Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ovechkin's Goal Celebrations Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  05:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Much has been made of Ovie's goal celebrations, most of the negative commentary coming from an old guy in a clownsuit, oh irony of ironies. Disregarding his bigotted opinion, it has started many an interesting discussion on the tv/radio shows, and while many people have an issue with his antics, many others love the entertainment value and enjoy the excitement he clearly has for every goal scored.

What do you think?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

Love it - he brings excitement and passion to the game
It''s fine - he''s fun to watch, not a big deal
Don''t care one way or the other - it takes all kinds
Not fond of it - he brings it, but we could turn it down a bit
Hate it - he''s a showboat jerk

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  06:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of you already know what I voted for - I am a huge fan of Ovechkin's, and think he is a very, very special talent and player.

The key for me is that his boyhood excitement spills over into all facets of his game, whether it be laying down a good check, cheering on a teammate's fight, or scoring a goal. And most people see that . . . his celebrations, while not always what I would want a player to do, come from a genuine and good place: he has only one love, and that is playing hockey.

Let's hope this guy never gets married.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  06:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone is going to take his head off sooner rather than later. Show some respect to your opponent, especially their goalie. If Dale Hunter was playing he would have 'pat lafontained' him lol.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  06:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Someone is going to take his head off", a direct quote from the great Don Cherry.

Bulls***.

1. For Cherry to try and instigate goon behaviour by inciting players to "take his head off" is very, very wrong. I cannot look at it any other way than that.

2. Don't you think players have tried to lay out the best player in the world right now? lol Seriously skilled skater and great eyes for seeing the ice, Ovechkin plays at full speed and plays with grit. This is no Savard you're trying to hit, this is a big man who can hurt you physically and kill you on the scoreboard. The only way I think someone tries to run him and is actually successful is if they do it after play has stopped.

3. Dale Hunter was a skilled goon. His kind of hockey does not belong in the game of hockey. LaFontaine was an excellent, skilled player who was injured as a result of exactly this kind of moronic mentality.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  07:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I both agree and disagree with Cherry on this.

1) If it's a big goal, then I am all for the celebration. 50th of the season, first career hat trick, overtime or late game winner. All are fine to celebrate as much as one wants.

2) If and when it's a blow out, celebrating a goal is completely stupid and disrespectful. Every team from time to time get blown out. The teams with class have players who do not rub it in.

I look back to a different sport for an analogy. Barry Sanders had 109 touchdowns in his career, and many football pundits will tell you that he never once spiked the ball. He was known for his on the filed humility and prefered to celebrate and congratulate his team mates.

Now, I am not saying I am not a fan of the over the top celebrations. Some of them are great. But most of them are garbage(including the hot stick attempt by Ovechkin after his 50th goal). That being said, Ovechkin is the type of player that draws enough excitement through his play and does not need the celebrations. It would be more effective and belittling to the opponent to see a guy like Ovechkin do something spectacular only to have the normal team get together and skate to the bench.
Kinda like the attitude that I've done it before, I'll do it again, and it's not that big of a deal. it's easy, come and try to stop me.

Go to Top of Page

Guest7913
( )

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  08:31:14  Reply with Quote
I don't really care one way or the other about his celebrations, but the 50 goal celebration he did was stupid and uncalled for. When he can score 50 goals in less then 39 games, then he can do his hotstick celebration or whatever floats his boat. But he doesn't need to go all crazy over goals that don't matter.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  10:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Imagine if ovechkin was a Canadian. Or someone like Iginla or Heatley was doing these celebrations. Does Cherry make a comment? Probably not. Or if he does, its to say how much the kid like the game, and how passionate he is about it. I like the Ovie shows his emotion, i wish more players would show that much excitement. Although i remember when Washington was beating Pheonix 5-1, Ovechkin scores a goal, and celebrates like he normally does. Little over the top. There is a point when celebrating goals becomes disrespectful, and maybe thats what Cherry was talking about. I remember back in the Bantam years, if we were losing bad, and another player scored and hot dogged, we took numbers. ovie is a pretty tough guy tho, so i wonder if players are a little hesitant to try and hit him.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  10:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo, Im not saying actually do to OV what Hunter did to LaFontaine, that was just horrible, but that is GOING to rub some guys the wrong way. If I was a player on the Tampa Bay Lighting im giving this guy a mouthful of elbow next time in the corner. If he did this in Toronto Id want to go after him myself. lol. f***in a******, try to embarass the other team with that crap. OV is all about OV. Even Mike Green wanted nothing to do with that planned celebration, he had to practically pick him up off the ice cause he was so embarassed.

OV wouldnt even play in the all star game unless Komisarek gave him #8 even though the game was in Montreal. He's selfish and this will come back to haunt not only himself, but the Washington Capitals. Maybe im way off but I think Don is right. He is going to get a real stiff cheap shot from someone eventually.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  10:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasher

Imagine if ovechkin was a Canadian. Or someone like Iginla or Heatley was doing these celebrations. Does Cherry make a comment? Probably not. Or if he does, its to say how much the kid like the game, and how passionate he is about it. I like the Ovie shows his emotion, i wish more players would show that much excitement. Although i remember when Washington was beating Pheonix 5-1, Ovechkin scores a goal, and celebrates like he normally does. Little over the top. There is a point when celebrating goals becomes disrespectful, and maybe thats what Cherry was talking about. I remember back in the Bantam years, if we were losing bad, and another player scored and hot dogged, we took numbers. ovie is a pretty tough guy tho, so i wonder if players are a little hesitant to try and hit him.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.

If Dany Heatley did this Cherry would be all over him. Don may seem racist as hell and he is, but he would absolutley disgusted if a canadian boy did that. He would be saying, 'what is he, european? dont do that crap kid!". He always promotes the bobby orr way to celebrate, walk back to your bench and dont rub it in the other guys face.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  11:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there is a fine line here . . . the line between pure love and excitement and joy for the game; and trying to rub it in other people's faces.

If the supposed "code" is actually enforced, as Cherry says it is, the players would be able to quickly judge for themselves whether Ovechkin has or is ever crossing that line.

I have yet to hear of a player in the game today try to take a run at Ovie after one of his celebrations . . . and that speaks volumes, to me. Yes, he may not do it the way you or would like it to be done, exactly. BUT - the intent is not to rub it in other guy's faces, and the players see that.

I think Ovie's pre-planned celebration (for his 50th - I thought that was allowed then, no Beans and MattRoberts?) might have been a bit over the top for a reason - he did it to bother Cherry, potentially making his head explode on TV this Saturday night. I can't wait to see it . . . and really, maybe that's what it was all about last night.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  13:27:54  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

OV wouldnt even play in the all star game unless Komisarek gave him #8 even though the game was in Montreal. He's selfish and this will come back to haunt not only himself, but the Washington Capitals. Maybe im way off but I think Don is right. He is going to get a real stiff cheap shot from someone eventually.

komisarek should just be glad everyone in montreal voted for the all star game and he made it....and the likes of mike green didnt....so letting ovechkin wear #8 only makes sense....cause he will be wearing it in quite a few all star games to come and komisarek...well hope you have plenty of memories because that should be your first and last appearance.

on the topic of his celebration......so he has fun playin hockey whats wrong with that? im sure people will try and take a run at him ...problem for them is that he is just as likely to run them right back.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  13:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am all for youthful passion and exuberance, that's what makes for exictement in anything, sport, work, family....whatever, but....
contrived b******* like the 'hot stick' crap?, that's just immature, it screams of childish arrogance, Tito Ortiz, Terrel Owens kind of arrogance, two fine examples of how to take sportmanship out of sports, I guess they have a Russian houseguest now....

I wouldn't go so far as to say someone should get him, but it would be nice if a Fedorov could pull him aside and let him know what respecting the game is about....his whole career has been about that, and he was every bit as exciting and talented as Ovechkin...

I'm not a Cherry fan when he starts getting into the whole, 'it's the european's fault', rhetoric, but he does have a point, does anyone remember a Canadian player ever celebrating in a way that would be considered close to this? Ever?
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  13:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Well, there is a fine line here . . . the line between pure love and excitement and joy for the game; and trying to rub it in other people's faces.

If the supposed "code" is actually enforced, as Cherry says it is, the players would be able to quickly judge for themselves whether Ovechkin has or is ever crossing that line.

I have yet to hear of a player in the game today try to take a run at Ovie after one of his celebrations . . . and that speaks volumes, to me. Yes, he may not do it the way you or would like it to be done, exactly. BUT - the intent is not to rub it in other guy's faces, and the players see that.

I think Ovie's pre-planned celebration (for his 50th - I thought that was allowed then, no Beans and MattRoberts?) might have been a bit over the top for a reason - he did it to bother Cherry, potentially making his head explode on TV this Saturday night. I can't wait to see it . . . and really, maybe that's what it was all about last night.

No one will take a run at him after a goal because thats as dirty as it gets. a 25 game suspension easy. Also, I dont think he had done anything prior to this that was nearly as silly. Jumping into the glass is pretty cool, but this hot stick crap was pretty gay if you ask me. He did it right beside tampas net, i mean come on buddy. How self centered do you have to be?

In all honesty, it really doesn't make me think any worse of ovechkin, nor do I think that this should really be that big of a deal, but it just goes against everything I grew up with in the game of hockey. I was always taught to be a good sportsman and to never showboat or try and embarass someone because it will lilley come back to haunt you. Thats all im saying. Its entertaining and all i guess, but its pretty immature.

If he tried something like this in the olympics against canada, I would want someone to crack him one good the next time he stepped on the ice.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  14:19:23  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

I

I'm not a Cherry fan when he starts getting into the whole, 'it's the european's fault', rhetoric, but he does have a point, does anyone remember a Canadian player ever celebrating in a way that would be considered close to this? Ever?

theo fleury...
burrows has a bunch of horrible celebrations this year as well.
the foglino family jump
and so on and so on

its not just russians don
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  16:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4803

quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

I

theo fleury...
the foglino family jump
and so on and so on

its not just russians don

Actually, I think Ovechkin has already done a version of all of those mentioned above, and I got no problem with that sort of 'spontaneous' celebratory action, it's the the wanna be theatrics that came along with the single 'hot stick' crap....

I usually thoroughly enjoy his goal celebrations, the one after he scored from his back and sat up and cajoled the crowd into cheering louder, was fantastic. The chest bumps into the glass, all showing his love for scoring, great stuff.

The Foligno family jump was only done once by Nick, if I remember the interview correctly, and that was done to pay homage to his Dad...pretty cool actually.
Who's Burrows? just kidding, his obviously haven't made the highlight reels enough, you may be right, I can't judge without seeing.
I'm still undecided if Fleury's racing, sliding celebration was contrived, or if he's just so short, the perception was skewed....

I still don't think many, if any players, had ever gone to the extent Ovie did with this 50 goal deal, and I just hope it doesn't become the norm.....
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  16:23:58  Reply with Quote
thing is 50 goals isnt the norm.....hes the only one with 50...and the only one consistently scoring almost an avg of 50 a year at the moment...so for that reason i think he can celebrate the half centruy mark...if it was his 51st i would agree with you that it was a bit much but in the end he was just trying to have a little fun....and maybe piss of cherry just a little bit
Go to Top of Page

Guest0973
( )

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  17:58:47  Reply with Quote
I personally love ovie, and celebrations in the NHL are a lost art.. it brings entertainment to the game!! so im fine with him celebrating, but for that exact cele? i didnt like it, he should have come up with a better one... we'll see what cele he goes with when he gets his 50 next year!
Go to Top of Page

Jephman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  19:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think premeditated celebrations (Terrell Owens comes to mind) like Ovechkin's 50th goal are terrible, but I don't mind him jumping in the glass or fist-pumping like he normally does, because those types of celebrations let his emotions flow out of him, and show his passion for the game.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4658
( )

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  02:55:28  Reply with Quote
Cherry should shut his big trap...its good for the game
Go to Top of Page

Guest6030
( )

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  09:45:08  Reply with Quote
It's ok to celebrate when you score a goal, but not to the point were you are intimidating other players and when you think you;re all that even if you are or close to be. I mean his last celebration was way too much. Heres my explanation. Great stars do not need to let others know that they are great through their celebration but what they can do on the ice.
Celebrating like that has no place for hockey. Yes its done in football, basketball, etc, does not mean it;s right. One day he will be badly hurt and I hope it happens because to me, Ovechkin is a gready selfish, show off. He;s great, yes, but he;s what he is. You dont see oither superstars celebrate like that, cause they dont need to. People know they are superstars, they got class, Ovechkin clearly lacks some. But hopefully he will eventually learn the hard way.
Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

Great8
Top Prospect

1 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  10:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keeping this short.

His normal goal celebrations are fine. He brings passion to the game and the fans love it. Had he been Canadian, Cherry might not come down too hard on him. I do like the guy, but the 50th goal (It is a milestone) celebration was a bit over the top. One out of 50+.... Who Cares.. Just be thankful we have a player like that to watch.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  13:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I agree with Great8 here. I didn't mind it this time, it made me laugh. If you score 50 and it's in your personality to have a ceremony afterward, that's fine with me. BUT not every goal. His usual goal celebrations are fine with me, they're definitely bigger than most but still within reason. I love his passion, he loves life and loves the game, good for him. As a fan I find him very entertaining. And wasn't bothered by this one...this time.

However don't kid yourself, if you do this too often you're going to piss someone off who will make it their mission to make you pay so that you don't do it again. Some guys will let it roll off their backs, while others will be personally insulted by the celebration...those are the ones he needs to watch out for.

But in the end I voted for "it takes all kinds".
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  14:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its part of the game. A goal is a celebration, the fans celebrate it, the coach the bench and the players should too. Don Cherry needs to take a pill, like he never celebrated every time Bobby Orr scored a goal while he was coaching Boston. Crosby complains about Ovechkins celebrations and he does it too. Seriously guys like Ovechkin, Selanne, Jagr, Mike Foligno their celebrations are no where near the extreme of Football of Soccor celebrations are
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  14:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Slozo, Im not saying actually do to OV what Hunter did to LaFontaine, that was just horrible, but that is GOING to rub some guys the wrong way. If I was a player on the Tampa Bay Lighting im giving this guy a mouthful of elbow next time in the corner. If he did this in Toronto Id want to go after him myself. lol. f***in a******, try to embarass the other team with that crap. OV is all about OV. Even Mike Green wanted nothing to do with that planned celebration, he had to practically pick him up off the ice cause he was so embarassed.

Ovechkin is way better than Komisarek... Komisarek did not desserve the allstar game at all the only guy on Montreal that deserved to play the allstar game was Lang and maybe Markov keyword "maybe"
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  15:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
who cares what Cherry thinks he's not hockey, he's not God. He's just an annoying old man that blabbers on too much about nothing and doesn't give Ron a chance to speak. I'd rather listen to a bunch of cats try to sing christmas songs than listen to Don Cherry's bullsh!t
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  16:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not a right or wrong question. It's a matter of personal taste.

I loved Bourque, but I wasn't a huge fan of his celebrations. Thats me though (but I was so happy when he scored that I didn't let it bother me too much).

Anyway, this is a slight nuance in wording, but, to me, its not so much a matter of overboard celebrating being "disrespectful" as it a matter of overboard celebrating "not being respectful".

Some of you are probably laughing and saying what the hell is andyhack talking about now.

Well, what Im getting at is that we shouldn't be focusing so much on the negatives about an overboard celebration as the positives of a more modest celebration. Sports being sports, people are sometimes going to celebrate, and sometimes its going to get a bit Ovechkin-ish (especially in this day and age), but, in my humble opinion, we should give a lot of credit to the guys who celebrate in a more modest way as that actually shows a certain degree of consideration (and respect) for the guys on the other side hanging their heads.

Edit - Cherry is a character, yes, who certainly is open to all types of criticism, but just calling him an "old man" - well that's a bit disrespectful

Edited by - andyhack on 03/21/2009 16:06:19
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  20:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Edit - Cherry is a character, yes, who certainly is open to all types of criticism, but just calling him an "old man" - well that's a bit disrespectful

disrespectful maybe but he does it to himself he's not a very respected guy
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  22:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In honesty, I could care less.

I watch the game to see nice plays, beautiful goals, hard hits and a little bit of fighting / rough play.

As for a 2-15 second celebration, be it of any sort, I can live with.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  07:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Don Cherry has been an icon in the sport we all claim to love for decades. You may not agree with this statements or ideas, but for the sake of that game you love, show some respect!

2) I agree that if it was a Canadian kid doing the over the top celebrations, Cherry would not only be against it, but more vocal about it. I would suggest he would almost expect a non-Candian player to be involved in stuff like this and for a Canadian to be involved would throw that"old man" right off the edge.

3) I don't think anyone is going to question celebrating goals. It's going to happen. I think what the point is that there is a huge difference of scoring a goal in the final minute of the game to tie or take the lead and having a passionate celebration or scoring a goal into an empty net in the final minute of a game to add to an already 2 goal lead. The latter is garbage. If you disagree, I have to question your value of sportsmanship.

4) If you think of the best of the best historically in any sport (Jordan, Magic, Bird, Gretzky, ORr, Rice, Montana, Babe Ruth, Pete Rose, etc) these guys NEVER celebrated to show up the other team. Sure they celebrated in record breaking or championship winning performances, but that's it. The greatest of the greats alway know that the most painful thing to do to another team is to hurt them on the scoreboard. That's the bottom line.

It's unfortunate, because I really like Ovechkin, but I do wish he would learn a touch of humility. I'm not saying don't celebrate, I'm saying do it tastefully and when it's appropriate.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9109
( )

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  08:26:01  Reply with Quote
K EVERYONE LETS NOT FORGET THAT THESE PEOPLE ARE GROWN MEN AND PAID MILLIONS TO DO WHAT THEY DO... IF A CELEBRATORY DANCE MAKES EM WANNA CRY THEN MAYBE THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN BORN FEMALE. everyone needs to be offended by something all the time, god this is annoying
Go to Top of Page

Guest6030
( )

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  08:40:41  Reply with Quote
Who cares about Don Cherry here, its not about what he things but about what we think. I think that Ovechkin is allowed to celebrate like all other players but within certain limits. The last celebration, he made an ass of himself. Mike Green said that OV wanted to include him in the celebration but Green backed off, that tells you alot. That means he went over the limit. You are allowed to celebrate dont get me wrong, but when you celebrate in a way that you think you're a GOD and the best player in the world like he did, thats totally wrong...most people in this forum either dont understand that or they are so PRO OV fans that they dont want to admit it was the wrong thing to do.

Go to Top of Page

Guest6030
( )

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  08:44:05  Reply with Quote
Guest 9109, its not about being offended, its about you being a professional and acting like one and i think OV lacks class. Do you recall the last game against the PENS? The caps lost in a shootout and Crosby scored the game winner and OV missed. After the game, OV avoided the media..so if you put this incident with his goal celebrations, it clearly shows he lacks class and does not act like a true professional.
Go to Top of Page

deadalive
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  09:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems most people seem to like the celebrating, but those who dislike it are the most vocal... Has anyone heard the term 'There's no such thing as bad press.' ? In a time where so many american teams are struggling, having hockey make the hilights down there can't possibly be a bad thing. I'm all about the integrity of the game and all that, but where's the integrity in having franchises fold? Ovie sells tickets. Us even having this discussion is great for the game. Therefore bring on the celebrations!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6030
( )

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  15:13:00  Reply with Quote
If it were Crosby celebrating like that or another star, you would hear it...but because its OV noone seems to care. There are many things we can talk about, we dont need to have OV's celebration in the picture.
He's a great goal scorer but selfish and a showoff. The time where he will have more assists than goals will be the day when pigs will fly.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  16:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two quick points:

1. Guest 9109 - In a sense, I agree with you - it's probably silly to get too riled up by Ovie's dance as even if you can make the argument that it was "offensive", it's hard to say that it was "terribly offensive". BUT, lets say he would have simply had a more modest celebration - would that not have been classier?

2. Guest 6030 - I don't know about you, but I'm kind of hoping that pigs will fly one day, as it seems that A LOT of stuff is going to happen that day!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6030
( )

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  18:39:00  Reply with Quote
andyhack....OV is a hogger, not a play maker, he;s just a goal scorer so he will never get more assists than goals unless he plays on the same line with another OV.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  18:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

Crosby complains about Ovechkins celebrations and he does it too.

Just pointing out that I saw the interview with Crosby about Ovechkins 50th goal celebration and he said he didnt think there was anything wrong with it.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6373
( )

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  05:39:12  Reply with Quote
I think that there is a clear difference between genuine passion/excitement and insulting, spiteful behaviour and you can see it in a persons body language. Doing something like pretending your stick is a gun and shooting a member of the opposite team, insulting. Taking the term "hot stick" (he has a pretty hot stick right now) and giving it a literal twist, I dont see that as insulting. If it is simply celebrating in a way that is more than a group hug that you find insulting, I think thats immature. Not allowing someone to truly express his passion to the world? cmon. I think its a discraceful lack of control and respect when players lash out in frustration eg smashing their stick over the net or destroying a penalty box camera.

People say stuff like "this isnt football". reality check, how popular is football in the states? how unpopular is hockey? Maybe we need to be a little more like football.... AO is single handedly responsible for hockey being popular in Washington right now, and it's not just because he scores goals and wins. Ilya Kovalchuck is a better scorer than 99% of the guys in the league and he cant draw a crowd in Atlanta. Granted, they aren't winning, but Columbus is winning and Rick Nash doesn't bring people like AO does, not even close. Its the character. People dont chant for Ryan Getzlaf in the All Star skills comp.....

Hockey players say two things about what they do on the ice, they want to win, and they want to HAVE FUN so go have some fun FFS.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6373
( )

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  05:51:48  Reply with Quote
guest 4308,
"theo fleury...
the foglino family jump
and so on and so on

its not just russians don"

about Burrow's celebrations this year, if you are refering to his "bow and arrow" celebration, thats a tribute to Luc Bourdon.....I don't know if there is something else you are talking about but, you cant fault him for that one

Go to Top of Page

Guest9289
( )

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  08:01:59  Reply with Quote
Yes other players celebration showed lack of respect too. OV's celebration did not show lack of respect I think but what it did show is that he THINKS he;s HOT. OV thinks he's the greatest...he's not but even if he were the greatest, you should not celebrate in that way.

Why didn't Mike Green participate in his celebrations when OV asked him too? Because Mike Green is a different character, I'm sure he doesnt like it, he's not a show off. Doing those kinds of celebrations portrays you as being a show off, i have the hotest stick, im hot, etc. You get the picture.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  08:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont even think Don was hard on him. All he said was that OV is above that type of stuff and being the best player in the game should be enough. He didnt need to embarass tampa like that, this wasnt a game winning goal or a playoff ot goal. It got people talking, which is why i think he did it. So it worked in that respect. It could have been worse I guess, all in all I dont think the hot stick should be that big of a deal. If he keeps the ridiculous celebrations up though, someone will be gunning for him ala stevens on lindros.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page