Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 The Broad Street Bullies

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
willus3 Posted - 03/20/2007 : 18:28:56
How much respect do you afford the Flyers team of the seventies that won 2 Cups considering how they accomplished it?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hithere311 Posted - 03/27/2007 : 08:49:06
How can anyone say anything bad about the bullies?

The first expansion team to prove they could compete with the original 6, philly is a great hockey city, especially at the time. And you have to admit that the hockey played back in the early 70's is way better than what they play today. They were a very talented team.
andyhack Posted - 03/21/2007 : 20:25:27
To be fair, the Flyers had some talent besides Parent (Clarke, MacLeish, Barber, Leach to name a few), and they worked very hard as a team. Do I respect them less cause of their violent/dirty tactics? Yes. Do I have some respect for their accomplishment in '74 and '75. Yes to that too.

I find this issue of judging the violence a very tricky one, and I am of two admittedly contradictory positions on it. As you may have seen with my comments about Clarke's shameful display in the '72 Summit Series (in the Simon suspension thread), the non-hockey fan side of me finds the violence disgusting. As a hockey fan though, I love good tough hockey. The Flyers obviously crossed the line between "tough" hockey and "violent" hockey many times, BUT, let's not kid ourselves, the Flyers of that period just represent to the extreme a problem that goes way beyond just that one team. Violence occurs in the game and the line is very blurry. I think a lot of times we as hockey fans blur that line even further to justify the actions of the team/player for which we are cheering. My Big Bad Bruins of the late 70s may not have been as dirty as the Flyers but to say they weren't dirty at all would be overly biased on my part. Similarly, yes, even the clean "we saved hockey" Habs of the late 70s, were not 100% innocent in this department, and in later years Lemieux and Chelios did some things that one could easily call "Flyer-like".

As I say, I find this topic a tough one. A part of me wants to totally ignore what I just said and just enjoy hockey and "let the players play" as Cherry says. But the other part of me, probably the better part, knows that saying that means we will always have elements of that extreme Flyer team in the game.

Last point - you stats guys, take a look at Parent's stats in '74 and '75. Pretty amazing, and I don't think they even really tell the whole story of his greatness.
Guest4719 Posted - 03/21/2007 : 13:36:22
Broad Street Bullies = greatest hockey team every assembled
Mikhailova Posted - 03/21/2007 : 12:50:18
If they had no talent (aside from Parent), and instead won the Cup by playing dirty hockey, then they didn't deserve it. First of all, you have to be good HOCKEY players to win the Cup, not kickboxers, and second, if you didn't win the Cup based on your team's talent and skill, then you didn't really win it. Last I checked the winner of the Cup finals was supposed to be the team who played the best, not the team who played the dirtiest.
Beans15 Posted - 03/21/2007 : 12:44:18
Willus, I have not seen much video if it, so I am a poor judge. I agree with the CODE in hockey and handling things on the ice. I don't agree with dirty cheap play to win.
willus3 Posted - 03/21/2007 : 11:56:35
quote:
Originally posted by -oil-country-

Im not completely sure but i sort of know. Please explain further.

There were essentially two reasons for their success. Violence and the exceptional goaltending of Bernie Parent. They were nicknamed the BSB's for good reason. They were never the most talented team. Not by a wide margin. But they completely pummeled their opponents. It was dirty, terrible hockey.
Bernie Parent was fantastic though.
Guest9872 Posted - 03/20/2007 : 20:47:29
"Yes we are world champions. If they had won, they would have been world champions. We beat the hell out of a machine."

haha i luv it. thats what the head coach of the bullies said after they beat the soviets in 76. a game that saw the red army leave the game before the 1st intermission in protest to the physical badassness of the flyers
-oil-country- Posted - 03/20/2007 : 19:48:10
Im not completely sure but i sort of know. Please explain further.
willus3 Posted - 03/20/2007 : 19:39:51
Perhaps many reading this don't realize how they accomplished it.
Canucks Man Posted - 03/20/2007 : 18:38:42
I think any team that wins the cup deserves all the respect they can get. Regardless of how they got it.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page