Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Vancouver vs Chicago

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hanley6 Posted - 04/28/2009 : 20:00:25
Who you think is going to win this series and why?

Vancouver for sure is the dominant team in this series, I just don't see Toews and Kane being the remedy to beat Luongo, Sundin, the Sedins, Burrows, Demitra, Salo or Ohlund.

This should be an easy second round for Vancouver
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CaliforniaSeal Posted - 05/13/2009 : 22:37:53
Teams are known to pay players far beyond their market value. Whether it is shelling out tons for a player well beyond their prime (Sundin) or a goalie who has never played in the semi-finals (Luongo), teams will always shell out millions in hopes of securing a Stanley Cup contender. The player themselves should never be the blame for what the team shelled out for them. Blame Luongo for having a bad game but it is the management of the team that is responsible for the high priced earnings of Luongo. If it were as simple as whoever paid out the most for their players the Rangers would have had a dynasty by now.

Personally I would like to see all players paid the same and the big bucks be handed out each time you made a playoff round.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Guest5776 Posted - 05/13/2009 : 18:03:56
There in fact have been some fans here in Van calling for Luongo's head, mostly because of game 6 and the meltdown that it was for him. Those defending him need to keep in mind that he's the highest paid on the team and it's captain and with the money being spent on him, he needs to perform when it's needed most.

However, most of the banter here in Van today was on the Team 1040 sports talk radio and while a lot was to do with Luongo, it wasn't necessarily blaming him for the loss to Chicago. What they were discussing for the most part is whether or not a team can have a goalie making 7 million or more and still have enough left over for a good enough team to run for the cup? Look at the goalies who're still in the playoffs right now and none are making that kind of money. It's an interesting debate and could prob use a separate thread here if anyones interested in discussing?
Guest2975 Posted - 05/13/2009 : 11:53:46
Wow beans I think you just took both sides of your own arguement.
Beans15 Posted - 05/13/2009 : 11:42:20
quote:
Originally posted by rebekah

Beans15 - I haven't heard this about Luongo. We all know he knows he let his team down, personally I wouldn't make it any harder on him than he is already being on himself.

Secondly, what's wrong with us cheering for the last Canadian team? Canadians aren't patriotic enough as it is. Why is it that American's can be over-the-top patriotic but when it comes to the hockey playoffs Canadians can't be too? I think the majority of the people cheering for the last Canadian team (just because they're the only Canadian team left) is probably because they don't know hockey or other teams as well. Many people don't even watch the sport until the post-season.

There is nothing wrong with Cheering for a team that's Canadian just like there is nothing wrong with cheer for a team that is not Canadian. Bottom line, the majority of the players are Canadian. If I recall, when Anaheim won the Cup, they had more Canadians on their team that any other in the league.

rebekah Posted - 05/13/2009 : 11:26:21
Beans15 - I haven't heard this about Luongo. We all know he knows he let his team down, personally I wouldn't make it any harder on him than he is already being on himself.

Secondly, what's wrong with us cheering for the last Canadian team? Canadians aren't patriotic enough as it is. Why is it that American's can be over-the-top patriotic but when it comes to the hockey playoffs Canadians can't be too? I think the majority of the people cheering for the last Canadian team (just because they're the only Canadian team left) is probably because they don't know hockey or other teams as well. Many people don't even watch the sport until the post-season.
Beans15 Posted - 05/13/2009 : 09:33:12
I hear ya Seal, I don't understand the cheering for Canadian teams because you are a Canadian. Personally, I cheer for the teams I like because of other reasons I like them. Such as Chicago as I was a fan of Roenick, Savard, and Larmer.

I will never, ever cheer for Vancouver or Calgary UNLESS they are playing against Toronto. Those are my three least liked teams. Because they are in Canada makes no difference.

By the way, as I was waking from my slumber this morning, I hear the guy on the radio talking about fans in Vancouver calling for Luongo's head. Some people apparently want him traded. Has anyone else heard this???
CaliforniaSeal Posted - 05/13/2009 : 09:27:52
I am a big Black Hawks fan here but there is one thing I don't understand. Why is it in Canada does everyone have to root for a Canadian team? Growing up in the 70's I remember many people rooting for the Blackhawks when they went up against the Canadiens in 71 and 73. Now it seems everyone has to cling on to any Canadian team that's left in the playoffs. I didn't see this type of patriotism growing up.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Rambo2305 Posted - 05/13/2009 : 06:19:22
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

Who you think is going to win this series and why?

Chicago is easily the most underrated team this post season. They'll make the final, no problem

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Guest8228 Posted - 05/12/2009 : 12:20:26
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

Wrong as usual....
just1n Posted - 05/12/2009 : 09:54:38
That was easily Sundin's best game I think, the Canucks stepped it up in that game for sure but man - can't hang on to a lead, that was the issue for the whole series. The better team won for sure.

I hope the Hawks make it to the final.
Guest4948 Posted - 05/12/2009 : 08:08:25
Congrats to Chicago and their fans. Not about to agree that they're the better team but they're definitely the team playing better when it matters most. Don't get to see a lot of Chi games but they really impressed me, especially their D. We all knew they had some fantastic young forwards, but i think a lot of us are surprised at just how well their D played! Keith and Seabrook are absolute studs (i'm not at all a Campbell fan though) and showed it in those six games! Best of luck to them vs Det (assuming they finish off Anaheim)....should be a good Western final.......
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 05/12/2009 : 07:38:58
These playoffs are kicking so much ass

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
n/a Posted - 05/12/2009 : 04:42:19
In the end, Luongo just didn't play well enough. He had to have his A+ game, and he had to steal a game or two, and it just didn't happen. Sometimes it's experience and defence that wins it, but sometimes it's pure offensive firepower . . . when combined with pretty good goaltending, that is. Well, the goalies played about even this series, so Chicago wins it.

Detroit or Anaheim against a young, fast, skilled Chicago team - looks to be a very fun third round, youth vs experience.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest9932 Posted - 05/12/2009 : 02:24:53
Round 1.........
Vancouver swept St. Louis in the first round and they were ready to raise the cup based on Luongo stopping a St. Louis team loaded with such top notch defenseman as Woywitka, Weaver, Polak (not top 6 d by any stretch) and no Kariya or Brewer and you get the picture.
5 Goals against for a 1.20 average or something like that

Round 2.........
A few months ago Vanvouver beat Chicago on a Sunday afternoon 4-0. All the media and Vancouver fans were going on and on about how it was a statement game. Then going into the playoffs all they could say was "We want to play Chicago in the playoffs".......well you got it Vancouver Fans.......
A little more skill up front than St. Louis and on the back end with Seabrook, Campbell, Keith, Barker (Probably the best young D in the league bar none)= a power play unit that can score and overall in the series 22 Goals against.........
Thanks to all the Vancouver fans I won money off this last round!
Beans15 Posted - 05/11/2009 : 21:35:29
I can't remember who said it the other night on CBC, but it was alone the lines of Skill will eventually overcome. That is exactly what happened here. Chicago was simply a better hockey team. No disrespect to the Canucks. They played well and should be proud. But they just weren't good enough top to bottom. They needed Luongo to be better than the best and he wasn't. And Vancouver was outcoached.

The one thing I will say is that only 3 of the 6 games were truely boring to watch. So it's wasn't the most boring series to watch, but pretty close.

Shaping up to be Detroit vs. Chicago. Youth vs. Experience. Should be a good west Final.
rebekah Posted - 05/11/2009 : 21:07:04
Well... we had a good run. A little disappointing I'll admit, we really should have been on top of things and they weren't really playing their A+ game the way they needed to be.

What can I say?

Still a Canucks fan, and there's always next year.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 05/11/2009 : 07:03:57
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0806

Canucks are finished.
They were out of it immediately after signing Sundin.
He came in over-rated and did nothing but watch the games.
He broke whatever mo-jo Canucks had going - and they are paying the price right now.
Regardless of a good game here and there - he ruined Canucks chances of anything.
OVER-RATED - by Toronto media and fans, now Canucks are paying the price!

Well, he played well for the leafs, and if he isnt bringing the goods in vancouver than thats their problem. The nucks wanted a rub from a real team (just kidding nuck fans) and they picked up our 38 year old has-been. No one forced mike gilles to sign him. Hes had hip/groin problems for a couple of years, was getting up there in age and was used to playing in the east.

Its still not fair to lay the blame for everything negative at the feet of sundin. they are in the 2nd round of playoffs, and were one of the hottest teams in the second half of the season.

You want to make him a scapegoat when they lose, yet you dont want to give him any credit when they win.

I think your just trying to fire up a debate between sundin fans and yourself... there was already a long drawn out forum on that one...

IF the canucks come back and win the series on a sundin goal, will you take back what you said..? or go and hide...

Guest0806 Posted - 05/10/2009 : 07:49:07
Canucks are finished.
They were out of it immediately after signing Sundin.
He came in over-rated and did nothing but watch the games.
He broke whatever mo-jo Canucks had going - and they are paying the price right now.
Regardless of a good game here and there - he ruined Canucks chances of anything.
OVER-RATED - by Toronto media and fans, now Canucks are paying the price!
Beans15 Posted - 05/09/2009 : 22:21:29
Wow, I am shocked to say, great game to watch tonight!! Until the last 10 minutes it really could have gone either way.

I will admit that I did not give Vancouver enough credit at the start of this series. They have some serious speed and were grittier than I have seen them play (mostly against Edmonton). However, I gotta say, I still don't find them incredibly exciting to watch. I have made a point to watch every game of the series because I was talking so much on here.

It's gonna be really hard for Vancouver to come back and win in Chicago on Monday. There are going to be 22,000 freaking out and I think Chicago learned from the Calgary series about putting a team away. Stranger things have happened, but I beleive Canada's final hope for the Cup will be cleaing out their lockers on Tuesday.

Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 05/08/2009 : 08:06:13
Last nights game was easily the most boring playoff game this season. Absolutley terrible to watch. There were stretches that lasted minutes upon minutes without even anything resembling a shot on net. Just brutal.

I wish I had of stayed up for detroit/anaheim. 6-3 sounds alot more exciting than this...

Guest4948 Posted - 05/08/2009 : 07:56:33
Have to agree, Vancouver didn't exactly outplay Chicago last night, they just decided to defend and not attack whatsoever with a one goal lead and it bit them in the aZZ!!! Game two was like two different games. All Canucks for first 30, all Hawks for the next 30. It's kinda like the Van/Stl series, yeah was a sweep, but it's not as though the Canucks were blowing them away 5-1 each game? That series, quite like this one, could easily have gone a few more games!

Still think the Canucks hold the edge here, especially with home ice advantage. With Havlat's late goal, my Canucks in 5 theory was shot dead, however, i still think they take this series. Hopefully they go back to the attacking style of hockey we became used to this season (especially the last few months!).

*note, for those who claim the Canucks are boring, a trapping team, etc, you may have seen that last night and on a few occasions this year, but a team that ranked 11th out of 30 in goals for during the regular season can hardly be considered a boring, trapping team.......
n/a Posted - 05/08/2009 : 05:30:03
Finally, Beans - something we can agree on!

It's all about Saturday, for sure. Stock your fridge with beer, warm up the nachos and popcorn, and settle in for a whale of a game!

Small point (sorry, have to disagree on something here) - I really don't think Vancouver outplayed Chicago in all 4 games, specifically game 2. This last game I would call pretty even, it really could have gone either way and the score was reflective of that.

Beans15 Posted - 05/07/2009 : 19:54:32
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I think you are thinking of game 5, Beans, as being the "85% wins the series" game.

Game 4 could go to Chicago, and Vancouver would still have home ice advantage . . . and it's a best of three. I'd still bet on the Canucks winning.

Yep, now that I think about it, you are right. It's game 5. Guess we will see.

Momentum swing back to Chicago. If you are a Canuck, you gotta wonder what you gotta do to win. You completely out play the opposition in really all 4 games, but you are going home tied at 2 games each. Those kids will feed off of that and the Canucks are gonna be mad!!

Saturday will be the game that decides the series.
n/a Posted - 05/07/2009 : 17:43:16
I think you are thinking of game 5, Beans, as being the "85% wins the series" game.

Game 4 could go to Chicago, and Vancouver would still have home ice advantage . . . and it's a best of three. I'd still bet on the Canucks winning.

Beans15 Posted - 05/07/2009 : 16:27:25
I can't remember when I heard it, but on one of the play off games this year the sports caster said that the team who won game four has won something like 85% of the series in the past 20 years.

I don't think this series will be any different. Obviously, if Vancouver wins and goes up 3-1, it's highly unlikely they will lose the next three straight. Vancouver is a good enough team to win one out of 3 against any team in the league. However, if Chicago wins, I think it goes to them.

This is the TSN turning point game. The last game, Chicago beat themselves with turnovers and Vancouver contained Chicago effectively on defense.We will which game comes out tonight. The highly offensive, smart defensive Hawks, or the sharp forechecking, rock solid defensive Canucks.

I can't see Chicago having another poor game at home.
Guest8332 Posted - 05/07/2009 : 15:59:12
Series should already be 3-0 Vancouver! They just shat the bed when they had the lead. Up every game then they stop playing. Why?!!! So frustrating to watch. And to hear the Chicago players say they have to be more physical...gimme a break. If Chi plays more physical, Van may actually start to hit, too. It's in Chi's best interest to play a skilled, speed game, if they want to hit...this series is done in 5.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 05/07/2009 : 10:08:30
hehe, i was always pulling for the canucks to win this series. I just wanted to bug you a bit for hatin' on my leafs

I already have my autographed Sundin Leafs jersey, but if you wanted to send me a cancuks one, i wont be so worried about getting it dirty and ill have a sundin one to wear hehe.

Its nice to hear from the biggest fu<k Giraffe in the dumb dumb salad.

(trailer park boys kicks ass lol)

Guest2930 Posted - 05/07/2009 : 09:25:20
Matt my friend it's good to see you coming around. Welcome to Canuck Nation! Want me to send you a Canucks jersey with Sundin on it? Cheeseburger Walrus
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Vancouver is going up 3-1. I think the youth of the hawks is finally going to be exposed. Emotions will run high tonight, Chicago will take bad penalties. Luongo will allow 1 questionable goal to let the hawks back in the game, then shut the door. Sedins, Raymond and Kesler lead the way for the forwards, Bieksa remains a rock on the backend.

Byuflen (spelling, i know) will be the best hawk.

Just my prediction.

Score- Van 4 Chi 3

Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 05/07/2009 : 08:54:50
Vancouver is going up 3-1. I think the youth of the hawks is finally going to be exposed. Emotions will run high tonight, Chicago will take bad penalties. Luongo will allow 1 questionable goal to let the hawks back in the game, then shut the door. Sedins, Raymond and Kesler lead the way for the forwards, Bieksa remains a rock on the backend.

Byuflen (spelling, i know) will be the best hawk.

Just my prediction.

Score- Van 4 Chi 3

n/a Posted - 05/07/2009 : 04:44:35
Well, I was right on the victory, but Luongo didn't have to steal the show as I predicted - he was solid, but the defence in front was awesome. Just a great team effort.

That being said, I expect Chicago to pour on the offence tonight, and if Vancouver wants to win, Luongo will have to be spectacular.

I say Chi-town takes game 4 in this see-saw battle.

easy_mo_b Posted - 05/06/2009 : 15:33:19
You're right Beans.... Momentum has shifted back to the Canucks. If Chicago loses two in a row, it'll be hard to get back the momentum they need to take the series.

"F***ing machine took my quarter."
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 05/06/2009 : 11:52:34
Good points there beans. This game should have been Chicagos for the taking. Salo and Demitra out, Sundin playing hurt and not being very effective and being on Home ice should have meant a guaranteed win for the hawks. Van showed alot of character going into Chi Town and playing as well as they did. Good for them, cant wait for game 4.

Beans15 Posted - 05/06/2009 : 11:02:14
I haven't seen the numbers yet, but I would suggest that Chicago turned the puck over 3 to 1 compared to Vancouver. I don't think I have seen the Chicago defense turn the puck over as much as they did last night and the other big factor in the game was that Vancouver capitalized on the Chicago mistakes. Chicago did not capitalize on Vancouvers. How many delay of game penalties did Vancouver get and Chicago didn't punish them for it(especially with Salo out of the line up). I don't think Luogo was a bigger factor than Khabibulin. The difference was the Vancouver defense did not turn the puck over in the slot a half dozen times.

Momentum swing back to the Canucks. We will see how Chicago will respond next game. I am thinking, as we speak, that Quinville is bag skating the crap out of his defense. They have to play better and not turn the puck over.
Guest6196 Posted - 05/06/2009 : 10:11:44
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2930

Matt aren't you the Leaf fan that's born and raised in BC and are about 12 years old so not even old enough to recall any glory years whatsoever for your beloved Leafs? If I remember right your a Leafs fan because your dad is. My dad once lived in Atlanta but that didn't make me a Flames/Thrashers fan. Guys who don't cheer for their home team are a joke in my books so keep up your sad rants. Good luck with Burkie, you'll need it. Oh by the way since I'm not a real fan in your books I'll let you know I was a season ticket holder for years, I saw the Canucks knock out your crappy Leafs live in the Conference Final in 94, went to all of the games in the 82 run and I'd say it's safe to say I've seen more live playoff games then you've seen regular season games. Have you even been to Toronto to see your Leafs live? I'm definitely not a band wagon jumper Matt and I support my hometown team which is a lot more than I can say for you my friend.
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

or maybe your not used to real hockey fans continuing to follow the sport, even when their team is out. Considering you 'nuck fans are all bandwagon jumpers, and only care about hockey when vancouver is playing, this must be foreign to you.

I would not say if you don' cheer for your home team you are a joke. I live in Ottawa. Most people hear grew up cheering hard for the Toronto or Montreal. I cheer for Edm. Now that Ottawa has a team am I supposed to change my heart after all these years JUST because I live there. Give me a break. Who cares where you live in relation to who you cheer for.

I was in Van in 94, Van was wild but I would have to say nothing like edm when I was there for the cup run a few years back or Cal for there cup run. but in your mind I am a joke just because I do not cheer for Ottawa. Stupid
Guest9850 Posted - 05/06/2009 : 04:29:50
I know no one really gives a s*** but Toews is my 4th or 5th cousin and I love the Blackhawks. That is why I voted for Chicago. I know vancouver is winning the series but chicago is a very fast team and at times it seems like they can score a goal like nothing.
hanley6 Posted - 05/05/2009 : 21:08:12
Great game Vancouver wins 3-1, Chicago did out play Vancouver but Luongo was excellent as always... Although Khabinulin wasn't a pushover he too played a great game.

someone said earlier they wish Chicago would play Huet... If they did that it would be a cake walk for Vancouver

GO Canucks to more wins
Gusteroni Posted - 05/05/2009 : 13:09:04
Sami Salo being out is going to hurt the Canucks tonight. Luongo has no choice but to play perfect tonight having one less veteran defenceman (who has scored 3 goals also...I think). This series is showing signs of going to seven and it is going to be quite the showdown. Here's hoping Sundin will be more of a factor and play the way I know he can. I'm now saying Canucks in 7.

"There are only two seasons. Hockey season and not hockey season."
Rambo2305 Posted - 05/05/2009 : 06:44:15
Luongo will steal the show, but the Hawks will win it.

3-2 Blackhawks...

"Everytime you step out onto the ice, it's a clean slate, anyone can win"
n/a Posted - 05/05/2009 : 04:54:29
I agree about the momentum - Chicago has it, and they made Luongo look very human. Vancouver needs a big game in Chi-town tonight.

prediction: Luongo steals it.

Beans15 Posted - 05/04/2009 : 10:55:07
1. First of all there is no boring hockey team in the NHL, They all play at a level that you and I could only dream of performing in... I'm not a Vancouver fan at all, but they are exciting to watch, they have the goaltending, and a very hard working, hard nosed team...

2. The only reason why Chicago ended better (only by 4 points) than Vancouver in the Regular Season is because Luongo was injured November 22 and didn't play again until January 15. You said Chicago was ahead of Vancouver all season that's funny because Vancouver won there first 2 games Chicago lost there first 2 games. by November 22 Vancouver had 28 Points Chicago had 25. Chicago didn't go ahead of Vancouver in the Standings until December 16th but Vancouver tied them in the Standings on December 17th. Chicago took the lead again on December 19. March 17 Vancouver went ahead of Chicago in the Standings Vancouver 83 Points Chicago 81 Points. Chicago went ahead April 5

3. The Sedins combined against Chicago have 5 points in 2 games against Chicago in this series, not bad at all. so far in the Playoffs in 6 games the Sedin twins have 14 Points combined, thats pretty good...

series tied 1-1 so far still early but go Vancouver

1 - I emphatically disagree. There is significantly better hockey any place in Canada (be it high level Midget, The Junior Leagues, University, etc) compared to watching Minnesota, New Jersey, Vancouver, or Nashville. There it little to no style to the team play, and it's boring. I will literally fall asleep during games with any of these teams and be glued to the edge of my seat watching most any other game. Just because they play at a the highest level does not make it entertaining.

2 - Call me a liar for a couple of points here or there. My point was (which I think everyone understood except you) was that the teams were very very close through the entire regular season. I was justifying my differing opinion to your "cake walk" comment. This is in no way a "cake walk" for either team. No playoff series is. Even a 4 game sweep is generally a competative group of games.

3 - You are correct. The 14 points in 6 games combined is awesome for the Sedin's this playoff series. But what about the previous 86 playoff games they played where they had a combined 38 points?? They still have not proven to me that they are clutch playoff guys. And regardless of what they scored last game, it's wasn't enough.

The next couple of games will be very interesting. Chicago is heading home knowing that they can beat the Canucks and could have been coming up up 2-0 if not for about 2 minutes of weak play in the 3rd period of game 1. Scoring 6 goals on 35ish shots against Luongo also tells them he can be beat. Chicago has the momentum right now and Vancouver needs to come out strong in game 3 and take that momentum back.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page