Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Avs & Sens Eliminated Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  21:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Colorado Avalanche and Ottawa Senators were eliminated from the 2009-2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs on Saturday Night. However, both teams should not feel shame.

The Colorado Avalanche finished 28th in the NHL last season, and lost key player and leader Joe Sakic before this season began. Yet somehow, they found themselves playing the San Joe Sharks in the first round of the Playoffs.

The Avs gave a very hard fought battle, for a team that no one figured would even be in the post season. This young team should not be disappointed, but excited and proud. Hopefully, the Avs build on what I consider a successful first round exit. And make an even stronger push, in 2010-2011.

The Sens should be a proud team. They made the playoffs, after losing leading goal scorer Dany Heatley. I posted a poll, before this season began and during the start, asking Pickup Hockey members if they thought the Sens would make the post season. Many voted 'No'. And yet, with all the disbelievers, they made it. Bowing out to Sidney Crosby's Stanley Cup winning Pens, is nothing to be ashamed of. Especially, missing two of your top 5 goal scorers in Alex Kovalev & Milan Michalek. Along with defensive d-man, Philip Kuba.

The Sens proved the disbelievers wrong. And, nothing to be ashamed of. They brought a hard fought battle, making a series out of something they really had no right doing so.

Irvine/prez.

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  22:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with both assessments wholeheartedly - and both to almost the same degree. Before the season though, Colorado would have been the longest of longshots by far to make the playoffs, and most of us - same as most hockey experts - had them finishing last or in the bottom three of the NHL standings. And, they had no business pushing San Jose very hard, but they did, and kudos to them and a great looking future.

No shame for both teams at all . . . and it really is funny how much different a player like Duchene must feel as opposed to a player like Kovalchuk, even though they both had essentially the same result. What a difference expectation makes!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  04:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Senators certainly showed they are a deeper team than most, myself included, had aknowledged them as being. In coming back from a 2 goal deficit entering the third period the Pens put out a reminder to the rest of the league that they are the defending champions and dethroning them will be no easy task.

As for Avs/Sharks - the question of who will bow out in round 2 has been answered.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Guest9103
( )

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  07:43:39  Reply with Quote
Did anyone ever really expect the Sharks to get out of round 2 in the first place? They could have a 130 point season and I'm sure a near-majority of people would still expect them out in the second round at most...

Assuming Chicago wins, I think Nashville has the most to be proud of. Almost everyone expected a 4 or 5 game domination.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  16:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the Ottawa should be proud piece, but it's an awfully bitter pill to swallow to give up a 3 goal lead to lose in overtime and end the season. That being said, I don't see how so many people had them so poor at the start of the season. 2 seasons removed from the Cup final with a stable roster top to bottom.

As far as both teams go, I like Colorado more so than Ottawa. Colorado did what they did with TONS of rookies and youth in the line up. Colorado is the 4th youngest team in the league while Ottawa is the 23rd.

One team is on the upswing while the other is not going to get any better without changes to the roster.

The San Jose out in the 2nd round piece is confusing to me?? I surely don't EXPECT it. It would not surprise me as it is shaping up for 4 very solid teams to make it to the 2nd round. However, San Jose should and still will be a favorite against anyone. It is hard to say who they will play yet, but who would be considered favorites against them??

Go to Top of Page

Guest9818
( )

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  08:22:47  Reply with Quote
Every team that has entered this playoffs can hold their heads high except for maybe New Jersey. The 4-1 exit was punctuated by the 3-0 loss in game five at home. Philly is the bane of the devil's existence.

Montreal is unfathomably still fighting against Washington. Many, experts included, thought that the most likely 4-0 knockout would be Phoenix at the hands of Detroit, and now they've pushed it to a game 7 in Phoenix where anything can happen. Nashville is still giving it to Chicago every game, and could still push that series to 7. And as was mentioned Ottawa and Colorado had great series', with multiple games going to OT. LA has shown that they are finally here, with that team's youth, next year year is looking up.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page