Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Vancouver
 If.... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  20:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
If the Canucks were to trade Luongo what type of player should they get for him.

Inspired by the time one of my friends said time to trade Luongo.

(when saying other,you should have a strong response Describing why the team needs this. and a last note keep the other vote realistic, don't think Complete D-Man who is fastest in the league and has extremely hard shot towering 7Feet tall)

Choices:

Big Strong D-Man who stays back all the time
Strong D-Man who holds the blue line well
around 5''11 speedy D-Man who is not afraid to shoot
Complete D-Man
Big Shot D-Man
Playmaker who plays both PP and PK
Playmaker who has offense in his mind only
Playmaker who blocks shots
Big average speed Right Hand strong on puck forward
Power Forward
Sniper with a lot of speed
Draft Picks
Young Goalie
Pure Speed Too support Raymond and Kesler
Other

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  21:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the Canucks (for some absurd reason) where to trade Roberto Luongo, I believe they'd have to get back:

A) A top 4 defensive d-man, with some offensive upside. (more focus on the Defensive aspect though.

B) A top 6 forward, who would compliment the Sedin's

C) Picks & or Prospects, perhaps even a young goaltender to develop.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  21:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they should trade him for a mobile, stay at home defenseman with speed, and a penchant for jumping up into the play. He should be min 6'6", around 400lbs so he can block a ton of shots without both trying or feeling it, should be able to put a backhander in the top corner from his own blueline and he must be able to kill all penalties by himself, including those against him!

I hope this isn't more ridiculous than the poll?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  21:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only way Luongo is getting traded is if the Canucks are going through a very deep rebuilding - and if he is getting traded he is not the only one getting traded, therefore we probably need every position you have mentioned in your poll. Luongo could be used to get one or more of them.

Luongo is now in a lifetime contract that carries a cap hit of 5.25m/year - I'm pretty sure even Beans would agree that is a more-than-fair cap hit for a goalie of Luongo's ability, especially 12 years into the future. The Canucks are near or very near the cap right now. This means that really, the Canucks can only bring in a max of 5.25m per year of salary on the other end of that trade. What player in the NHL is making only 5.25/year (and can be signed at that amount for a very long time), that would be worth it to trade Luongo for?

No one.

Actually, scratch my calculations - the Canucks would have to use some of that 5.25m to bring Schneider back up to be our #1 (I'm assuming that you think Schneider is the new #1?), which would take up about $1M. So, we could only bring in a salary of 4.25m for Luongo. What player that is making only 4.25m or less per year (and is signed to that contract for the next 3-4 years) would you consider fair for Luongo?

Again, no one.

Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  22:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IF is a key word IF.... Doubt he would ever be traded; but When we have Cory Schneider, who will probably get traded instead, A young goalie with major potential maybe we want a new player to go for a stanley cup run in a few years.

Yes this question is close enough to CRAZY trying to keep Canucks pools alive!

Luongo for Heatley, Clowe, Boyle, Nabakov, and a first rounder... now that is crazy i mean why would we get all that Garbage lol
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  23:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only tangible trade for literally one of the top 3 goalies in the NHL today, for the past 5 year, and likely the next 5 years is literally the best defensemen in the league today and likely the next 5 years at a minimum.

I am talking Duncan Keith, Mike Green, Drew Doughty, Hedman, Mayers, Etc. And that is for starters. I would need more than that as well, but at that point I would field offers.

To have a goalie like Luongo is a once in a generation kind of goalie. One has to consider that there are only about 900 players each year in the NHL, so the 30 starting goalies represent about 3% of the total players. When you have one of the 3 best, you are talking about a 1 in 300 kind of players. Or, the top 1/2% of the entire league.

You better get more than anything you could imagine.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  07:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha ha!! I gotchya, Beans - you said Green is one of the best 5 defencemen out there without using the word "offensive" . . . HA HA!! You finally admit Green is a great defenceman now?

I kid, I kid.

If . . . hmm. Well, they'd need a replacement at goal, so unless they have a proven great starting goalie (not just a prospect with promise), they'd need a straight up exchange of another top goalie who isn't old - Lundqvist, Backstrom, etc. Seems pointless though.

If you contend that there was an imaginary great goalie waiting to take over as starter from Luongo, then I guess I'd say sniper or power forward - at least someone who can score over 30 goals consistently. Unless one of the best defencemen was available, that is . . . then maybe.

But bottom line, the thing the Vancouver GM would need most if they traded Luongo is a bulletproof vest and riot police protection!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  07:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Slozo, i knew someone was gonna say that about Beans' comment! Personally, i still don't put Green in that class but will admit that it's prob unfair to fully judge him without seeing more of him. Prob is, those of us not quite as high on him as others admittedly keep saying that Keith, Doughty, etc would prob have just as many points as Green on that team. Unfortunately, it's another of those things we'll prob never know? Maybe they wouldn't and perhaps Green would also approach similar numbers on another team? It's possible that he's just that good i guess?

Anyway, back on the Luongo topic, i agree with the idea that Vancouver would need a top goalie in return and this would be an unlikely swap, unless of course two top guys were slumping badly for an extended period and needed a change of scenery? Kinda like if Luongo's little slump he's in (yikes, not a good time for this) continues, he collapses in the playoffs and then his play continues to slide next season? Otherwise, it's doubtful this scenario will come into play.
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  14:50:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how Mike Green got into this and people questioning his defensive talent; of course that is understandable but shouldn't we be questioning Doughty's more comparing he can't do crap defensively and how 50% of Keiths points are undeserved.....
Make a new Channel for that!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  17:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I almost forgot....

Another thing Vancouver would need in the deal is another General Manager, as their current one would be trading along with Luongo.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  11:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a tough one. I really want to play along but to be honest (and it kills me to say this!) The Canucks are pretty well rounded. Their defense is solid, they have tons of speed, their scoring depth is great, and they have the best goalie in the league (sorry Marty) I can't fathom trading him. I like hypethetical questions but this one is tough....but I'll try...

...Ovechkin or Crosby straight up. Or two of the other handful of offensively gifted players; maybe a vet and an up-and-comer (you know guys like Iginla, Thornton, Stamkos, Heatley, Kovalchuk etc.). And they'd have to be locked up long term or no deal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page