Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Top 10 21 & Under Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  19:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
List your 'Top 10 21 & Under'

Stipulations: No Goaltenders. Ages 18, 19, 20 & 21 only.

1. Steven Stamkos - C - Tampa Bay Lightning

Stamkos has emerged this season as a goal scoring force. Many were writing Stamkos off, after underachieving during his rookie season. (I for one, feel he performed very well as a rookie,) But, he has shown this year that he can produce. And at a high level. I can certainly see Stamkos continuing on his early found success, I'm just unsure to what degree. I don't see him as a 50 goal scorer, year after year. But I can see him in the 35-40 range. Giving the proper linemates.
-

2. Jonathon Toews - C - Chicago Blackhawks

Toews is the 21 year old Captain of the Blackhawks. A talented, centerman with plenty of skill and finesse for his age. He's a big part in the success of the young, developing Hawks. Toews will continue to get better, building on his early success.
-

3. Patrick Kane - RW - Chicago Blackhawks

The second Hawk on the list (1-2), is the other 21 year old Patrick Kane. Kane & Toews are creating quite the tandem in Chicago, leading the way for the Hawks both now and in the future. Not much is needed to be said about Toews and Kane.
-

4. Drew Doughty - D - Los Angeles Kings

Doughty tops my list. The young Defensmen for the Kings, is proving to be a franchise player on the blueline. He posses offensive talent, hockey knowledge, physical player and the natural talent needed to step in to the pros and excel, for a long time.
-

5. Matt Duchene - C - Colorado Avalanche

Duchene came in to the NHL this year, on a team that many thought would finish out of a playoff position. Yet, the Avs are fighting for their spot in the post season, and it's thanks in part to Matt Duchene. The youngster is leading the rookie race in both goals and points, and seems to be a very well rounded player. With time, he'll only get better.
-

6. Tyler Myers - D - Buffalo Sabres

Myers, the big 6'6 Buffalo defencmen is leading the way in the Calder race for the 09/10 NHL rookie of the year. And, rightfully so.
Myers plays a physical style of D, while adding offensive skill to the powerplay, and logging a ton of ice time. Without Myers developing on the back end, Buffalo's future looks fairly dim.

7. John Tavares - C - New York Islanders

Johnny T... he began the year firing on all cylinders, but he has seen a significant decline in his scoring and point totals. But, I'm not going to fully pin it on him. Tavares lacks the skilled line-mates most do, in the NHL. And it shows. Even the highest of touted prospects, can't single handily turn a bad franchise, in to a contender. But, with the help of Okposo, Moulsen and others, the future may be brighter than the current. Tavares is their star, and I believe we'll see what he can really do in the NHL sooner rather than later.
-

8. TJ Galiardi - LW - Colorado Avalanche

I have browsed a few lists lately, that show the top prospects in the NHL. And, I never see Galiardi listed in the top 20, let alone the top 10. But here he is. This kid is a stud. A well rounded player, who will give you points and play hard in the both ends of the rink. Within due time, he'll be drafted in the early rounds of every hockey pool!
-

9. Jamie Benn - LW - Dallas Stars

Jamie Benn has been one of the very few shining stars in Dallas this year. At 6'2, 207, Benn can play physical. He can also score some goals. Benn is another player capable of playing two-way hockey, but he's going to focus more on offense. The Stars could have a nice top line next season, with Benn playing along side Brad Richards.
-

10. Victor Hedman - D - Tampa Bay Lightning

Standing at 6'6, 230 Victor Hedman is a towering force on the back end. Hedman has struggled this season in the offensive department, but when you factor in the physical presence he can bring to the table, a sliding offense can be tolerated. He will punish you, but needs to work on his skating/speed a bit. He'll be a hard hitting, defensive d-man for years to come.
-

---------------Missed the cut--------------------
11. Peter Mueller - C - Colorado Avalanche

Peter Mueller is an offensive talent in the NHL already, at the tender age of 21. Many began to doubt the gifted Center, when he started struggling in Phoenix after a solid rookie performance. But, after a trade to Colorado, he is bouncing back. Showing that a change of scenery is all one needs at times, to show their true potential and skill. Mueller can be a top 6 forward on many NHL teams, especially a young squad like Colorado. He'll gain the playing time and experience he needs, to turn in to a solid career performer. Another youngster in Colorado, developing in to a stud.

---

There are so many more guys who could round out this list, but too few spots. I had to add the #11, due to him being so close to the 10th spot in my books. But, it's exciting to review just how much young talent is in the NHL right now.

Irvine/prez.

Edited by - irvine on 03/31/2010 19:40:24

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  19:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stamkos doesn't hit your top ten? You may want to edit your list as he should be number 1 or 2.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  19:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up. I was going off the top of my head, mostly. And never thought of Stamkos, I guess he has performed too well to consider! :P

Stamkos is my #1, for obvious reasons. But many guys could be in this top 10. The NHL has a load of young talent right now, and it's awesome to watch.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  20:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the list, but I have to base mine off what I see. I don't get many Tampa games in Edmonton, so I would have Toews ahead of Stamkos. Based on every game I have watched of the kid, he already ranks in my top 5 Two-Way players in the game. He was literally team Canada's best and most consistant forward through the Olympics and has also done the same for Chicago. He just doesn't get the goals that Stamkos does. From the limited times I have watched Stamkos, I would take Toews in every other area outside of goal scoring.

I also move Tyler Myers ahead of Duchene. Love them both, but a 6'6" defensemen that can skate like that and play so smart positionally is so rare he deserves to be ahead.

I'm also a fan of Bergfors, Van Riemsdyk, Kane, Del Zotto, Bozak (recently at least), Anisimov, Yip, and Gilroy. I know the list it top 10, but there are many others knocking at that door.

The game (skill wise) is looking good for the future.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  22:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed Beans. I considered Evander Kane for the 'Just missed' spot, in place of Peter Mueller, but in the end for me, Mueller prevailed.

Bergfors is a guy I like a lot. I believe he's going to be a skilled offensive player in the league, for years to come. But, I could not squeeze all of these guys in sadly.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9818
( )

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  06:40:32  Reply with Quote
other guys who could garner some attention:

Voracek, Moulson, Bogosian, and Schenn.

Could any of these guys replace the bottom 3 (8-10 spots) on your list? Maybe Voracek right now, but at least Bogosian and Schenn have that potential.

Beans Bozak is 24. He'd have a hard time breaking into the top 40 in that age bracket (this is right around the age of the famous 2003 draft, which will go down as the greatest in the history of the NHL).
Go to Top of Page

Guest9818
( )

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  06:42:06  Reply with Quote
Sorry Moulson, is about 24 as well I think.
Go to Top of Page

drew
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  07:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bergfors is 23, Moulson is 26

1. Jonathan Toews
2. Steven Stamkos
3. Drew Doughty
4. Patrick Kane
5. Tyler Myers
6. John Tavares
7. Matt Duchene
8. Sam Gagne
9. Jamie Benn
10. Victor Hedman

On the outside looking in is Nikita Filatov, Tyler Ennis, Michael Del Zotto and Erik Karlsson. There are tons of great players 21 and under, but I would definitely rather have any of the above to build my team around.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  19:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you said irvine, just a few short weeks ago people were questioning whether or not Peter Mueller even wanted to be an NHL hockey player. I remember watching the deadline coverage on TSN & they were absolutely ripping the guy for his seeminly lack of heart, dedication, etc.

Fast forward a few weeks though, and the guy has been on an absolute tear since joining the Avs. In 15 games with Colorado, Mueller has 20 points (i wish he was putting up points at that pace all season...i have him in my pool). Compare that to just 17 points in 54 games with Phoenix.

It's good to see him get his career back on track though, he was such a highly touted prospect. And he started his NHL career with a bang, 22 goals & 54 points as an 18 year old rookie. I remember seeing an interview with Wayne Gretzky following that season, and he said they expected Mueller to hit the 40 goal mark in his 2nd season, and that he'd be a future 50 goal scorer.

Edited by - ryan93 on 04/04/2010 19:20:04
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  19:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15I'm also a fan of Bergfors, Van Riemsdyk, Kane, Del Zotto, Bozak (recently at least), Anisimov, Yip, and Gilroy. I know the list it top 10, but there are many others knocking at that door.

The game (skill wise) is looking good for the future.

I really like Anisimov, i think she should develop into a solid player for the Rangers. He's quick, has a great shot, good work ethic, and is really strong downlow & uses his big frame (6'4) to his advantage. He's playing on the 4th line with Jody Shelley & Brandon Prust, so he's obviously not getting big ice time yet, nor does he get much time on the PP, but he's shown he can score (12 goals). I don't see him developing into a top line center, but should still be a valuable piece for the Rangers moving forward.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page