Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Your dream team Canada

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stastnysforever Posted - 06/03/2007 : 14:11:00
Who would you pick to be on your team canada, you can pick retired players to

what do Calgary and a tea bag have in common- they're both only good for one cup
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gaint Robot Posted - 07/20/2007 : 18:23:25
yeah, he sounds like my Dad, althought my dad is a huge howie fan, he's see them as the best to play the game. he liked gordie's grit. and that elbow he was known for.
willus3 Posted - 07/20/2007 : 12:32:23
quote:

Best player ever, he thinks that Bobby Orr is the best. Same reason that you said in the other discussion, he was just a complete player. Bobby Orr's the only reason my dad started to play hockey witch made me start to play hockey.

Your Dad sounds like a very smart man.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
PainTrain Posted - 07/20/2007 : 12:12:05
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

Wow you old guy's are so smart I tell all this stuff to my dad and he says where do you learn this and I say ''Uhmm I read a lot''

So out of curiosity, who does your Dad think is the best ever?

Best player ever, he thinks that Bobby Orr is the best. Same reason that you said in the other discussion, he was just a complete player. Bobby Orr's the only reason my dad started to play hockey witch made me start to play hockey.
willus3 Posted - 07/20/2007 : 09:23:38
quote:

Wow you old guy's are so smart I tell all this stuff to my dad and he says where do you learn this and I say ''Uhmm I read a lot''

So out of curiosity, who does your Dad think is the best ever?

Gaint Robot Posted - 07/19/2007 : 21:15:10
i don't have a dream canadian team yet, i'll have to think about this for a few month's.
Gaint Robot Posted - 07/19/2007 : 21:13:10
no one can hold Orr's jock strap maybe Howie, and say hmmmmmmmm, his son's yeah they could do it.
Beans15 Posted - 07/14/2007 : 10:13:29
I agree that Kaberle couldn't hold Coffey's jock, but there isn't a d-man in history that can even come close to Orr. So I agree with Willus and Coffey couldn't hold Orrs jock simple because no player to this point could hold Orr's jock. Coffey was an average defenseman at best. Some think he was horrible, but I wouldn't go that far. He is definately not in the Hall of Fame for the same reasons Larry Robinson is. Being a huge 80's Oilers fan, I can easily say that Coffey was average, but nothing more than that. Maybe he could have been, but he wasn't. It just wasn't his playing style.

Speed wise, without question, Coffey is near or at the top. His passing wasn't amazing, but it was better than most. He was more of a take a break out pass at his blue line from Huddy and be in the opposition goalies face before the other teams defense had a clue what happened.

Many a goal that way or on the end to end rush. Also, he was magical at following the play. Gretzky, Kurri, and what ever guy they had on the other wing (Messier, Anderson, Semenko, Tikkanen) would break out three on two, and Coffey was brilliant at being that fourth guy into the play. Many of the players that are good at that today I would say learned that from guys like Coffey. It was effective offensively, but did create tons (and I mean tons) of two on one's the other way. It's good that Fuhr was the best goalie in the world at the time, and he saved many a Coffey pinch.

Man I miss that Oilers team.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Guest4795 Posted - 07/14/2007 : 07:31:00
quote:

So from what I hear Coffey is someone who could play forward but played defence, but on defence he would decide to jump into the rush witch would turn around into a quick 2 on 1. Was Coffey a great tape to tape passer like Thomas Kaberle? Would he ever kill penalties? I'm just really curious about this guy.

He was the fastest player on the ice when he played. Arguably the fastest skater of all time. So smooth, think Scott Nieds smooth but faster.

With his speed he was useful on PK and was used for it though not as the primary unit. Remember he can play D just that he chose to float to the offensive side alot and use his speed to get back in time. Sometimes he succeeded sometime he didn't.

Seems like some of those who slag his D skills just don't like the fact that he tended to play O alot rather than being a stay at home D. That and he played with three of the most dominant offensive force in the last 20 years (Wayne, Mario and Jagr). His abilities complements the offense or the offense complimented his abilities that is to be argued. But he was an above average D-man with incredible offensive capabilites. Some say he's top 10 of all time defensemen, some say top 20, others (Willus) thinks he's crap defender and couldn't hold Orr's jock strap.

Kaberle couldn't hold Coffey's jock strap, IMHO.
PainTrain Posted - 07/13/2007 : 22:36:19

So from what I hear Coffey is someone who could play forward but played defence, but on defence he would decide to jump into the rush witch would turn around into a quick 2 on 1. Was Coffey a great tape to tape passer like Thomas Kaberle? Would he ever kill penalties? I'm just really curious about this guy.
Beans15 Posted - 07/13/2007 : 17:03:56
I am thinking that Sather did not move Coffey up because he didn't have room up front for Coffey to get any effective ice time. He would have been playing behind Gretzky, Anderson, Messier, and Kurri at least. You had to throw Semenko out there to protect the kids too. So Coffey would have been 2nd line at best.

The Oilers basically played with 4 forwards and a d-man through the 80's as their premier line. Many, many times there were two on one's against the Oilers with only Huddy and Fuhr left to defend.

God I miss those 7-5 shoot outs every night. That was seriously fun to watch!

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Kashmire Posted - 07/13/2007 : 13:02:21
Heh, just following the trend. He is practically a defensemen already. He was made for defense. If we were sticking to positions His spot would have been for Eddie Shore or Scott Neidermayer. All this long with the fact that I highly doubt he can play with the other forwards on my list. He would slow down the pace and provide less scoring effort.
PuckNuts Posted - 07/13/2007 : 12:11:11
Another position switch...B. Gainey on Defense...

Just curious why ?

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Kashmire Posted - 07/13/2007 : 12:01:41
FORWARDS
M. Lemeiux - W. Gretzky - G. Howe
M. Bossy - J. Thornton - Bobby Hull
S. Yzerman - P. Esposito - J. Sakic
M. Messier - M. Dionne - A. Oates

DEFENSE
B. Orr - D. Harvey
R. Bourque - B. Park
B. Gainey - S. Stevens

GOALIES
G. Hainsworth
P. Roy
M. Brodeur (3 since this is for the Olympics..right?)
willus3 Posted - 07/13/2007 : 10:54:09
quote:

If Coffey would have been so good in the forward position why did he play defence? Why didn't a coach regonize his skill he could have up front?

Not sure, but Scotty Bowman did recognize his lack of ability on defense.

PainTrain Posted - 07/13/2007 : 10:27:58
If Coffey would have been so good in the forward position why did he play defence? Why didn't a coach regonize his skill he could have up front?
willus3 Posted - 07/12/2007 : 14:16:37
quote:
[i]
Haha can you explain why Willus?

See Beans response. He pretty much nailed it.

willus3 Posted - 07/12/2007 : 14:13:50
quote:
Originally posted by SlowShot

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Last time I checked, Brian Leetch is American.

Still a great hockey player, but you might have a hard time getting him on this team!

Ya i kinda forgot since he is one of my all time most favorite players i kinda like to know him as canadian! I guess than Ill fill in his posistion with larry robinson.

Pickup hockey pool

Robinson is a far better choice anyway.

SlowShot Posted - 07/12/2007 : 12:09:55
quote:

Still a great hockey player, but you might have a hard time getting him on this team!

Ya i kinda forgot since he is one of my all time most favorite players i kinda like to know him as canadian! I guess than Ill fill in his posistion with larry robinson.

Pickup hockey pool
willus3 Posted - 07/12/2007 : 12:01:34
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:

I'll take him

If I made a GOAT US team...

Leetch-M. Johnson-Roenick
Modano-Broten-Morrow
D. Christian-LaFountaine-Ramsey
Drury-Cole-Tkachuk

Chelios-Suter
Housley-M. Howe

Brimsek
Miller

It's not as powerful as a GOAT Canadian team, but it's not bad

So you're moving a d-man up to wing on your team too?

Mikhailova Posted - 07/12/2007 : 09:58:39
quote:

I'll take him

If I made a GOAT US team...

Leetch-M. Johnson-Roenick
Modano-Broten-Morrow
D. Christian-LaFountaine-Ramsey
Drury-Cole-Tkachuk

Chelios-Suter
Housley-M. Howe

Brimsek
Miller

It's not as powerful as a GOAT Canadian team, but it's not bad
Beans15 Posted - 07/12/2007 : 07:58:09

SlowShot Posted - 07/11/2007 : 22:53:57
Bobby Hull, Mario Lemieux, Gordie Howe
Brian Trottier, Wayne Gretzky, Mike Bossy
Phill Espisito, Mark Messier, Marcel dionne Guy Lafleur,Jean Beliveau, Maurice Richard

Bobby Orr, Eddie Shore
Ray Bourque, Denis Potvin
Tim Horton, Larry Robinson

Broduer
Broda

Pickup hockey pool
PainTrain Posted - 07/11/2007 : 22:29:21
If you were doing other good lines the ''French Connection'' line would be good.
PuckNuts Posted - 07/11/2007 : 20:06:07
quote:
Why wouldn't you play Elmer Lach with Maurice Richard since they had good chemistry?

I based my lines on the best to last...the first line being the best, and so on...

If I had to pick lines that played together then I would have selected the G.A.G. line as my number one line...

- - Marshall McLuhan

PainTrain Posted - 07/11/2007 : 15:01:09
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

quote:

All I know is Elmer Lach is a playmaker, is Marcel Dionne or Steve Yzerman snipers in your mind? Sorry I wouldn't know I'm too young.

Yes I would say that Elmer Lach was a top assist man...

Snipers for Yzerman, and Dionne, I think so...

Yzerman 60+ Goals twice
50+ goals 3 times, and a total of 692...

Dionne 50+ goals six times
40+ goals 4 times, and a total of 731...

- - Marshall McLuhan

Why wouldn't you play Elmer Lach with Maurice Richard since they had good chemistrey?
Beans15 Posted - 07/11/2007 : 09:29:30
Paul Coffey would have been an amazing winger. With his speed and stick handling ability, it would have been like watching Denis Savard. Coffey also had a decent shot. I think he would have been a 60-70 goal scorer as a forward playing with Gretzky or Lemieux.

PuckNuts Posted - 07/11/2007 : 07:07:57
quote:

All I know is Elmer Lach is a playmaker, is Marcel Dionne or Steve Yzerman snipers in your mind? Sorry I wouldn't know I'm too young.

Yes I would say that Elmer Lach was a top assist man...

Snipers for Yzerman, and Dionne, I think so...

Yzerman 60+ Goals twice
50+ goals 3 times, and a total of 692...

Dionne 50+ goals six times
40+ goals 4 times, and a total of 731...

- - Marshall McLuhan

PainTrain Posted - 07/10/2007 : 22:59:20
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by stastnysforever

quote:

Paul Coffey, Wayne Gretzky, Mike Bossy
Michel Goulet, Mark Messier, Guy Lafleur
Steve Yzerman, Jean Beliveau, Maurice Richard

Bobby Orr, Brad Park
Doug Harvey, Denis Potvin
Larry Robinson, Eddie Shore

Ken Dryden
Patrick Roy

why would you have paul coffey playing forward?

avs are gonna win the cup this year

On my team he would be a winger.

Haha can you explain why Willus?
willus3 Posted - 07/10/2007 : 21:07:35
quote:
Originally posted by stastnysforever

quote:

Bobby Orr, Brad Park

Ken Dryden
Patrick Roy

On my team he would be a winger.

stastnysforever Posted - 07/10/2007 : 20:25:24
quote:

Bobby Orr, Brad Park

Ken Dryden
Patrick Roy

PainTrain Posted - 07/10/2007 : 20:01:17
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

There is a method to my madness for adding him to my list...

Clue...

- - Marshall McLuhan

willus3 Posted - 07/10/2007 : 18:26:00

Bobby Orr, Brad Park

Ken Dryden
Patrick Roy

stastnysforever Posted - 07/10/2007 : 13:47:19
I should change my first and fourth lines to: Lecavalier-Gretzky-Messier
and Crosby-Paul stastny-Cheechoo for chemistry, the way I see it you don't want a bunch of great playmakers who don't know how to score, or a bunch of guys who can all score but don't know jhow to pass the puck, and the only reason Iginla is in there is because he goes great with sakic

PuckNuts Posted - 07/10/2007 : 11:41:26
There is a method to my madness for adding him to my list...

Clue...

- - Marshall McLuhan

PainTrain Posted - 07/10/2007 : 11:17:51
PuckNuts I love you! HaHa Just kidding but honestley I respect you so much for putting Elmer Lach on you're team. He is my third cousin and grew up in Nokomis where my mom is from. He was a major reason for Maurice Richard's success. Good Job PuckNuts.
Beans15 Posted - 07/10/2007 : 10:32:39
The age thing I totally agree with. For example, Cheechoo doesn't make most current all star teams.

I missed Bossy and Harvey. I would put Harvey in over Park and Bossy in over Yzerman.

PuckNuts Posted - 07/10/2007 : 09:22:16
FORWARDS
M. Lemieux - W. Gretzky - Bobby Hull
M. Bossy - M. Richard - G. Howe
M. Messier - P. Esposito - J. Sakic
E. Lach - M. Dionne - S. Yzerman

DEFENSE
B. Orr - D. Harvey
T. Horton - L. Robinson
R. Bourque - P. Coffey

GOALIES
M. Brodeur
P. Roy

EDIT - You can tell your age by the team you pick...

- - Marshall McLuhan

Beans15 Posted - 07/10/2007 : 08:52:41
Lemieux-Gretzky-Messier
Howe-M.Richard-Bobby Hull
Clarke-Esposito-Brett Hull(yes, he was born in Canada!)
Sakic-Yzerman-Lefleur

Orr-Bourque
Coffey-Robinson
Neidermayer-Park

Roy
Brodeur

Mikhailova Posted - 07/10/2007 : 07:03:24
Frank
stastnysforever Posted - 07/09/2007 : 20:00:05
Which Mahovlich?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page