Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 2011 Norris Trophy Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
The finalists have been announced, who's going to get it?

Choices:

Zdeno Chara
Nicklas Lidstrom
Shea Weber

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a little surprised that Chara made the finalist list - I don't see him much, was he really one of the best 3 dmen this season?

Out of that list, I go for Lidstrom.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Visnovsky and Yandle deserve to be on there more than Chara.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

I think Visnovsky and Yandle deserve to be on there more than Chara.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky

there a a lot of d man who deserve it mre than chara!!! if i were Yandle Visnovsky i'd be awfully insulted

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The issue with Visnovsky and Yandle that I can't get over is that the award is not one-dimensional. It's not the best offensive defensemen, it's the best defensemen. I personally can not give credit to a defensemen who is not on their teams penalty kill as even qualified as the best defensemen in the NHL.

I too was a little surprised to see Chara on that list and Weber for that matter. I kind of throw the idea out last year but got shot down pretty quick but I gotta throw it out this year as well. I can not stand the Canucks but one can't argue the chops of one Mr. Christian Ehrhoff. Statistically as good as Chara in all areas if not better. Less mean, more mobile. Personally, I think the nominees could have and should have been Lidstrom, Ehrhoff, and Kris Letang.

Winner is Lidstrom.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too threw out Ehrhoff a few weeks ago as a candidate, and got shot down...he gets overlooked an awful lot, and given that Chara made this list he might have gotten some consideration IMO. 50 points, top line PP and top PK unit dman, the only Canuck blueliner to play 80 games this year and avg'd over 22 minutes a game. Ah well.

I agree about Visnovsky and Yandle - to be considered for the Norris in the modern NHL, you must play and be significant in all 3 areas (even strength, PK, PP), and play big minutes too. Those two are awesome offensive dmen, but don't excel in all dimensions.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whats wrong with weaber beans? his stats offensivly are there with everyone plus he is a horse loggng all the big min in nashville plays a terrific all round game, its kinda weird you describe Weaber when you describe your ideal norris winner then you take him off your list as a niminee and add letang who isn't as good in any aspect as Weaber,, not to say hes not great,,,,

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  11:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Letang had a better season that Weber. I think Weber is one of the top 3-5 defensemen in the NHL, but the Norris is this season. Letang was great start to finish. Nothing against Weber, I would not argue too much against him.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  12:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to argue Letang. I don't see a ton of him, nor Chara, or any other than Canucks really, but i looked up Letang's stats and the numbers are very comparable to Weber, right across the board. They avg'd the same amount of SH ice time even. Letang's offensive numbers took a bit of a dive once Crosby went down but that's expected really. Overall he had a heckuva season and easily could have been in this mix.

Of the 3, Chara's the only one that surprised me really and admittedly i don't see a ton of him. Not saying he's not Norris worthy (cuz he def is) but just didn't hear or see a lot of hype surrounding him this season.

I get a funny feeling that Weber is gonna steal this award away from Lidstrom for some reason? Not taking anything away from the season that Lidstrom had, just a hunch that it goes to a new guy this time around.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher17
Top Prospect

Canada
84 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  12:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with Letang was his back half of the season. In the 41 games after Crosby went down Letang only recorded 14 points.

Weber displayed the opposite. He was pretty weak in the first half offensively but took off in the back half. The two ended up with similar points but I imagine Weber was more fresh in the minds of the voters. Plus Weber had 16 goals, fourth highest in the league.

It seems pretty similar to the Vezina this year where there are multiple players with similar stats (rather than 3 standouts) that a few players are bound to feel snubbed...
Go to Top of Page

Pushrod
Top Prospect

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  14:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to argue the 3 finalists, but in my opinion Visnovsky is the one player that could have been there. As previously mentioned, the glaring problem with him is short handed time. I looked it up to see what the difference actually was, and he was on for maybe one fifth the time of the three finalists, which is a big difference.

Otherwise, he was quite comparable. Weber blew the others away in takeaways which says a lot I think. With regards to takeaways, giveaways and blocked shots (which I think LV had more of than the other 3), and plus/minus Visnovsky held up quite well. Chara had the most giveaways of the 4 of them by a decent amount. When you throw in Visnovsky's offensive contributions on a team with little other offensive presence from the back end, it could have warranted a nomination. I'd probably remove Chara from the list, although Lidstrom's -2 plus minus is a little baffling being on the team that he's on.

Edited by - Pushrod on 04/25/2011 14:44:45
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  15:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lidstrom regularly plays against every other team's top offensive lines - a minus-2 is not bad considering that. DET allowed more goals last year than normal, at 241 they were not nearly as dominating defensively as they have been in years past. 241 is the most GA of any playoff team this year.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  06:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

I'm a little surprised that Chara made the finalist list - I don't see him much, was he really one of the best 3 dmen this season?

Out of that list, I go for Lidstrom.

I see him every game, and he shouldn't be on the list for several reasons. The biggest 1: Boston is 2nd in the league for most shots against - 2nd! Chara is a monster, don't get me wrong, but to be considered you should have a better defensive shots against than that!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  09:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chara is a brutal pick . . . only there on past record. Just awful. He was not even top 20 this year IMHO, in a year where there was a truly deep contender list for this trophy.

Yes, Yandle and Visnovsky would have been put far ahead of Chara, but I would have put Letang there ahead of them on the 3 man list.

I would have put Byfuglien ahead of Lidstrom, myself. But it's a tough call, and like I said, the running was very close, there were about ten strong candidates this year . . . none of them named Zdeno, btw.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  12:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the nominees, though as already mentioned there were a number of other canidates that wouldn't of surprised me either had they been nominated...most notably Visnovksy, Yandle & Letang.

Not sure why some see Zdeno Chara as a surprise, i thought he had a great season. Statistically...

14 goals
44 points
25:26 ice/game...more than any other player mentioned in this thread
2:48 sh/game...again, more than any other player mentioned
+33, lead the NHL
etc.

He was the best player on the 2nd best defensive team in the NHL. That said, Nick Lidstrom is my winner.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  12:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Chara is a brutal pick . . . only there on past record. Just awful. He was not even top 20 this year IMHO, in a year where there was a truly deep contender list for this trophy.

Yes, Yandle and Visnovsky would have been put far ahead of Chara, but I would have put Letang there ahead of them on the 3 man list.

I would have put Byfuglien ahead of Lidstrom, myself. But it's a tough call, and like I said, the running was very close, there were about ten strong candidates this year . . . none of them named Zdeno, btw.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

bah you say that because you re a habs ,, geeze take the red tinted glasses off!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page