Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Steve Yzerman - Tampa Bay General Manager Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  10:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has happened, finally. Stevie Y has left the Red Wings Organization and the city of Detroit, to pursue a new career as General Manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Is this a good move by:

A) The Lightning
&
B) Steve Yzerman?

In my opinion, it's great on both parts.

The Lightning need a fresh GM. A guy who has learned from some of the best (in Detroit), and can hopefully carry that over to Tampa.

And, it's great for Stevie. Had he stayed in Detroit, it'd be a few more years until he got his chance as GM. It was time for him to move on, if he wanted to be a GM.

I'm kind of excited to see what he does.

Irvine/prez.

Jumbo Joe Rocks
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
410 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  10:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He wants a challenge take a not so good team and trade players and picks for better players,who knows in 5 years maybe if he smartens the team up that good maybe they could win the cup again.

RESIGN PATTY

Edited by - Jumbo Joe Rocks on 05/26/2010 12:40:29
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  15:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tampa Bay has a lot of potential with Stamkos, St-Louis, Lecavalier, Tanguay and Hedman. Hopefully Yzerman can bring them to the next step.

I'm glad to see Yzerman getting that job. Good luck to him and his new team.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9911
( )

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  18:15:20  Reply with Quote
Very happy for him, i think he proved a lot with team canada this year and he is definatly worthy of running the show. first order of business get rid of vinny....just do it already....i mean come on, there was a reason he didn't make team canada right
Go to Top of Page

Deaner
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  18:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i totally agree with you guest. stevie y is an intelligent man he should be running the show. I wish him nothing but the best especially since they have something to build around tampa is looking better every year.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  19:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jumbo joe...good comments but i dont think TB is as you put it a ...not so good team...look at Phi. & Mont....7 & 8 seed into the conference finals. I think TB needs tinkering, and thats it, to be a damn good team. Give them a true number 1 goalie and watch out...they will be tough to beat.
They may have Kaberle yet...I got a funny feeling that Vinny may be in leaf land shortly...
Yzerman will make 2 or 3 good moves and look like a god for mostly what is already done...V.Lecav and a draft pick.....for T.Kab, Jussi.R ( goalie ) and a prospect...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  22:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this was a great opportunity for Yzerman. Firstly, it would have been far more than a few years for him to get his hands on Detroit. Kenny Holland's team will be his until he says otherwise. He's signing long term and that's that. Yzerman had to move or be 2nd fiddle for a long, long time.

That being said, Tampa is a good fit. It appears the new owner is interested in building a winner. Let's face it, the only change Tampa has to be a success to stay there long term. The fickle Southern American fan wants a winner and nothing else.

Looking at that team, they have some tools there but are not as close as some might think. And don't give me that 'look at Philly and Montreal'. Leave Philly out of it. They are a very good team that had a ton of injuries and inconsistancy in goal. They were a favorite at the start of the season. There is no surprise what that team can do with the depth of talent.

Sorry, getting back to Tampa. Did anyone look to notice that after this coming season (10/11) Lecavalier and Malone are the ONLY forwards signed?? Heck, this coming season they have only Levacaliver, Malone, St. Louis, Stamkos, and Fedoruk signed. They don't need a few pieces, they need more than 1/2 of their forward lines!!

Defense is a little more stable but let's face it, Hedman is still 2-3 years away from being elite(at the earliest) and no team is going to win the Cup with a 1-2 combo of Ohlund and Meszaros. Their shining light in Kurtis Foster is a UFA and will be looking for a HUGE raise from $600k to go along with his 40+ point season.

Goaltending is a huge hole as well. Mike Smith?? Right. That's a joke. Niittymaki is a UFA as well.

So ya. Pretty easy. Yzerman just has to (re)sign 8ish forwards, 3 defensemen, find a real starting goalie and a back up.

Be prepared for St. Louis to be packed up for a late 1st round pick this or next season and Tampa play competatively for a lottery pick next year. Tampa needs a rebuild and a quick turn around to take advantage of Stamkos/Lecavalier.
Go to Top of Page

Deaner
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  04:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh god i really hope my leafs don't go after vinny i think it would be terrible...in my eyes the only thing good about the guy is that he is canadian. I think the leafs should hold out and wait for something better, maybe an iginla...now that would be better.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  08:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect situation for Yzerman to step into, and it should be easy to improve with this team, as they have some valuable pieces already to work with in St.Louis, Stamkos, Malone, Lecavalier (potentially as trade bait) and Hedman and Ohlund.

Looks like the situation that was handcuffing many a trade possibility has been resolved, and I think we can certainly look forward to some future trades.

Yzerman seems like he has a good head on his shoulders for a GM position, but we'll wait and see how he does here. I definitely think he chose this first step well, as it gives him a very good chance of success (bottom feeder team with good potential for improvement).

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  15:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deaner, don`t you worry...if the leafs ever get V.Lecav. he will perform. Lecav. needs to be that number 1 guy with plenty of ice time. Seems like since the focus in TB shifted to Stamkos ( and he is great ) Vinny`s numbers dwindled.
Just a thought, maybe not. Lecav needs a change of scenery i think, fresh start, and i hope its with the leafs.
Go to Top of Page

Jumbo Joe Rocks
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
410 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  05:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deaner

Oh god i really hope my leafs don't go after vinny i think it would be terrible...in my eyes the only thing good about the guy is that he is canadian. I think the leafs should hold out and wait for something better, maybe an iginla...now that would be better.

I think Vinny would be great on the Leafs and I do like the Leafs Bozak-Lecavalier-Kessel maybe the best line in the NHL

RESIGN PATTY
Go to Top of Page

Deaner
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  16:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that Vinny needs a change but i just dont want the guy in a leafs jersey. bozak kessel and vinny would be good but i just hope they hold out for something better.
Go to Top of Page

Deaner
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  18:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Either way I am already getting pumped up to see just what happens this summer for all teams i think its gonna be a crazy year...I hear Kovalchuk was offered a deal from KHL. I hope the leafs snag him for a big dirty contract.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8592
( )

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  05:22:01  Reply with Quote
Stevie Y should do well in Tampa as long as Stampko's, Lecavier and St. Louis do not hold a grudge for him not putting them on the 2010 Olympic Roster....
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  08:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you guys are nuts, if burke takes on vinnys cap hit for another 10 years ill go to the acc and hang him myself. Hes not the same player he used to be and the leafs are in no position to take on a damn near 8 mil cap hit for another 10 years, the guy is already over 30. Tampa was stupid to sign him to that big of a contract in the first place, let montreal have him. Gomez and Vinny can take up 16 mil in cap space for them.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  18:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Toronto could use a talented Center for their top line. However, I'm not sure Vinny is that guy either.

Lecavlier has been in a decline production wise, in Tampa over the past few years. Is it Tampa dragging him down? Or, is it just Vinny not working as hard, or simply unable to perform to the caliber he once could?

Either way, at his cap hit and lack of grit, I don't see Burke being interested in Vinny, at all. We all know Burke wants truculence, which, Vinny is lacking these days.

I don't see the Leafs needing a player with such a high cap hit, who has been hugely and grossly under performing in the past few years.

It would hurt his overall development of younger players coming up, and to icing a more complete, young team. It's not happening.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  16:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Irvine.

Also I believe Yzerman should trade Lecavalier to Montreal, because I think it's obvious that Montreal fans wants him there. And also it's obvious that Tampa Bay needs a goalie, so a Price for Lecavalier in a package deal wouldn't be so out of proportion. The only thing Montreal would need to dump one of Gomez, Gionta or Cammalleri in order to fit Lecavalier into their forwards roster financially.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  21:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so.

According to TSN, Steve Yzerman's first move is an excellent one indeed.

The Tampa Bay Lightning (Steve Yzerman), have hired Guy Boucher from the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL - Montreal Canadiens Affiliate Club), to a four year Head Coaching contract.

Mr. Boucher had turned down the Head Coach position earlier in the day, for the Columbus Blue Jackets. Then, accepted the offer by Yzerman and the Lightning.

Mr. Boucher was highly sought after, to be the Head Coach. And many in Montreal, had hoped he would stay with their club to eventually, take over for Jaques Martin. (Of course, he can still go back when he's done with TBL -- if he, and MTL still wish to do so.)

So with owners who seem to care, a new GM in Steve Yzerman, and new Head Coach in Guy Boucher, things seem to be turning for the better in Tampa.

Only one thing here has me concerned.

You have
A) New Owners to the NHL
B) New General Manager to the NHL
C) New Head Coach to the NHL

This teams front office, is fairly new to their positions. They will need to surround themselves will savvy vets, to help guide them along the way.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  09:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stevie Y has made his first big aqquistion as a GM Guy Boucher, the hottest non |NHL coach on the market rumord to have had offers from the devils and the jackets aswell,

Pasty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page