Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Over Rated and Under Rated Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ci_1612
Top Prospect

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  03:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just give me your most over rated and under rated players in the league today, for me..
Over rated- The combo of Lecavalier and St.Louis because if they weren't on the same line my guess is both of them would be 70-80 point guys max and right now they'll probably both break 100.
Under rated- Marc Savard, the guy is 4th in league scoring and is second in PPG behind only Crosby and I hardly hear about him because A. He plays for the Bruins and B. Most of his points (60) are assists and when he does score they are rarely highlight reel quality.. but he is the best playmaker in the league hands down.

Chris Illsley

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  08:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under rated - absolutely Marc Savard. I agree he is the best playmaker in the league. The next Adam Oates if you will.
Over rated i'll have to think about for a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  09:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also agree with Savard as the most under-rated. Well, at least the best player with the least media coverage.

I disagree with Lecavalier and St. Louis. Why can you fault them for playing together?? Besides that, even you guess of 70-80 point a year on different lines that still puts them near the top 30 in the league. Them being 2 and 3 in the league this year is pretty impressive.

My vote for more over-rated player is Saku Koivu. I appreciate that he fought cancer. He is one tough S.O.B. Unfortunately, that has not made him a better hockey player. He is not even a point a game guy, has never led his team anywhere near the Cup, and is a (-) player for his career. With all of that, many people still think he walks on water.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  10:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im going to have to think about whos over rated.
Under Rated: Ray Whitney 63 games 70 points and ive never herd his name mentioned on a sports show

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  16:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ci_1612

Over rated- The combo of Lecavalier and St.Louis because if they weren't on the same line my guess is both of them would be 70-80 point guys

That's still pretty good...
Go to Top of Page

ci_1612
Top Prospect

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  17:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I'm not saying that they aren't good hockey players cause yes they are but they get alot of media attention when other players who don't have another good player beside them and get 70-80 points in a season don't get metioned even close to them thats all. To wrap it up and this is my main point, they are the best duo in the league but their individual talent is no wheres close to being 2 and 3 in the league

Chris Illsley
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  17:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Under rated - absolutely Marc Savard. I agree he is the best playmaker in the league. The next Adam Oates if you will.
Over rated i'll have to think about for a bit.

I want to add Kaberle to the under rated side. Very smooth and relaxed.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0340
( )

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  17:25:46  Reply with Quote
Marty Turco is overrated and I thought that before this season...he puts up solid stats in the regular season and then flops in the playoffs.

I agree with all of the underrated players that have been mentioned so far.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

hockey coach
Top Prospect

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  20:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most under rated i would say savard is a good pick.i thought for sure his pt total would decline after signing with the bruins. he sure would look good with iginla on his wing.

over rated player or player that gets more hype than he should i pick pavel datsyk. in regular season he good but come play off time can you say yashin???? i think thier stats are oftly close to compare.
Go to Top of Page

guinman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  23:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
underated: Kevin Bieksa - 2 way workhorse

honourable mention: Chris Mason, Mark Eaton

overated(and woefully overpaid): Bryan McCabe - giveaway goat, especially in playoffs - colossal whining superbitch

dishonourable mention: Chris Pronger, Colin White, Turco

Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  00:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under-rated - cory stillman (never the first guy you think of)
Over-rated - Dwayne Roloson (not even really a first string)
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  05:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I also agree with Savard as the most under-rated. Well, at least the best player with the least media coverage.

I disagree with Lecavalier and St. Louis. Why can you fault them for playing together?? Besides that, even you guess of 70-80 point a year on different lines that still puts them near the top 30 in the league. Them being 2 and 3 in the league this year is pretty impressive.

My vote for more over-rated player is Saku Koivu. I appreciate that he fought cancer. He is one tough S.O.B. Unfortunately, that has not made him a better hockey player. He is not even a point a game guy, has never led his team anywhere near the Cup, and is a (-) player for his career. With all of that, many people still think he walks on water.

Saku Koivu is over-rated? No, he has never led them to the cup and defence isnt his strongest skill but he has amazing leadership and with all the young guys on the team they need him. Also, how much do you see him in the penalty box?
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  13:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over Rated- Gotta think.
Under Rated- Rod Brind'Amour, the guy is a great leader and is very healthy, he is also in 16th for points.

Go Preds Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  13:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Underrated - Patrick Marleau

Overrated - Miikka Kiprusoff
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  13:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Underated - Jaroslav Halak, Marc Savard

Overated - Ryan Miller

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest2978
( )

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  14:09:34  Reply with Quote
babs your so full of yourself
you are always hating on calgary
Go to Top of Page

Guest0032
( )

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  14:40:32  Reply with Quote
Most under rated players - selanne, sakic, whitney, savard, hannan and markov

Most over rated players - cheechoo, souray, afinogenov, boucher, spezza and perrault
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  15:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And who are you?

You're right, I hate Calgary and I passionately hate Kiprusoff. What, there is not one team in the league you don't like?

If you would like to post on this website, please contribute an opinion and not criticize other members, myself included.
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  15:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0032

Most under rated players - selanne, sakic, whitney, savard, hannan and markov

Most over rated players - cheechoo, souray, afinogenov, boucher, spezza and perrault

How is Perreault over rated? He wasn't signed 'til like what, 2 months into the season and he has 38 points and has best faceoff win %.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  18:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew there was someone i thought was overrated but i wasn't coming to me. Then i just realized who it was. This is going to draw the ire of the Edmonton fans here but.... I believe Ryan Smith is totally overrated. Yes he tries and tries. He's the heart of the Oil, but i just don't see the talent.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  20:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willus, I am the biggest Oiler fan on this site and sadly I have to agree with you. I think he is over rated compared to the other guys out there getting $5 million per year. However, his heart, grit, and PK ability does not make him a poor player. Willus, if you do want to see the talent, take a look at him play in front of the net. He is the best in the league in front of the net on the PP. And Oiler fans, before you burn me at the stake, look at this list of players who make between $5-$6 million per year and honestly tell my that Smyth is not on the lower half of this group.

Kovalchuk
Savard
Briere
Tanguay
Jokinen
Gaborik
Gomez
Brodeur
Gagne
Sakic
Forsberg

Edited by - Beans15 on 02/26/2007 20:22:16
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  20:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After looking at that list i agree with you. But i's pay Smyth 5 M before Tanguay or Jokinen.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  06:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Willus, I am the biggest Oiler fan on this site and sadly I have to agree with you. I think he is over rated compared to the other guys out there getting $5 million per year. However, his heart, grit, and PK ability does not make him a poor player. Willus, if you do want to see the talent, take a look at him play in front of the net. He is the best in the league in front of the net on the PP. And Oiler fans, before you burn me at the stake, look at this list of players who make between $5-$6 million per year and honestly tell my that Smyth is not on the lower half of this group.

Kovalchuk
Savard
Briere
Tanguay
Jokinen
Gaborik
Gomez
Brodeur
Gagne
Sakic
Forsberg

I agree he's great in front of the net. That's his niche. He had to find something that would keep him in the NHL and that was it. He's the new king of the garbage goal. it's not pretty but he gets them in the net.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  06:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
-oil-country- Posted - 02/26/2007 : 20:35:05
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After looking at that list i agree with you. But i's pay Smyth 5 M before Tanguay or Jokinen.

Funny that both Tanguay and Jokinen are having more productive seasons that Smyth and are younger. I think you might be thinking with your heart a little bit on this one.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4685
( )

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  18:43:42  Reply with Quote
Marc savard is underrated...sergie sampsonov is overrated!!
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  20:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Underated: Jussi Jokinen or Sheldon Souray

Overated: Jeff Friesen or Sergei Samsonov

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  20:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny that both Tanguay and Jokinen are having more productive seasons that Smyth and are younger. I think you might be thinking with your heart a little bit on this one.

I dunno just my opinion that i would take Smyth over them. Even though they are younger and are more productive i don't see them leading there team, well kind of Jokinen but not Tanguay.
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  18:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over-rated= I dunno...maybe Naslund... to me atleast
Under-rated= Huselius, Alfredsson, David Vyborny, Nagy, Comrie, Cammalleri, Domi( underrated for his goal scoring-he could do it), Leclaire HAS EVERYONE FORGOTTEN THE LEGION OF DOOM!? SIGN HIM SIGN HIM SIGN HIM!!!
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  19:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most overrated of all time: Patrick Roy

Many many underrated players...
Go to Top of Page

Ddeathblade
Top Prospect

28 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  22:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to say that Marc Savard is WAY under-rated. He's a brilliant passer, and deserves much more attention than he gets. If he had someone on his team who could score, he could have as many points as Thornton. In terms of over-rated, i'll need to think.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  22:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by -oil-country-

quote:

quote:

I dunno just my opinion that i would take Smyth over them. Even though they are younger and are more productive i don't see them leading there team, well kind of Jokinen but not Tanguay.

I agree with Beans I dont think you would think that at all if you werent an Oilers fan, Tanguay and Jokinen are both better players and highly more skilled then Smyth.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

oil fan97
Rookie

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  08:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over rated: Gonchar
Under rated: Halak

Oilers Rule!!!

Edited by - oil fan97 on 03/26/2007 08:58:42
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  09:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oil fan97

Over rated: Gonchar
Under rated: Halak

Oilers Rule!!!

I agree. Halak is doing great for the Canadians and he isn't get much praise.

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest9655
( )

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:27:06  Reply with Quote
Overrated:
- Crosby - sorry, he's not the "Next" one!
- Sundin - Leafs fans keep saying that he needs this player with him, or he needs that player with him....If he was good, he would make the others around him better!
- Ryan Smyth - The most unexciting player to watch....And that is the face of the Oil? Sheesh! You guys need a face lift!
- Kipper - Ain't seen no cup yet.....
- Cheechoo - not as good as he thinks he is
- Thornton - needs to score more goals - totally one-dimensional!

Underrated:
- Alex Frolov - Dude plays in an aweful team setting, and still manages to get 30+ goals!
- Selanne - one of the highest goal scorers this season and nary a mention
- Savard - I agree with everyone here
- Sakic - Makes others around him better, and the best Canadian hockey player still playing!

Hangin' in T.O.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9655

Underrated:
- Alex Frolov - Dude plays in an aweful team setting, and still manages to get 30+ goals!
- Selanne - one of the highest goal scorers this season and nary a mention
- Savard - I agree with everyone here
- Sakic - Makes others around him better, and the best Canadian hockey player still playing!

Hangin' in T.O.

Sakic is not underated. Everyone knows that he is amazing, and that he is the life of Colorado. Selanne is also not underated!!!

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~

Edited by - semin-rules on 03/26/2007 11:53:02
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  12:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9655

Overrated:
- Ryan Smyth - The most unexciting player to watch....And that is the face of the Oil? Sheesh! You guys need a face lift!
- Kipper - Ain't seen no cup yet.....

Good calls, but:
quote:

- Cheechoo - not as good as he thinks he is
- Thornton - needs to score more goals - totally one-dimensional!

Did Cheechoo ever publicly declare himself a hero? I said he is a 30-40 goal scorer, and the fact that he's 30+ right now in a season where he's missed a half dozen games and has been playing on a bad knee is pretty darn good.

I don't understand how Thornton could possibly be over-rated. If word was spreading that he was a playoff god, then yeah I would agree. Right now he is 2nd in scoring and seems to be the only one who could catch Sidney and he hasn't even earned A DISCUSSION about being the MVP this year. I don't think that's being over-rated. I'm not suggesting he deserves it more than Crosby-Brodeur-Luongo, but he deserves to at least be considered, which he is not.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 03/26/2007 12:11:20
Go to Top of Page

Buddyno2000
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
606 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  12:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

Underated: Jussi Jokinen or Sheldon Souray

Overated: Jeff Friesen or Sergei Samsonov

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~

Sorry Man but I don't believe that Souray Is underated I would rater say he is Overrated and I realy mean OVERated

Go leafs Go by the way
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  14:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Underrated - Jason Smith - The heart and soul of Edmonton...what heart and soul it has left

Overrated - Hasek
Go to Top of Page

Guest4188
( )

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  18:05:59  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manninm

Underrated - Jason Smith - The heart and soul of Edmonton...what heart and soul it has left

Overrated - Hasek

The reason Smith is underrated is because he doesn't do anything in terms of points production....Put simply, he's boring. Why do you think the Leafs got rid of him? I bet a lot of people don't even know that he's the Oil captain and not former Oiler Ryan Smyth.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  19:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Halek underrated? is this a joke.......The guy looks really shaky. I know he's getting wins, but Guy Carbin-whatever has pretty much devoted all his energy to defense......Have you seen the shots he's faced? They're all from like, the boards.......You can tell he can't wait to get Huet back.........I can't stand the publicity Haleks getting...the wins have been against s***ty teams (minus the leafs of course hahaha), and he gets about 2 shots.......THERE IS NO GOALIE CONTROVERSY!!!!!! When Huet gets back, he's the guy! He was an all-star, Halek was an ECHL back-up last year!!!!!!

Living in Canada, I'd have to say Sid is the most overrated.......He's obviously one of the better players out there, but I can't watch TSN any more cause they put EVERY goal/assist of his on the HONor roll..I mean let's call a spade a spade, 1/108 of his points actually belong on there...

Most underrated : Ed Belfour...he's really done better than anyone would have guessed this year, eh?

I HATE CROSBY

Edited by - I HATE CROSBY on 03/26/2007 19:29:36
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  20:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

Most underrated : Ed Belfour...he's really done better than anyone would have guessed this year, eh?

I HATE CROSBY

Yup, 12th in the East is pretty good
I think he is doing better, but I would have guessed that he would do this bad.

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page