Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Wayne Gretzky Award Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4004
( )

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  09:11:35  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Do you thing the NHL should make an award for most assists in a year, I was thinking for it too be named after the great one?

Choices:

yes
no

Guest9165
( )

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  09:15:52  Reply with Quote
If you give a trophy for most goals in one season I think it's only fair to reward playmakers too. This also gives defencemen a bit of a chance to win an offensive award as most top scoring defencemen in the league have a ton of assists, save maybe Green.
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  13:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why should they? and WHY after the not so great one? This trophy does not deserve to exist, and if it does call it the Thornton trophy! Forwards have too many trophy's give a new best defense trophy the most point D-Man trophy after all the forwards have a goal trophy, most valuable player trophy, and the most point trophy! Defense are not getting enough credit give them a bit more trophy's
Go to Top of Page

Guest9947
( )

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  15:12:13  Reply with Quote
You are right, if they did have an assist trophy they should name it after a guy who has averaged 0.69 assists per game over the "not so great" one, who averaged 1.32 per game. Good point.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4013
( )

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  16:32:48  Reply with Quote
Guest 9947 - 1 Utemin - 0
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  11:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Guest4013[/i]
[br]Guest 9947 - 1 Utemin - 0

I like losing :D
point is NO TO GRETZKY
Go to Top of Page

Guest3421
( )

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  18:22:36  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Utemin[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Guest4013[/i]
[br]Guest 9947 - 1 Utemin - 0

I like losing :D
point is NO TO GRETZKY

That's what she said.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9023
( )

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  00:05:14  Reply with Quote
Utemin, did gretzky bone your mom or something?
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  01:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Guest9023[/i]
[br]Utemin, did gretzky bone your mom or something?

It was a bad experience and he'd rather not talk about it...
But in all seriousness, no the NHL doesn't need an assist award, Points and Goals is enough.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Fastkramer
Top Prospect

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  06:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think Gretzky deserves a trophy, but i think we have enough awards, so no....
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  10:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like there are too many awards, but it is obvious that since there are Points and Goals trophies, then there should clearly be an Assist trophy. It only makes sense.

Furthermore, they should return the Conference and Division names back to their historic ones and name the two surplus divisions the Gretzky Division and the Howe Division.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  11:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering the NHL have Awards for Most Points & Most Goals, why not Most Assists? If a player finishes leading the league in assists, I'm sure they were valuable to the team.

I'd not mind seeing an Award for Most Assists, i'd also not mind it being named the Gretzky Award.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  22:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are enough awards for forwards(since forwards always win the Rocket Richard and Art Ross trophies)

Adding a trophy for more assists is a little bit much, I think. Really, a player that has the most assists should probably be good enough to win the Art Ross, example: Henrik Sedin. In fact, many Art Ross winners have had league leading or close to league leading assist numbers.

In fact, if my numbers are right, in 6 of the last 10 years the Art Ross was awarded, the Art Ross winner also had the most assists.

There is no need for an award for assists, goals have more value than assists. It is a fact that goals have more value than assists: to win a game of hockey a goal needs to be scored, but the puck does not need to be passed to score a goal. Thus to win a game, one does not necessarily need assists. (Although highly unlikely a game will have all goals scored without assists)

I do not by any means diminish the value of assists, I think it requires equal, if not at times greater skill for an assist compared to a goal, but in logical terms, its goals that count, so they have an extra trophy, and good set-up men can easily vie for the Art Ross if they can put the puck in the net as well.

So hold off on the "Gretzky Award" or an otherwise named trophy for most assists. The Art Ross will do. Goalscoring is emphasized, as it should be, in the awards, and complete games, scoring and passing, are rewarded as well.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0965
( )

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  04:40:12  Reply with Quote
THERE SHOULD BE A GORDIE HOWE HAT TRICK AWARD FOR THE MOST GORDIE HOWE HAT TRICKS! =D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page