Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Cooke "drops the mitts"??? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  00:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, okay, i know what's coming.....

"He only fought him cuz he know's he doesn't normally fight"!!!

"He only drops with guys he thinks he can take"!!!

"I don't care, he's still a p*ssy"!!!

I really don't care. I just thought i'd share something you may have missed? Cooke, not only fighting willingly, but winning? Not like he landed a ton of punches i know, but still have to give him the decision, as much as i still hate him.....

Oops, editted to add, the link i forgort..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fmtZivBZuo&hd=1

Edited by - Alex116 on 03/13/2010 01:11:20

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  12:08:05  Reply with Quote
Cooke is a dead man come Thursday night and the league is soley responsible in my opinion. The Bruins players have to enforce the CODE for which the league failed to do by suspending him. I can see a Bertuzzi incedent if Cooke refuses to drop the gloves.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9494
( )

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  10:54:42  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTVOisOIKvk&feature=player_embedded#
Go to Top of Page

Guest9248
( )

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  14:45:43  Reply with Quote
Will Cooke fight tonite or will he be chased all over the ice. I think Thornton or Lucic take a piece of him . A side note Godard has been activated for tonite's game.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  15:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think little to nothing happens tonight as long as the game is reasonably close. With all the heat, both Colin Campbell and Terry Gregson(head of the Officials) are going to be at the game watching very closely. I would not be surprised if both teams have been clearly warned that anything outside the box will be dealt with harshly.

Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  19:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think little to nothing happens tonight as long as the game is reasonably close. With all the heat, both Colin Campbell and Terry Gregson(head of the Officials) are going to be at the game watching very closely. I would not be surprised if both teams have been clearly warned that anything outside the box will be dealt with harshly.

At the local Boston Pizza, having some supper with the wife and kids, when I looked up at one of the TV's and thought I saw, Matt Cooke willingly dropping the mitts, and taking the beating that he had to from Shawn Thornton of all people?

I'm not about to say Cooke is any pariah of good grace, and I know you have little use for him, but, even you have to admit a little admiration for Cooke to at least be willing to take his smackdown without any nonsense, he got challenged by one of the leauge's big guns, and took it like he had to....

Good for you this one time Cooke....only one time so far tho

Go to Top of Page

Guest6671
( )

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  20:53:59  Reply with Quote
The fight with Shawn Thornton and Cooke was a decent enough fight but im sure thats not going to be the last between the Bruins and cooke fighting, and also that fight with Chara and Rupp was pretty interesting but gotta give it big time to the big man.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  21:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And just to poke Beans in the virtual ribs a bit...

Would this not be a decent example of when a tussle between a couple players, where no one got hurt, could be useful? It beats a team going specifically after the other team's skill players methinks...

Not condoning the fighting, but certainly a better alternative than a Malkin or Crosby getting cheap shots for retribution....confusing game this hockey

Edited by - fat_elvis_rocked on 03/18/2010 21:37:13
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  22:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dunno FatElvis, i'd have preferred the fight to have started after at least a hit was thrown at Cooke. This, even under the circumstances, is far too planned/premeditated. Def better than retaliation in the form of going after a superstar like Crosby or Malkin, but still not the way i like to see a fight begin. I know, at least i heard, that Colin Campbell was going to be at the game and was planning on talking to both teams before the game. Well, what'd he have to say? I'm surprised he wouldn't have told them if there's an obvious premeditated fight there'll be fines/suspensions or something along those lines?

BTW, i agree, give Cooke some "props" for dropping the mitts with Thornton, but i have to say, it looked to me like Cooke stood his ground as best he could but then went down pretty easily after he figured he'd be "in there" long enough?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  22:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still don't see a point in fighting, even in this case. I recall watching hockey in the 80's, and mostly the Oilers. Granted, they had their share of fights and brawls, mostly with the Flames, but the thing I remember the most is when old Rod Phillips doing the play by play would make the comment "Oh, he's taking down his number." Reason being is that it might not be that game, that season, or even the same teams playing. But sooner or later, that guy who did the dirty play would find himself looking up from the small of his back and would know exactly why he was there.

I would have far preferred to see everyone with a B on their shirt hit Cooke every single time they had a chance, legally of course, and get him back that way. As well as winning the game, but that might be a stretch.

However, as far as fighting goes, like my Pops taught me, you don't pick fights, but when a fight comes to you and there is no other way, you don't back down. I do give credit to Cooke for at least dropping them when challenged as I don't believe he did have any other choice.

It more than I can say about him normally.

But I do agree, if there was to be fighting in the game, this is about the closest thing to a 'good fight' there is.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  06:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fat Elvis - if Cooke had been suspended for ten games by Campbell, with a statement made that any retribution fight/hit would be dealt with harshly - there would have been no reason to fight Cooke, and likely, no fight would have happened.

Fighting is useless to hockey, utterly useless. When the punishments start fitting the crimes, when players lose money from not playing andeventually getting benched, when coaches start sitting players who fight because they want to win - this is when the change will happen.

Where is the revenge for Boston when they lost the game and are still not assured of a playoff spot?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  09:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Fat Elvis - if Cooke had been suspended for ten games by Campbell, with a statement made that any retribution fight/hit would be dealt with harshly - there would have been no reason to fight Cooke, and likely, no fight would have happened.

I agree....and the 'Tooth Fairy' is a good hockey movie.

I hear you Slozo, but the fact was that Campbell didn't and couldn't based on his previous non-additional actions on Richards, who by the way, also answered the bell to pay the piper for his hit on Booth, in a later game.

I agree fighting is more sideshow, than necessity, but as I said earlier, better to watch a contrived WWE match between players that is expected, than to have a Crosby, or Malkin run, and potentially injured, on a play that might even be legal, but would have been retribution, if the original offender didn't step up and take his spanking.

This is the way it is in the game today, right, wrong or otherwise, and regardless of what 'should' have been done, it wasn't, and I think 'if' there is ever a need' for a fight, this is one of the very few situations where it is better than the what 'could have' happened type situations.

Yes, Boston still lost, but they got their 'retribution' on Cooke, and nobody had tp get killed doing it. Contrived? yes. SIlly? also yes? Better than anothe star player getting injured? ...most definately.
Go to Top of Page

nux-suk
Top Prospect

41 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  13:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now if we could just get burrows to drop his gloves instead of his pants for his team-mates.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  14:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nux-suk

Now if we could just get burrows to drop his gloves instead of his pants for his team-mates.

Nah, that'd suck, cuz then you'd have one less thing to complain about. If stuff like that kept happening, you might disappear and we wouldn't get your high quality and insightfull posts as frequently?
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  15:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

And just to poke Beans in the virtual ribs a bit...

Would this not be a decent example of when a tussle between a couple players, where no one got hurt, could be useful? It beats a team going specifically after the other team's skill players methinks...

Not condoning the fighting, but certainly a better alternative than a Malkin or Crosby getting cheap shots for retribution....confusing game this hockey

Love this!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page