Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 The Broad Street Bullies Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  18:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much respect do you afford the Flyers team of the seventies that won 2 Cups considering how they accomplished it?

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  18:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think any team that wins the cup deserves all the respect they can get. Regardless of how they got it.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  19:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps many reading this don't realize how they accomplished it.
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  19:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im not completely sure but i sort of know. Please explain further.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9872
( )

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  20:47:29  Reply with Quote
"Yes we are world champions. If they had won, they would have been world champions. We beat the hell out of a machine."

haha i luv it. thats what the head coach of the bullies said after they beat the soviets in 76. a game that saw the red army leave the game before the 1st intermission in protest to the physical badassness of the flyers
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  11:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by -oil-country-

Im not completely sure but i sort of know. Please explain further.

There were essentially two reasons for their success. Violence and the exceptional goaltending of Bernie Parent. They were nicknamed the BSB's for good reason. They were never the most talented team. Not by a wide margin. But they completely pummeled their opponents. It was dirty, terrible hockey.
Bernie Parent was fantastic though.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  12:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willus, I have not seen much video if it, so I am a poor judge. I agree with the CODE in hockey and handling things on the ice. I don't agree with dirty cheap play to win.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  12:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they had no talent (aside from Parent), and instead won the Cup by playing dirty hockey, then they didn't deserve it. First of all, you have to be good HOCKEY players to win the Cup, not kickboxers, and second, if you didn't win the Cup based on your team's talent and skill, then you didn't really win it. Last I checked the winner of the Cup finals was supposed to be the team who played the best, not the team who played the dirtiest.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4719
( )

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  13:36:22  Reply with Quote
Broad Street Bullies = greatest hockey team every assembled
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  20:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be fair, the Flyers had some talent besides Parent (Clarke, MacLeish, Barber, Leach to name a few), and they worked very hard as a team. Do I respect them less cause of their violent/dirty tactics? Yes. Do I have some respect for their accomplishment in '74 and '75. Yes to that too.

I find this issue of judging the violence a very tricky one, and I am of two admittedly contradictory positions on it. As you may have seen with my comments about Clarke's shameful display in the '72 Summit Series (in the Simon suspension thread), the non-hockey fan side of me finds the violence disgusting. As a hockey fan though, I love good tough hockey. The Flyers obviously crossed the line between "tough" hockey and "violent" hockey many times, BUT, let's not kid ourselves, the Flyers of that period just represent to the extreme a problem that goes way beyond just that one team. Violence occurs in the game and the line is very blurry. I think a lot of times we as hockey fans blur that line even further to justify the actions of the team/player for which we are cheering. My Big Bad Bruins of the late 70s may not have been as dirty as the Flyers but to say they weren't dirty at all would be overly biased on my part. Similarly, yes, even the clean "we saved hockey" Habs of the late 70s, were not 100% innocent in this department, and in later years Lemieux and Chelios did some things that one could easily call "Flyer-like".

As I say, I find this topic a tough one. A part of me wants to totally ignore what I just said and just enjoy hockey and "let the players play" as Cherry says. But the other part of me, probably the better part, knows that saying that means we will always have elements of that extreme Flyer team in the game.

Last point - you stats guys, take a look at Parent's stats in '74 and '75. Pretty amazing, and I don't think they even really tell the whole story of his greatness.

Edited by - andyhack on 03/25/2007 04:24:32
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  08:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can anyone say anything bad about the bullies?

The first expansion team to prove they could compete with the original 6, philly is a great hockey city, especially at the time. And you have to admit that the hockey played back in the early 70's is way better than what they play today. They were a very talented team.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page