Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome To PickUpHockey.com
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Web site comments only
 Member ranks Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  17:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a short while ago everyone's member ranks (i.e. rookie, pro, etc) appeared all screwed up. It says Crosby Fan and I (who are veterans) are rookies, and it said Leigh (who's also a veteran) was a pro, and the number/color of the stars is also off. Admin only appears to have one star instead of four, and bablaboushka only appears to have three instead of four. Is something wrong?

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  00:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea is somethin wrong???
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  08:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the influx of new members, and the amount of activity within this forum, we could have everyone listed as legends in no time. So, after some careful consideration, we have decided to alter the ranks as follows.

Top Prospect - 0
Rookie - 150
Pickup Hockey Pro - 350
Pickup Hockey Veteran - 500
Pickup Hockey All-Star - 1500
Pickup Hockey Legend - 2500

And note:
'Yups' and 'I agree' posts will be deleted as we want to continue to improve on the quality of this forum.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  09:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course we are always open to discussion on any topic/decision as this is your forum too.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  11:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

Top Prospect - 0
Rookie - 150
Pickup Hockey Pro - 350
Pickup Hockey Veteran - 500
Pickup Hockey All-Star - 1500
Pickup Hockey Legend - 2500

Aw man, just when I got all excited that I hit 300 posts and became a veteran

Oh well
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  12:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with admins decision. Too many monosylobic members climbing the ranks too quickly. Don't worry Mik - your not one of 'em. Your a veteran in my eyes...lol
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  22:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree..................lol Just jokes

I needed this post to get my rookie status back. But yeah this is better it makes me wanna post more so I can get a better satus with out useless posts.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  09:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey admin, just curious, will I always be an "All-Star Moderator" or does the first part follow the amount of posts I have like everyone else?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  11:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How does one get the honor or "moderator??"

That's like being in the Hockey Post Hall of Fame.

Ah, one day I will see my name in lights along the greats like Bablaboushka and Admin. One day............
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  11:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

Hey admin, just curious, will I always be an "All-Star Moderator" or does the first part follow the amount of posts I have like everyone else?

babs! man...945 posts in season and a half...don't you hve a job? kidding! ...kind of. It's taken me almost 5 years to get 377! or 378, now.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  11:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol thanks Leigh.

As a matter of fact I have a job, am a full-time student at Saint Mary's University in Halifax and am the assistant coach of an Atom A team here in Dartmouth. No matter how busy I get, I always sit down at the computer when I get home to check up on my email, NHL scores, this website, etc. When you think about, my average posts/day is something like 2.4, which isn't all that much when you think about it.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  12:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

It's taken me almost 5 years to get 377! or 378, now.

5 years? Wow! It took me 5 months to get 421! lol

Edited by - Mikhailova on 01/12/2007 12:12:26
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  13:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah there you go Leigh, lol. Mik is on pace to destroy me!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  13:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! Mik kicks ass! it's been great having both of you on the site. it's no coincidence in my mind that since you guys joined up the forums have taken off! As well as a few others of course, you all know who you are.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  19:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha thanks guys
This site is a lot of fun. At school only a handful of people are into hockey. It's great to talk to lots of people who really love it!
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  19:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Haha thanks guys
This site is a lot of fun. At school only a handful of people are into hockey. It's great to talk to lots of people who really love it!

I have been here for month already have 344 postsi think i've been on this site since Dec.6th

Shawn Howard
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  20:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah but don't forget, your first 200 posts were all "Yup"s and "You're right"s.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  02:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Crosby fan

quote:

Haha thanks guys

I have been here for month already have 344 postsi think i've been on this site since Dec.6th

Shawn Howard

That is hardcore 1CF!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  08:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Crosby fan

i think i've been on this site since Dec.6th

I've been here since September 4th, which happens to be Maxim Afinogenov's birthday, lol
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  18:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my 114th post in 22 days thats pretty good i think i started Feburary 27 2007
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  12:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uhhh....what happened to all our stars? And our ranking? Is it being re-done again?
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  13:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No we just have to much posts and it's too much to keep up with and yea naw i dunno ans is this going to change again?

Viktor Kozlov is my hero
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  13:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i thought it was just my comp, but i guess i was wrong
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  14:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what they are doing....

Viktor Kozlov is also my hero!!!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  14:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Admin and I have had a lengthy chat about the state of the forums over the last little while. Even though he will be delivering a more formal and detailed message to you guys soon, I can tell you that some changes will be made to the forums. Changes that we believe will help improve the quality of the forums.

One of the changes that is rather obvious and that most of you have already noticed is that the forum ranks have been removed. We felt that the forums were getting too cluttered with posts that were being made just to "increase one's rank". While we obviously encourage and value people's opinions about hockey and the subsequent discussions that arise from them, we felt that too often the quality of posts was being sacrificed for quantity. While we also realized that I helped fuel this by "glorifying" my milestone posts, I think my achievements were taken out of context.

Anyways listen, I don't know how much, if anything, I was supposed to tell you guys but I just wanted to give you all a heads up that changes have been/are going to be made.

Don't bother asking too many questions about these changes just yet because like I said, the Admin will be clearing everything up for everyone sooner than later.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  15:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't even becaome an All-Star

Viktor Kozlov is my hero
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I think this is good. Only one person comes to mind about the wanting posts. 99 percent of the people make educated posts but there are still the people who are here to make it up the rankings. It dsent really matter about how many posts, I just love this site because of the good hockey talk!

Viktor Kozlov is also my hero!!!

Edited by - Saku Steen on 04/13/2007 03:56:55
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PickupHockey sure is the oddball of online forums:
1. All other forums have member rankings
2. No other forums allow anonymous posting

Of course "all" and "no" are overstatements, but that's the general trend. I can see the anonymous posting side of it, but taking away member ranks? C'mon, I don't think we were getting that ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we don't know what Admin and Babs have in mind so let lets hold off the critisizm a little. And to follow up what Saku said, i person comes to the forefront of my mind, but there are some that i think only try to get up the ranks. Taking out I agrees was huge, but now i think we need to cut out the people who just say the same thing another member said just to get posts.

EG. Bertuzzi hit was really dirty. It was really bad.

Next person Ya I know. It was a dirty cheep sho and was horrible.

If we can get rid of these then I think the quality of the forums will increase drastically.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

PickupHockey sure is the oddball of online forums:
1. All other forums have member rankings
2. No other forums allow anonymous posting

Of course "all" and "no" are overstatements, but that's the general trend. I can see the anonymous posting side of it, but taking away member ranks? C'mon, I don't think we were getting that ridiculous.

I agree with Mik I liked the member rankings
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  17:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would really help would be if you could make it so that your number of posts goes down when you delete them, so then moderators could delete useless posts and you could still keep rankings but move up them more fairly.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  18:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Admin that something must be done. There are far too many posts that people put out there for no other purpose but to get a +1 on their number of posts, and then there are those who do that consistently.

That being said, I'll wait for the announcement about the changes and make my opinion (and subsequent actions) up then.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  19:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If what babs is saying is true then I completely agree with their decision. To be honest I stopped coming to the forums a couple months ago because I felt the quality had gone way down (and I got my butt kicked in my regular season pool)

But mostly I got tired of wanting to have a good hockey conversation and ending up having to sift through garbage to get to any good posts worth discussing. People were posting with out thinking, going WAAAAYYYY off topic, and generally talking about the incredibly childish things like "this is my 300th post, yay me!" or like the lastest one I found today "finish this sentence..." Come on!!!! Lets talk about real hockey issues. Obviously this is not everyone, some people have great insight and I will always be willing to talk to them but too often it was too hard to find them in all the clutter. Did anyone else notice that very few quality posters were joining but the "yups" and "i agree's" and "hey everyone, my favorite colour is beige" were joining like crazy? The crap was winning over the substance so I stopped posting.

Oh, and I have been posting here for years and I only have a few hundred posts, that's because I usually only posted when I felt I was bringing some insight and value (a few exceptions of course) some people are now approaching a thousand posts in a few months? It's impossible if you are writing more than a sentence!!

Am I being harsh? Yes! I realize my opinions may not be popular but admin should know why a long time poster decided to "go on a break".

Take away the member ranks until people start to respect the forums!

Edited by - Ripley on 04/12/2007 19:15:43
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  19:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me i just want to voice my opinion and see what you guys think. The member ranks i though we're pretty cool and showed the people who really like this site. But i agree with people just trying to get up in the member ranks and whatever Babs and Admin chose it won't matter to me i'll still voice my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  20:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, now that a decent discussion has actually arisen from this, allow me to reply (Admin, even though I may have jumped the gun, I think this is a healthy discussion for the forums while it's relevant).

First of all, let me clear something up. We were not referring to or singling anyone out when the idea of eliminating the ranks was put forward. Sure there are worse offenders than others, but it's not because of one particular member that this came up. To be honest, this was my idea and I had it in mind for a long time and since then a lot of people have been taking the ranks for granted.

Don't misconstrue this as being punishment. Mik, it is not a situation where we are implementing this as a last resort because "things were getting so bad". But, coincidentally with the implementation of the ranks, content in posts started to drop yet the amount of posts started to rise. I (we) found this to be quite peculiar so I investigated and quickly found out why this was happening. Members started posting just to post, and some were even quoted on the fact they were posting to "raise their rank" or "raise their amount of posts". Along the standards imposed by these forums and by common sense, one might immediately conclude that this was not hockey talk, something this website thrives on.

A common myth throughout this website is that anonymous posting has diminished the quality of these forums more than members. Now guys, I'm not "scolding" you or anything, but this is actually quite far from the truth. Sure some Guests post some absurd stuff that may not be related to hockey but to be honest, that's easy to control. Guests that do that are often just one-time visitors that post something stupid to try to be funny and never visit again. With a click, that's gone. But when members continuously post useless banter and "I agree"s, my job gets a lot harder. Also remember that some of our more regularly-visiting members started out as Guests who posted in the forums. Simply put, it's a double-edged sword.

The ranks are another double-edged sword. Of course people liked them because it gave them "status", it set them apart from other members. We don't want to take away people's sense of feeling to this website, but what was lost in all this was the fact that at their very roots, these forums are for hockey discussion, not moving up the Pickup Hockey ladder. I know this may have been easier for me to say because I have a different sense of feeling to this website (I'm not a better member because I'm a moderator, but I feel that when I received duties to moderate, I became part of Pickup Hockey, if that makes any sense), but as Saku and Ripley (and others) eluded to, this site is for discussing hockey. Even though I have the most posts on this website (for now), I became and stayed a member because of the fluent hockey discussions that were going on, and I love to hear people say that that's the reason they post too. Mik, if we are a unique forum compared to those on the web, then I say good, because it sets us apart and well, makes us better ! By the way Ripley, it's nice to see you back and I honestly was starting to wonder where you went. What can I say, I always show concern for my Sharks brethren!

The ultimate goal of the elimination of the ranks is to weed out the "post-for-rank"ers and to maintain the genuine, quality hockey discussions that this website is so great to provide us with. We want EVERYONE to keep posting and if post amounts go up, then great! But now, we are hoping that the discussion will be your motivator and not the ranks.

Mik, one last thing. Yeah, I wish the post numbers went down when the posts are deleted, but just doing that wouldn't solve the problem, it would just be a band-aid solution.

Keep the comments coming! You are all members so all of your opinions matter!

Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  21:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Babs you are smart and i agree with ever word you said

Viktor Kozlov is my hero
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  21:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Babs i agree with you i would like to see hockey discussions with good opinions from everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  14:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...I can see where you're all coming from with this, but just a heads up: before joining Pickup Hockey I used to post on dozens of other forums, many of them hockey forums, and I'll tell you; it is impossible to keep a perfect forum. People go off topic all the time, often a lot more so than what I've seen here. People easily have up to 7000 posts and there are dozens more silly games like "Count to 1,000,000" that have nothing to do with the topic and are created solely for the purpose of inflating the post count. Plus they even have whole sections devoted to "Off Topic" discussions. The quality of lots of places out there sucks compared to this site, we're actually not doing such a bad job when you consider the competition (though I agree there are some things that need to be improved, which have been mentioned), so that's why I thought this was a little 'strict'. But I guess in the end it doesn't really matter...as long as you enjoy posting and put out good quality stuff, who cares if you have 6 posts or 2000?

Edited by - Mikhailova on 04/13/2007 14:23:36
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  14:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
A common myth throughout this website is that anonymous posting has diminished the quality of these forums more than members.

I'm not stating an opinion that we should, or should not, allow anonymous postings, not saying which is easier or harder to administer, or which is better or worse. However, I do think your above statement is factually incorrect. Of course anonymous postings diminsh the qualithy of the forums overall. Anonymous posters are unknown, have no history, debates from day to day are difficult, cannot be held to any standard of consistency by the rest of the forum, are more easily draw towards childish acts, lying for fun, fake posts, and numerous other uncontrollable issues. They may add something as well and hence you may have your own reasons to keep them (trying to generate more traffic? get the numbers up? get more subscribers? ...), but don't pretend that they don't degrade the quality of the forums either.

my 2 1/2 cents.

Edited by - tctitans on 04/14/2007 16:05:12
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  05:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There shouldnt be any more guests, they dont do us any good.

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  16:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, now that a decent discussion has actually arisen from this, allow me to reply (Admin, even though I may have jumped the gun, I think this is a healthy discussion for the forums while it's relevant).

First of all, let me clear something up. We were not referring to or singling anyone out when the idea of eliminating the ranks was put forward. Sure there are worse offenders than others, but it's not because of one particular member that this came up. To be honest, this was my idea and I had it in mind for a long time and since then a lot of people have been taking the ranks for granted.

Don't misconstrue this as being punishment. Mik, it is not a situation where we are implementing this as a last resort because "things were getting so bad". But, coincidentally with the implementation of the ranks, content in posts started to drop yet the amount of posts started to rise. I (we) found this to be quite peculiar so I investigated and quickly found out why this was happening. Members started posting just to post, and some were even quoted on the fact they were posting to "raise their rank" or "raise their amount of posts". Along the standards imposed by these forums and by common sense, one might immediately conclude that this was not hockey talk, something this website thrives on.

A common myth throughout this website is that anonymous posting has diminished the quality of these forums more than members. Now guys, I'm not "scolding" you or anything, but this is actually quite far from the truth. Sure some Guests post some absurd stuff that may not be related to hockey but to be honest, that's easy to control. Guests that do that are often just one-time visitors that post something stupid to try to be funny and never visit again. With a click, that's gone. But when members continuously post useless banter and "I agree"s, my job gets a lot harder. Also remember that some of our more regularly-visiting members started out as Guests who posted in the forums. Simply put, it's a double-edged sword.

The ranks are another double-edged sword. Of course people liked them because it gave them "status", it set them apart from other members. We don't want to take away people's sense of feeling to this website, but what was lost in all this was the fact that at their very roots, these forums are for hockey discussion, not moving up the Pickup Hockey ladder. I know this may have been easier for me to say because I have a different sense of feeling to this website (I'm not a better member because I'm a moderator, but I feel that when I received duties to moderate, I became part of Pickup Hockey, if that makes any sense), but as Saku and Ripley (and others) eluded to, this site is for discussing hockey. Even though I have the most posts on this website (for now), I became and stayed a member because of the fluent hockey discussions that were going on, and I love to hear people say that that's the reason they post too. Mik, if we are a unique forum compared to those on the web, then I say good, because it sets us apart and well, makes us better ! By the way Ripley, it's nice to see you back and I honestly was starting to wonder where you went. What can I say, I always show concern for my Sharks brethren!

The ultimate goal of the elimination of the ranks is to weed out the "post-for-rank"ers and to maintain the genuine, quality hockey discussions that this website is so great to provide us with. We want EVERYONE to keep posting and if post amounts go up, then great! But now, we are hoping that the discussion will be your motivator and not the ranks.

Mik, one last thing. Yeah, I wish the post numbers went down when the posts are deleted, but just doing that wouldn't solve the problem, it would just be a band-aid solution.

Keep the comments coming! You are all members so all of your opinions matter!

Yep
Also I know this is off topic but why is this the only free website? Is it because your just nice.

Go Stars

Edited by - SlowShot on 04/14/2007 16:05:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page