Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Vancouver Canucks 2010/11 season Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  22:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised that no one else had started this thread... I too was waiting for the pre-season to begin before kicking this off, so here we go.

Just got back from the EDM/VAN preseason game, which was the first game for many of the regulars. I'm not particularly worried that we're 0-3 in the pre-season, but if we're playing next week like we played tonight, I may be worried. The bright spot tonight was Luongo - he looked sharp. 2 goals on 23 shots, and both goals were tough (odd man breakaway, and an own-goal off Alberts). He faced a lot of shots, and constant pressure from a pretty determined EDM team, and made a lot of sharp saves. A second bright spot - Hamhuis. Very reliable defensively, showed some offensive potential, and was especially good killing penalties. Other than that, there were a lot of forgettable performances - players mainly looked "off", lots of missed passes, blind passes up the middle, people just not clicking. Like I said, I'm not worried.

I think Luongo will have a bounce back year this year, he looked good tonight, and seems determined. Schneider looks to be capable, if unspectacular, as a backup.

I'm excited about the defense. Hamhuis was very good tonight. Edler was passable, Erhoff had a brutal night. Didn't see Ballard, Bieksa, SOB, or Rome. I was very impressed with Kevin Connauton, he played a solid defensive game with a few big hits. I don't think there will be room for him to make the team this year, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't with the team next year (or was first callup if we need someone). I cannot see him not making the team soon.

Forwards were all over the place. While Burrows is injured, the Canucks are looking for someone to play with the Sedin's - they tried nearly everyone tonight, and no one stuck. The line that was most consistently seen was a second line of Mason-Kesler-Samuelsson, which looked pretty sharp at times, but was lacking finish. We'll see how they gel. Did not see any of the regular 3rd or 4th lines. As for prospects, nothing stood out - Shirokov was invisible, Schroeder had one good rush and went away, Lee Sweatt played about 10 minutes and looked tiny on the ice. Oreskovich was OK. Got some good grinding minutes from Desbiens and Volpatti had a fight and scored EDM's second goal.

Overall, I don't think many of the prospects are going to make the team on a regular basis this year. The Canucks are pretty deep coming into the season with already-signed players, and I saw nothing to make me think that anyone is really ready to make the team, except Connauton who has no chance because of our deep one-way-contract-laden defense.

Once the regulars work out the kinks (this was the first game for the Sedin's, Kesler, Raymond, Edler, Erhoff, Luongo), they'll be fine. I still predict another Pacific division title, a possible conference shot, and a legitimate chance at a cup run.

Edited by - nuxfan on 09/22/2010 22:47:15
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page