it.
This is the only video I can find with the Pacioretty hit on VanRyn.
I apologize to everyone for the length and all the extra stuff, well not really an apology because I will take the opportunity to rub a little salt in the wounds of Habs fans. Just trying to add to the fan rivalry

Anyways Hanley6, looks like a pretty clean hit to me.
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1766638651/bclid1755456939/bctid10424955001

that was behind, check it out again how can you say it was clean? it wasn't even a hit it was shove into the board from behind
Porkchop73 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 15:14:54
Ok Hanley6 you made me do it.
This is the only video I can find with the Pacioretty hit on VanRyn.
I apologize to everyone for the length and all the extra stuff, well not really an apology because I will take the opportunity to rub a little salt in the wounds of Habs fans. Just trying to add to the fan rivalry

Anyways Hanley6, looks like a pretty clean hit to me.
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1766638651/bclid1755456939/bctid10424955001

fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/10/2009 : 15:07:19
So you two are actually saying that the reason the Leafs didn't win the cup in 93 is because Gretzky kicked Gilmour's arse?

I can buy that.....

Now please fellas....check yourselves back into the ward...it can be dangerous out here in the real world....
hanley6 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 14:26:07
quote:

quote:

Just to brush you up on a little hockey history, 1993 is a hell of alot more recent than 1967. I would also dare say that Montreal is closer now than Toronto.

Toronto would have been Montreal that year if it wasn't for Wayne Gretzky seriously high stick to Dougie Gilmour drawling blood and getting no penalty and scoring on the next play...

wow I actually agree with you for once.. The Stanley Cup had the Leafs name all over it that year
hanley6 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 14:24:00
quote:

quote:

quote:

lets all finish this with a final statement ( Montreals the better team, they played a dirty game, and the leafs smoked them. ) and theres no point in argueing because im not comming back to this post.

exactly it's nice to see someone actually paid attention to the game and agrees with me that Montreal is dirty

Hanley, you need an eye exam. It is blatantly obvious that you are a Leaf's homer, and probably whine when any leafs player is so much as touched. Go back and take a look th the replay, it was from the side. As I said, even the commentators were questioning whether it should have been a penalty. It was nowhere in the same league as Tom's hit. Not even close. Perhaps Van Ryn should learn to skate and he wouldn't have so many problems falling down.

I don't know what game you are talking about because it wasn't the Leafs vs the Habs, the Commentators thought it was a dirty hit from behind and as it was and they thought he hit his head again at first but he was favoring his leg... I think you need to get your eyes checked because that was clearly from behind and his arms were up around Van Ryn's head... If you can prove it was from the side by all means prove it, but they showed the play a few times over the game and it was not from the side like you said it was, not even close
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 13:55:53
hahaha. Yea, I just cant help but support my team. I really don't have anything against the habs, they have such an awesome history and are quite the classy organization. The arena is always electric and the city lives and dies hockey. I respect that alot.

I think the main reason people (like myself) are so sensitive to any leaf bashing is because we don't want to see such a historic and important franchise turn into a complete joke. While im sure most of you reading this just thought to yourself (wtf, they are already a joke, and have been for years) I disagree. They are NOT a joke to the fans, and we are absolutley starving for a great hockey team to take the ice at the ACC. We felt like we were sooo close to going all the way in the early 90's and then again in 99 and 02. JFJ set the franchise back light years and it has been very difficult to accept. Sitting back and watching this team absolutley trip all over itself since the lockout has been a very difficult thing to endure. I know fans from other franchises can relate to this, but it is hard for Montreal fans to relate. Just because the management at mlse f***ed things up doesnt mean the fans are idiots. Any chance we get to point out flaws in the canadiens, we usually jump all over it. Maybe it is fickle, but honestly, its all in competitive spirits.

I wish Montreal and Toronto were the two best teams in the NHL fighting for 1st place all year long. Thats a dream I have long held. The leafs mean the world to most of their fans, and we don't like people spitting on them.

It's not all bad in leaf land, I see a light at the end of the tunnel, most do not.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/10/2009 : 13:31:44
quote:

Kids at home!!! Quick read!!! This is why your teacher always tells you to put the top back on the glue bottle......
Guest9544 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 12:42:45
quote:

Odin Posted - 02/10/2009 : 11:52:36
I was thinking the exact same thing. There is a pretty good rivalry here amongst the fans.

I can take being called a little deluded. That is sometimes what it takes to support your team. It took a little delusion to remain a Habs fan throughout the horrible mid to late 90's and early 2000's.

Especially when it seemed that Houle had downed a bottle of scotch before he made a trade.
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 02/10/2009 : 11:30:29
and they say there's no rivalry!!

Change the title of this thread to....
'The Rivalry between the Leafs and the Habs FANS', and you got yourself a brouhaha....

Personally, I've always found both Leafs AND Habs fans to be slightly deluded. One group talks of how their team is the only reason there is an NHL, because of where they are, and the other talks about the history of their team, and how THEY are the NHL.

Thank goodness there are 28 other teams to cheer for.

Odin Posted - 02/10/2009 : 11:06:12

Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 10:19:14
quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course, another bitter Leafs fan with blinders on. I don't blame you for being bitter, you won't know the joy of your team winning it all in your lifetime.

Sounds like another arrogant Habs fan. If you haven't noticed, these aren't the 1970's anymore. Montreal will not be winning the cup anytime soon, the town and the media put the players on a pedastil which is even higher than the one we put ours on here in Toronto. The players on the habs are overrated and with the current group they have, will never win anything.

If anyone is wearing blinders, its Montreal. You constantly conplain about how leaf fans think all the free agents will want to play in toronto and how we 'think' we are the centre of the universe. Well, the same applies to you guys. Your team is full of DOGS, and won't make it past the first round, if you even make the playoffs at all.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Odin Posted - 02/10/2009 : 09:23:20
quote:

quote:

Of course, another bitter Leafs fan with blinders on. I don't blame you for being bitter, you won't know the joy of your team winning it all in your lifetime.
Odin Posted - 02/10/2009 : 09:21:09
quote:

quote:

hanley6 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 21:52:04
quote:

DangleFest89 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 21:22:14
Porkchop I agree a spilt second to make a decision is hard and yes your always trying to dish it out to your d partner but when a guy is barreling down on you that fast and close he could have atleast skated infront and slowed down which I no is a bad play in NHL but after it happened last time you think he would have learned something from that. I honestly can say in that position and that time I would not no what to do and probably do the same, but if given time and practice my whole life and scenarios I would have skated it to the boards and reversed it and took the check hoping my defence would be ready.
Guest7266 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 20:26:08
Guest4631 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 18:33:00
hanley it appears that as u see it any one who hits a leaf is dirty. slashing, crosschecking, borderling hits and trash talking and part of every game montreal did not invent this type of play and they dont do it any more then any other team. and i dont know what games you watch but i didnt see kostitsyn hiding behind any refs when it came to fighting grabovski. i dont think he can help it if a ref skates infront of him and grabs on. take your blinders off actually watch a game for once
Porkchop73 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 16:54:54
quote:
Originally posted by DangleFest89

maybe Van Ryn should learn how to go into the boards when a foward is on you yeesh i learned that back in bantham after a guy knocked the wind outta me from behind to that day im smart enough to make a decision and not go straight into the boards when someone is right on me

come on danglefest, everyone who has played the game has been in that position before. A Race for the puck towards the end boards, as the pursueing forward you are thinking one thing, hit the defensemen off the puck as soon as he touches it. As the dman you are looking for the best possible area to play the puck knowing you are going to get hit. The dman always gets crushed in that situation. There is no way to protect yourself, the forward has committed to the hit and the dman is going to get it whether he angles himself or gets closer to the boards or dives to the ice. The thing is, in that situation at a high level in the sport you are taught to move the puck to the other defender or best area and take the hit. At lower levels you are taught leave the puck and take the attacker, the puck is hopefully supported by your backchecking forward or other dman or else you have a turnover. Nine times out of ten the puck is turned over if you do not play it. Van Ryn did the smart play in both scenerios where he was hit (one dirty from behind, the other a clean check). You must also remember that at the NHL level you have to make this decision in a split second. Tell me what would you have done without your team losing possession of the puck. I said it earlier and I will say it again, the players need to start showing a little more respect to one another in that situation.
I also want to point out that this is evidence of the Habs/Leafs rivalry gaining strength again. When a topic like this gets peoples hockey blood boiling.
By the way Danglefest, i was only doing this reply just to warm up for the great debate where I meet you in the first round if it gets to us anytime soon. LOL
hanley6 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 16:38:25
quote:
Originally posted by DangleFest89

maybe Van Ryn should learn how to go into the boards when a foward is on you yeesh i learned that back in bantham after a guy knocked the wind outta me from behind to that day im smart enough to make a decision and not go straight into the boards when someone is right on me

Van Ryn was going for the puck he beat Max Pacioretty to the chase, Max Pacioretty didn't seem to care about the puck and made a leading jump from behind and rammed Van Ryn heads first into the boards only this time Van Ryn hurt his leg on the fall. It was very similar to kostopoulus dirty hit. both were an attempt to injure, both worked. It reminds me of Eric Lindros and his dirty leaping hits. And it needs to be stopped before someone becomes paralyzed or killed
DangleFest89 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 16:26:40

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page