Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Monteal goalies Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublechamp7
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  10:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Looking back now, did montreal make a good trade sending Halak to St.Louis for Eller?

IM A CHAMPION!

Choices:

Yes
No

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  10:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad, Bad trade....Halak was worth a lot more than what Montreal got for him in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  11:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The value of the trade was fair considering Halak was an RFA. If Halak has been under contract for another 2+ seasons than the value was not right.

That being said, how could anyone say it was a bad trade considering where Montreal sits in the standings through more than 1/4 of the season. They are poised to own the NE division and make the playoffs with home ice advantage.

Where is STL???? Out of the playoffs.

Furthermore, Halak was brilliant through the first 10 games but has been less than average in the past 10 games. Price has been solid from the drop of the puck on day one. Price is in the top 5 in most statistically catagories and has allowed more than 3 goals in just 2 of his 25 starts.

Doing a very early on report card, the deal was dead on for Montreal. They are winning. STL continued to be an enigma of a team that should do better but can't seem to be. Although, I will say that STL is a far different team with Oshie and Perron in the line up.
Go to Top of Page

Halfbak3d
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  13:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being from montreal,at the end of last season when they announced the trade,I was furious...Not because they let go of Halak even if he saved the season and almost singlehandedly took off pittsburg and washington of the playoffs,but because I felt like we were being robbed..But now with time and after having seen Eller play,I can say this is a fair trade,Eller has got mad skills..I'm sure he'll be a great player in the NHL and like somebody said,Halak was an RFA so his value was being dropped down because of this..so yeah,fair trade.

[Mod Edit - No Spam Please]

Edited by - Beans15 on 12/05/2010 15:19:31
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  14:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
Where is STL???? Out of the playoffs.

Although, I will say that STL is a far different team with Oshie and Perron in the line up.

Quit rubbing in the fact you're currently winning our bet!!!

As for Oshie and Perron, i certainly didn't think they'd make this big of a difference??? St Loius is on a Maple Leafs - like scoring trend right now!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  14:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Bad, Bad trade....Halak was worth a lot more than what Montreal got for him in my opinion.

Duke, i can understand why someone would think this by just looking at Eller's numbers this year, I am just curious this is in no way meant as a jab or an insult but how many Habs games have you seen this year? Again i'm not trying to insult you or anything i just know you follow the Leafs religiously but if you watch the habs as often as i do you would notice how amazing Eller is going to be.

Eller can skate and Handle the puck with the best of them his skill is right up there. He is extremly good at winning his battles along the boards, you know those players who just have a good stick? you know when you think they re beat and they reah back with their stick and all of a sudden they come out with the puck? Eller is this type of player, he has got the size 6ft 2 198 lbs, and he is by no means a lazy player, he comes back hard on defense every play and plays like he would do anything to score in the offensive zone. Plus he has shown a bit of an edge he does not shy away from physical play he even encourages it!

oh and he's a 21 year old rookie!

Sure the numbers are not there but the play is there, Eller has all the tools and the work ethic... i can see Eller becoming exactly like Tomas Plekanec only a little more physical and actually a little more talented, time will tell but Lars Eller will be the real deal and if he turns into a 60 point player this trade is a win!,,

"In 1962 I was named Minor League Player of the Year. It was my second season in the bigs." - Bob Uecker

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
being without Oshie and Perron (and Polak, and now perhaps McDonald) is huge for them. If McDonald is now out for a while, this might be a write off season for STL.

Alex - imagine the Canucks missing their top centre, one of their top 2 LW, and a top-4 dman for extended periods. And now possibly their second line C. Bad news for STL if this keeps up.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  18:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup....i know what you mean. I guess Halak will just have to start playing like he did in the playoffs last year. I really don't wanna buy Beans' beers for the openning night of playoffs!
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  19:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was a good trade for both teams. St Louis now has a player that can lead them to a cup, even though they are losing Halak is making big saves with no Defense or offense. And on Montreal the team would have been better with Halak for a year, but Price has proved this year he could be powerful in the long run.

Don't hate me because i'm Beautiful
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  05:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh and in the 6 games that Eller has been moved back to center his natural position, he has 2 goals and 2 assist,,, Eller has all the tools to be a Kesler type player

"In 1962 I was named Minor League Player of the Year. It was my second season in the bigs." - Bob Uecker

Edited by - Pasty7 on 12/06/2010 07:46:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page