Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Ovechkins Hit on Campbell Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9951
( )

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  12:24:21  Reply with Quote
Do you think the hit was clean or dirty, or just unlucky. Will he get suspended?

I would make a poll but i dont know how :(

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  12:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No suspension. Ovechkin could have let up and not hit him into the boards and nothing good would have happened from that hit. Bad hit for sure but I agreed with McGuire(believe it or not) that it was a double major at worst. No game misconduct should have been given nor should a suspension happen.

However, with the highlights on headshot and 'vulnerable' hits (a la Lapierre on Nichol) the refs are going to be swinging the mallet a lot harder for the last 15ish games.
Go to Top of Page

freddyboy
Rookie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  13:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think he should get suspended. if maxim lapierre got for 4 games for basically doing the same, ovechkin should get suspended, ovechkin should get 2 to 4 games

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  16:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough call for me...

I do believe Ovechkin could have let up. Instead, he extended his arms slightly adding a little more force than needed. Split second thing, non-intentional I'd say.

As for suspensions go, I'm going to say yes. 2-4 games. Keeping with a similar (though not exact) hit as Lapierre on Nichol.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  17:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had started to reply to this topic earlier today, say no i didn't think the hit warrented a suspension. However, after reading freddyboy's reply, i re-watched both hits on youtube, and while not exactly the same, they do have a lot of similarities & if the Lapierre hit was enough to garner a 4 game suspension, then i don't see why Ovechkin's shouldn't at least get him a game or two.

The Lapierre hit may have been a little bit later, and Nichol was more vulnerable at the time IMO, but still they are quite similar for all. Ovechkin would be classified as a repeat offender as well, which doesn't help his case.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  18:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not really sure what to make of this hit, I was watching the game and saw him do it, and it perplexed me, because it was such an unnecessary thing for Ovechkin to do.

Campbell had already gotten rid of the puck, and Ovechkin, instead of laying off the check, forcefully shoved him, into the boards. I just found it unnecessary, and dangerous, something he seems to do every now and then.

Of course the talking meatballs, McGuire and Milbury, then proceeded to verbally give each other the rub and tug, talking about how the hit was just a push, how confusing it is for the refs, players coaches and apparently them, now that the rules of hitting are changing, and how Ovechkin is marquee and the misconduct doesn't help sell the game....blah, blah blah..

I saw a bad/unnecessary hit delivered to a player in a vulnerable position, again. Another example of clear disrespect for the other player, placing the other player in a very dangerous, compromised position. A hit that had nothing to do with headshots and everything to doFunny when it's Lapierre or Cooke, or Carcillo, or (insert marginal player here), it's grounds for a lynching, yet when it's (insert overdone adjectives of greatness here)Ovechkin, the tune is completely different and sung slightly off key.

Last time I checked, this is his 3rd type of infraction this year, good thing he scores all those goals, or he'd really be in trouble....

Someone get me a fan, the stink of double standard is strong here....
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  18:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elvis, that is just nonsense. Double-minor at worst, definitely was a penalty but not everything should get you kicked out and suspended. This wasn't a blindside or lateral hit at all, Campbell didn't do a good enough job protecting himself while in a dangerous position. Could Ovechkin have let up? He finishes his checks, even in the regular season, which makes him the man. This was clearly a penalty, but don't compare it to Lapierre's, which was much more malicious in nature.

Double-standard would imply Ovechkin wouldn't get a major and kicked out basically at the beginning of a game. So technically he's served a 1 game suspension, which is more than fair in my opinion. Also, he was suspended for his knee earlier this season, so I'm not sure what your point is.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  20:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My point was simply how quick the pundits jumped to his defense for a hit that, albeit, not as viscious as Lapierre's was indeed similar, in both intent and result for the player that was gooned.

Finishing checks is indeed a solid trait in a physical player and I agree that if he would have finished his check on Campbell, you would have heard naught from me.

I am only wondering how a push is finishing a check. Perhaps because had he actually finished the check accordingly, it would have then been a late hit? So instead, go the way he did, and push Campbell into the boards from 3 feet away, while he is in a vulnerable postion. Cheap play any way you look at it.

If it was just a minor shove, why should Campbell have had to do a better job protecting himself? Campbell didn't return for the rest of the game, that would imply he was injured on this nothing play that didn't even warrant a check. When he crossed the line into a questionable dangerous play, Ovie brought the suspension on himself.

Some say he's the man, I'm not so sure, man, would assume a certain level of maturity, respect and responsibility, and sometimes OV makes me wonder.

I've said it in other posts, Ovechkin is a huge talent, but he is a danger out there, his lack of respect for the other players at times, shows much too often, for a player of his stature.

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  21:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldn't agree more with you FatElvis.
There was no reason for any kind of contact at all by that point.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  21:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further, I wonder if anyone is ever going to make the connection between the finishing your check mentality and injuries?
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  21:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we could eliminate hitting altogether, but then you'd have 0 fans and interest in the sport. There is no way to 100% make the game safer if its a contact sport. Sucks when guys get hurt, but that's the game we all watch. 'Finishing your check' goes up to 'all the time' in the playoffs, and everyone should realize just how much better playoff intensity hockey is next to anything else. The difference is Ovechkin plays with this same intensity 100% of the time. Love him or hate him, that's his game.

By the way, I repeatedly said that the play should have been a penalty, and if anything the game misconduct was slightly excessive (but not completley unreasonable)
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  21:59:55  Reply with Quote
Sad thing is , he won't get anything, cause he is the main attraction.......... that is crap, he does this continually all the time and he will hurt someone sooner rather than later, and it will take this injury before they suspend him for any length of time. He deserves at least what Lapierre got if not more as a repeat offender. Remember, they could not give Cooke anything, as they did not punish Richards, but Ovie's hit is similar to that of Lapierre's and he got 4.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  22:00:58  Reply with Quote
Also remember that Campbell is a pretty good d'man, not Gleason or someone like that
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  22:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not even close to a question of finishing a check. Fat Elvis hit the nail on the head. Actually, various nails on the head and I will not regurgitate his comments.

I just had to say how frustrating this "let's just take all hitting out of hockey' comment is. No one, not the NHL, the NHLPA, the Media, the fans, the players, the coaches,the GM's, the owners, the trainers, the ushers, the beer vendors, blah blah blah want to take hitting out of the game.

There is a HUGE difference between a body check and a foolish play that shows lack of respect for your fellow competator and will more often lead to injury. Regardless if that is a head shot, a slough foot (nice job Downie), one of these boarding hits, an Cormier type elbow, et al. Bottom line, some hits will always belong in hockey and others never have and never will belong.

One should be able to recognize the difference.

In hindsight, if the Lapierre/Nichol hit did not happen so recently, there would be no suspension. However, since that is fresh in people's minds, as well as this being Ovechkin's 3rd game misconduct, he will get one game for sure. Maybe two.

According to this report, Campbell is potentially out for the season with broken ribs and a broken clavicle. That's a pretty big loss to the Hawks.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=314096

Increase additional number of games suspension here. That's what the NHL does. Injury = Suspension.

Also, if this was Cooke, Downie, Lapierre, or any other 'watch list' player, the would be out for 5-10 games.

Edited by - Beans15 on 03/14/2010 22:10:16
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  22:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, intensity is a good thing. But a bad play is still a bad play. Taking a liberty like Ovechkin did here, is not intensity, it's a bad play. I don't think this kind of junk constitutes hitting, and I don't think it's the game any real fan would particularly want to watch.

I reiterate, this wasn't finishing a check, it was making a bad play and just because it's Ovechkin, it doens't make it any less so. Doesn't matter if anyone loves or hate him, he's got that all covered himself.

You're right, there is no way to make the game 100% safer due to the contact, but does that mean we want to see these kinds of hits continue? Does anyone want to see players continually getting injured on stupid plays?

That would most definately get it down to zero fans. Zero knowledgable fans anyways.

Believe it or not, I want to like Ovechkin, he's such a skilled player, exciting and exuberant, but when he pulls one of these, I just can't help but see the selfishness....probably just me.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  22:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points fat elvis about the fact that the Ovie & Lapierre hits were not finishing your check.

But aren't those type of hits the results of a finish your check mentality?
Add on big bucks, big egos and presto: broken clavicle and ribs.

I don't know: I'm a first generation Canadian, and I never will understand why you are allowed to hit a player when he doesn't have the puck. (Well logically I do, banning players from finishing checks would basically eliminate checking from a contact sport, plus can't intimidate opponents, can't force a giveaway etc.)
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  22:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
This wasn't a blindside or lateral hit at all, Campbell didn't do a good enough job protecting himself while in a dangerous position.

I watched the youtube clip, and the Lapierre hit on Nichol, and the only difference I saw was that Ovechkin was not as square to Campbell as Lapierre was to Nichol.

Still, it seemed like Ovechkin pushed Campbell from behind. What's the difference between checking or pushing someone from behind if both make the player lose balance?

Hugh, for me, blaming the Campbell for not doing enough is a little bit old school. If Ovechkin hadn't hit him, Campbell wouldn't be injured. And look at the clips again, very, very similar plays, although Lapierre was more viscious.

And, shouldn't the onus be on both parties, the hitter to let up and the receiver to protect himself? What was Campbell supposed to do? Install an airbag in his jersey?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  23:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally i think this warrants a suspension similar to Lapierre's. As a repeat offender, possibly even another game or two but that's extremely unlikely to happen to a guy of Ovie's stature.

As others said, this is a completely unneccesary hit. Actually, it's not a hit, it's a push. Finishing your check is such a strange thing. Is there no way to come up with a rule to protect a guy, in this case Campbell, who's dished off a puck? I know the arguments about how the game is played at the speed of light, etc, but a hit like this is so dangerous that it shouldn't be allowed. Ovie could easily avoided any contact with Campbell.

I dunno, i'm lost here. If the players can't learn respect for one another, the league is gonna have to step in and do something!
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  07:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hugh's comment is one we hear too often:

"Campbell didn't do a good enough job protecting himself while in a dangerous position"

I think it is time to stop blaming the guy getting hit and start looking at the one throwing the hit. Lapierre's hit was not identical - but very close and if Ovechkin does not get 3-4 games then it is a clear double standard.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  08:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob McKenzie says he'd be surprised if Ovechkin isn't suspended for a couple games..Bob is usually on the mark with these type of things.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  11:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with most people (fat elvis, Beans). It was a bad play, dangerous, Ovie push somebody into the boards in a vulnerable position. This is not about taking hits away from the game. Some hits are legal and some are not, and that one wasn't.

Ovie should get at least 3 or 4 games but he'll probably get 1 or 2 because of his superstar status.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  13:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Personally i think this warrants a suspension similar to Lapierre's. As a repeat offender, possibly even another game or two but that's extremely unlikely to happen to a guy of Ovie's stature.

As others said, this is a completely unneccesary hit. Actually, it's not a hit, it's a push. Finishing your check is such a strange thing. Is there no way to come up with a rule to protect a guy, in this case Campbell, who's dished off a puck? I know the arguments about how the game is played at the speed of light, etc, but a hit like this is so dangerous that it shouldn't be allowed. Ovie could easily avoided any contact with Campbell.

I dunno, i'm lost here. If the players can't learn respect for one another, the league is gonna have to step in and do something!

There are rules in place they just haven't been enforced since roughly the late seventies early eighties. Charging and boarding aren't called anywhere near enough. On any given night they could call 20 charging or boarding penalties in a game. They just don't.

43.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player or goalkeeper who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

A minor, major or a major and a game misconduct shall be imposed on a player who charges a goalkeeper while the goalkeeper is within his goal crease.

42.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player (or goalkeeper) applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  13:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points, obviously charging/boarding isn't called often. For anyone saying you have to lay off once the guy dishes the puck... lol. You have never played any decent level of hockey before. I know in Jr. A if I didn't follow through on my checks I'd get benched pretty damn fast. And I'm not even close to an NHL caliber of player. If Campbell is two feet closer to the boards, then he gets lit up by Ovechkin and everyone goes crazy.

Campbell didn't do himself any favours on this play.
For one, where he was standing is possibly the most dangerous in terms of distance from the boards. Second, he has to be aware that #8 is breathing down his neck, and is going to hit him... period. That all being said, I acknoledged it was certainly a dirty play that warranted a penalty and perhaps the 5 and a game with it. If the league chooses to increase it, its simply because the Cooke/Lapierre hits occurred and they want to send a message. If this same exact hit happens earlier this season, he doesn't even get a match penalty.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  13:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ovie was just handed down a 2 game suspension...is it enough? Campbell has broken ribs and a broken collarbone (I think that was confirmed) and I know that the NHL usually reacts to the injury and not the actual infraction but it doesn't seem to be the case this time. I don't think it is enough for a player with a history this year and for a player that plays so reckless. I agree with Don Cherry when he mentioned that somebody is going to hurt him one day. On the other hand though I think players know if they take out Ovie they will probably be handed a lengthy suspension, clean hit or not. Double standards need to be removed from this league.

When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.

Edited by - Gusteroni on 03/15/2010 14:27:55
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  14:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection

Good points, obviously charging/boarding isn't called often. For anyone saying you have to lay off once the guy dishes the puck... lol. You have never played any decent level of hockey before. I know in Jr. A if I didn't follow through on my checks I'd get benched pretty damn fast. And I'm not even close to an NHL caliber of player. If Campbell is two feet closer to the boards, then he gets lit up by Ovechkin and everyone goes crazy.

It is definitely the culture of the game now. You are correct when you say it is expected you play that way even in junior. But this is also where it needs to change. That kid earlier this year who was suspended for the season for his hit and thought he did nothing wrong is a perfect example. He did what every coach he had, had told him to do and he ends up suspended for it. If that is what the kids are taught, how could anyone expect any different outcome than what we see today?
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  14:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't look like much, it was just a push... I do find it a bit strange that this warrants a suspension and Cooke's hit on Savard gets nothing.

It's such a fine line between a great highlight reel hit and supposed borderline dirty plays...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  16:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Great point about finish your check and getting benched. But what would your coach have done if this play happened(you being Ovechkin) in a Junior A game?? If you were not also benched, then that is a symptom of a bigger problem.

quote:
[i]Campbell didn't do himself any favours on this play.
For one, where he was standing is possibly the most dangerous in terms of distance from the boards. Second, he has to be aware that #8 is breathing down his neck, and is going to hit him... period. That all being said, I acknoledged it was certainly a dirty play that warranted a penalty and perhaps the 5 and a game with it. If the league chooses to increase it, its simply because the Cooke/Lapierre hits occurred and they want to send a message. If this same exact hit happens earlier this season, he doesn't even get a match penalty.

This is ludacris. I mean, what could have Campbell done?? The puck was barely off his stick when he was shoved from behind. This was not even clos to a 'finish your check' situation. If Ovechkin had taken Campbell into the boards with a hit rather than two hand shove him on his lower back, then I don't think we are having this conversations either. This was plain and simple a shot from behind and Campbell could have done NOTHING to protect himself. What is he supposed do?? Dangerous distance from the boards?? Campbell was just exiting the faceoff circle when he played the puck. When Ovechkin made initial contact with Campbell, it was at the goal line. Is that not a full 6' away from the boards??

Campbell did nothing wrong and could have done nothing to protect himself as there never should have been a hit. Puck is gone, it's from behind.

Gross.

Edited by - Beans15 on 03/15/2010 16:52:45
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  17:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In this example, my coach would have been pissed (because I would've gotten 5 and a game) and I would have seriously jeopardized my teams chances of winning that particular game. No chance I get suspended for anything further in Jr., and probably get a tongue-lashing from the coach at best.

With the two games, he gets basically three total, which should appease everyone. It wasn't as bad as Lapierre's, who got 4. Seems fair to me. All you idiots who think there's a double-standard, then why does Cooke get nothing and Ovy gets two? Probably because the 'standard' is based more on the wording of the rules rather than who is actually comitting the foul. Let's keep in mind that these cases are still the massive minority of hits over a season. So before everyone wants to re-write the entire rulebook, realize that this is affecting like .05% of the game, which is otherwise clean and hard-fought. Yes, I'd like to see this become 0% like everyone else, but mistakes are going to happen no matter what the rules are.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  17:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In this example, my coach would have been pissed (because I would've gotten 5 and a game) and I would have seriously jeopardized my teams chances of winning that particular game. No chance I get suspended for anything further in Jr., and probably get a tongue-lashing from the coach at best.

With the two games, he gets basically three total, which should appease everyone. It wasn't as bad as Lapierre's, who got 4. Seems fair to me. All you idiots who think there's a double-standard, then why does Cooke get nothing and Ovy gets two? Probably because the 'standard' is based more on the wording of the rules rather than who is actually comitting the foul. Let's keep in mind that these cases are still the massive minority of hits over a season. So before everyone wants to re-write the entire rulebook, realize that this is affecting like .05% of the game, which is otherwise clean and hard-fought. Yes, I'd like to see this become 0% like everyone else, but mistakes are going to happen no matter what the rules are.

At least compare apple to apples here. Cooke got nothing because there is no rule against what he did. At least not a clear rule.

There are clear rules for both hitting from behind and boarding.

And it would be good to shut down the 'idiot' comments. Not welcome or warranted.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Guest9494
( )

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  17:49:06  Reply with Quote
campbell did what every defence does at end of shift, if pushed from behine give him and not fight back from being hit into boards, sorry to say but keep your head up when your playing in the big leagues this ain\t no pewee hockey practice
Go to Top of Page

Guest6671
( )

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  18:43:41  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I really dont get how people say he got hit from behind in my view he seen Ovechkin coming to him, yet he didnt make an attempt to move or balance himself before seeing him run at him. So, he got two games for the hit but i think it is Campbelle fault for not doing anything in his power to move. I dont care what you think im pretty sure he would of be able to move away or stand his ground.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  18:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9494

campbell did what every defence does at end of shift, if pushed from behine give him and not fight back from being hit into boards, sorry to say but keep your head up when your playing in the big leagues this ain\t no pewee hockey practice

Perfectly right. If a defense man is tired, and get hit, they love to go sailing into the boards at high speeds. Thats a good little rest for them. And keeping his head up sure helps when he's pushed from behind, cause those eyes he has in the back of his head will let him know next time to stay on his feet and not dive into the boards, breaking some bones for fun.

Seriously. I was an Ovechkin fan until this year. He is one of the greatest players we have right now. But what is he doing this year? From the suspensions to the Olympics to the female pushing incident. Has all the attention gone to his head? I'm sick of it. Another incident where I think if you injure someone on a dirty play like that, you miss as much as they miss. Dreaming on my part but whatever.

And Hugh, I understand in junior A when your trying to get noticed and get more ice time you need to finish your check. He's Alex Ovechkin. He CAN'T get benched. He's not the type of player that needs to finish his check. He does because he chooses to. And he needs to make better choices of when its appropriate to do so. Chicago lost a serious piece of their team for the year. This will hurt their cup chances badly. Ovechkin gets two games while Cambell gets 25 (roughly). Seems fair to me.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  19:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hugh, and others..... here's where i have a problem with this hit. It wasn't even a hit, it was a push. If Ovie had been able to actually lay a shoulder to him and make a clean body check with the same result, i'd have no complaint. However, he couldn't catch him with a good clean body check so he shoved him awkwardly into the boards. While "pushing" may not be a penalty, it is def not considered a hit and would be called interference if nothing else in most other cases. There's just no way to justify shoving someone like he did.
To put the blame on Campbell is ridiculous. He prob realized that he had a step on Ovie and was out of his reach for an actual hit and wasn't expecting shove from what i would consider, behind! Yeah, he got close to getting him from the side, but it was more from behind IMO.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  20:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hugh, you're right about your statements about finishing your check, but they don't apply in the Ovechkin case.

If Campbell hadn't been injured, how would have the check/push helped the play? (I ask the question honestly and as a challenge)

Ovechkin himself would be well behind the play, and the puck was going the other way, in fact, until the players stopped to check on Campbell, Chicago had a pretty good rush going. Wouldn't it have been more beneficial for Ovechkin to turn around and go after the puck? (He's a good skater, would take less time than hitting Campbell)

Not trying to stir things up, just raising some questions. I agree that most times finishing your check is a good thing, but to you still have to go after contact when you know the player is in a dangerous position?
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  21:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

.... he gets basically three total, which should appease everyone. It wasn't as bad as Lapierre's, who got 4. Seems fair to me. All you idiots who think there's a double-standard, then why does Cooke get nothing and Ovy gets two? ......

Okay, it never fails, on more than one occasion now, you condescend and start throwing unflattering descriptors out when you get your opinion debated. Do you have to lower yourself to this? Is your handle really indicative of your mentality and maturity? Since I know in an earlier post I specifically used the term double-standard, I have no choice but to infer that you view me as an idiot, fair enough. Read the posts I've made and tell me where you get the right to bunch my statements up with your convoluted rhetoric about what you think is right, wrong or otherwise. You want to debate, debate, you want patronize and name call, save it for another forum that relishes that type of crap, you are only insulting most of the members here with it.

Now, please do not assume you are the only guy here, who played at any significant level of competitive hockey, that would be arrogant on your part. I played at high levels as well, and certainly know the difference between 'finishing a check', and making a cheap play. As others posted along the way, if you are making the cheap play to satisfy a coach, what is that doing to the game?

As Bob McKenzie said today, Ovechkin hit him in the numbers, that's a bad play. When is it ever a good play to hit a player behind, ever.

And to those who keep saying Campbell is partly responsible, he's a professional, he should have kept his head up, it ain't pee wee or whatever, maybe he thought he was playing against a professional and didn't have to worry about blatantly getting hit from behind, guess once he heals, he'll know better than to assume next time, cause I'm pretty sure with OV, there will a next time...
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  21:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't intend this as spamming for ESPN, but here's a great article on the recent suspensions and non-suspensions by Scott Burnside:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=4998669
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  02:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad hit all around - it's boarding, hiting straight from behind, and at a terrible position to the boards. Totally unnecessary.

Like Fat Elvis said, I was a huge Ovechkin fan, still like his hockey, but . . . that ain't hockey. And the league did the right thing, called it by the letter of the book in terms of suspensions to players with a history, so at least it is "acceptable". I say this, because I think if it was 5 games, it might be closer to justice, actually . . . just a goonish play.

Sad to see all around.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest2000
( )

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  13:05:02  Reply with Quote
Came in here in hope to add something to this. However, Fat Elvis closed the coffin on this one.

Have a good day folks
Go to Top of Page

Guest6840
( )

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  13:11:34  Reply with Quote
Ovechkins hits look worse then they are; most should be charging or even a game misconduct. Ovechkin is by far the strongest player in the league and when he hits they should go flying people think Malkin is strong when Malkin is inch taller than him and ways 30 less pounds Ovi is built.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  21:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

[quote]Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection

And to those who keep saying Campbell is partly responsible, he's a professional, he should have kept his head up, it ain't pee wee or whatever, maybe he thought he was playing against a professional and didn't have to worry about blatantly getting hit from behind, guess once he heals, he'll know better than to assume next time, cause I'm pretty sure with OV, there will a next time...

Judging by the following well scripted quote from Ovechkin I would say you are correct. He doesn't think he was in the wrong so obviously he isn't going to change. Good news for everyone.

"I am very sorry that Brian was injured and I hope he is able to return to his team soon. NHL hockey is a physical game. We all play hard every time we are on the ice and have battles each shift in every game we play so we can do our jobs and win. As players we must accept responsibility for our actions and I am no different but I did not intend to injure Brian and that is why I was disappointed with the NHL's decision yesterday. Every time I have the honor to play for my team, I will continue to do what I have done since I was taught to play. I will play hard, play with passion and play with respect for my teammates, opponents and fans. I look forward to returning to my team and doing everything I can to be the best player I can be."
- Alex Ovechkin

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  06:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love to watch Ovechkin play . . . but that script is as bad as any of the other so-called 'apologies' that have been put out by hockey stars . . . remember Kane's apology?

It sucks that these guys have to have the super-inflated egos and absolutely no good sense of right and wrong, but that's why they should remain to us, as fans, just excellent hockey players that we enjoy watching - not role models or heroes.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Edited by - n/a on 03/17/2010 06:31:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page