Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Monopoly - yay or nay? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  14:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With 8 teams left in the league, it's a reasonable question. I'm not asking if you think it will happen (feel free to comment on that if you want), but I'm wondering - does anyone want to see Pittsburgh and Detroit move on? Does anyone want to see a repeat final?

Personally, a Montreal vs. Boston / Philly
and San Jose vs. Vancouver / Chicago
Conference Final seems a lot more fun to me!

Edited by - Alex on 04/29/2010 14:02:43

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  14:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to see Pittsburgh in the Final against either San Jose or Chicago. I think that would be the most entertaining series.

Also, I would like to see Crosby win the Cup again and the Conn Smythe. As discussed in a previous thread, imagine:

Winning OT goal in Gold Medal Game at the Olympics
Richard Trophy
Potentially the Hart
Potentially the Pearson Lindsay
Stanley Cup(2 in a Row as Captain)
Conn Smythe Trophy

Can you think of a single season in the history of hockey that would be more successful for a single player??

Epic and Historic.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2758
( )

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  15:47:32  Reply with Quote
I would love to see a Boston\Montreal eastern final and a Detroit\Chicago western final.
Both are very good rivals an all four are from the original six. There would be alot of interest especially from the " OLDER " crowd.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  15:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally i'd love to see a Boston / Montreal series and of course i'd love for Vancouver to make the final, however if it's not the 'Nucks, i agree, a Pit / Chi final would be sweet! SJ vs anyone would be awesome too after all the playoff struggles they've had!

Detroit, nope, i don't need to see them win again nor do i need to see Crosby win yet again although i wouldn't root against it!

Having said all that, a Pit / Det final is not exactly a long shot at this point although Det obviously has the tougher task ahead of them.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  16:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think most people get sick of seeing the same teams up there all the time. It's human nature, right?

On the other hand, I personally don't care much anymore now that I am getting up there in years

I enjoy watching teams laboriously put together a successful program and follow it through it's success. Detroit comes to mind as an example...and I grew up a Leafs fan!!

Perhaps that's why I enjoy watching a team slowly put it altogether, because I painfully cheered for a team with a miserable owner that would cut his nose off to spite his face!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  17:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I want to see Pittsburgh in the Final against either San Jose or Chicago. I think that would be the most entertaining series.

Also, I would like to see Crosby win the Cup again and the Conn Smythe. As discussed in a previous thread, imagine:

Richard Trophy
Potentially the Hart
Conn Smythe Trophy

Can you think of a single season in the history of hockey that would be more successful for a single player??

Epic and Historic.

Indeed. I can only think of one that is close and he didn't have the opportunity to play in the Olympics.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  17:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Indeed. I can only think of one that is close and he didn't have the opportunity to play in the Olympics.
[/quote]

He immediately came to mind of course!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  17:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:

He immediately came to mind of course!
[/quote]

Naturally.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  19:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God please no three-peat

Pittsburgh - Chicago Final please

or

Vancouver - Montreal !!!!! Will never happen, league is fixed right?

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  20:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The two games Montreal and Vancouver played against each other this year were two of the best games I've seen this season. Though I don't thin k you'll see, it would be a memorable finale to say the least. Especially if Montreal takes out washington and pittsburgh ( the two best teams on the east ), Boston ( who took them out last year), what a road to the cup that would be. Bumpy as hell and full of surprises.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  22:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Richard Trophy
Potentially the Hart
Conn Smythe Trophy

Epic and Historic.

To which season/player are you refering to??

Is it Bobby Orr from the early 70's-ish, Wayne Gretzky in the early 80's-ish, or Mario Lemieux in the early 90's-ish??

The only thing those guys were missing was the Olympic piece. Still some pretty elite company.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  05:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come now Beans, do you really think Willus would be referring to Gretzky, when Orr also fits those criteria?!? lol

I would indeed like to see the very best players and the best teams in any situation . . . so although I miss out on a Washington/Pittsburgh conference final, I really would like to see Crosby finish his "epic" season of glory.

The only thing perhaps equally as good as that would be to see Vancouver win the cup and bring it back to Canada. We need to show the american cities what hockey really means to us Canadians, and how you really celebrate a Stanley Cup win.

It wouldn't be the riots and overturned cars of a Toronto or Montreal you understand, but it is a whole different level of caring from the entire population in the city.

So - Crosby and Pittsburgh yes.
Sick of Detroit, so no to them.
Would also love to see Vancouver bring it back to Canada.

I don't mind the odd dynasty, myself.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Fastkramer
Top Prospect

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  05:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm pretty happy with the outcome of the first round!! i would give a stanley cup ovation to any of the teams left in it!!
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  07:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Slozo and Beans on this one. I could care less for Detroit in the west, actually all Vancouver, San Jose and Chicago would be nice to see in the finals. I'm cheering for Crosby and Pittsburgh in the east.

And like Slozo said it would be nice to see the cup brought back to Canada... Vancouver please. If Montreal wins I will never hear the end of it.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  10:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole Cup back to Canada thing really doesn't mean anything to me unless the part of Canada it's coming back to is Edmonton. In fact, I would be more disappointed in seeing the Cup in Calgary or Vancouver than virtually any US based NHL team. I could handle Montreal and Ottawa, and although the Buds are no favorite of mine, the fans deserve it after this amount of time.

Ultimately, most teams still have the majority of Canadian players so regardless of who is winning, the Canadian's still have a huge hand on the Cup. Detroit is the only team left in the playoffs with more Import players than Canadians. Vancouver and Montreal have fewer Canadians on their roster(13) than Philly, SJ, and Chicago.

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  12:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Richard Trophy
Potentially the Hart
Conn Smythe Trophy

Epic and Historic.

To which season/player are you refering to??

Is it Bobby Orr from the early 70's-ish, Wayne Gretzky in the early 80's-ish, or Mario Lemieux in the early 90's-ish??

The only thing those guys were missing was the Olympic piece. Still some pretty elite company.

Actually one of them has an additional major award the other two don't in those seasons. That particular feat will never be accomplished again either.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  13:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trivia of some kind???

Interesting. Willus, please tell, is it the Norris as the other players involved are all forwards???

Assuming I am correct, it is pretty sick to think a player won

Norris, Art Ross, Hart, Conn Smythe.

However, Mr. Willus. In 1970 (the 69/70 season) when Orr won all these awards( the first to win 4 Major awards in one season), who won the Pearson???

I still don't think anyone has won 5 Major awards, but I do believe that both Gretzky and Lemieux had seasons winning 4, simply replacing the Norris with the Pearson.

Crosby's got a shot to join some very elite company.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  00:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The whole Cup back to Canada thing really doesn't mean anything to me unless the part of Canada it's coming back to is Edmonton. In fact, I would be more disappointed in seeing the Cup in Calgary or Vancouver than virtually any US based NHL team. I could handle Montreal and Ottawa, and although the Buds are no favorite of mine, the fans deserve it after this amount of time.

Ultimately, most teams still have the majority of Canadian players so regardless of who is winning, the Canadian's still have a huge hand on the Cup. Detroit is the only team left in the playoffs with more Import players than Canadians. Vancouver and Montreal have fewer Canadians on their roster(13) than Philly, SJ, and Chicago.

Beans, i'm on the same page as you on this......sorta

While the whole "cup back to Canada" thing doesn't do much for me, i obviously would love to see it come back to Vancouver!

This post really shows how much you detest my beloved 'Nucks in that you throw them in the mix with the Flames as teams you'd be disappointed in seeing win! You even have a soft spot for Leafs fans who, while suffering for a few years longer than us, have actually won a cup before!!! Man, you really hate us! I think that avatar is getting in your head! Nice job Slozo!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  09:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Trivia of some kind???

Interesting. Willus, please tell, is it the Norris as the other players involved are all forwards???

However, Mr. Willus. In 1970 (the 69/70 season) when Orr won all these awards( the first to win 4 Major awards in one season), who won the Pearson???

I still don't think anyone has won 5 Major awards, but I do believe that both Gretzky and Lemieux had seasons winning 4, simply replacing the Norris with the Pearson.

Not to derail this thread further but...
Since the Pearson's inception only two players who weren't forwards have won the award. One defenceman and one goalie. It is considered an award for forwards. Evidence of this is in the fact that the years Orr played when the trophy was awarded the following players won it - Esposito, Ratelle, Clarke, Esposito. Were these guys more "outstanding" than Orr those years? It's laughable.

Anyway, to me, to equal what Orr won those seasons, Gretzky and Lemieux would have had to have won the Selke. Winning the Art Ross while winning the best defensive forward. Even then, it isn't quite the same.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  10:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to be picky but two goalies (Mike Liet and Dominik Hasek) twice and one defenseman (Orr) have won the award.

You can't fault a player for winning the most prestigious award given by one's peers.

Awarded annually to the National Hockey League's most outstanding player in the regular season as judged by the members of the NHL Players Association.

Calling the choices other than Orr "laughable' is calling his peers laughable.

Although I don't completely disagree as the Norris is the best defensemen, the equivlant for a foward would be more like the Selke and the Art Ross. However, utilizing the Norris against a foward is like using the Vezina or Selke against a defensemen.

I say winning the Art Ross and Norris is something that may never happen again. But I would comfortably put either season that Gretzky or Lemieux won the Art Ross, Hart, Pearson, Conn Smythe against Orr's Norris, Art Ross, Hart, Conn Smythe season as a fair comparison and tie for the single most decorated players in a single season.

Go to Top of Page

FLYING -V
Top Prospect

69 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  10:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Trivia of some kind???

the pearson wasnt instituted until 71, obviously, had it existed orr would have won it in 1970, being the first defenceman scoring leader. its hard to compare them if the trophy didnt even exist at that time.

Its not worth winning if you cant win big!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  20:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two (now three I suppose) seasons ago we seen Detroit Vs Pittsburgh, with the Red Wings coming out on top... winning Lord Stanley.

During the preseason, and early during the regular season the year following, I predicted a repeat of that Cup Final, but with the Pens winning it this time around. Most around me, didn't believe me... and called it a bold prediction, so early on in the year. Sure enough, it happened.

Now, early this year, I made this prediction again. And with the same result, Pens taking the Cup back to back. With Red Wings, being the West finalist.

I'm not sure if I can go 2 in a row, but it's looking possible. I was surely worried earlier in the year, when the Red Wings were injured and playing terrible. Not looking like they'd even make the playoffs!

Anyways, I'm not trying to brag at all. I'm just saying, I do believe we will see Red Wings Vs Penguins, 3 years in a row. Both teams seem to be dominating their Conference, respectively.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  00:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Two (now three I suppose) seasons ago we seen Detroit Vs Pittsburgh, with the Red Wings coming out on top... winning Lord Stanley.

During the preseason, and early during the regular season the year following, I predicted a repeat of that Cup Final, but with the Pens winning it this time around. Most around me, didn't believe me... and called it a bold prediction, so early on in the year. Sure enough, it happened.

Now, early this year, I made this prediction again. And with the same result, Pens taking the Cup back to back. With Red Wings, being the West finalist.

I'm not sure if I can go 2 in a row, but it's looking possible. I was surely worried earlier in the year, when the Red Wings were injured and playing terrible. Not looking like they'd even make the playoffs!

Anyways, I'm not trying to brag at all. I'm just saying, I do believe we will see Red Wings Vs Penguins, 3 years in a row. Both teams seem to be dominating their Conference, respectively.

Irvine/prez.

I concur. Everyone that I have been saying this to is acting surprised like they never even considered Detroit as an option to make the finals. I have a lot of confidence in this prediction or yours/mine!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page