Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Brodeur All-time Shut Outs Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  15:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
On January 7th of 2007 Martin Brodeur posted his 87th career shutout what position do you think he will finish his career in?

Choices:

3rd Behind George Hainsworths 94
2nd Behind Terry Sawchuks 103
1st Ahead of Terry Sawchuks 103
Belfour will pass him (he has 75 shutouts)
Hasek will pass him (he has 73 shutouts)

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  15:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say something about georges hainsworth for you history buffs......HE GOT 22 SHUTOUTS (or something around that) IN 1 SEASON.........granted it was 1922 or something like that, still impressive.

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  15:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's halfway through the season and Brodeur has 7 shutouts already. Two more seasons and Brodeur passes Sawchuk. As much as I like Brodeur, Sawchuk was and still is my idol in so many ways. It will be a bittersweet day for me when Brodeur breaks that record.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  16:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sawchuk is perhaps (outside of crosby ), the most overrated player in nhl history. To me nothing is more overrated than shutouts...This comes from 15 years of experience. I would play some of my best games and let in 3 goals, and then get a shutout against some crappy team or not get too many shots.....SHUTOUTS ARE A TEAM EFFORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Sawchuk is also among the all-time leaders in wins. Wins are a very good stat to have lots of, but, again, it is purely a team effort for a win..(this also comes from experience, I played for some crappy team in my 1st year of bantam, had 40 shots a game and played very well...in my 1st (and only) year of jr., I had the luxury of playing for the best team in the league, I had something like an 89% save per (not good at all), yet won something like 75% of my games)...The point I'm trying to make is that non-goalies have a habit of overrating shutouts and wins....Clearly sawchuk played for good teams for most of his career (not unlike brodeur)....There are a lot of underrated goaltending careers due to the teams played for.....For a recent example, imagine how many cups cujo would have had if he played for the Devils his entire career.

I'm a big brodeur fan though...He is a great guy..It is for that very same reason I HATE Sawchuck....He was a jerk!..he'd pick fights at bars w/ fans just trying to give support...He was a severe alcoholic, who put drinking ahead of the well being of his team (I"M not dissing him for drinking, that's his business...but he'd skip out on practices to get blatto)

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  18:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

I'm a big brodeur fan though...He is a great guy..It is for that very same reason I HATE Sawchuck....He was a jerk!..he'd pick fights at bars w/ fans just trying to give support...He was a severe alcoholic, who put drinking ahead of the well being of his team (I"M not dissing him for drinking, that's his business...but he'd skip out on practices to get blatto)

Yeah, Brodeur is a great guy... I guess cheating on your wife with her sister is justifiable to you?

I won't even address your putting-down of Sawchuk. I'm from Winnipeg where he was born and over there he is a hero. He was my idol growing up and nothing would change that. You never mentioned the fact that he played through dozens of broken bones, hundreds of stitches (that didn't come from "bar fights") among a countless amount of other disabilities/injuries. The fact that he still holds the career shutout record after so many years is unbelievable and my admiration for him will never end.

As you would say to Crosby-supporters, you are dead to me!

Edited by - bablaboushka on 01/09/2007 18:40:47
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  19:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't like or dislike Sawchuck because I've never seen him play. I only know his records and history, and from what i know I'd say I'm suprised he only has as much points as he has. I think that guy had the most determination and fire in his belly than anyone around him. They say his brother was the real golie in the family before he died when Terry was a child (7 i think). He was a determined goaltender and had alot of skill to go with. Anut the bar fight comment: he was an alcoholic from what i've read and he had a very tough life. Two of his brothers died. In his career Sawchuck had many injuries. He was a very quiet guy and probably anti-social. His teammates in Montreal said he would never speak...at all(except for grunts or nods). Brodeur will probably pass Sawchuk's record.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2281
( )

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  11:27:45  Reply with Quote
quote:

I HATE CROSBY

hey buddy why do u hate a canadian young blood i think u need to no more about hockey
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  13:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...To me nothing is more overrated than shutouts...This comes from 15 years of experience. I would play some of my best games and let in 3 goals, and then get a shutout against some crappy team or not get too many shots.....SHUTOUTS ARE A TEAM EFFORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

IHC, that is the thing about stats, one statistic standing alone does not mean a thing. But when it is coupled with other stats; wins, SV%, GAA, Games Played, etc., it gives you a well rounded picture of the player. Shut outs aren't overrated, but I think some of your posts are starting to be.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6861
( )

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  21:03:14  Reply with Quote
Hey i am a big Marty Brodeur fan and when he breaks the record i be so happy .Listen he is the best there is the best there ever will be he has so many records heck is is like the great gretzky lol have most of records for goalies. he will own them all in 5 yrs when his contract is over and he retires he have all the goalie recordshe is only 2 or 3 off now so Lets go Marty and anyone things Marty cant break the all time record for shut outs do the Math man he is at 87 and only need 16 more lol in 5 yrs u realive 1 more this year the remaing of his time he only needs to do 3 a season lol he is at 10 he averages 11 lol crazy people lol
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  21:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's at 90 now, after last night.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  01:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where is Roy on the list?
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  05:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on how many seasons he plays will determine how many shutouts he will get...

I think Brodeur is going to play about 4-6 more seasons..
For the remainder of this seaon, I think he will get maybe 6 more shutout. So thats 96 already passing Hainsworth.
Next season he will get maybe around 8. So thats 104. Passing Sawchuck! And he would still have 5 seaons left!!

100% Brodeur will pass Sawchuck and the shutout record!

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~

Edited by - semin-rules on 02/09/2007 14:09:52
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  11:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you mean shutouts...

He won't get 6 more this year, I give him 3 more. This guy is amazing, he's only 9 wins off his career-high 43 and only 1 behind his career-best 11 shutouts! I think he'll surpass Sawchuk either very late next year or early the following year. What a moment that will be.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 02/09/2007 11:36:03
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  09:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Brodeur will definetely pass Sawchuck, unless he gets a career ending injury.

Go Preds Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

saku11
Top Prospect

Canada
82 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  13:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree. brodeur is on fire right now with almost a shootout every game.

habs alll the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4004
( )

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  10:40:40  Reply with Quote
I guess all of you who comment on the negative aspect of Terry knew him well? things and books have been written about him after interviews with his estranged wife and a son who was about 14 when his Dad died. As far as his uncle Nick is concerned, Nick left Winnipeg before Terry was a teenager, so what did Nick know..and he only saw Terry when the team visited Chicago.I knew the guy, sure he was moody, but he was not a dysfunctional alocholic nor was he a bar brawler. I heard a sprotscaster say he grew up in the Sawchuk era and didn't think much of Terry..well Terry died in 1970, the sportscaster was born in 1964..hmmmm, let's see, that would make him 6 when Terry died..hardly growing up in Terry's era. Brodeur, Roy and Terry were/are all great athletes, but put Terry in todays pads and protection and then let's see what he could have done. Reverse the pads and protection of today and take away the mask and see what Roy and Brodeur would do..can't be done..Terry was a great guy..with lot's of pressure...the best
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  17:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brodeur is still playing for a long time he'll beat the record.

GO Sabres GO!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4996
( )

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  07:20:01  Reply with Quote
f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** terry sawchuk

thank you allll!!!!!!!!!

devils rule!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4996
( )

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  07:31:20  Reply with Quote
Hey I'm a devils fan but besides that Brodeur is the best golie that ever lived. He he uses legal pads, unlike sawchuk who used illegal pads its proven c'mon guys. He has no talent it was his cheating, on the other hand Brodeur is a legal clean golie unlike dumb sawchuk. Someone else has to know the real stuff besides me right. Oh yeah Brodeur is climing the stats everywere it is a matter of time before his the best alltime.

GO NJ DEVILS!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  09:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you say that Sawchuk used illegal pads and it is proven, where is the proof??
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  09:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your going to use the illegal pads approach then you should look at the time Sawchuk played in his pads were most likley SMALLER then Brodeurs, What Sawchuk did was amazing and you cant fault him for his pads, Thats like saying if Brodeur or Luongo pass the alltime wins record in a season they dont really get it because of the time they play in, Its not there fualt.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

oil fan97
Rookie

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  10:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give him 4 or even 3 more years this is our best goalie all time.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  10:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oil fan97

Give him 4 or even 3 more years this is our best goalie all time.

I think he is already.
Go to Top of Page

Ddeathblade
Top Prospect

28 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Brodeur will definitely pass Sawchuk. At the rate at which he's getting shutouts, he'll surpass him by the end of next season. (If he's lucky). Besides, Sawchuk played parts of 24 seasons. Sawchuk played 971 games. Brodeur has played 885. In terms of the regular season, Brodeur has 92 shutouts, and Sawchuk had 103. They both average about a shutout every 10 games or so. However, Brodeur will play at least 2 more seasons, giving him about 1000 games. By that time, he'll surpass Sawchuk for shutouts, as well as wins. (Sorry Patrick Roy)
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well he won't get it by the end of this season but he will before he retires.

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest4004
( )

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  12:47:43  Reply with Quote
hey 4996----who is the dumb one? have you ever seen Terry's pad's and/or pictures of him wearing them? You must live in Jersye where the smog hs gotten to you...dumb ass
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page