Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Winiewski Hit on Seabrook Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baumer
Top Prospect

82 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  10:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems to me that players in the NHL really don't seem to understand the effects of their illegal actions. So far I have heard Doug Maclean call for this hit to be worth ten games and Darren Millard say its only worth four. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9n-F7Brtdc

Edited by - baumer on 03/18/2010 10:54:53

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  11:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vicious high stick and elbow in the face at full speed, and clearly a headhunting hit, especially when I read the comments below that explained that it was revenge for Seabrook's earlier hit.

I can only shake my head that this guy wasn't ejected from the game. Fire the referee . . . he should've given a 5 minute major and a game misconduct, and there should be at least a 5 game suspension for a shot like this.

Pretty brutal stuff, and Seabrook is a very lucky guy that he isn't carried off by stretcher.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4339
( )

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  13:09:57  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Vicious high stick and elbow in the face at full speed, and clearly a headhunting hit, especially when I read the comments below that explained that it was revenge for Seabrook's earlier hit.

I can only shake my head that this guy wasn't ejected from the game. Fire the referee . . . he should've given a 5 minute major and a game misconduct, and there should be at least a 5 game suspension for a shot like this.

Pretty brutal stuff, and Seabrook is a very lucky guy that he isn't carried off by stretcher.

Totally agree; you can see that Seabrook was out on his feet. Sickening hit.
Go to Top of Page

ludakyle
Top Prospect

Azores
12 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  13:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i thought it was a dirty hit, but it made me laugh pretty hard
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  14:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After watching the play, that hit actually makes me incensed. Purely a revenge hit, Seabrook touched the puck only for a second or so, then didn't have it for what seemed like an eternity. You see Wisniewski charging up for the hit from a great distance.

For me that is worse than the Ovechkin hit, the Cooke hit and the Ballard hit combined. It was clear that Wisniewski had only one thing in mind: to hit Seabrook, regardless of whether he had the puck or not. he had lots of time to slow down, or avoid him. If that isn't intent to injure, I don't know what is.

That is why a rule change is needed, but the NHL better implement in carefully, taking their time.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  15:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8 Game suspension.

I did not read any statement from the NHL, but the TSN story did report that Wisniewski has been suspended twice before. Once for a hit on Shane Doan this past November for 2 games and for one game for a cross check in 2008.

Deserved. Nothing more to say other than I hope Seabrook is not hurt too long. Losing both him and Campbell going into a playoff knowing you will have to lose some roster players next year to get under the cap is not something Chicago is looking forward to.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  15:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8 games? I'm okay with that but would have been ok with 10 as well! Brutal hit, and by a dman at that spot on the ice shows to me that he went at him with one thing in mind!
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  16:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another shining example of why there needs to be mandatory suspensions for intent, regardless of outcome.

I've mentioned in other posts, the referees should be much more liberal in their use of the 5 minute major and game misconduct call. Automatic review following any call made like that.

Standard suspensions for, in this case, deliberate intent to injure, starting at 5 games, and increasing with any subsequent recurrence by the offending player, 2nd offence 10 games, 3rd offence 20 games, 4th offence indefinite dismissal and minimum 1 year before application for re-instatement.

Same sort of formula for hits from behind, intentional elbows, high sticks etc. Lay the law down a bit, weed out the meatballs and allow that blend of physicality and skill that is supposed to be hockey.

If a Wisniewski, or a Downie, or a Cooke get tossed for life after 4 chances, do we as fans really care? If an Ovechkin even, can't figure it out after the first couple of suspensions, should even a player of his caliber be exempt?

I'm guessing if this sort of standardization became the norm, the Ovechkin's would learn quickly that their skill is more important to them and their team than their brawn.

I don't see the NHL being that progressive, but we can always hope...
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  04:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fat_elvis >

Absolutely, the NHL needs to have clear, STIFF penalties for this kind of stuff. And, just as importantly, they need to be applied consistently. If Ovechkin (or any other player) keeps dishing out dirty/dangerous/illegal hits then they should get tossed.

I posted something similar to your idea in the thread on the Cooke hit. Once they've gotten 3-4 progressively higher suspensions they should get tossed for life - if you can't play the game right, find a new career.
Go to Top of Page

baumer
Top Prospect

82 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  11:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

8 games? I'm okay with that but would have been ok with 10 as well! Brutal hit, and by a dman at that spot on the ice shows to me that he went at him with one thing in mind!

Couldn't agree more. I fully expected more than 8 games. Mike Murphy, Vp of Hockey Operations, was on the Fan 590 on Thursday and he likened the players to children. He said that you can only scold them so many times and if they keep doing what you tell them not to over and over again then you finally have to discipline them to the fullest extent.

I agree with him totally but why did it have to take so long for the league to realize this? The only way they are going to learn is if you start taking money from them. Wizniewski stands to lose around $200 000, if that isn't going to be a wake up call then I don't know what is.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  13:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baumer

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Couldn't agree more. I fully expected more than 8 games. Mike Murphy, Vp of Hockey Operations, was on the Fan 590 on Thursday and he likened the players to children. He said that you can only scold them so many times and if they keep doing what you tell them not to over and over again then you finally have to discipline them to the fullest extent.

I agree with him totally but why did it have to take so long for the league to realize this? The only way they are going to learn is if you start taking money from them. Wizniewski stands to lose around $200 000, if that isn't going to be a wake up call then I don't know what is.

That's ironic that Murphy would use the child example, when that would make the NHL the parents, and last time I checked, being a parent, the kids are my responsibility. Pretty sure I'd have gotten on my kids at lot sooner were they as out of control as the NHL's flock.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8186
( )

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  13:38:50  Reply with Quote
when your top "parent " is collie campbell who can't suspend Matt cooke for his headhunting episode because he didn't suspend Mike Richards then he'd have to admit he was wrong there too.The state of the game is terrible with things going further and further all the time you've even got Alfie doing it now because he knows he dosn't have to worry about the paper watchdog collie doing anything and to me thats just sad.

richards
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  22:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here here, Fat Elvis - being likened to a child is not too cool in the first place . . . but someone then has to call Child Services, lol!!!

Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  22:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Here here, Fat Elvis - being likened to a child is not too cool in the first place . . . but someone then has to call Child Services, lol!!!

Or perhaps since they think of the players as their 'kids' according to Murphy's analogy, a good ol' neutering for the NHL execs/parents....they don't seem to use those parts anyways when a tough call needs to me made.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page