Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Burke tried at the deadline Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  13:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A neat look at the trade deadline from the desk of Brian Burke. From TSN.ca:

quote:
Ducks GM Brian Burke says Edmonton counterpart Kevin Lowe asked him two days before the NHL trading deadline if he'd be interested in acquiring Ryan Smyth.

Burke also reveals in a deadline diary he compiled for USA Today that he had trade talks for Peter Forsberg, Keith Tkachuk, Bill Guerin, Mattias Norstrom, Todd Bertuzzi and other name players.

He couldn't swing a big deal because he didn't have a first-round draft pick to dangle and wouldn't trade away his top young players.

"Oilers GM Kevin Lowe thinks he could have trouble re-signing Ryan Smyth," Burke notes in his diary entry of Sunday, Feb. 25, two days before the 3 p.m. EST Tuesday deadline. "Would I be interested?

"He said he would want a Tkachuk-style package. I say we can't do it."

Smyth would wind up with the New York Islanders.

Burke talked with Philadelphia GM Paul Holmgren weeks before the deadline about Forsberg. He wouldn't part with Bobby Ryan, the second player taken in the 2005 entry draft who stars with the OHL's Owen Sound Attack. He's asked for Corey Perry and declines again.

He talks to the Blues about Tkachuk. They want Ryan. Burke turns them down.

Holmgren trades Forsberg to Nashville and calls to chide Burke.

Florida assistant GM Randy Sexton mentions Perry when the Ducks inquire about Bertuzzi on Feb. 17.

"I offer him profanity," says Burke. "If you are offended by profanity, it's difficult to make a trade in the NHL.

"If you are going to try to rob me, at least wear a mask."

Burke trades Shane O'Brien to Tampa Bay to get a first-round pick "to get into the card game."

On deadline day, Burke offers first-and fourth-round draft picks for Guerin, but the Blues prefer the Sharks' offer.

He offers the Kings first-, second-and third-round picks for Norstrom. No go.

"We looked at Bertuzzi but the price was too high," says Burke.

All he got was Brad May, from Colorado.

"I wanted to make a deal but I stuck to draft picks. I told our younger players that I wouldn't trade them and I kept my word."

To me this sounds like Burke was trying to get something for nothing. He has always talked tough, but this time it looks like he got burned.

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  13:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't quite agree. The current market rate was quite inflated, and even then he tried to package up something that was 'the going rate' and that's why he traded to get a 1st
rounder. I wouldnt have parted with Perry or Ryan either - that would just be dumb.
He couldnt swing a deal, which is unfortunate for him, but at least he didnt make a deal
just for the sake of making a deal. Ducks have a bright future...
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  14:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it unbelievable that the Kings turned down a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick for Norstrom.
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  15:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norstrom isnt even that good anymore sure hes a leader but you need skillz too
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  15:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he is very underrated - like a Mattias Ohlund type of defensemen. He flies under the radar but I think he was a great addition for Dallas.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  15:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Norstorm is pretty good but isnt as good as he was before the new NHL rules.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  09:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the entire article from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ducks/2007-03-01-burke-diary_x.htm

Really good read.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll