Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ovechkin's Goal Celebrations

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 03/20/2009 : 05:58:46
Much has been made of Ovie's goal celebrations, most of the negative commentary coming from an old guy in a clownsuit, oh irony of ironies. Disregarding his bigotted opinion, it has started many an interesting discussion on the tv/radio shows, and while many people have an issue with his antics, many others love the entertainment value and enjoy the excitement he clearly has for every goal scored.

What do you think?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rambo2305 Posted - 04/27/2009 : 06:22:20
Sum it all up...

1) He's scores...alot!
2) Could he pass the puck more? Yes.
3) Goal Celebrations, when you score 50+...do what you want,
4) There are alot of players in the NHL that can score 50+ if they had Backstrom and Semin as linemates.
5) Is he streaky in the playoffs? Yes.
6) Leafs will win the cup...next year :) Habs choke...alot...

Are there any other topics from this forum?

"Everytime you step out onto the ice, it's a clean slate, anyone can win"
Beans15 Posted - 04/26/2009 : 22:51:38
I think the topic of who drives 200 miles an hour and who doesn't is irrelevant to this topic. Granted, I strongly agree that players (all players) in the NHL are role models regardless if they want to be or not. However, it has nothing to do with celebrating goals.

And I think we all have personal loses in our lives and we all have different reasons for our personal believes. However, neither of these things belong on a site talking about hockey.

Let's try to stay on and argue the topic, not each other on a personal level.
fly4apuckguy Posted - 04/26/2009 : 21:42:41
sorry, double post
fly4apuckguy Posted - 04/26/2009 : 21:41:25
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Wow, more negative criticism by unrelated association . . . let's go through it point by point:

If you like the way Ovechkin plays . . .
1. You must be a Crosby hater.
2. You have no objectivity.
3. You're probably younger (and if you're younger, you think arrogance is good).
4. You love Avery as well (Avery fans love Ovechkin).

Amazing, in that I love the way Ovechkin plays, and the excitement he brings; but I also like Crosby (I have been fervently hoping Washington and Pittsburgh meet in the playoffs), I feel I am very objective, I am as old as you (and I don't think arrogance is cool), and I absolutely hate Avery.

I am also a huge fan of Gretzky, Orr and Iginla.

Any more false arguments for us?

Of course there are exceptions to every rule. But here's a challenge: go to any of Ovechkin's or Crosby's Youtube videos where they have scored a nice goal or something and read the comments, then come back here and tell me I am making this stuff up.

My arguments, while not popular (or admittedly 100% accurate - more like 80%), are true in most cases.

NYR fans and Caps fans hate Crosby because he is the anti-Ovechkin and the anti-Avery. That is, he's respectful, quiet, humble, and doesn't drive cars 200 miles per hour down public roads and then brag about how he doesn't think about tomorrow, just about having fun today.

Guys like me that are opposed to that kind of thinking...well, we're old and don't know what's "good for the game". I've actually had people tell me Avery is better for the NHL than Crosby because he adds color, and gets the NHL in the news in the states.

Truth is, I knew what was good for the game before Ovechkin was even born. Before Russians (Soviets) played a single game in the NHL.

Congrats on liking the same guys I like, though. Good choices.
Guest4631 Posted - 04/26/2009 : 17:42:13
if your talking about best sniper , you have to look at shooting percentage. a guy like vanek was a much more efficient sniper then ovechkin was this year. the number that scares me is that despite leading the league in goals with 56. he was only had a +8 rating on the season. that means he is on the ice for alot of other teams goals as well. and alot of those goals come as a result of him taking to many shots. he throws a lot of bad shots at the net that result in odd man rushes going back the other way. he is not the mvp this year for that reason.

his celebrations are over the top, n ppl would be outraged if a guy like avery was doing them. he is a very exciting player, but he also gets away with a like of charges n high hits that go unpunished because he is a star player
Beans15 Posted - 04/26/2009 : 09:22:00
I think I want to get into this rumble!!

Firstly, I am not going to talk about who is the best pure goal scorer. I agree that it's Ovechkin, but it's not a landslide. There are at least 10 guys in the league with the potential to be 50+ goal scorers and I would say 5 of those guys could (mean not as likely) be 60+ goal scorers. Ovechkin is the best, but not by much.

And I have to agree almost 100% with Fly. When Ovechkin went through his first two year, he was a breath of fresh air in the league. He played will a zest for the game. But for some reason through this year, it seems to me that he is playing with more of a zest for himself than the game. However, he is only 23 yrs old and perhaps, when he realizes that becoming a better team player will make him more successful that some of this garbage will go away.

Ultimately, the celebrations are more than what they need to be. Even the other day, when he scored perhaps the best goal of the year (beat 2 Rangers, rocked through the slot, kicked the puck to his stick and scored backhand on Lundqvist with another Ranger on his Back) he didn't have to do the kiss the glove and point to the crowd. They were already up 3-0. That's not emotion on the ice, it's showboating and self indulgence. If you watch the link below closely, you will see that he does the kiss the glove and point to the crowd thing with his back to his team mates, then he turns around and celebrates with his team.

It's self indulgent crap that I personally don't like. Ovechkin is slowly getting the reputation of being that guy who would rather look good and lose than look bad and win. It's all about him, and if that doesn't change, it will hurt him in the long run.
Canucks Man Posted - 04/26/2009 : 08:55:06
So, for all the people that our useing the shooting percentage arguement on ovechkin I ask you this: Would Kyle Wellwood actually have scored 101 goals if he had taken 528 shots?

CANUCKS RULE!!!
n/a Posted - 04/26/2009 : 08:26:08
Wow, more negative criticism by unrelated association . . . let's go through it point by point:

If you like the way Ovechkin plays . . .
1. You must be a Crosby hater.
2. You have no objectivity.
3. You're probably younger (and if you're younger, you think arrogance is good).
4. You love Avery as well (Avery fans love Ovechkin).

Amazing, in that I love the way Ovechkin plays, and the excitement he brings; but I also like Crosby (I have been fervently hoping Washington and Pittsburgh meet in the playoffs), I feel I am very objective, I am as old as you (and I don't think arrogance is cool), and I absolutely hate Avery.

I am also a huge fan of Gretzky, Orr and Iginla.

Any more false arguments for us?

fly4apuckguy Posted - 04/25/2009 : 19:36:59
I actually think Ovechkin is a phenominal talent. I'll even admit, probably the best pure talent in the NHL.

But I don't like his act. I'm old school. I don't mind a spontaneous celebration, even one that is a bit overboard under certain circumstances.

But this guy thinks he is the show. I know what his teammates say, "That's just Alex being Alex", and "He's entertaining." I wonder what they really think.

I think part of the reason I dislike him so much is for the simple fact that his supporters treat his counterpart, Sidney Crosby, so poorly. They can't acknowledge two talents, they have to call him a whiner (which he has not done since 2005), and a baby (was he a baby when he was getting killed in the corner today, and still scored two goals to lead his team to the second round of the playoffs)?

In short, Ovechkin's people have no objectivity. And neither does he. When asked who the best player in the world is, he will reply himself.

Some (mostly younger) fans love that kind of arrogance, and take Crosby's lack of it to mean he's gutless. Younger fans think being arrogant is good for the popularity of the game. I'm not young (38), and I do not need "action" and "arrogance" to keep me interested. I like guys who respect their peers and their position in the hockey world.

I am a fan of Orr, Gretzky, Believeau, and more recently Iginla and guys like that. I dislike guys like Avery. Avery fans love Ovechkin. That should say something about what type of person he is.

MSC Posted - 04/25/2009 : 16:15:51
And I'm willing to bet that it'll mean everthing come playoff time again next year when they suffer another first round elimination because his selfish style doesn't equal success.
n/a Posted - 04/25/2009 : 15:32:41
I'll bet you that once again, next year, shooting percentage will mean jack s*** in terms of wins, losses, mvp status, and the scoring title.

fly4apuckguy Posted - 04/24/2009 : 17:54:12
quote:

No one can score 50 goals EASILY. Ovechkin blew away the goal scoring competition easily the last two years, though.

My opinion isn't based on 'ifs' or 'buts' . . . it's based on fact.

Barring injury to Ovechkin, who is willing to take a bet with me on OV winning the scoring title again next year? Anyone? Anyone?

I'll bet you that he has a worse shooting percentage than anyone else in the top 20 scoring.
n/a Posted - 04/24/2009 : 06:55:51
No one can score 50 goals EASILY. Ovechkin blew away the goal scoring competition easily the last two years, though.

My opinion isn't based on 'ifs' or 'buts' . . . it's based on fact.

Barring injury to Ovechkin, who is willing to take a bet with me on OV winning the scoring title again next year? Anyone? Anyone?

fly4apuckguy Posted - 04/24/2009 : 06:51:32
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

Have I mentioned it's good to see you back Fly?

Thanks. As you can see, I haven't changed much.

Rambo2305 Posted - 04/24/2009 : 06:38:47
Ovechkin is NOT the only player in the NHL capable of reaching the 50 goal mark. If players like Iginla, Kovalchuck, Parise etc. Had supporting cast like Backstrom, Green and Semin, I'm sure they'd all get there easily. Even if they don't take 500+ shots.

MSC Posted - 04/24/2009 : 06:33:44
Kovulchuk has scored 50+ goals twice, both seasons he did he played under the 80 games. Iginla's scored 50+ goals in 2 seasons. Dany Heatley has done it twice as well. All three of these guys are in their prime and could challenge for the Richard in any given year. When you add guys like Parise, Malkin, Carter, Nash, Staal, Vanek, Boyes who are all either in their prime or JUST BEGINNING their careers and have all scored 40+ goals in their short careers. To suggest that any of these players couldn't score as many goals as Ovechkin isn't even pure comedy it's just plain ignorant.
n/a Posted - 04/24/2009 : 05:42:42
You guys are hilarious - MSC: yes, you were being too broad . . . and by thinking that in today's league that any of the guys you mentioned could get as many goals as Ovechkin if they only shot more - well, that's pure comedy.

Anyways, this thread is about Ovechkin's goal celebration, not his goal scoring ability.

Did anyone here think he celebrated 'too much' for his first goal of this year's playoffs (in his team's 2-1 loss to the NYR)?

MSC Posted - 04/24/2009 : 05:26:18
Have I mentioned it's good to see you back Fly?
fly4apuckguy Posted - 04/23/2009 : 22:30:08
Ovechkin is a selfish player who shoots too often, and should dish the puck once in awhile. He'd shoot from the dressing room if he could.

He's a great talent, but he is more in love with himself than the game.

If Crosby said or did the things Ovechkin does, he'd be absolutely crucified by the press and by internet tough guys. But because Ovy has a Russian accent and is funny looking, we say "it's good for the league" or "it's entertaining". I don't find it to be either. The league would be fine without his act. Mike Bossy scored more goals that he ever will. Hull too. Gretz. Mario. I could go on. The league survived when those guys moved on.

Whatever. He is showing what a leader he is right now in the playoffs.
MSC Posted - 04/22/2009 : 08:47:37
I guess when I said there are other players in the league just as skilled at putting the puck in the net as Ovechkin I was being to broad. This list does not now or will ever include Ryan Malone(edit, I think it's to early to judge Eriksson), very nice work using statistics to your advantage though (especially for an english teacher).

The following people are the some of the ones I would consider elite goal scorers who are MORE then capable of making the space and getting their shots off if they wanted and their goal totals if they took as many shots as Ovechkin based on their shooting %.

Jeff Carter shooting %13.5 would have scored 71 goals on 528 shots
Parise shooting %13.5 would have scored 66 goals on 528 shots
Kovy shooting %15.6 would have scored 82 goals on 528 shots
Vanek shooting %19.0 would have scored 100 goals on 528 shots
Nash shooting %15.2 would have scored 80 goals on 528 shots

I'm not saying they would have scored that many goals but all of these guys are very capable of creating their own scoring opportunities and if they took a more me first approach then they could have easily challenged Ovechkin for the scoring title. Especially Kovulchuk, not only did he have a better shooting % but he definatly did not have the same caliber of linemates as Ovechkin.

Another telling point is the fact that Boudreau told Ovechkin he has to start getting his teamates involved more during the playoffs after starting 0-2. If your coach is telling you to change your style of play in order to give your team a chance at winning that should open your eyes.

So, once again, Ovechkin IS NOT "Hands Down" the best goal scorer in the league.

n/a Posted - 04/22/2009 : 06:49:32
Well, MSC - if you dish it out, you better be prepared to take it.

A whopping 10 more goals than the next best goal-scorer is amazing, yes . . . especially when one considers that Ovechkin had 56 goals to Carter's 46. That works out to 21.7% better than the very best that the rest of the field has to offer, or more than one-fifth. In today's professional sports leagues, that's an enormous gulf that is extremely rare.

Yes, 156 more shots on goal than Eric Staal is a lot more. Ovechkin's shooting percentage of .106 is pretty average for a good goal-scorer in the NHL, sure. That being said, no one will say that Ryan Malone and Lou Eriksson would be 70 or 80 goal-scorers if they took as many shots as Ovechkin does (they are the leaders in shooting percentage at .210 and .202 respectively). I don't think they would even have the ability to take 400 shots on goal, and I doubt if either will ever break the 40 goal mark - hockey just doesn't work like that.

Ovechkin is head and shoulders above the rest of the league in goal-scoring right now, period. He was the only 50 goal scorer this year. He should be allowed to celebrate his 50th how he wants to, whether you like his style or not.

Rambo2305 Posted - 04/21/2009 : 12:26:52
Not to mention, the whole "hot stick" thing was horribly choreographed, it was funny if anything, not showing up the other team. If that was the case, a D-man from Tampa would have decked him lol...but 116 goals over the last two years, the man can do what he wants lol

MSC Posted - 04/21/2009 : 09:03:00
me and me embrassing speling mistackes.

Thank you for proving my point Mr. Slozo. Ovechkin had a whopping 10 more goals then the next closest guy and just a mere 200 more shots. You're right horseradish all around.
n/a Posted - 04/21/2009 : 07:56:39
To call him "hands down" the best sniper is not ridiculous (or 'ridulous', as one poster here ironically posited).

Ovechkin is HANDS DOWN the best sniper in the league. No one comes close right now.

You can only take a shot when you have the time and space and proximity to the goal . . . so this argument about "if this guy took more shots" is horseradish. You must give credit where credit is due: OV's next best competition this year was 10 goals behind, the year before, 13. After his first two years of being in the top 5 mix of best goal-scorers, OV is reaching his prime, and is clearly head and shoulders above everyone right now. The prime of a goal-scorer's career generally doesn't last more than five years before diminished returns, so let's just enjoy it now, shall we?

Rambo2305 Posted - 04/21/2009 : 07:30:59
Yea, can't forget about Kovalchuck, Parise, Iginla etc. Ove's celebrations are great for the game, he bring's passion every night, and has anyone noticed that he gets more excited when one of his team mates scores?

MSC Posted - 04/21/2009 : 05:54:30
Ovechkin scores more goals then anyone in the league yes. To call him "hands down" the best sniper in the league in ridulous. There's quite a few players in the league just as talented at putting the puck in the net and if they took as many shots as Ovechkin then they to would be scoring in Ovechkin style quantity. No knock on Ovechkin, other players deserve credit as well.
Guest8241 Posted - 04/21/2009 : 05:12:16
Ok, so because Don Cherry says he doesn't like them, everyone hates them. Ovechkin is hands down, the deadliest sniper in the league. So what if he celebrates his goalS, he has passion for the game. And with all do respect to Cherry, but he played one shift, and didn't record a single point, shot or hit. So what qualifies him to pass judgment on the 60+ goal scorer? Does anyone realize that Cherry is the most racist TV personality out there? Canadian tax payers pay his salary and that’s what we get, a guy who says "there are too many Europeans in Detroit and they play boring hockey"...maybe, but they are the defending STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS! Also, he encourages our kids to hit and fight rather the score? Cherry should just admit it, Europeans, more specifically Russians are just as dominant in the NHL as good ol' Canadian kids. Crosby is NOT the best player in the NHL, live with it! Back to the main topic....OVECHKIN CELEBRATIONS....LOVE EM!!!
forumer09 Posted - 04/20/2009 : 16:08:33
love em
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 03/31/2009 : 13:46:08
is this any different to the outrage that was present when Elvis first appeared and all the mothers were disgusted by his sexual danacing (his knee shaking and what not) or when kids starting growing long hair in the sixties and all the adults were crying 'for shame!' People fear change, OV is a revolutionary, one day he will be referred to as hockeys Rosa Parks, hahaha

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Guest5898 Posted - 03/31/2009 : 12:27:48
frankly, who the f*** cares stop talking about it
n/a Posted - 03/29/2009 : 11:53:36
MrD - you bring up some very good points, and I wholeheartedly agree with you that we should strive to be better, and promote honourable behaviour.

Well, I'm not promoting OV's behaviour in any way; but I feel also that we have no right to denounce it. Isn't the honourable way to show by example, and choose positive reinforcement over negative reinforcement?

But like I said - I totally agree with you in principle, and we may not have much of an argument really.

Guest0474 Posted - 03/28/2009 : 21:59:32
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6030

Guest0474 - we are not talking about cheap shots and trash talk now,t this forum is about OV's celebration. And what he did is stupid, plain simple stupid.

You guys are complaining about how it wasn't sportsmanlike, is cheap shots and trash talk sportsmanlike?

This isn't commie china, it's a hockey rink, if OV can put on a show and back it up by his game and physically, then all the power to him. Good grief, the game is changing constantly, this is a change people are going to have to deal with. What's even funnier is how people are saying what about the kids, well how about the kids watching some of the superstars jabbering away like Crosby or hacking an ankle like Bobby Clarke, or the infamous Gretzky high stick? If we're all about the kids being good sports, lets have some consistency.
Guest6030 Posted - 03/28/2009 : 17:56:02
Guest0474 - we are not talking about cheap shots and trash talk now,t this forum is about OV's celebration. And what he did is stupid, plain simple stupid.
JERJ2008 Posted - 03/28/2009 : 16:42:16
I love the guy, think he's a great player, then next Pavel Bure. I like how he jumps into the glass, love his reaction to scoring. On his 50th though... Not necessary. The last thing the NHL needs is influence from the NFL or NBA. As of right now, there's no Terrel Owens in the NHL, but if kids grow up looking at guys like Ovechkin, and they will because he's such a good player, and see him doing stupid dances around their sticks, then the arrogant pricks amongst the kids who see that will think it's the new thing to do, and when they make it to the NHL, then we'll have the Terrel Owens of the NHL. So be happy and celebrate, but keep it in line please...
Guest4061 Posted - 03/28/2009 : 09:27:49
Guest 0474... do you even know what your talking about? Most of what you've said so far makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe in your delusional little world, but not in the real world.
Guest0474 Posted - 03/27/2009 : 21:04:18
quote:
Originally posted by MrD

The thing is he isn't the only one that has to deal with it. Every coach (and I'm not only talking those in the show) have to deal with young kids that will replicate OV's celebration because to many of them he is a God; and if OV does it, they want to do it as well. This is where we get role models gone wrong. If OV wants to trash the other team, and you think that is fine, well then you unfortunately have never been taught the valour and integrity of sportsmanship. That is the essence of where today's problem of disrespect comes from.

Again, people do get "uppity" about other players' cheap shots and missteps, only not as much as with OV because if you think Danny Cleary is as much of a role model as OV, you must be from Harbour Grace NL (not a knock here because it's a beautiful town) Yes they're all role models, but I'm sure the ratio of OV's worshipers to Cleary's is slightly one sided. Either way, to each their own, but for mine, I prefer a dignified, respectful game and not some side show, antic filled, ego boosting competition. Be humble; accept that you are indeed extremely talented and have reached an incredible milestone; but for the sake of those that truly love the game and what it can teach kids, don't be a showboat.

Milbury and McGuire should fight to the death and both lose.

With players talking trash on the ice and hacking and taking cheap shots at each other, sportsmanship is a non issue.

Should kids be following Crosby's example and beaking players on the ice. If OV found a way to get inside people's heads, more power to him. The train has left the station, there are celebrations a plenty and the game is always changing, OV is just riding the wave.
MrD Posted - 03/27/2009 : 20:42:11
quote:
[i]
If OV wants to be like that, that's his problem and he's the one that has to deal with it. OV however can back himself up physically. If OV wants to trash the other team that's fine as well. If your uppity at OV doing what he does, get uppity at all the other players who take cheap shots and talk trash on the ice. They're role models as well.

The thing is he isn't the only one that has to deal with it. Every coach (and I'm not only talking those in the show) have to deal with young kids that will replicate OV's celebration because to many of them he is a God; and if OV does it, they want to do it as well. This is where we get role models gone wrong. If OV wants to trash the other team, and you think that is fine, well then you unfortunately have never been taught the valour and integrity of sportsmanship. That is the essence of where today's problem of disrespect comes from.

Again, people do get "uppity" about other players' cheap shots and missteps, only not as much as with OV because if you think Danny Cleary is as much of a role model as OV, you must be from Harbour Grace NL (not a knock here because it's a beautiful town) Yes they're all role models, but I'm sure the ratio of OV's worshipers to Cleary's is slightly one sided. Either way, to each their own, but for mine, I prefer a dignified, respectful game and not some side show, antic filled, ego boosting competition. Be humble; accept that you are indeed extremely talented and have reached an incredible milestone; but for the sake of those that truly love the game and what it can teach kids, don't be a showboat.

Guest4061 Posted - 03/27/2009 : 19:29:35
Who cares! Yes what he did was kind of stupid and to be honest, if I was the goalie in net that night, I probably would have went over and knocked him on his ass. So what if he celebrates, big whoop. He'll never catch the real all-time record holders anyways (except maybe the shots on goal category). I mean, he should have as many goals as he does if not more, considering how many shots he takes (puck-hog I think is what they call it). Funny how the Canadian on the shift didn't want to participate. That's my thoughts on the whole thing (and I like Ovechkin).
Guest0474 Posted - 03/27/2009 : 17:55:58
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9289

Guest0474 - what you dont understand is the WAY the goals are celebrated, we are not saying to elimitate celebrations altogether here. Every player celebrates a goal and the 50th goal can be a bigger celebration, but not to look like an idiot as OV did..even his teammate rejected it.

If OV wants to be like that, that's his problem and he's the one that has to deal with it. OV however can back himself up physically. If OV wants to trash the other team that's fine as well. If your uppity at OV doing what he does, get uppity at all the other players who take cheap shots and talk trash on the ice. They're role models as well.
MrD Posted - 03/27/2009 : 12:48:48
quote:

Guest 0474 - bang on.

The game has changed . . . and although we all, I'm sure, have an idealised picture in our head of how the game of hockey should be played, it doesn't always happen that way. There was a lot of shi*talking way back in the day too, I'll reckon, and goodness knows there were plenty of threats given to players on the ice. I've heard lots of stories . . . and, back in the day, no one would have celebrated a goal in a manner even close to what Ovechkin did when he scored his 50th.

But back in those days, a man had to wear a suit on the street, or he'd be considered a bum (but even the bums had suits!). Every woman wore a dress. You wouldn't have ever heard a swear word exclaimed on the streets. Overall, the rigid level of decorum and respect was much higher than today.

Times have changed, and yes - all of us old geezers (myself included) may not totally agree with it. But, that's the way it is now . . . and I stand by my assertion that Ovechkin didn't try to show up anyone on TB: he just scored his 50th, and celebrated it in his own way. I don't see anyone else doing a celebration like that . . . only because, no one else in the league will score 50 this year.

Full respect to Ovechkin for his accomplishment, he gets a free pass from me.

Yes Slozo, things have indeed changed in hockey as they have in society, but does that mean that the changes should simply be accepted? If the level of decorum and respect has declined (in hockey as well as society in general) should we not at least attempt to revert our attitudes and ideals to how things were in "the good ol' days"? If you truly believe in honourable values such as respect, humbleness and the likes, would you not try and revive them rather than just roll over and accept it? What I'm getting at is that even though times have changed, and standards have changed, simply accepting it will only perpetuate regression.

As a highschool teacher and a coach I try to instill these important values in my students as oposed to just acknowledging that things are indeed different right now. Although I'm still a youngin' (I hope ) in my mid 20's I like yourself do not necessarily agree with some of the ways the game has changed (in my opinion for the worse). That is why I encourage my kids to display tact and class as much as possible. I'm not telling them that what OV did was wrong, nor does he not deserve accolades for his on ice success and passion for the game; I simply remind them that as a star in the league, you have a certain reponsibility as a role model that has the spotlight shone on him more than others, and as such you need to accept the responsibility that your actions will absolutely influence others. I in no way want to perpetuate or increase premeditated celebrations because they will no doubt begin to appear in forms of mockery, disrespect, and insult.

Don't read me wrong here; I am not furious or disgusted with what OV did. I still appreciate greatly his contributions to our beloved game. I do however agree with Cherry when he said that OV should know better. Perhaps he will mature through his years and realize the responsibility he possesses being a super-star in the NHL.

And just in response to the guest who made the argument that we don't scrutinize other players and other dispicable acts in the NHL, we actually do, but most likely in a different forum But we do not do it to the extent of how we have with OV. This again is due to the fact that he is a super-star in the league and not simply a 4th line role player. It's a really cheesy line, but it goes without saying that with great power comes great responsibility. Wow, I can't believe I just used that

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page