Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Rivalry between the Leafs and the Habs Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  18:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toronto and Montreal used to be a very great rivalry to watch, lots of goals both ways, lots of big clean hits and best of all lots and lots of fights... But now Montreal resorts to dirty hits from behind, head hunting and and high sticks to peoples faces... it's sickening. The fight between Brad May and Georges Laraque was a great fight very entertaining and a great moral boast for Toronto. But Laraque is the only guy that can fight on Montreal, the rest of Montreal's players are a bunch of dirty twigs and I hope Sergei Kostitsyn, Saku Koivu, Francis Bouillon, Max Pacioretty like the dirty cheap shot artists they are get what they deserve, I'd love to see them all get there faces bashed in from a good clean fight... Last game between Montreal and Toronto sure Montreal won the game but they were also playing dirty, It was great to see Toronto kick their butts in fights and I'd like to see a lot more... I hope Montreal smartens up stops playing dirty, play some hockey and have some good old clean hockey fights.

GO LEAFS!!!

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  18:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats quite a one way biased opinion, not disagreeing with you, but your Leafs do it too. Grabovski?? Can hardly classify him as a classy player. Every team will throw out the occasional cheap shot, and between rivalries, even more. Thats why there are fighters, to try and self police the game. But this may be a good argument to take out the instigator rule. I hate that people like Sean Avery can go around and start everything without having to back it up. Then when someone tries to fight him, he backs away. He is effective at what he does, but no honor or code at all.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  19:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't Hollweg play for the Leafs? You know, the one who keeps getting suspended for hits from behind. I'm sure any player in the league would tell you they would rather take the chance of losing a few chiclets from a high stick, than risk being paralyzed or worse from a hit from behind....we get to watch enough(not necessarily by choice), Leafs games and Habs games, being in the West and having those 2 be the early game on HNIC, to see just how both teams play. I'm not sure I know where those comments come from, I don't see it.
Not to worry though, if the perception keeps up, I'm sure Jamal Mayers will thug jump someone like usual, and you can cheer then.
Not to say the Habs are saints, but I think it's no worse than any other team, including the Leafs.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  19:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasher

Thats quite a one way biased opinion, not disagreeing with you, but your Leafs do it too. Grabovski?? Can hardly classify him as a classy player. Every team will throw out the occasional cheap shot, and between rivalries, even more. Thats why there are fighters, to try and self police the game. But this may be a good argument to take out the instigator rule. I hate that people like Sean Avery can go around and start everything without having to back it up. Then when someone tries to fight him, he backs away. He is effective at what he does, but no honor or code at all.

Yeah well, it's not biased if you watched the game you'd agree. At least the battle of Alberta and Ontario doesn't get this bad. I agree Avery can't back it up and neither can Sergei Kostitsyn and Saku Koivu. I wish they let Grabovski and Kostitsyn go at it. I know Grabovski wanted to but Kostitsyn kept lipping him off and was to scared to go near him.. . just kept behind the referee and and his bench..come on man it's only Grabovski not Tie Domi, Grabovski is not a fighter but I'm sure he would have beat Kostitsyn. Also in that game a from behind the bench they grabbed a hold of a Toronto player from the ice while he was skating bye..

Tonight Montreal was out to kill head hunting, they re injured Van Ryn again after he got a point the same way they did it last time a jumping hit from behind like Lindros used to do.. Koivu half cross checked half slashed Stajan in the face while Stajan was in mid skate and they weren't even in play for the puck...

oh well,,, Great Job Toronto and Congratulations to Luke Schenn on getting his first NHL goal... awesome

Edited by - hanley6 on 02/07/2009 19:44:41
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  19:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

Doesn't Hollweg play for the Leafs? You know, the one who keeps getting suspended for hits from behind. I'm sure any player in the league would tell you they would rather take the chance of losing a few chiclets from a high stick, than risk being paralyzed or worse from a hit from behind....we get to watch enough(not necessarily by choice), Leafs games and Habs games, being in the West and having those 2 be the early game on HNIC, to see just how both teams play. I'm not sure I know where those comments come from, I don't see it.
Not to worry though, if the perception keeps up, I'm sure Jamal Mayers will thug jump someone like usual, and you can cheer then.
Not to say the Habs are saints, but I think it's no worse than any other team, including the Leafs.

uhhhhh,,,,,,,, yeah you talk out of your azz... hahaha Hollweg hasn't played an NHL game since January 10th (against Philadelphia), He's only been suspended twice and that was for instigating. Toronto don't like his play and he hasn't recorded a penalty since December 8th (against New York Islanders) a 5 minute fighting major

Edited by - hanley6 on 02/07/2009 19:41:21
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  23:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

Toronto and Montreal used to be a very great rivalry to watch, lots of goals both ways, lots of big clean hits and best of all lots and lots of fights... But now Montreal resorts to dirty hits from behind, head hunting and and high sticks to peoples faces... it's sickening. The fight between Brad May and Georges Laraque was a great fight very entertaining and a great moral boast for Toronto. But Laraque is the only guy that can fight on Montreal, the rest of Montreal's players are a bunch of dirty twigs and I hope Sergei Kostitsyn, Saku Koivu, Francis Bouillon, Max Pacioretty like the dirty cheap shot artists they are get what they deserve, I'd love to see them all get there faces bashed in from a good clean fight... Last game between Montreal and Toronto sure Montreal won the game but they were also playing dirty, It was great to see Toronto kick their butts in fights and I'd like to see a lot more... I hope Montreal smartens up stops playing dirty, play some hockey and have some good old clean hockey fights.

GO LEAFS!!!

Finally someone says it Koivu is one of the dirtiest players in the game frig every shift I watch him he never finishes his check no matter how big the size of the guy. Its also dirty that he never sticks up for his teammates aswell(some captain). He should take lessons from people like Grabs, Hollweg, and Antropov on how to hit, backcheck, and win games. Also forget to add anyone see how there was 2 refs on Grabs and only 1 on Kostiyn when they were gunna fight some tough guy Sergei is....
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  23:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following was taken from a quick Wikepedia search, which although can't be proven as 100 percent accurate, does get to the gist of what I was saying.
It doesn't matter if he hasn't played a game since whenever, he played enough to be counted as a Leaf, and as near as I can tell, none of these led to the Leaf's suspending him, thereby leaving the assumption they were okay with his play at the time.
I would venture an educated guess that his reason for not playing has more to do with the fact that he's just not that good, rather than the fact that the Leafs have gotten all Ghandi-ish in their approach to the physicalities of the game.
If there was ever a GM who would look at playing the game with less physicalities, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be Burke.
Also, I'm pretty sure my Azzz doesn't talk, but thanks for checking it out anyways.

"On March 8, 2007, at 13:25 of the third period of a game between the Rangers and the New York Islanders, Ryan Hollweg delivered a check on Chris Simon, sending the sizeable forward into the boards head-first. ''

"On February 3, 2008, Hollweg was assessed a five minute penalty and ejected from a game against the Montreal Canadiens after intentionally checking left wing Sergei Kostitsyn head first into the boards. "

"On October 6, 2008, Hollweg was suspended by the NHL for 2 games because he was assessed a boarding major in a pre-season game against the St. Louis Blues. Because he had two boarding majors last season, there is a provision for an automatic two-game suspension as a result of the accumulation."

"On October 13th, 2008, in his first game back from the previous suspension, Hollweg was issued a five-minute major penalty for boarding followed by a game misconduct after checking a St. Louis Blues player into the boards from behind early in the second period. Done while the Leafs were ahead 3-1, the play was seen as a momentum-breaker. The Blues scored twice on the ensuing powerplay and eventually won in the shootout, 5-4. Spectators were heard booing the hit and cheering Hollweg's ejection."

Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  23:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DangleFest89

quote:

GO LEAFS!!!

Finally someone says it Koivu is one of the dirtiest players in the game frig every shift I watch him he never finishes his check no matter how big the size of the guy. Its also dirty that he never sticks up for his teammates aswell(some captain). He should take lessons from people like Grabs, Hollweg, and Antropov on how to hit, backcheck, and win games. Also forget to add anyone see how there was 2 refs on Grabs and only 1 on Kostiyn when they were gunna fight some tough guy Sergei is....

You are being sarcatic right?...right?
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  01:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

quote:

quote:

GO LEAFS!!!

You are being sarcatic right?...right?

of course he is
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  05:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being a Leaf fan and also having watched last nights game I saw it a little different then Hanley6.
I love the fact that this old time rivalry has heated up again thanks to two tiny Belarussians who have a strangely intense hatred for each other apparently since childhood. It's great to see some intensity in the Habs/Leafs games now.
Hanley6, I think you let your Blue blood get flowing a little to much and it caused mild hallucinations and perhaps dizziness. First off May got his jock handed to him by Laraque and in no way was it moral boost to the leafs. What it did do was say I am willing to take on the toughset SOB in the league (knowing I am going to get pummelled) to protect my teamates.
The game was very physical to start and was great to watch. If you have watched any Hab games this year, they have a very physical aspect to their game. Were they headhunting, I don't think so. Obviously with Grabovski they may have taken a little extra time to finish their checks. I did not think any were dirty.
Koivu's stick in Stajans face should have been called. Did Koivu play dirty? No, he returned Stajans response with one of his own and they both got tens. No harm no foul, everyday occurrence in the NHL.
Hollweg only suspended for instigating, already covered by Fat Elvis, but give your head a shake. Hollweg is not nearly effective as player when you take away his dirty play, that is why he is a scratch.
The hit on VanRyn was not dirty, fairly clean from the side. What I do not like about that style of play is that injuries almost always occur with a race to end boards for the puck, defencemen are left with only a few split second decisions to make the play and not get hurt. I think players need to respect one another a little more in that circumstance.
As for the Grabovski/S. Kostitsyn match, the coachs did not match them up. Both had 12min ice time but only once were they out together and they did not even attempt to settle their dispute. Also Grabovski seemed to playing a little reckless, often with his head down.
The physical intensity seemed to die in the later stages of the game.
The difference in this game was the Leafs responded as a team, the message was sent early that if the Habs pick on one then they get the whole team. This is a new concept for the leafs.
The difference in winning this game for the leafs was the glove hand of Carey Price.
So the rivalry is great and I hope its intensity will grow but I don't think you saw the same game as the rest of HNIC viewers did. I was not dirty at all. It was good hockey with a physical edge. Good game to watch if you ask me. I was just glad the leafs didn't blow another lead.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  12:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Porkchop73

Being a Leaf fan and also having watched last nights game I saw it a little different then Hanley6.
I love the fact that this old time rivalry has heated up again thanks to two tiny Belarussians who have a strangely intense hatred for each other apparently since childhood. It's great to see some intensity in the Habs/Leafs games now.
Hanley6, I think you let your Blue blood get flowing a little to much and it caused mild hallucinations and perhaps dizziness. First off May got his jock handed to him by Laraque and in no way was it moral boost to the leafs. What it did do was say I am willing to take on the toughset SOB in the league (knowing I am going to get pummelled) to protect my teamates.
The game was very physical to start and was great to watch. If you have watched any Hab games this year, they have a very physical aspect to their game. Were they headhunting, I don't think so. Obviously with Grabovski they may have taken a little extra time to finish their checks. I did not think any were dirty.
Koivu's stick in Stajans face should have been called. Did Koivu play dirty? No, he returned Stajans response with one of his own and they both got tens. No harm no foul, everyday occurrence in the NHL.
Hollweg only suspended for instigating, already covered by Fat Elvis, but give your head a shake. Hollweg is not nearly effective as player when you take away his dirty play, that is why he is a scratch.
The hit on VanRyn was not dirty, fairly clean from the side. What I do not like about that style of play is that injuries almost always occur with a race to end boards for the puck, defencemen are left with only a few split second decisions to make the play and not get hurt. I think players need to respect one another a little more in that circumstance.
As for the Grabovski/S. Kostitsyn match, the coachs did not match them up. Both had 12min ice time but only once were they out together and they did not even attempt to settle their dispute. Also Grabovski seemed to playing a little reckless, often with his head down.
The difference in this game was the Leafs responded as a team, the message was sent early that if the Habs pick on one then they get the whole team. This is a new concept for the leafs.
The difference in winning this game for the leafs was the glove hand of Carey Price.
So the rivalry is great and I hope its intensity will grow but I don't think you saw the same game as the rest of HNIC viewers did. I was not dirty at all. It was good hockey with a physical edge. Good game to watch if you ask me. I was just glad the leafs di
dn't blow another lead.

yes May got beat by Laraque but not that bad, May actually stood his own ground pretty much saying I am not afraid of anyone which did boast Toronto's moral because Schenn scored not too long after.. It was a good fight and it wasn't even close to being a one sided fight May actually surprised me he fought a good fight considering who he was fighting it was a fairly even fight.. Montreal almost didn't call a penalty to Koivu, before Koivu crossed checked Stajans face Stajan did nothing to Koivu or anyone to deserve it so i have no idea what you are talking about. I don't blame Stajan's frustrations after it happened Stajan wanted to knock him out and I would have been happy if he did, koivu deserves it. You say those head hunting hits on Van Ryn weren't dirty both from behind ( this one is from Novemeber 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJ3X9tHqf0 they don't have the one from last night yet but but it was the exact same dirty play

here is more cheapshots from this year Toronto vs Montreal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtzxdDBnP2I&NR=1 watch Koivu kick Grabovski

Go to Top of Page

rross
Top Prospect

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  14:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Porkchop73

So the rivalry is great and I hope its intensity will grow but I don't think you saw the same game as the rest of HNIC viewers did. I was not dirty at all. It was good hockey with a physical edge. Good game to watch if you ask me. I was just glad the leafs di
dn't blow another lead.

yes May got beat by Laraque but not that bad, May actually stood his own ground pretty much saying I am not afraid of anyone which did boast Toronto's moral because Schenn scored not too long after.. It was a good fight and it wasn't even close to being a one sided fight May actually surprised me he fought a good fight considering who he was fighting it was a fairly even fight.. Montreal almost didn't call a penalty to Koivu, before Koivu crossed checked Stajans face Stajan did nothing to Koivu or anyone to deserve it so i have no idea what you are talking about. I don't blame Stajan's frustrations after it happened Stajan wanted to knock him out and I would have been happy if he did, koivu deserves it. You say those head hunting hits on Van Ryn weren't dirty both from behind ( this one is from Novemeber 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJ3X9tHqf0 they don't have the one from last night yet but but it was the exact same dirty play

here is more cheapshots from this year Toronto vs Montreal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtzxdDBnP2I&NR=1 watch Koivu kick Grabovski

Holy overactive Leaf imagination Batman!!

Koivu did not kick Grabovski. After Koivu missed the bodycheck on Grabovski, his foot got tangled with Grabovski's arm resultiing in I guess what you took for a kicking action.
And Laraque schooled May, not sure what fight you were watching.

Go Habs Go!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  14:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All this garbage about cheap shots and dirty play just proves how weak the rivalry is nowadays.

When both teams are in the same boat, then you've got a rivalry, i.e. both fighting to be the best, both fighting to make the playoffs, or both fighting to advance within the playoffs. That's why the Boston / Montreal rivalry is a much better one at the moment.

As for all the talk about dirty play, I think you guys need to give your heads a shake if you think that the players on the actual teams treat the non-rivalry half as seriously as the fans do. The only player on both rosters that would have any hostility towards the opposing team would be Grabovski because of the controversial way things went during his time there.

If you think guys like May, Hollweg or Laraque actually care who it is they are punching in the face, you're probably wrong. They get paid to fight, and they do it indiscriminately. More times than not, they don't even have any emotional energy invested in the fight, it's just another day at the office.

''Yes we can!'' -Obama
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  15:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hanely do not make me post the entire game from Sat night. You are being ridiculous. I am just as big a leaf fan as anyone yet I cannot even come close to saying last nights game was dirty.
Post all the past vids on you tube that you want, it still does not prove last nights game was dirty. Yes Kotsoupolus's hit on Van Ryn earlier in the season was dirty, but the hit VanRyn took last night was not.
Quit making the rest of us leaf fans look like idiots. Use some common sense for petes sake.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  22:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hanely do not make me post the entire game from Sat night. You are being ridiculous. I am just as big a leaf fan as anyone yet I cannot even come close to saying last nights game was dirty.
Post all the past vids on you tube that you want, it still does not prove last nights game was dirty. Yes Kotsoupolus's hit on Van Ryn earlier in the season was dirty, but the hit VanRyn took last night was not.
Quit making the rest of us leaf fans look like idiots. Use some common sense for petes sake.

what was the difference between the hits between November 8th and the other day???? it was the exact same dirty hit from behind
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  06:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, the Toronto/Montreal rivalry isn't what it used to be, although the fans still get up for it. But it has little to do with the play, and more to do with the games and standings.

Montreal blew out the Leafs a few times already this season, and those games are never that fun to watch, frankly. This last game was a bit better, but it also wasn't a close finish. It's hard to put your finger on how a great rivalry gets revived, but a few key ingredients are necessary:

1. Close games - needs little explanation. With two competetive teams fighting tooth and nail, you get a better game.
2. Playoff Teams - it always means more when the two teams are jostling for position, or, even better sometimes, the two teams are near or just out of the top eight.
3. A Rallying Incident - whether it's a dirty hit and a big melee afterward, or if it's a big check, or a big fight; there often is a spark from one or two games back that makes the game a little more dear to everyone. I remember the days when Ottawa met Toronto yearly in the playoffs, and the regular season games were always intense (they've dropped off now, for obvious reasons).

I agree with another poster here, I'll take the Bruins and Habs now instead, although that would just be to watch a proper great team beat the Habs to a pulp!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  06:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Leafs have blown out the habs just as many times as the habs have blown out the leafs this year.
What are we at so far? Montreal 6 Toronto 1, Montreal 6 Toronto 2
and Toronto 6 Montreal 3 and Toronto 5 Montreal 2 (I think thats correct..)

As far as saturday night is concerned, I think the leafs just wanted to be able to leave montreal with their heads held high. They did not want to get embarassed either on the scoreboard or physically and after the buffalo game Wilson had these guys ready to play.

I have noticed some dirty play from the habs this year, especially against the leafs. Some hits from behind, some stickwork and slew footing, but nothing (besides the van ryn hit) that would get me all up in arms. Some of the best leaf teams have been ones that play on the edge and cross the line sometimes, so it doesn't really bother me too much.

If Im a habs fan, im worried. Getting trounced by the Leafs on saturday night at home is terrible, yet you have stanley cup aspirations this year?

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Guest9164
( )

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  07:10:17  Reply with Quote
The Habs should stop wasting so much energy on teams at the bottom of the conference that have no chance at making the playoffs and keep it for games that mean more. Thay can play hard to get the win but they waste more energy against the Leafs than they do against any other team, except Boston maybe. They have a long road trip ahead and play alot of games in February and they need every ounce of strenght to win those games, and maybe an offensive defenseman on the PP.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  08:00:09  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow.... you are the FIRST leaf fan that has gained my RESPECT. I applaud you for stating the obvious, and stating it un-biased. I'm an Oiler fan, with 99% Habs blood in my viens... Habs are playing like crap and Oilers are even worse this year - and I'm not afraid of stating that, and not blinded.
Maybe there is some hope for some leaf fans...

Go to Top of Page

Guest9278
( )

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  10:49:11  Reply with Quote
LOL THIS IS FUNNY
What about brad may fighting the smallest player on the canadians roster last mathcup? What about hollweg? Who are the canadians fighter? kostopoulus? Boullion? There are not fighter but when someone ask them to drop the gloves they never say no .... that is called HEART! Laraque is a fighter but he has player like 10-15 games. Koivi is one of the smallest player in the league but yet he has the balls to stick up for his teammates and deliver that key hit. Tell me... i know you are a habs hater but was that your first hockey game that you watched in your life? Maybe your just jealous of the fact that montreal can contend and toronto wont make the playoff for the next 3-4 years?
I find this post really funny that even toronto fans think ur a joke and a loser.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  11:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to be a d*** or anything....but... Montreal THINKS they can contend this year. I think they are disgustingly overrated and nowhere near the top teams in the NHL. It will be another year or two before Toronto makes the playoffs again, but it wasn't that long ago when Montreal was struggling to keep their head above water either. They missed the post season only 2 years ago. Since the lockout im pretty sure Montreal and Toronto are tied, splitting the wins 50/50.

I read an interesting fact the other day as well, the 2000's are the only decade Toronto has a winning record over Montreal.

Go to Top of Page

Guest7735
( )

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  11:06:27  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9278

LOL THIS IS FUNNY
What about brad may fighting the smallest player on the canadians roster last mathcup? What about hollweg? Who are the canadians fighter? kostopoulus? Boullion? There are not fighter but when someone ask them to drop the gloves they never say no .... that is called HEART! Laraque is a fighter but he has player like 10-15 games. Koivi is one of the smallest player in the league but yet he has the balls to stick up for his teammates and deliver that key hit. Tell me... i know you are a habs hater but was that your first hockey game that you watched in your life? Maybe your just jealous of the fact that montreal can contend and toronto wont make the playoff for the next 3-4 years?
I find this post really funny that even toronto fans think ur a joke and a loser.

Yea, what about Bouillon fighting with a visor on? What about Kostopolous ramming guys from behind into the boards? May may (hahaha) have fought Bouillon, but he did take on Laraque as well, so don't accuse him of picking on the smaller guys. Hollweg won't get another sniff of action this year, the guy is a joke and should never have been signed/.
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  11:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

what was the difference between the hits between November 8th and the other day???? it was the exact same dirty hit from behind

Holy Hanley! You need to pull your head out of your butt! The Kostopolous hit was from behind and boarding. You could tell that even Tom knew he did bad by the way he reacted and was ready for the repercussions. The last one was from the side and well out from the boards. Even the commentators were questioning whether that should have been a penalty. That fight where may got his ass handed to him did nothing to energize the Leafs, it was Prices shoddy play.

Edited by - Odin on 02/09/2009 11:08:19
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  15:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9278

LOL THIS IS FUNNY

I just want to point out that the intent of my posts were not to make someone a joke or a loser, if it did then I apologize. I do like to be unbiased and I don't like when a rabid leaf fan makes other sane leaf fans look silly. Sometimes I may over react out of fustration
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  16:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Odin

quote:

quote:

Holy Hanley! You need to pull your head out of your butt! The Kostopolous hit was from behind and boarding. You could tell that even Tom knew he did bad by the way he reacted and was ready for the repercussions. The last one was from the side and well out from the boards. Even the commentators were questioning whether that should have been a penalty. That fight where may got his ass handed to him did nothing to energize the Leafs, it was Prices shoddy play.

open your eyes that hit from Max Pacioretty was clearly from behind very similar to Tom Kostopolous' hit if you couldn't see that you are clearly a habs fan or you need to get your eyes tested or you didn't watch the game
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  16:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe Van Ryn should learn how to go into the boards when a foward is on you yeesh i learned that back in bantham after a guy knocked the wind outta me from behind to that day im smart enough to make a decision and not go straight into the boards when someone is right on me
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  16:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

maybe Van Ryn should learn how to go into the boards when a foward is on you yeesh i learned that back in bantham after a guy knocked the wind outta me from behind to that day im smart enough to make a decision and not go straight into the boards when someone is right on me

Van Ryn was going for the puck he beat Max Pacioretty to the chase, Max Pacioretty didn't seem to care about the puck and made a leading jump from behind and rammed Van Ryn heads first into the boards only this time Van Ryn hurt his leg on the fall. It was very similar to kostopoulus dirty hit. both were an attempt to injure, both worked. It reminds me of Eric Lindros and his dirty leaping hits. And it needs to be stopped before someone becomes paralyzed or killed

Edited by - hanley6 on 02/09/2009 16:40:30
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  16:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

come on danglefest, everyone who has played the game has been in that position before. A Race for the puck towards the end boards, as the pursueing forward you are thinking one thing, hit the defensemen off the puck as soon as he touches it. As the dman you are looking for the best possible area to play the puck knowing you are going to get hit. The dman always gets crushed in that situation. There is no way to protect yourself, the forward has committed to the hit and the dman is going to get it whether he angles himself or gets closer to the boards or dives to the ice. The thing is, in that situation at a high level in the sport you are taught to move the puck to the other defender or best area and take the hit. At lower levels you are taught leave the puck and take the attacker, the puck is hopefully supported by your backchecking forward or other dman or else you have a turnover. Nine times out of ten the puck is turned over if you do not play it. Van Ryn did the smart play in both scenerios where he was hit (one dirty from behind, the other a clean check). You must also remember that at the NHL level you have to make this decision in a split second. Tell me what would you have done without your team losing possession of the puck. I said it earlier and I will say it again, the players need to start showing a little more respect to one another in that situation.
I also want to point out that this is evidence of the Habs/Leafs rivalry gaining strength again. When a topic like this gets peoples hockey blood boiling.
By the way Danglefest, i was only doing this reply just to warm up for the great debate where I meet you in the first round if it gets to us anytime soon. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  18:33:00  Reply with Quote
hanley it appears that as u see it any one who hits a leaf is dirty. slashing, crosschecking, borderling hits and trash talking and part of every game montreal did not invent this type of play and they dont do it any more then any other team. and i dont know what games you watch but i didnt see kostitsyn hiding behind any refs when it came to fighting grabovski. i dont think he can help it if a ref skates infront of him and grabs on. take your blinders off actually watch a game for once
Go to Top of Page

Guest7266
( )

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  20:26:08  Reply with Quote
lets all finish this with a final statement ( Montreals the better team, they played a dirty game, and the leafs smoked them. ) and theres no point in argueing because im not comming back to this post.
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  21:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Porkchop I agree a spilt second to make a decision is hard and yes your always trying to dish it out to your d partner but when a guy is barreling down on you that fast and close he could have atleast skated infront and slowed down which I no is a bad play in NHL but after it happened last time you think he would have learned something from that. I honestly can say in that position and that time I would not no what to do and probably do the same, but if given time and practice my whole life and scenarios I would have skated it to the boards and reversed it and took the check hoping my defence would be ready.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  21:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7266

lets all finish this with a final statement ( Montreals the better team, they played a dirty game, and the leafs smoked them. ) and theres no point in argueing because im not comming back to this post.

exactly it's nice to see someone actually paid attention to the game and agrees with me that Montreal is dirty

Edited by - hanley6 on 02/09/2009 22:07:19
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  09:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

exactly it's nice to see someone actually paid attention to the game and agrees with me that Montreal is dirty

Hanley, you need an eye exam. It is blatantly obvious that you are a Leaf's homer, and probably whine when any leafs player is so much as touched. Go back and take a look th the replay, it was from the side. As I said, even the commentators were questioning whether it should have been a penalty. It was nowhere in the same league as Tom's hit. Not even close. Perhaps Van Ryn should learn to skate and he wouldn't have so many problems falling down.

You are quite obviously in the minority here, so let it go.
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  09:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Of course, another bitter Leafs fan with blinders on. I don't blame you for being bitter, you won't know the joy of your team winning it all in your lifetime.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  10:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course, another bitter Leafs fan with blinders on. I don't blame you for being bitter, you won't know the joy of your team winning it all in your lifetime.

Sounds like another arrogant Habs fan. If you haven't noticed, these aren't the 1970's anymore. Montreal will not be winning the cup anytime soon, the town and the media put the players on a pedastil which is even higher than the one we put ours on here in Toronto. The players on the habs are overrated and with the current group they have, will never win anything.

If anyone is wearing blinders, its Montreal. You constantly conplain about how leaf fans think all the free agents will want to play in toronto and how we 'think' we are the centre of the universe. Well, the same applies to you guys. Your team is full of DOGS, and won't make it past the first round, if you even make the playoffs at all.

Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  11:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See? Just bittter, bitter, bitter.

Just to brush you up on a little hockey history, 1993 is a hell of alot more recent than 1967. I would also dare say that Montreal is closer now than Toronto.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  11:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and they say there's no rivalry!!

Change the title of this thread to....
'The Rivalry between the Leafs and the Habs FANS', and you got yourself a brouhaha....

Personally, I've always found both Leafs AND Habs fans to be slightly deluded. One group talks of how their team is the only reason there is an NHL, because of where they are, and the other talks about the history of their team, and how THEY are the NHL.

Thank goodness there are 28 other teams to cheer for.

Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  11:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the exact same thing. There is a pretty good rivalry here amongst the fans.

I can take being called a little deluded. That is sometimes what it takes to support your team. It took a little delusion to remain a Habs fan throughout the horrible mid to late 90's and early 2000's.

Especially when it seemed that Houle had downed a bottle of scotch before he made a trade.

Edited by - Odin on 02/10/2009 11:53:50
Go to Top of Page

Guest9544
( )

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  12:42:45  Reply with Quote
quote:

See? Just bittter, bitter, bitter.

Just to brush you up on a little hockey history, 1993 is a hell of alot more recent than 1967. I would also dare say that Montreal is closer now than Toronto.

Toronto would have been Montreal that year if it wasn't for Wayne Gretzky seriously high stick to Dougie Gilmour drawling blood and getting no penalty and scoring on the next play...

Toronto would have beat Montreal for the Cup and I think even you know that
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  13:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9544

Toronto would have been Montreal that year if it wasn't for Wayne Gretzky seriously high stick to Dougie Gilmour drawling blood and getting no penalty and scoring on the next play...

Toronto would have beat Montreal for the Cup and I think even you know that

Kids at home!!! Quick read!!! This is why your teacher always tells you to put the top back on the glue bottle......
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  13:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hahaha. Yea, I just cant help but support my team. I really don't have anything against the habs, they have such an awesome history and are quite the classy organization. The arena is always electric and the city lives and dies hockey. I respect that alot.

I think the main reason people (like myself) are so sensitive to any leaf bashing is because we don't want to see such a historic and important franchise turn into a complete joke. While im sure most of you reading this just thought to yourself (wtf, they are already a joke, and have been for years) I disagree. They are NOT a joke to the fans, and we are absolutley starving for a great hockey team to take the ice at the ACC. We felt like we were sooo close to going all the way in the early 90's and then again in 99 and 02. JFJ set the franchise back light years and it has been very difficult to accept. Sitting back and watching this team absolutley trip all over itself since the lockout has been a very difficult thing to endure. I know fans from other franchises can relate to this, but it is hard for Montreal fans to relate. Just because the management at mlse f***ed things up doesnt mean the fans are idiots. Any chance we get to point out flaws in the canadiens, we usually jump all over it. Maybe it is fickle, but honestly, its all in competitive spirits.

I wish Montreal and Toronto were the two best teams in the NHL fighting for 1st place all year long. Thats a dream I have long held. The leafs mean the world to most of their fans, and we don't like people spitting on them.

It's not all bad in leaf land, I see a light at the end of the tunnel, most do not.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page