Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Goodby Collie Campbell??? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest8186
( )

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  07:01:02  Reply with Quote
This realy should be the last straw for this guy, I mean come on Matt Cooke gets nothing Ovie gets 2 games and James Wisnewski gets 8 games . Without some kind of consistancy the guy just looks like a big joke except not as funny

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  08:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While i don't think he's the best guy for the job and there couldn't be an improvement, i don't agree with your reasoning here. You clearly haven't seen the fact that the Cooke hit, albeit disgusting/disturbing, was not illegal by the rules of the NHL (or at least as they've come to be called). If you wanna compare the Wisniewski hit to the Ovechkin hit, fine, but if you think Ovie's was as bad, i have to disagree. At least Campbell had just gotten rid of the puck and prob knew he'd get some sort of contact from Ovie. Seabrook wasn't even the last guy to have the puck and therefore had no idea that a hit was coming. That hit would be like running at a goalie looking towards the corner anticipating a save and hitting him from the blindside. The goalie would never expect something like this and wouldn't be able to brace for the contact and would be completely wiped out.

Personally, i was far more sickened by the Wisniewski hit than i was Ovie's. Maybe due to Ovie being a repeat offender as far as suspensions go, he could have gotten a few more games, but i have no prob with the 8 games given to that hit!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8186
( )

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  08:41:17  Reply with Quote
Sorry I didn't make myself clear yes ovie deserved what he got repeat offender plays on the edge but a bit reckless 2 games fine .Wisnewski for sure hit was disturbing was payback for an earlier play and an intent to injure plus repeat offender got at least what he deserved. The one that bothers me is Matt Cooke was absolutly an intent to injure headhunting blindside dirty play takes Savard out for the year and he gets nothing????? Realy nothing????? no susspension warranted????
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  08:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regardless of how we viewed the Cooke hit, Alex clearly explained you the reason why Cooke got zero games: NHL RULES AND REGULATIONS!

Cooke's hit, however ugly everyone thinks it is, was legal by the letter of the law, and that is why everybody wanted him to be suspended and the rules changed to include "blindside hits to the head."

On the other hand, Wisniewski's hit was clearly illegal, as alex pointed out the reasons above.

Thus, Colin Campbell had to suspend him for 8: Wisniewski himself was a repeat offender (note this TSN article: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=314552)

Unlike the Ovechkin and Cooke hits, Wisniewski was nowhere near borderline legal, it stepped over the line of ambiguity, a clearly illegal hit.

In fact, in the above article he Colin Campbell himself is quoted.

"Mr. Wisniewski delivered a retaliatory hit to the head of an opponent who never had possession of the puck," explained NHL senior vice president of hockey operations Colin Campbell in a statement.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8186
( )

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  09:07:33  Reply with Quote
You are just too sure of yourself to even think yes there is a rule in the nhl rulebook about an intent to injure. yes hitting somebody blindside to the head is an intent to injure otherwise it wouldn't be to the head it would have been in the middle of the chest . so yes that hit was ilegal not called but yes ilegal.maybe next time before you reply you should actualy think foryourself instead of just repeating what other people say
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  09:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8186

You are just too sure of yourself to even think yes there is a rule in the nhl rulebook about an intent to injure. yes hitting somebody blindside to the head is an intent to injure otherwise it wouldn't be to the head it would have been in the middle of the chest . so yes that hit was ilegal not called but yes ilegal.maybe next time before you reply you should actualy think foryourself instead of just repeating what other people say

So which are you then, the pot or the kettle?

Mike Richards delivered a very similar, and in my opinion, much more devastating hit earlier in the year, I'm sure you heard about/saw it. There was no additional suspension on that play, and Campbell as much as said that, that was a determining factor in why there was no suspension for Cooke.

Regarding your thinking for yourself comment, you don't think you're coming across as just another kee-jerk reactionist? Or do you really think you're the first one to have NHL all figured out....I disagree, Beans and Slozo have beat you to it by 1000 posts each.(Just poking fun fellas)....

Maybe next time you want to get on someone about the next time....you shouldn't.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8186
( )

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  09:33:34  Reply with Quote
Hey imo the only way to fix the current state of the game is to either get rid of collie and bring in someone who will suspend dirty hits as what they are with penelties fitting the crime. Or second option drop the instigator rule and let em sort it out on the ice then guys like Matt Cooke(Savard) Wisnewski(Seabrook) and even Downie(Crosby) wouldn't be able to run around doing whatever they wanted with the only consequence being what some wishy washy PR guy (collie) may or may not do
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  14:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both Richards and Cooke should have been suspended.

They could have found a rule against a hit like that somewhere in the rule book I'm sure. Like the guest said there's a rule for intent to injure.

I'm sure he just wanted to protect his star (Richards) at the time, then when Cooke did it he wanted to suspend him but regreted his first decision he made on Richards.

As for Ovie it's pretty much the same, he wanted to protect his star (Ovie) but just a few weeks ago he gave 4 games to Lapierre so he couldn't ignore Ovie, therefore he gave him 2 games.

So yeah the NHL has to stop protecting their stars because this is creating controversy all over. I know the hits are not exactly the same, but they break the same rules.

I would of also suspended Downie for the slewknee on Crosby and Alfie for the hit from behind on Beauchemin. This is another thing, suspend the action not the how bad the other guy is injured.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8186
( )

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  14:31:29  Reply with Quote
See and this is my point we need a real watchdog not a pr guy who can't suspend this guy because he didnt suspend that guy gets to be a bit on the sad side when discipline is decided by what we did to the last guy rather then the inidivdual merits of each case.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  22:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Campbell is a joke, and who knows how much of it is him, and how much is pressure from the owners to make a decision in a certain way. Well, I was taught by my dad that you judge the man first, and the potential people pulling the strings second . . . by way of this logic (my dad's logic): if he was a real man, a good man, he'd do what's right anyway, string-pullers be damned.

In that vein, I condemn Colin Campbell to 60 lashes with a wet noodle. Possibly a wet poodle, which would hurt more, but get PETA involved, so scratch that one.

I think I am almost as drunk as ol' Colin gets when he makes his decisions on how long to suspend for. Richards - 0 games. FREE PASS!! Cooke - 0 games. SCREW YOU ALL!!! Ovechkin - 2 games. HA HA, LOOK AT THE POWER I HAVE . . . THE GAME'S BEST PLAYER UNDER MY FOOT!!! Wisniewski - 8 games. YOUR NAME IS TOO HARD TO PRONOUNCE SO YOU GET AN EXTRA 3 GAMES!!!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  22:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ironically, his name isn't to hard to pronounce (in polish). To make it easier call Wisniewski Cherry, 'cause that's what it translates to.

And, his Anaheim teammate, Visnovsky, a Slovak, has the same name, Cherry, just in Slovakian.

It's great to know another language.

Edited by - polishexpress on 03/19/2010 22:55:56
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  22:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nozdrovyia, my polish friend!

Thanks for that translation . . . very interesting, Wiskniewski = cherry. cool, that is something I will remember

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  22:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be more specific, wisnia (with a mark above the s to give it an "sh" sound) is cherry, and their surnames are adjusted so they sound like a surname not a fruit.

That's why in people from Eastern Europe can ski year round: their last names all end in ski!

(Yes very, very, bad joke)

Edited by - polishexpress on 03/19/2010 22:38:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page