Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2010 - 2011 Stanley Cup Winner Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  05:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who's got the answer??
If you choose, elaborate if possible.

Choices:

Washington
Pittsburgh
New Jersey
Vancouver
Los Angeles
San Jose
Detroit
Philadelphia
Other
Chicago

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 09/14/2010 05:02:43

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  08:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked Washington just for the pure talent. Also, I'm thinkin' after last playoffs, they've realized it's a team sport, not an idividual sport. If not it'll be another San Jose type curse on these guys.

Can't see the forest for the trees? BUY A CHAINSAW !!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  09:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, I think we all know who I chose...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  04:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No nuxfan, we really don't know who you chose . . . why would we assume that you chose the team you root for? If we respect you hockey IQ at all, cheering for your home team shouldn't come into the equation, other than having better knowledge of them.

Btw, highly ironic (or a bad mistake) to not have the defending Stanley Cup champs on this poll. That should really be fixed.

My vote goes to Philly, but it's a total crapshoot at this point.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  05:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chicago added, skipped due to the fact of the dismantling of this team and a snowballs chance of repeating.......

"Can't see the forest for the trees? BUY A CHAINSAW !!"

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 09/14/2010 05:04:48
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  05:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting rid of 8 role players plus Versteeg and Byfuglien, not the core of the team by any stretch really, cannot be considered "dismantling". A big change, yes - but dismantling suggests a big drop in quality, and I don't really see that. Could be argued that they got a bump up in goal, depending on how Turco plays.

That being said, I don't see a repeat for all the same reasons Pittsburgh and Detroit didn't repeat before Chicago . . .

Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  07:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8 players and counting, still need to lose 1 or 2 more. If 9 or 10 isn't dismantling, then what is? When I say no repeat, it's because it very very rarely happens, especially in the Cap team era.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  09:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hm - looks like someone pissed in slozo's coffee this morning? Yes slozo, to spell it out for you fully, I selected the Canucks in this particular poll - I had figured the smiley face at the end of my comment would make that clear. They have as much a chance as anyone on the list this year.

quote:
Getting rid of 8 role players plus Versteeg and Byfuglien, not the core of the team by any stretch really, cannot be considered "dismantling"

I would agree with Toxxik, that does a dismantling make. Sure, they didn't get rid of Toews or Kane or Hossa or Keith...just nearly everyone else around them. When you turn over half of your roster from a year before, thats pretty significant. How effective do you think those 4 will be without the very important supporting cast that went with them? I guess we'll see this season.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  09:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not dismantling when you are dropping 3rd and 4th line players. Frankly, those players are a dime a dozen. With the exception of Byfuglien, Versteeg, and Niemi every other player that Chicago dropped was not a key to the Cup. As Slozo said, Turco is potentially an up grade and with the exception of 4 games vs the Canucks, Byfuglien could have just as easily been in the press box.

Don't kid yourself, the core of Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, and Campbell is still very strong and very capable in Chicago. Let's not forget the additions of Scott, Pisani, and Potulny fills in their 4th line for a grand total of $2 million and Boynton shores up possible the best top 6 defensive group in the NHL.

Chicago is still the team to beat in the West.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2010 :  09:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could be easier to list the teams that aren't going to win the cup!! The NHL is going to rig things so the Coyotes win the cup this year...heard a rumor from Bettman's uncle's great grandson's wife.

@ToXXik, what no love for the Bruins this year...you didn't even add them to the list.

Anyway I believe most teams in the western conference are going to be hard to beat this year. La looks great, Vancouver can go all the way if Luo holds up, Detroit will be better this year with a much needed rest, Chicago now has the playoff experience to possibly repeat and of course you can never really count out San Jose, cursed or not.

However I feel whatever team in the west makes it to the finals they are going to meet the Pittsburgh Penguins. I think Fluery is going to have a bounce back type of year, after all he is now 25 and should be coming into his prime. They have added some grit with Asham and they have great secondary scoring. Comrie is great fit for this team I believe and will probably play on Crosby's wing leaving Kunitz on the second line where he belongs. It is a shot in the dark but they pretty much have the same core from the 09 cup but with a lot more experience and I don't think Fluery wants to be caught on TV crying again.

When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2010 :  10:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to LA, many players will only get better this year(or at least I think they may).

3 solid lines, excellent defensive core, and their goaltending will definitely improve this year, as Quick will be more experienced, and Bernier may be able to pick up any slack. The addition of Ponikarovsky, and hopefully full seasons from Smyth and Williams.

In reality, though, they are more of my dark horse pick, I expect them to go far in the playoffs, at least.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2010 :  10:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lotzo luv for my Bruins, but, I live in reality as a perpective fan.
B's will be in the hunt, but not winners this year. Next, ya I can see it happening. Sturm and Ryder off the books, Colbourne and company ready to roll, a full season under the belt for Seguin, hopefully another top 3 pick from the Leafs......Who knows, maybe the planets align and hail comes down in hell and we make it to the dance this year......

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 09/15/2010 10:24:33
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2010 :  11:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

Lotzo luv for my Bruins, but, I live in reality as a perpective fan.
B's will be in the hunt, but not winners this year. Next, ya I can see it happening. Sturm and Ryder off the books, Colbourne and company ready to roll, a full season under the belt for Seguin, hopefully another top 3 pick from the Leafs......Who knows, maybe the planets align and hail comes down in hell and we make it to the dance this year......

I think you might only be looking at some of the guys leaving you want to leave. You are clearly missing the UFA status of both Patrice Bergeron and Zdeno Chara. Blake Wheeler is also a RFA and Mark Stuart will be a UFA as well.

That being said, I do agree with your comment about another top 3 pick from the Leafs. We all know that's going to happen!
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2010 :  13:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i voted for other. As much as I hate to say it, I think Boston has a good chance. They have a lot of depth, youth, talent, veteran, speed and size. Plus they seem like a team built for playoffs. Of course their is ifs but every team has them and if the ifs are succesful I think the Bruins can come out on top at the end of this season. The biggest question is Can they score more goals? I think so with the addition of Horton and Seguin and IF Savard stays healthy.

In the west i cant decide between vancouver and detroit.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2010 :  02:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bergy and Chara will get signed, with Recchi, Ryder, Sturm off the books. Chara stated he wants to finish a Bruin & who can see Bergy playing anywhere else? Wheeler has this season to prove he belongs or he'll be a memory by tradedeadline.
Maybe Thomas gets moved when a goalie goes down this year which will free up a lot of cap room and then there's the logjam at center. Bruins have a problem many teams wish they had, too many skilled centermen. So, the future is looking very very bright for the B's.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2794
( )

Posted - 09/16/2010 :  05:55:11  Reply with Quote
The Bruins will definately resign Chara next year, and if Bergeron leaves that will solve more problems than it will create. That being said I still hope they resign both. I also couldn't agree more about Wheeler, he better show improvement or get rid of him. Boson has a ton of prospects in the minors (Colborne,Caron,Hamil, Knight) and of course Seguin. Plus they will more than likely get a top five in this years upcoming draft.(thank you Kessel)

They may not win it this year but the future looks bright and should be a competitive team for the foreseeable future.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9190
( )

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  14:05:10  Reply with Quote
i voted for the canucks. I think the second round curse will finally end and this year they have everything in place to do so. They have elite offense from the sedins, backup offense from kesler and burrows, improvements on defense from ballard and hamhuis, improvements on their penalty kill with malhotra. If Luongo has a good playoffs and doesn't choke, this is their year to win
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  15:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9190

i voted for the canucks. I think the second round curse will finally end and this year they have everything in place to do so. They have elite offense from the sedins, backup offense from kesler and burrows, improvements on defense from ballard and hamhuis, improvements on their penalty kill with malhotra. If Luongo has a good playoffs and doesn't choke, this is their year to win

I would be large sums of money that if we looked back to the posts being made in September of 2009 we would see this exact quote!!

Don't get me wrong, as much as I would love to say otherwise, we all know that Vancouver will finish 1 or 2 in their division and no worse than 4th in the West baring any serious injuries. However, the issue with the Canucks is not their on ice personnel. It's their coach. Alain Vigneault is a fly by the seat of his pants kind of coach that has zero control of that team when it matters most. There is no hiding the fact that Vancouver has been one of the worst penalised teams in the playoffs for the past 2 season. When they start losing, they play very undisciplined hockey and Vigneault can not control them.

That has been their downfall for the past 2 seasons and unless something drastically changes, it will happen again. They don't know how to win or control themselves in critical situations. That's when a team depends on their coach to deliver - a la Joel Quinville or Peter Laviolette in last years play offs. Vancouver will fall again because of reasons the Canuck faithful can't seem to see. Keep blaming lack of defense, lack of scoring, lack of Luongo, whatever.The talent is there, the players on the ice are there, the bench leadership is not. Give that team to a good coach and I would have a hard time betting against them.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  00:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As i've done before Beans, i'd have to disagree. I'm not a HUGE AV fan, but i don't have a dislike for him in any way. If i had to choose like or dislike, i suppose i like him. Totally agree the Canucks have been undisiplined in years past but i don't put all that on the coach. Teams take time to mature and i don't care what anyone says, the coash has less to do with winning that the players!!! It's been a long time since i've seen an NHL coach on the ice in the playoffs!

Having said that, although i did throw my vote the Canucks way, it's really pretty early. My vote would be basically an even money bet and i'd prob never do so anyway (ex, if i were in Vegas right now, i'd play the odds and pick a team like LA who are prob seeing a much better payout than Van?).

As for Chi, anyone thinking this team can't defend their cup is crazy! They've got one of, if not the best, top six in the league with Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, Kane, Toews and Sharp (and a pretty good 7th in Campbell), a darn good experienced goalie coming to a team with a better d than he's prob ever played behind AND the experience of those returning as to just what it takes! Not my #1 pick, but would be willing to bet, the oddsmakers have them in the top 4?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  06:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am starting to think the same as Beans about Vancouver, actually . . . but it was a combination of factors last playoffs, most notably key injuries on defence. With a healthy defence, and perhaps a better Luongo as a result of that better D, the Canucks might have gotten by the Hawks.

But maybe even with ordinary coaching, this Canucks team is indeed ready for the challenge this year - Luongo lost the C, they have better depth at D, and all the key offensive threats are still in their prime. The time is now for the 'nucks, and they have as good a shot as any.

I just won't pick them this year, because they seem to not "have it" against those top level teams in the playoffs, that's all. It's a culture thing, a mental thing too, and you can point at San Jose as a similar team that way.

No, I think it's coming back east this year. I think it'll be Philly, Boston or maybe Washington.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  09:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a reason that elite teams that are well coached will win more often than not against teams that may not be elite but are coached better. Washington vs Montreal last year was a perfect example. Take nothing away from Halak who was brilliant, but it take more than a goalie to take the league's best PP and make it look like a bunch of PeeWee's playing. Martin completely outcoached the entire Washington coaching staff. Same goes for Vancouver losing to Chicago. I do believe that Chicago is a better team however it's a lot closer than I would like to admit. The bottom line to that series was coaching. The Hawks executed their game plan dead on. Vancouver had no counter to it.

And there is nothing that anyone can say to change the opinion that it is 100% the coaches responsibility for his team playing disciplined hockey. 100% Period. The coach's job is to have a game plan that is effective. The players execute on that plan. If they don't execute on the plan it is the coach who is responsible to make the needed adjustments.

As far as this year goes, I still like the Hawks. Even more with Turco in net. But I would think that Vancouver(yes, I said it) or Detroit will find a way into the finals. In the East, Washington is over rated. Brilliant offensively, average or below defensively, and poorly coached. Pitt will sneak in a surprise, but I like the changes Philly made. Few teams have the depth in all positions that Philly does. Goaltending in the only question but when you have a team that good on the ice, average goaltending is all that is needed. Boston is too defensively focused and I think that playoff crumble will wreak havoc on that team.

Philly learned a lot last season and has gotten better. They win the Cup.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  10:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, we've disagreed on this before (the coaching thing) so no need to get back into it fully and i do agree the coach holds some responsibility for his players actions but NO MATTER WHAT a coach teaches and preaches, his rules aren't always followed. Blaming AV for his players lacking dicipline would be to blame every parent of a child who got into drugs and / or crime. Yes, often it's a bad upbringing that leads a child to this end, but sometimes no matter what a parent does or how well they raise their kid, that kid ends up on the wrong path. Sure, a coach can bench an undisiplined player, but in the playoffs, it's not seen as often as maybe it should be?

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  10:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Beans, we've disagreed on this before (the coaching thing) so no need to get back into it fully and i do agree the coach holds some responsibility for his players actions but NO MATTER WHAT a coach teaches and preaches, his rules aren't always followed. Blaming AV for his players lacking dicipline would be to blame every parent of a child who got into drugs and / or crime. Yes, often it's a bad upbringing that leads a child to this end, but sometimes no matter what a parent does or how well they raise their kid, that kid ends up on the wrong path. Sure, a coach can bench an undisiplined player, but in the playoffs, it's not seen as often as maybe it should be?

Ya, I might agree with you after the first playoffs the Canucks threw away for being undisciplined but this is the 2nd. Your analogy of kids and drugs is a little more than a stretch based on the physical and physcological challenges that come with addiction(which I will not even think about getting into). A better analogy would be a business where the Manager is responsible for performance. If the plant is not performing, it is the manager's responsibility to motivate, encourage, teach, and enforce the process that lead to success. The greatest group of plant workers in the world will not perform without solid leadership.

Sound familiar???

And I am not talking about benching players during the playoffs. Some coaches have the cones to do it (a al John Tortorella) however most don't. That being said, if a coach doesn't take the opportunity to manage his team for the 82 games in the regular season then he reaps what he sows.

Regardless, we have flogged this dead horse enough. We will see this spring when the Canucks logo with the putter graces my computer's desktop again before the Stanley Cup Finals.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  10:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Regardless, we have flogged this dead horse enough. We will see this spring when the Canucks logo with the putter graces my computer's desktop again before the Stanley Cup Finals.

Lol, i couldn't agree more, and ironically, i still love the putter logo! I suppose until we (or should i say the Canucks) get the job done so to speak, it's an acceptable logo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  13:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did Beans just choose the same team to win this year as I did?

Must be a full moon.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  14:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say, AV is not the best coach in the world, but he's not the worst either. I'm generally happy with him, he still seems to command the respect of the team.

Last year's Canucks failed due to injuries, plain and simple. There is no way that a Canucks team missing that many regular defensemen (Mitchell, Salo on one ball, Edler knocked out of game 5 - they played with 6 for that whole series!), and with injuries to Burrows and Kesler, and a few other key forwards, was going to go far against a very strong and healthy Chicago team. When you have one scoring line functioning, and your top 4 dmen include Alberts and SOB, you're in trouble. Even if Scotty Bowman is your coach.

Last year's playoffs showed glaring holes in the Canucks, and I think they've done a great job to fill them in. We have far better depth on defence - there are 9 dmen that could start the year in Vancouver, so we have enough quality dmen in case of injuries (it sucks to have to call up Lawrence Nycholat during the playoffs), and I really like our top 6. We added to our forwards, and I think the Canucks have 4 solid lines with additional skill and sandpaper on the bottom 2 lines. Luongo *should* be better this year without the C.

The Canucks have as good a shot as any team does this year, on paper at least.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page