Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Intriguing Finals Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9838
( )

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  08:00:40  Reply with Quote
Considering who's still left, what would you say would be the most intersting final (this isn't a discussion on whether or not a team will even make it out of the first round), I'll start with a few:

1) Boston vs San Jose (Thornton vs the team that gave up on him)
2) Detroit vs Pittsburgh (Rematch, and the Hossa factor)
3) New York vs Vancouver (Rematch '94)
4) Pittsburgh vs Chicago (Rematch '92 and Chicago's chance to put Toronto as the longest team without a cup, Chicago's drought is since '61)
5) Detroit vs New Jersey (Rematch '95, two teams with 7 cups between cups since 95)
6) Detroit vs Washington (Can Ovechkin do what Sid couldn't)
7) Anaheim vs Philly (I expect would be a blood bath, two toughest teams in the league)

Any other thoughts?

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  08:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
San Jose vs Boston is what i picked in my bracket pool. The top 2 teams from the regular season. That rarley seems to happen but I would like to see those 2 battle it out.

Pitt vs Vancouver would be a fun matchup to watch as well,

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  08:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vancouver vs. New Jersey (Luongo vs. Brodeur)

For an East final....

Pittsburgh vs. Washington (Crosby/Malkin vs. Ovechkin/Backstrom)

"Everytime you step out onto the ice, it's a clean slate, anyone can win"
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  09:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

Vancouver vs. New Jersey (Luongo vs. Brodeur)

For an East final....

Pittsburgh vs. Washington (Crosby/Malkin vs. Ovechkin/Backstrom)

"Everytime you step out onto the ice, it's a clean slate, anyone can win"

Although I agree that the Broduer vs Luongo would be intersting, that is where the interest would end. I don't think there are two more boring teams in the league to watch than Vancouver and New Jersey. If they are boring to watch against other teams, imagine how horrible the hockey would be to watch them play against each other for 4-7 games.

Pain.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  11:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If only you could have the Chicago - Calgary or Pits - Philly series as the finals that would be sweet. These are te best 2 series I have seen since the Calgary - Tampa final a few years back. They frickin hate each other out there.

But I think the best Finals would be Boston VS. Detroit lots o skill on both sides as long as Detroit doesn't get the cup again.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  06:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me, and I proudly say this with absolutely NO objectivity at all, any final with Boston in it would be intriguingly intriguing (you read that right).

The most interesting opponent for the Bs?

In this order:

1) Chicago - Two Original 6 teams who haven't won since before the Watergate break-in (in Boston's case) and before JFK's assassination (in Chicago's case). You could call this "The Battle of the Long Suffering Golden Oldies"

2) Vancouver - The Far West Canadian Hope that has never won a Cup against the Far East American Hope that has broken hearts for 35 plus years. You could call this "The Battle of the Salmons"

3) San Jose - The team that got Jumbo Joe against the team that dumped him. You could call this "The Battle of Mike O'Connell's Soul"

Edited by - andyhack on 04/27/2009 06:32:47
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  09:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, besides yearning for a match-up between Washington and Pittsburgh in the east (2nd round or final, doesn't matter), here are my dream match-ups:

1. Pittsburgh vs Detroit, with Pittsburgh winning
A re-match, first repeat final in a long time, Crosby and Malkin look for revenge, Hossa switched sides, etc. It would be even more intense than last year, too.

2. Washington vs Vancouver
A true Offense vs Defence match-up. A Canadian team versus the US capital's. Best scorer versus (arguably) best goalie. And both teams have made it before to the final without winning, so a new team gets the cup.

3. Chicago vs Boston
I totally agree with Andyhack, would be an awesome series. Original 6, two very exciting teams to watch. Both are loaded with skill, so it might be more of a speed vs physicality, although Boston isn't that slow and Chicago isn't that soft.

I'd like to put NJ and Brodeur to make the final and have a run at it . . . and NJ certainly has more offense to watch now. But I am just tired of the Devils, frankly.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page