Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Poll - Should the NHL Institute Bigger Nets? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  09:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Scoring is down in the NHL this year, from 6.1 goals per game to 5.8 goals per game. The League is seriously considering make the nets bigger. Good idea or bad idea?

Choices:

Good Idea
Bad Idea

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  10:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah they should, if they let goalies have rifles.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9641
( )

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  10:51:20  Reply with Quote
ridiculous idea. Is the NHL nieve or just plain brain dead? It isnt the ammount of goals in a game that make a good game great.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  11:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad idea--the players managed to score 6.1 goals per game LAST year, it's not like it's impossible. "Oh no! They're scoring 0.3 goals per game less this year! Let's make the nets bigger!" Ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  12:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm ok with it as long as the shape stays the same. that bubbled look is rediculous! just build it 1 inch taller and 2 inches wider.

Let's face it, even with the smaller gear goalies started wearing last year, goalies are a lot bigger than they were in the past. it used to be that a guy Ken Drydens size was a rarity but now it's the norm.

slightly bigger nets good, weird shaped nets bad.

Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  13:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont think they should the goalies are younger than before and now there better its not the nets fault or the players the goalies are just better
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  13:51:41  Reply with Quote
.3 goals less is chicken s***.

dont make bigger nets. i bet guys will still get over 120 points this year.

keep it the same.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8985
( )

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  13:54:46  Reply with Quote
does anyone know how much bigger they want to make the nets?
Go to Top of Page

Trevman12
Rookie

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  14:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that even more scoring would be fun for fans to watch.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  14:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's just flat out too much screwing with the game.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  15:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah really. If they make the nets bigger what're they gonna do when the goals per game average drops by another 0.3 points? Make the nets bigger again? You can't just keep adding inches to the net to keep the number of goals in a game up to a certain level.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  15:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The scoring will ebb and flow throughout time. Right now it's down .3 and in a few years it will be up a .7 etc. etc. Just let it be!!!! No more changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  15:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. You said it. Scoring data changes, all long-term data collections change, it's called statistics.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0024
( )

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  17:03:52  Reply with Quote
soccer nets ftw
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  17:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the idea of the CBA and the rule changes was to put a more exciting and competative product on the ice, not to score more goals. When you look at the league in the years prior to the strike, there was a clear separate of high quality teams and those who could not compete. Last year with the new rules and more of a level playing field with salaries, their were only 7 of 30 teams under .500. This year is the same. I just don't understand why the NHL would think of messing things up again. Attendance was way up last year, even coming off a strike. Revenues were up too. This year, from what I have heard, revenue will be up again. Why change something that is already working well.

Stupid Bettman!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  17:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Stupid Bettman!

LOL Bettman looks like a vampire I swear, all he needs is a black cloak and a Romanian accent and we've got Dracula as the commissioner of the NHL!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9120
( )

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  18:00:35  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blade

I'm ok with it as long as the shape stays the same. that bubbled look is rediculous! just build it 1 inch taller and 2 inches wider.

Let's face it, even with the smaller gear goalies started wearing last year, goalies are a lot bigger than they were in the past. it used to be that a guy Ken Drydens size was a rarity but now it's the norm.

I totally agree. Look at the goalies in 1983 when Gretzky was scoring 92 goals. They looked like most of the guys now look with their equipment off! Change isn't always bad, and I'd classify myself as a traditionalist, normally. I think it's less a change than just evening out the advantage goalies have gotten with lighter, bigger equipment.
Go to Top of Page

B-rett10
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  20:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I wouldn't like that the nets are fine the way they are.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4526
( )

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  21:05:43  Reply with Quote
HOLY SH!T! Goals are down 0.3 percent! The game is so much less interesting! WTF are we going to do? Lets wreck the tradition of hockey and tamper with nets, the same size nets kids and adults have played with their whole lives! Yes, that should do it!

Lets see here: Buffalo 9 Philidelphia 1 (Total goals 10)
Edmonton 2 Calgary 1 (Total goals 3)

Yes, more goals is definately good and makes games so much more interesting (This isn't always the case, but in a 3 goal game, it's most likely going to be very close).
Go to Top of Page

Guest9811
( )

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  23:53:02  Reply with Quote
Look at the games from the 80's... goalies take up too much space today. The NHL will never bring the gear down enough to make a difference due to safety. Push the posts and crossbars out an inch.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6451
( )

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  06:49:10  Reply with Quote
what a bunch of bs
goalies have a hard time now so y make it harder
Go to Top of Page

Guest8306
( )

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  11:56:50  Reply with Quote
Bigger nets are not the answer for a number of reasons:
1) since when did that fans say they wanted more scoring?
2) yes its true the goaltender equipment is lighter but weight has nothing to do with net coverage, goalies reach and range of motion has not changed-I do not see any goalies popping their shoulders out of their socketst o make a glove or blocker save-flexibility has maybe increased range of motion, but that comes from hard work and hours of stretching-a 100 mph slapshot is the result of working hard in the gym and on the ice so why should it be any different
3) the original goalie pads were 12 inches wide, I didnt see them complaining about scoring then
34) If they want to increase the scoring for the fans, then then would be doing it in a way that fans dont like if they make the nets bigger
5) when you have, toskala, kipprusoff, brodeur, nabakov, nittymaki, lundquist, hasek, giguere, turco, mason, fleury, khabibulin, luongo, roloson, miller, fernandez, belfour, lehtonen, and jose theodore playing goal and the scoring is still around 6 per game, it shows that the rules changes from last year are enough to keep the scoring higher
6) if attendance and revenue are up then why change the productthe nhl has made with the new rule changes. fans have not been complaining about the whopping .3 difference in goals, and if the change is supposed to be for the fans, than it wouldnt make any sense to change the nets
7) im sure there are more people that would stop watching hockey because of bigger nets than people that would start watching it because of bigger nets
8) if the dreadful decison is made to mkae the nets bigger, they should definitely not make the nets taller, absolutely not, there will be more goalie injuries, goalie revolts, goalie strikes, and more chaos than one could imagine. making the nets taller is bad for the game period. most everyone is against it.
9) what would they do about records? If Crosby broke Gretzkys records with hte bigger nets would they say he really broke Gretzkys recorrds? I dont think Crosby would want bigger nets for that reason.
10) goalies are fans too, and they definitely dont want bigger nets. multiply evey hockey team in the North America by 2 and that would roughly be the number of goalies that would be upset by the bigger nets. that many less satisfied fans is never a good thing.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8306
( )

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  13:12:48  Reply with Quote
11) also more goals lessens the value of a goal. lacrosse goals are not exciting because they happen so often. ruining the value of a goal would be very stupid
Go to Top of Page

Guest7299
( )

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  13:17:30  Reply with Quote
[img][/img] First u make the goalies equipment smaller and limit where they can play the puck> Give the players better sticks better mobility in the zones because of no more clutching or grabbing like come on give the goalies a break. I beleive making the nets bigger will accomplish nothing the goalies are so good i don't think scoring will go up much with bigger nets. this is a bad idea and i don't think they should enforceb it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4044
( )

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  20:43:05  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard of the NBA raising the hight of the baskets because players are taller. don't touch the nets...or vinnie will be bustin heads.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4689
( )

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  22:24:44  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

Seiriously. that is the stupidist thing I ever heard of
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  08:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a tad bit sarcastic.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4044
( )

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  12:11:52  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4689

quote:

Seiriously. that is the stupidist thing I ever heard of

I thought it was kind of funny
Go to Top of Page

Guest4689
( )

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  18:20:04  Reply with Quote
No!!!
That would be way to easy to score.

Go Canucks
Go to Top of Page

Guest0887
( )

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  19:56:51  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blade

Not only are the goalies better but the players are much, much better too. If the players are getting one-piece sticks that shoot 100 m/h then the nets should stay the same. Screw the bigger nets man. It will make the games ridiculously high scoring and extremely boring! Also, the goaltenders would all have to change their style. Butterfly wouldn't work anymore because people would just shoot over and around you. Stupid idea! Leave the nets alone!
Go to Top of Page

Blubberboy
Rookie

155 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  09:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree.
What the heck are the NHL thinking?
I quote "Ohmygod, scoring is down 0.3 goals a game". So???
It is not how many goals there are, it is how interesting the game is.
Some times if it is too many goals it is boring.
Whatev.

Go Vancouver
Go to Top of Page

Guest4785
( )

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  14:40:41  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blubberboy

quote:

I agree.
What the heck are the NHL thinking?
I quote "Ohmygod, scoring is down 0.3 goals a game". So???
It is not how many goals there are, it is how interesting the game is.
Some times if it is too many goals it is boring.
Whatev.

Go Vancouver

Ya, everyone hates a game with goals galore. I
Go to Top of Page

Guest7235
( )

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  18:30:26  Reply with Quote
im against it it would take those amazing saves and goals away.
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  21:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NHL is going insane. Horrible idea. PERIOD!
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  12:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stupid idea. Let's just change every single aspect of the game.
Ya know, if Commissioner Buttman gets his way, he will actually make the nets smaller... make them round, and put them 10' above the ice. Then he'll eliminate body contact, take off the equipment, eliminate goalies, and change the ice to a wood floor.
This guy is an @$$clown, and ought to be removed from his position immediately before he bastardizes the game to something no Canadian recognizes.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  13:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Ultimatetitman, but I think he has already.
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  13:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baad idea! Just becuase scoring is down .3 gpg...they're just trying to find a way to alter the game. As usual.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest5684
( )

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  00:46:29  Reply with Quote
Increasing the size of the nets is seriously the stupidest thing I've ever heard of!

First of all, that changes the whole game and it changes all the previous records. Records from then on couldn't be compared with the previous records. It just ruins the stats completely. I can't believe they're freaking out because scoring is down by 0.3!

Second, for the goalie himself, it changes everything he's practiced and learned his whole hockey life. Just a couple inches changes everything. The goalie has learned the angles and everything, how far over he needs to be to stop the puck from going in the net...etc.

Also, do they think more scoring will help bring in fans? A game that ends 8-5 or something becomes less exciting. Do you see how crazy hockey fans get when a goal is scored? In other sports that are high scoring you get barely any reaction from the crowd. This is because you appreciate the goal more because its not happening every minute. This makes the game more exciting.Of course you don't want the 1-0 games every game, but that doesn't happen every game.

And why are they trying to please people who aren't even hockey fans, they are only going to lose their die hard fans that spend big bucks on their teams. Promote the game of course, but not by changing it to please the people who aren't fans. If you really need to change something about the goalie position, don't screw around with the nets, change the equipment if you have to, but personally I like the game the way it is and I know a lot of people agree with me. If they keep screwing around with the game I will stop watching!
Go to Top of Page

Guest5684
( )

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  00:55:18  Reply with Quote
Guest5684, I completely agree with everything you said. It was too long to quote though, sorry

I will stop watching if they increase the net sizes, yes because i think its one of the most retarded things they've ever come up with, but more importantly, I'm a huge Luongo fan and he's really what got me into hockey, in my opinion he's the best goalie in the league (not of all time, but currently). Him threatening to retire scares me! I'm not from Vancouver, I live in California, but I'm a huge Canucks fan because of Roberto. If he quits I have no desire to watch hockey anymore. I don't care how silly that may seem to some people but if my hockey hero (the reason I got into hockey) wants to quit hockey for something he believes is a good enough reason, then I will show my support by not watching hockey anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5684
( )

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  01:01:33  Reply with Quote
Get off my account Matt! Geez I leave for a few minutes to do something and the next thing I know he's on my computer posting stuff on my account. RRRRRR But, I am glad he agrees with me. Anyway, I'm a Legace fan! Go St. Louis! Ha Matt!
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  09:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess 4044 ---- The NBA has actually elevated the baskets on a couple of occasions over the years because the players just kept getting taller.

My personal opinion as you might already guess is.....leave our bloody game alone. The reason goal scoring is down is because coaches today coach a much more disiplined defensive systems. The players today are not allowed to hook, hold and interfere like they used to so we have a very up tempo stick checking and zone defense style of game played at a high pace by players that for the most part can really fly. Believe it or not the hooking, holding and interference created a lot more room out there for the skilled guys to move the puck. Simply put, while you were holding or interfering with the other opponents on the ice your skill guys had open ice to manouver. Now we have ten skaters out there playing their coaches systems totally unimpeded and it is wrecking havoc on the other teams offense. There is nowhere near the two on ones and breakaways that their used to be. This is another reason you see less and less slow players on either side of the puck. There used to be jobs for slower guys that could score or had a specialty to offer a team but they have been for the most part pretty much phased out now. It is a game of speed and tactics in the new NHL......enlarging the nets is not going to fix it. Maybe enlarging the ice surface would help the new game but you won't see that because they would have to give up the revenue they garnered from the lost seating.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page