Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Best Hockey town in America? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest4943
( )

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  19:33:25  Reply with Quote
I'd say Minnisota because it's cold there and they got alot of sell outs

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  05:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
spell check

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  05:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gonna go on record with either Buffalo or Bean-town. The So-Cal crowd is coming around too....having decent teams helps. But win or lose, Boston and Buffalo will fill the house.

What about Colorado? Some friends went to Denver and said the Pepsi Centre wasn't bad for atmosphere.

Chicago is the former king of this crowd. The old rink was tops!

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  11:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The city of San Jose is not a hockey one, but the HP Pavillion is one of the loudest rinks in the league.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  11:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4943

You are 100% correct, my friend...aside from the fact that Minnesota's not a town Minneapolis is the best American hockey town, Minnesota is by far the best hockey state. On the Wild website they call it the "State of Hockey". It's cold, ice rinks are popular, and everyone there plays and loves the game; I know a few people at my school from MN...they played hockey back home. The University of Minnesota is always #1 in the Big Ten when it comes to NCAA hockey. And guess where I'm going to college

Edited by - Mikhailova on 02/27/2007 11:54:53
Go to Top of Page

wyntyre
Rookie

Canada
185 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  21:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Form what I've seen Lately....I went to a game in St.Paul...and the arena is great...but the fans weren't as crazy as they should be....Detroit sells seats but no-one comes...Chicago has no fans....nor St. Louis....and Pittsburgh is goin' through what Winnipeg did where they were scared to lose the team. Buffalo seems loud...but the only games I get to see here are versus TO and we all know...that there are plenty of Leaf fans there. San Jose does seem like agood time during the playoffs though

Can't go...The Roads Are Dirty
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  23:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definatly not St. Louis, over Half the seats were EMPTY for the canucks game on tuesday

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  05:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

Definatly not St. Louis, over Half the seats were EMPTY for the canucks game on tuesday

CANUCKS RULE!!

Go post that in Worst NHL team in america...

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  05:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Minnesota is the best. Its good they got the Wild when they lost the North Stars.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  11:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boston then New York.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  12:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Islander fans are pretty dedicated, they have this "We're all Islanders" commercials all the time and the fans are always yelling "Let's go Islanders" really loudly. Pittsburgh fans are great, they all love their team, especially with Crosby and Malkin and Staal. Buffalo is also pretty loud, they yell "Let's go Buffalo" all the time. Basically, anywhere in the country where it's cold, hockey is more popular.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  15:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Detroit is a pretty good hockey town but Minnasota is the best.

I know this may seem different but I just finished a book and they visted Texas. They are crazy fans for such a warm place.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  17:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never seen a game live in the states but i hear (outside of this forum) that Minnesota is a good place. They're practically Canadian anyway with all that cold and nothing to do but play hockey :-)

Back in the smaller stadium days (1980's) Chicago and Boston were rumoured to have the loudest fans outside of Toronto/Montreal.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  17:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minnesota is also a good place because they often get large groups of Winnipeggers that drive down to watch the games. It's not ONLY because of that, but it always helps to have that extra boost of Canadians in your fanbase.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  18:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

They're practically Canadian anyway with all that cold and nothing to do but play hockey :-)

Actually there are a lot of Finnish and Swedish immigrants there...that explains a lot :)

And yes, bordering Canada certainly does help, as does the cold climate. Minnesota is the "state of hockey".

PS Saku Steen--I've heard on this forum that there are a lot of people in Dallas who were originally from colder places like Chicago or Michigan who came to Texas for some warmth, but brought their hockey craze with them, so there are actually lots of hockey fans in Dallas despite it being so hot.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 03/01/2007 18:11:38
Go to Top of Page

Guest4248
( )

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  18:36:38  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4943

You are 100% correct, my friend...aside from the fact that Minnesota's not a town Minneapolis is the best American hockey town, Minnesota is by far the best hockey state. On the Wild website they call it the "State of Hockey". It's cold, ice rinks are popular, and everyone there plays and loves the game; I know a few people at my school from MN...they played hockey back home. The University of Minnesota is always #1 in the Big Ten when it comes to NCAA hockey. And guess where I'm going to college

the wild play in st.paul
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  05:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hockeytown USA....Detroit!

How could I forget? The team that is geographically closest to Canada!

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  11:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4248

the wild play in st.paul

D'oh! You're right, my bad
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  18:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Novie

Hockeytown USA....Detroit!

How could I forget? The team that is geographically closest to Canada!

Yep Novie, Detroit's a great hockey town. The fans are great and apparently the Wings' rink has the best ice in the NHL. I just saw a thing about it during the DET-CHI game and the zamboni driver has somehow perfected the water in the machine with the pattern he drives it in to clean the ice real well. When the Habs filled out their survey analyzing the Detroit rink they said the ice was the best they'd played on this year.

And Buffalo would be the second-closest to Canada

Edited by - Mikhailova on 03/02/2007 18:53:38
Go to Top of Page

guinman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  20:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the definition of the best American hockey town is not perfectly defined here in this thread question.

I will say this however: The Pittsburgh market share has the largest television audience statistically (percentage of total viewers) in the U.S. when the Pens play. That means not the most viewers, but the highest percentage of viewers in that market.

Also contrary to Don Cherry's comments which are strangely delusional, Every Pens game has been sold out since early last year with few exceptions. You can hardly find a ticket this year. Even when the Pens were terrible they avged over 13000 a game. The devils can barely do that when they do nothing but win year after year.

I don't know if Pittsburgh is the best market in the U.S. but I've been there and I know that hockey very popular there - especially for an expansion city.
Go to Top of Page

Buddyno2000
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
606 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  20:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C'on guys what kind of question is that everyone knows that hockey is a Canadian game youll never see crowd like a Canadian one

but i might had that Carolina is nice they have cheerleaders (i think that florida have them 2 now) just kiding with you guys
but to answer seriously now, it would have to be detroit (well they said it''Hockey Town'')and Rock City Baby!!! lol

Go leafs Go by the way
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  12:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think detroit, minnesota or new york(even though it isn't really known for hockey), but remember the respect for messier at his retirement ceremony. The fans are loyal in new york.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  12:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think detroit, minnesota or new york(even though it isn't really known for hockey), but remember the respect for messier at his retirement ceremony. The fans are loyal in new york.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  13:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think we heard you the first time Axey

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

The_only_Odelein_fan
Top Prospect

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  20:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hockeytown is Detroit Michigan, everyone knows that, but I think Montreal is the real hockeytown in North America because of their crowd and their history. But right now if I have to vote for an other American town than Detroit, my vote goes to Baton Rouge Louisiana!

Lyle Odelein is a god!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  14:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_only_Odelein_fan

But right now if I have to vote for an other American town than Detroit, my vote goes to Baton Rouge Louisiana!

I hope that's not for a hockey town...
Go to Top of Page

The_only_Odelein_fan
Top Prospect

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  19:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No it's for monkey town

Lyle Odelein is a god!

Edited by - The_only_Odelein_fan on 03/12/2007 20:00:02
Go to Top of Page

Guest0920
( )

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  19:10:00  Reply with Quote
chi-town
Go to Top of Page

Guest4722
( )

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  14:29:19  Reply with Quote
Actually in a recent poll conducted by some newspaper, Philadelphia has the best fans and atmosphere. I'm not suprised at all. Straight sell-outs for the worst team in the league.
Go to Top of Page

Guest1427
( )

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  16:28:42  Reply with Quote
I think u r all Wrong Calgary is the best hockey town in the World!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Flames

KH11

GET ELECTRIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  18:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta be Minnesota. they've got a great fan base there. Of course having the north stars there before helps.

Leafs 4 Playoffs!!
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  18:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say MINNESOTA they love there hockey down there

Winners never Quit and Quitters never win
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  18:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Detroit aka HOCKEY TOWN. Detroit is definetly the best hockey city in the States.

Edited by - ED11 on 04/04/2007 19:16:31
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  21:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

Gotta be Minnesota. they've got a great fan base there. Of course having the north stars there before helps.

They were hockey nuts even before the North Stars. Minnesota rules.

quote:
Originally posted by 1 Crosby fan

I have to say MINNESOTA they love there hockey down there

Down there, lol. For me it's "up there". Minnesota = coldest spot in the nation. For Canadians it's practically Florida, eh? Hahaha...just joking.
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  07:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised Buffalo gets relatively no love on this topic. Granted, Minnesota and Detroit deserve their credit, but Buffalo fans are as loyal as they come. Plus, for years now Buffalo has gone unnoticed as a hockey hotbed. If we could streamline our youth hockey system, we'd be competing with Minnkota, Michigan, and New England every year.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  14:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hockey Town...Florida, becuase of the beaches and warmth

But best hockey town because of the hockey... then Minnesota.

~~~~~COME ON STARS, LETS BRING IT HOME~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  14:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was interesting from the Philly game today...Scottie Upshall was interviewed and seemed to think Philadelphia was the best American hockey town. He said the fans were really passionate about the game, and described it as "being like a Canadian city". True, I didn't know that the fans were so dedicated, especially with a dead-last team, but I wouldn't call Philly the BEST American hockey town. You can't beat Minnesota when it comes to this sport in the US. How many NHLers have come from Philadelphia? None come to mind. But if you look through the team rosters you'll see that many of the US players come from Minnesota and that area.
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  14:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minnesota isn't a town. Just say Minneapolis or St. Paul. I think best hockey town is defined by the fans, not the players coming from the area. But even with that in consideration, the state of Minnesota is definetly where hockey's at in the states.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  15:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I know MN isn't a town, I was just referring to it as the best hockey place in the States. And it's not only the number of players that makes Minnesota great, their fans are amazing too. Very supportive of their team. (Plus, more players coming out of an area means hockey is quite popular there, which is a necessity in order for there to be a large fanbase)
Go to Top of Page

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  14:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

The city of San Jose is not a hockey one, but the HP Pavillion is one of the loudest rinks in the league.

Not to mention they had more than a 97% attendance record during the season. That's almost a sellout every night this season
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  14:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also just thought I should mention this: Most people will say about their team's home rink that they are one of the loudest in the league. Actually, most commentators say that SJ is and there's a good reason for it. The roof of the rink is made out of metal (as opposed to what, I'm not sure) so all the noise bounces off of it and comes right back at you. When the Sharks score a goal, the noise is just unbelievable. Some time in the next few years I will be making a trip down there and I can't wait to watch a Sharks game in there, it will be crazy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page