Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Tretjak wants another Summit Series Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  15:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting article from TSN...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=194120&hubname=nhl

The 1972 "September to Remember" will be 35 years ago this year, and he wants a Canada-Russia eight-game 'anniversary' series.

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  17:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! that would be amazing. Logistically challenging with the NHL schedule but wouldn't that be cool?!?!
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  17:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i forget who said this but i think it was an announcer on sportsnet who said before we (Canadians) wouldn't even know who the Russians were but know they would be playing some of the biggest names in hockey like Ovechkin,Kovalchuk,Malkin,Datsyuk etc. and that the hatred wouldn't be there like i don't think we'll be seeing another one of those brawls like the one in 87 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ydbATVriqA

But it still would be an entertaining game just not as entertaining.

Edited by - -oil-country- on 02/02/2007 17:53:01
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  18:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oil-Country that brawl came in the IIHF word jouniers, the summit series was an 8 game series with half the games there and half the games here, it would be tight to see, considering some of the NHLs most talented players are russian

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  19:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree leigh, it'd be amazing! It wouldn't have the old rivalry since many great NHL players are Russian and play alongside Canadians, but it's a hockey game, it'll still be fun to watch!

Tretjak may have some trouble getting it past Bettman though...Bettman has a history of screwing things up.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 02/02/2007 19:08:49
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  19:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would not have the same appeal as the first. Not only was the first one in the middle of the cold war, but there weren't any Russians playing in the league at that point. A few maybe, but not many. I think it would be a big bust.
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  21:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

Oil-Country that brawl came in the IIHF word jouniers, the summit series was an 8 game series with half the games there and half the games here, it would be tight to see, considering some of the NHLs most talented players are russian

CANUCKS RULE!!

I was unaware that the brawl was in the IIHF world JUNIORS but still i don't think it would be the same but hey like Mik said it's hockey it'll be fun to watch pretty much no matter what.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  07:16:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be cool and soo exciting to watch. I saw the old Summit Series on DVD and it was awsome.

~You play to win the Game~ Herm Edwards
Go to Top of Page

jmsmorris
Top Prospect

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  16:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be extremly cool. I saw the old series on DVD and it was AWSOME!!!!! It probably would be pretty diffrent now with all the best Russians playing in the NHL now as opposed to the Red Army team then and without the democracy vs commie theme of the original but still a novel idea.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  21:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I would not have the same appeal as the first. Not only was the first one in the middle of the cold war, but there weren't any Russians playing in the league at that point. A few maybe, but not many. I think it would be a big bust.

Beans15 hit the nail on the head...

After all tomorrow is another day...
Go to Top of Page

Guest4044
( )

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  23:14:10  Reply with Quote
we don't have to live in the past. It doesn't have to be anything like the old series. The point is that it is the 2 best hockey nations battling it out. but unfortunately the NHL probably wouldn't allow it.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  09:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canada and Russia are not the two big powers in hockey they once were. What about the Czechs, Fins, and Swedes??? The closest thing to a Summit Series you will see is call the World Hockey Championship or the Olympics. Seriously, what would give this series an appeal?? Again, the first one had the Cold War and literally no Russians playing in the league. It had a mystique about it. It was also very physical and that would NEVER get duplicated. For example, does anyone out there think that a Canadian today would pull an Espo and challenge a guy to a fight from the penalty box?? Would a Russian accept?? Do you think that the Russians would stay in their dressing room and not come out because of the physical play and bad refereeing?? Not a chance in hell. This would be a pansy waste of time with nothing on the line. It would be a media circus about Crosby and Ovechkin and the thought of it makes me feel a little like throwing up.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  11:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canada and Russia are not the ONLY two hockey powers as they once were, they are two of the seven current hockey powers (Canada, Russia, FInland, Sweden, Czech Republic, USA, Slovakia)

And I don't think the point is to re-enact the old Summit Series (that would be impossible given how much things have changed since the Cold War), the point is just to have the two nations play together again as an anniversary marker of the 1972 Series. At least, I think...I'm not Tretjak so I wouldn't know. You'll have to ask him.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 02/05/2007 11:44:49
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  13:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the sportscasters on either TSN or Sportsnet said it best, "Enough is enough!" We already have the Olympics, World Championships, World Juniors, World Cup, and Spengler Cup. The rivalry is not there, and we don't hate the Russians as we once did. We see so much of them now, and there is nothing mysterious about them.
Besides, I sincerely doubt any owner in the league would even agree to this. An 8 game series between any two teams would get hostile eventually, and no owner would risk injury to one of their star players.
What we need is a moratorium on international tournaments for a couple of years, then watch the fireworks at the Olypics.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  15:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The World Cup, Olympics, World Championships, etc are held repeatedly every four years or every year, depending on the event. Tretjak's Summit Series would only be held ONCE--this September--simply as a way of remembering the old Series. Obviously it would not be the same as the original Series (as I said earlier), but that's not the point.

But for those whole think it's not a good idea, it's probably not going to happen. There is indeed a risk of injury, and Bettman most likely won't go through with it.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 02/07/2007 16:58:13
Go to Top of Page

Guest9872
( )

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  16:56:33  Reply with Quote
call me crazy...but dont you think it would be just a little bit like...say... a north america vs. world all star game?
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  17:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, because russia isnt the only "world" team and canada isnt the only "North America" team

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

saku11
Top Prospect

Canada
82 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  13:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great idea i like that guy.

HABS ALL THE WAY
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  19:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We could put three teams in plus one Russian team, and see who wins the tournament...We have more depth than any country...

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright, until they speak...
Go to Top of Page

saku11
Top Prospect

Canada
82 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  19:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i didnt get what you said puck

HABS ALL THE WAY
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  19:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought that I would make a point about the depth that we have...

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright, until they speak...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page