Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Surprises in first round Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

strech that twine
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  22:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Biggest surprise Bos 2 Buff 1 ...

Sure money was on Phil they hammer N.J all year

Ottawa gone...thank god !!!

Detroit is in trouble and so is Van ( I don't like either of them )

Lets hope that S.J will just go away......

Perhaps a Pittsburgh-Phoenix final ?

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  23:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so far I'd have to say that Philly being up 3-1 on NJ is the biggest surprise. With a 3rd string goalie, I just didn't see them getting out of the first round.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  06:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't call Boucher a third-stringer . . . he has shown in the past he can be an A goaltender in streaks - just not consistantly so. He is playing well enough now, but certainly hasn't stolen a game yet.

Going by this year's records, yes, it would appear that Philly being up 3-1 is the biggest upset . . . but before the season, everyone was picking Philly for one or two in the division with Pittsburgh, and they were expected to be a strong contender. To me, Philly being where they are is not such a big surprise, as they are totally built for the playoffs save for a great goaltender.

For me, biggest surprise is Nashville up 2-1, and impressively so. Chicago's offence has dried right up, and they are in real trouble . . . Vancouver I think is right there, and I think they'll bounce back, although LA is playing very, very well right now.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  08:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I call the Philly 3-1 lead the biggest surprise regardless of the fact they dominated NJ during the regular season. Yes, some teams match up better vs certain teams but without looking into the season series in depth, it's tough to say why? Were the games close? Did Brodeur play and if so was he playing well at the time? Things like that.......

Therefore, Philly leading NJ 3-1 is my biggest surprise, as evideced by my hockey pool team taking a beating! Just didn't see a Boucher vs Brodeur showdown shaping up this way!

Runners up:

Montreal, who i still think got jobbed, being in this series. Yes, after last game, it could be over, but let's not forget just how close they were to taking both games in Washington!

Nashville leading Chicago, a team many picked to come out of the West.

Detroit struggling somewhat with Phoenix. I guess i've sold the Coyotes short? I really expected an easier time for the Wings, especially considering the way they'd been playing leading up to the playoffs.

I'm not surprised at all with the Boston / Buffalo series as i picked up a few Bruins in my draft fully expecting the upset there. Wasted prediction, unless Jersey can pull off a miraculous comeback!

Go to Top of Page

Guest5903
( )

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  09:52:30  Reply with Quote
I'd say Boucher stole game one for sure. The Devils completely dominated Philly for the first two periods, Boucher kept them in the game...so I don't know if you can say he "certainly hasn't stolen a game". At very least it's debatable.

Still, while certainly an upset, New Jersey isn't the biggest upset so far given their regular season performance against Philly, and that Philly underperformed compared to their preseason expectations.

Also disagree with poster that Buffalo is the biggest surprise. I had them as the most upsettable team in the East...

To me, hands down, its Chicago. They were supposed to walk all over Nashville. Most people had them projected to go to the western final, if not the Stanly Cup final. What's happening?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  10:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
To me, hands down, its Chicago. They were supposed to walk all over Nashville. Most people had them projected to go to the western final, if not the Stanly Cup final. What's happening?

What is happening is that Chicago is finding out that Nashville is actually a quality well balanced team that plays a very tight and disciplined game and has excellent goaltending. Chicago does best when they can play run-and-gun offensive style hockey (it was the downfall of the Canucks last year that they let them get away with it), and Nashville is not letting them do it. It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. Going into the playoffs Chicago's goaltending was considered suspect (and it still is), but Nashville is just playing them very well.

I would have to agree, if Nashville wins this series it will be the biggest upset of the first round (unless Montreal or Ottawa manage to come back as well).
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  17:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nashville is boring Chicago to death. They're also boring many fans to death. However, it's the only way their team can compete as they just don't have the offensive fire power to play any other way!

Yes, this will be a massive upset!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2264
( )

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  21:27:11  Reply with Quote
I cant understand how u can say nashville is boring the hawks to death. Have u watched any games ?? Chicago has many small fowards not built for playoff hockey ( montreal syndrome ),
kane, sharp, versteeg..etc...
Watched most of the last game and found Chicago cant get to the net, too many small fowards with no push...pretty passing doesnt cut it during the playoffs, unless your name is Gretzky.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  23:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo: I'm pretty certain that Philly didn't have Boucher penciled in between the pipes for the start of the playoffs at any point until Leighton got injured. On Philly, Boucher is 3rd string, and honestly when I saw first Emery, and then Leighton go down to long term injuries, I figured Philly was going to go out in round 1 - surrounding team or not.

Guest - Chicago is built for playoff hockey. They have a few skilled forwards, complemented by more big grinding forwards and a solid defensive core. They are fast and strong when they need to be, and have a lot of "role players" that can get the job done. Their achilles heel is goaltending, and the mediocrity has been exposed in this series. Nashville plays their game and plays it well, and unless Chicago can knock them off it there will be an upset here.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  00:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2264

I cant understand how u can say nashville is boring the hawks to death. Have u watched any games ?? Chicago has many small fowards not built for playoff hockey ( montreal syndrome ),
kane, sharp, versteeg..etc...
Watched most of the last game and found Chicago cant get to the net, too many small fowards with no push...pretty passing doesnt cut it during the playoffs, unless your name is Gretzky.

I'm really unsure of what you speak of? Chicago went to the conference final last year and is/was picked by many to go to the cup this year, but somehow you figure they're not built for playoff hockey? As nuxfan said, the goaltending is the only issue! Telling us that Kane, Versteeg and Sharp are "small forwards not built for playoff hockey" is ridiculous! They have a good balance of size and skill in their lineup and would be a surprise to no knowledgeable hockey fan if they made the cup final!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  05:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad that some of you agree about Chicago, because as others have correctly pointed out - like San Jose, it's a stacked team, with a good amount of toughness and grit and defence to compliment their awesome firepower. Goaltending is their achilles heel if they have any but - have you guys watched a couple of these games? I am actually of the mind that Niemi has played very well, frankly.

To me, it's the Chicago D that has let them down a few times, and of course (obviously) they aren't scoring. Can Nashville really make this upset happen? We'll find out tonight, because I predict no less than 40 shots at the Preds goalie . . .

nuxfan: fair point, I actually didn't know that Boucher had been relegated to third string this year. Like I said though, going by past performance, Boucher is a good enough goalie in streaks to make Philly a strong threat IMHO (see: Irbe, Emery, etc), because in terms of offence (if healthy, not sure about this now) and defence, Philly is very strong.

Guest 5903 - I forgot about that game, and you are right - Boucher definitely made some game-saving stops there, especially in the last moments when NJ closed to within a goal.

It really is all about goaltending, isn't it? And we are shown again and again, all you need is the best goalie at that moment, not the best goalie in terms of overall skill . . .

Go to Top of Page

Guest9103
( )

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  05:10:52  Reply with Quote
The only one I would actually call surprising is how Chicago is stinking it up...

Boston/Buffalo, Phoenix/Detroix, Vancouver/LA and Philly/Jersey were always tossups... As for SJ, they lose in the playoffs. That's their modus operandi.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  12:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin Brodeur being outshined by Philly's backup goalie.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  13:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most Surprising?

Carlsson
Carcillo
Boucher
Yandle

Most diapointing?
Toews
Hossa
Keith
Kovalchuk
Parise

San Jose's top line
San Jose's special teams

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  07:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philly upsetting NJ is huge. Most people had NJ pretty handily in this series.

Out of the 35 people in PUH's pick the winner, I think only 4 or 5 had picked Philly.

Sadly, I was not one of them.

Wonder how old Lou feels about the price he paid for Kovalchuk for a series?? He will rue the day he dropped Bergfors.

Edited by - Beans15 on 04/23/2010 16:37:00
Go to Top of Page

HockeyGuru
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  14:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You gotta watch out for those teams that just squeak into the playoffs....Philly was in playoff mode for the last month of the season....all the pressure was on NJ....I wouldn't want to play them in the next round......They'll be tough even without Carter and Gagne...I remember a certain Oiler team that was ranked 8th in the west and went on to game 7 of the finals.

Edited by - HockeyGuru on 04/23/2010 14:58:32
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  17:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Philly upsetting NJ is huge. Most people had NJ pretty handily in this series.

Out of the 35 people in PUH's pick the winner, I think only 4 or 5 had picked Philly.

Sadly, I was not one of them.

Wonder how old Lou feels about the price he paid for Kovalchuk for a series?? He will rue the day he dropped Bergfors.

Kovalchuk it turns out was not a good mesh with the game New jersey plays. And since when are you a Leafs fan?

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  18:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh wait, I know; since they at least finished 12 points better than the Oilers.

Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  22:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am pretty surprised about Nashville's work against Chicago. I am also quite surprised that Boston would do this well at all.

Everything else looks about right to me.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  06:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to how surprised people are going to be when Montreal eliminates Washington.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  07:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say, Willus, it really is a possibility for montreal at this point, but I can't see it. The chance they had was taking one of the other games they already blew, and the window of opportunity is gone in my opinion.

They put out a heroic effort for game 5 to win it and Halak was at his absolute best to keep Washington under 2 goals, a minor miracle for that offence. I don't see it happening again, and although they go back to Montreal now, Washington has looked comfortable there, and they will feel the stab of fear that many poolies are now feeling.

Like I said - it's possible, but I don't see it, as good as Montreal is playing. I say they open up the floodgates once again in Habs land, and win it with a couple of empty netters, 6-3.

San Jose seems to be past trouble now, and you'd have to think the Pens can close it out, but Nashville vs Chicago - this one is still very much in the air, and the Preds have played the Blackhawks so, so tough.

Go to Top of Page

freddyboy
Rookie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  21:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think that no matter the result of game number 7, the habs are the biggest suprise of the first round, everybody except some hardcore fans like me, was saying Caps in 4-5, and they can loose it in 7 or win it in 7. The habs surprised everyone with playing the top NHL team and even if all the stats were for Washington, well the habs still hold their fair share of an exciting series

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  05:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree freddyboy - the Canadiens could be the biggest surprise of the first round, and they still might not make it.

Who knows if the Caps offense suddenly starts scoring again, or if they squeeze out a 3-2 o/t voctory, or if Halak can pull off a third straight masterful performance. I tell you though, it'll have to be at least as good as last night.

Chicago made it, so Nashville doesn't give us a surprise there.

Let's say Phoenix beats Detroit at home handily, and Washington does the same . . . does that make Phoenix the biggest surprise of the first round? Looking at the seedings, it would seem strange to say so, but that is what it will be.

Go to Top of Page

Guest5790
( )

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  10:31:09  Reply with Quote
Biggest surprise? Montreal taking the Caps to game seven!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  10:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I agree freddyboy - the Canadiens could be the biggest surprise of the first round, and they still might not make it.

Who knows if the Caps offense suddenly starts scoring again, or if they squeeze out a 3-2 o/t voctory, or if Halak can pull off a third straight masterful performance. I tell you though, it'll have to be at least as good as last night.

Chicago made it, so Nashville doesn't give us a surprise there.

Let's say Phoenix beats Detroit at home handily, and Washington does the same . . . does that make Phoenix the biggest surprise of the first round? Looking at the seedings, it would seem strange to say so, but that is what it will be.

If Washington loses, the biggest surprise would be the top 3 seeds in the East being out in the first round.

I don't think it would a suprises between Detroit or Phoenix. Performance wise both had very similar seasons and had very similar records after the Olympics. It's actually fitting that series is going to 7.

If Washington does win, my biggest surprises would be Philly beating NJ so handily.
Go to Top of Page

strech that twine
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  07:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EXCELLENT..Montreal..now Pittsburgh. (Pitt 3 mon 1 reg.seas.)
Let’s see...
.......Reg seas. Playoffs
Buff -----2...........2
Bost ----4............4

N.J ------1..........1
Phil ------5…….....4

Mont ----2…........4
Wash ----1…….....3

Pitt ------2…….....4
Ott ------2………...2
Things seem to be playing out as per the regular season...

Ramsay
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  17:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure the Montreal thing was surprising!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page