Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Should Jordin Tootoo receive a suspension? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  14:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
On March 17, Tootoo of the Predators leveled Robidas of the Stars with a devastating punch to the face. The league is looking into it. Should Tootoo get a suspension and if so, how long?

Here is the video, you decide...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn05Q5yxmPY

Choices:

No Suspension
No, just a fine
Yes - 1 game
Yes - 2 games
Yes - 3 games
Yes - 4 games
Yes - 5 games
Yes - Insert # of games

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  14:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES, I believe he deserves at least 5 games for that, theres no room for sucker puches in the game.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  14:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a 4 game suspenison would be good. He wasn't winding up alot he just punched as a reflex but still no need for that

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  14:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

YES, I believe he deserves at least 5 games for that, theres no room for sucker puches in the game.

Is it a sucker punch when Robidas was attacking him? If Robidas was too stupid to not be ready for a hit when he is clearly the instigator then he should be playing ringette instead.

Give Tootoo a 2 game suspension for not following proper fighting etiquette.
Go to Top of Page

welfareposse
Top Prospect

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  14:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No suspension, maybe a fine. Robidas was going in with his hands up and just happened to be a little bit too slow.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  14:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

Is it a sucker punch when Robidas was attacking him? If Robidas was too stupid to not be ready for a hit when he is clearly the instigator then he should be playing ringette instead.

How do you no what robidas was going to do??? He didnt have the chance to do anything before he was knocked out.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  14:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No need whatsoever. He should be gone for the rest of the year. Did he need to punch him in the face. No. Robidas was only going to defend his captain. Tootoo did not need to react so harshly.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  14:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

No need whatsoever. He should be gone for the rest of the year. Did he need to punch him in the face. No. Robidas was only going to defend his captain. Tootoo did not need to react so harshly.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!

Thanks for the support Leafsfan!! dont forget its your pick in the sperate GOAT draft.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  14:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4 games
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  15:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minimum of 8 games...

I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy…
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  15:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is just announced that he is suspended for 5 games.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=200808&hubname=

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

wyntyre
Rookie

Canada
185 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  15:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 games is retarded....Robidas was gonna do the same thing to him...and what about Modanos little whack across Tootoo's back???

Can't go...The Roads Are Dirty
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  16:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wow leigh, that wasn't a sucker punch? Everyone knows that if you hit Modano like that there is going to be someone finishing a check on you. Tootoo should have taken the hit and then challenged Robidas to a fight. What he did there does not belong in hockey.

It's a 3 game suspension in my books.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  16:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was absolute crap. I don't think 5 games is enough. Anyone who said that Robidas was coming at Tootoo the same way is watching another video. Tootoo punched with his arm straight at shoulder hieght, and he hit ABOVE Robidas hands. If Robidas would have connecting, it would have been in Tootoo's chest, more than likely throwing him to the ice.

BUT, I also think that Modano should have gotten a game or two for swinging his stick at Tootoo and hitting him in the back when he got up. Here is just another situation of the league punishing the offense, not sending a message. What if Modano's stick would have hit Tootoo in the face and knocked out some teeth?? Would have been a suspension for sure.

The NHL has to do something about crap like this.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  16:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watch this version of it instead, it's longer but shows the scenario multiple times in slow motion and the commentators share very educated thoughts about the situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWw_VrQiSMU

quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Give me a break, rest of the year? Tootoo starts by hitting Modano with a not-too-clean, not-too-dirty hit. Robidas skates in and raises his arms, as if to two-handedly punch Tootoo in the head. But, Tootoo uses his right arm to swing at Robidas's face and hits him first, where Robidas may have gotten knocked out, then Robidas smashes his head on the ice. Modano then swings his right arm and stick around in a slashing motion onto Tootoo's back.

I think Modano and Robidas are as much to blame as Tootoo. Like the commentators say, Robidas was not going to let up on Tootoo had he not gotten hit, so the fate might have been reversed had Tootoo not reacted the way he did. Robidas clearly had his hands up around Tootoo's head and it wasn't to give him a hug. No, Tootoo shouldn't have swung at Robidas with the velocity that he did but he did have the right to protect himself. Colin Campbell also stated that the result of the offense had an impact on his decision, which I think is BS. Robidas knocked his head on the ice on the way down pretty badly, so if he wasn't knocked out upon impact he was after that. But this supports my case that the punishment has to stop being shelled out based on the result of the offense. I thought he had taken a step forward with the Simon suspension, but apparently not. Funny thing is that had Tootoo gotten knocked out, Robidas would probably be off the hook.

The WORST thing about this is how Modano seems to have gotten away with his whack on Tootoo's back using his stick. I seriously think some action should be taken against that because it's one thing to defend yourself with your fists but it's a whole other story when you start swinging your stick around.

Colin Campbell: One step forward, another step back.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 03/19/2007 16:57:53
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  17:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

How do you no what robidas was going to do??? He didnt have the chance to do anything before he was knocked out.

The video looked pretty telling to me. He wasn't coming in to check him he was clearly trying to take him out (HE GOT A CHARGING PENALTY FOR GOD SAKE and if there was a fight he would have gotten an instigator penalty too!) See bab's lengthy post above, I agree pretty much 100% so I won't bother rewriting it.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  18:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 or 3 games is fine with me but 5 is too much. having said that i haven't read the decision from Campbell yet.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  23:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 games official, I agree with Babs that Modano should get a Fine or 1 game suspension, maybe he will, but to me Robidas looked like he was going to push him and challenge him to a fight (which Tootoo would have killed him in) but Tootoo just punched him like Beans said "Over his gloves" Robidas hand were at chest level. But anyways he got the suspension I thought he should and there is no point in argueing it any further.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  03:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One Game and a small fine.

Tootoo's name is Jordin, Admin

Edited by - Saku Steen on 03/20/2007 03:53:04
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  05:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 games is too much an think maybe a small fine and 2-3 games
Go to Top of Page

Guest9537
( )

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  06:19:10  Reply with Quote
Tootoo is the biggest f*cking coward and idiot in the NHL. He runs guys into the end boards every night the EXACT same way Robidas was coming at him and every time someone comes to check him (which is all Robidas was coming in to do) he either falls down like a p**** or does sh*t like what he did that night. What? You aren't allowed to check anyone in hockey anymore?

Tootoo should have gotten more than 5 because he is a constant offender. You watch a Nashville game and see how many times he charges guys in one game. He is a little no talent maggot that doesn't belong in the league and one of these days he is going to get his.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  07:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to say that Robidas is at fault in this situation, but neither player handled it very well. I was watching off the record on TSN yesterday, and one of the panel guys was a former NHL player/enforcer. His comment was that if it was Georges or another "tough guy" other than Robidas, it would have been different. Firstly, they would have had thier gloves off before they got there. Lets face it, if you are protecting your star, the instigator penalty is the furthest thing from your mind. The other thing the guy on off the record said is that a tough guy would have not skated in like a maniac. He would have come in, grabbed the guy, pulled him off to the side and they would have danced.

However, I still think that Tootoo's move was an absolute cheap shot and the video, the way I see it, shows Tootoo hitting Robidas in the face with a punch at shoulder level. That punch was OVER Robidas gloves. If Robidas would have hit Tootoo, it would have not been in the face. And the posting by Guest 9537 is dead right. Although the "colorful" language could have been omitted, the point is true. Tootoo is a reckless meatball on the ice. And a suspension for the rest of the year is what, 10 or 11 games?? Not too long in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

dannywer0
Top Prospect

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  07:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No suspension because #1 it wasnt a sucker punch#2 he was just defending himself and #3 Robidas was the one who was charging at him and expected not to be touched, if your going at someone with the intent of revenge you shouldn't expect that Tootoo won't touch you. I don't think there should have been a suspension.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2753
( )

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  07:56:42  Reply with Quote
I think the hit that tootoo made on mondano looked pretty clean, it probabally could have served 2 minutes for elbowing but he wasn't trying to kill him. I said that Robidas had no place to jump in there. Does that make that right? No of course not but you kinda seal your own fate at the same time.

Also how come no one has mentioned yet that while tootoo punches robadias modano brings his stick down across tootoos back? Granted its just one hand and he didn't injjure him but the intent is definatally there. (bet you'll all go back and watch the video and look for that now)

I say if tootoo is suspended, give modano at least 2 games also.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2753
( )

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  07:59:55  Reply with Quote
whoops, ok nevermind bab beat me to that earlier. But I agree whooly with what bab said.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  09:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saku Steen

One Game and a small fine.

Tootoo's name is Jordin, Admin

Thanks Saku. Fixed!
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  09:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Tootoo hit on Modano seemed fine. Robidas should have been better prepared if he was going to jump someone. It looked to me like his hands were up to hit Tootoo in the face, regardless of how high his hands were, his intentions weren't good. Tootoo deserved a few games so the league can send a message that they don't approve of that type of action but any more than 5 games would have been unjust. Modano should have been suspended for a game to also send a message and get him on record, especially after the stick swinging incident with Simon. If Tootoo had swung his stick at Modano or even Robidas you can bet he would have been gone. Hope Robidas is ok and back soon....maybe a little bit wiser.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  12:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
No suspension because #1 it wasnt a sucker punch#2 he was just defending himself and #3 Robidas was the one who was charging at him and expected not to be touched, if your going at someone with the intent of revenge you shouldn't expect that Tootoo won't touch you. I don't think there should have been a suspension.

What?? Are you kidding??

1) Wasn't a cheap shot?? Wow, if that wasn't a cheap shot, what is?? Robidas made no indication he wanted to fight, we was going to hit him. If what your saying is true, does that mean anytime a player is going to get hit it gives them the right to punch a guy in the face??

2) Defending himself?? Again, no indication of a fight. See my words above. Thyere is a big difference between defending yourself and outright hurting a guy.

3) Robidas got the 2 min. penalty for charging. That was deserved. Not getting hit in the face and getting knocked out cold.

Admin, you are dead right there. Tootoo would have been gone if he swung his stick. Modano should have been too. One game for sure.

What's it going to take for the NHL players to realize that this kind of action is not what the fans want to see and has no part in the game???
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  12:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans I just agree more and more with you everyday, great post.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  12:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canuck Man, I aim to please!

It's amazing few people agree with common sense.

I guess the old comment is true, common sense is not very common.
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  13:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a fine I believe. I'd like to see all you guys who think he is a worm, to put yourself in that position and see how you would react! What would YOU do when you see a guy running you out of the corner of your eye? I think this is just a total act of self-defense that had a worse than anticipated outcome. There was nothing deliberate/premeditated about it in any way, unlike the way Modano swung his stick at him.

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  13:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been watching hockey for a number of years, and a sucker punch is a sucker punch. This was a sucker punch. I have seen countless situations where it was obvious that one player was going after another one. I can't recall another situations that a player "defending" himself sucker punched the other guy.

And you are right, Tootoo is a worm.

A sucker punch, proven through this situation as well as the Nichol situation on Spacek earlier in the year, is a suspension.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  13:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryschevy1

Just a fine I believe. I'd like to see all you guys who think he is a worm, to put yourself in that position and see how you would react! What would YOU do when you see a guy running you out of the corner of your eye? I think this is just a total act of self-defense that had a worse than anticipated outcome. There was nothing deliberate/premeditated about it in any way, unlike the way Modano swung his stick at him.

GO OIL!!! YA!!!

Alright Ryschevy the nex time i see a guy running towards me i will take your advice and turn around and punch him right in the face!!

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  14:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canucks Man:
If you are expecting something to happen then why not? Better the other guy laying tits up on the floor than you! Remember, you just hit his buddy and why do you think he's running up to you? To give you a big kiss? Well maybe that's a bad example for you, but you get my drift!
And to respond to Beans comment, I never said Tootoo is a worm, just that you guys think he is. And how is that a sucker punch? The guy was coming at HIM! It would be a sucker punch if Robidas didn't see it coming and was hit for no reason. For EXAMPLE ONLY - If the beloved Sidney Crosby did that, (not that he'd have the balls to anyway), everyone would be sticking up for him because he defended himself, and how dare someone take a run at him!! Everyone would be saying Robidas got what he deserves.
GO OIL!!! YA!!!

Edited by - ryschevy1 on 03/20/2007 14:50:21
Go to Top of Page

Buddyno2000
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
606 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  14:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryschevy1

If you are expecting something to happen then why not? Better the other guy laying tits up on the floor than you! Remember, you just hit his buddy and why do you think he's running up to you? To give you a big kiss? Well maybe that's a bad example for you, but you get my drift!
And to respond to Beans comment, how is that a sucker punch? The guy was coming at HIM! It would be a sucker punch if Robidas didn't see it coming and was hit for no reason. For EXAMPLE ONLY - If the beloved Sidney Crosby did that, (not that he'd have the balls to anyway), everyone would be sticking up for him because he defended himself, and how dare someone take a run at him!! Everyone would be saying Robidas got what he deserves.
GO OIL!!! YA!!!

I Totaly agree with you ryschevy 5 games is to much some players got less for doing more in the past . Here in North America we call that self defense.

Go leafs Go by the way

Edited by - Buddyno2000 on 03/20/2007 14:50:55
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  15:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you define as a sucker punch? To me, the whole reason the word "sucker" is there to differentiate it from just a "punch" is to describe it as a blind punch, meaning the victim did not see it coming and/or did not have a chance to defend himself. Bertuzzi's punch on Moore was a sucker punch. Nichol's punch on Spacek was a sucker punch. Tootoo's punch on Robidas was not a sucker punch. Tootoo hit him clean in the face while Robidas had his arms up to go after Tootoo. I mean Robidas got a charging penalty for God's sake, he was no real victim here. Robidas was going after Tootoo, and knowing that Robidas wasn't going to see him to say "Nice hit", he cleaned his clock. If you're going to try to back your star player up, don't expect whoever hit him to just lay back thinking that he deserves retaliation. Tootoo did what he had to, and while he did go a little overboard, he didn't deserve 5 games and I don't feel sorry for Robidas one bit.

I have to reiterate, the big disappointment for me is how Modano is getting away with his slash.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 03/20/2007 15:21:41
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  17:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I am clicking on the wrong video. Watch the video as slowly as you possibly can. Tootoo hits Modano and falls to the ice himself. He looks to his right and sees Robidas coming towards him. He gets up as fast as he could, facing the boards, then cocks his wrist and turns to face Robidas ALREADY SWINGING!!!! How do you guys not see that??? That is a sucker punch.

To me, this was unexpected. Robidas could not see it coming as Tootoo was swinging before he even turned around. Robidas was going to the defense of his star, and did hit Tootoo. Not in the head like people are saying he was trying to. He hit him in the chest as Tootoo was punching him in the face. How could he have hit him in the chest if he was going for his head?? He was skating in to throw this kid on his ass to send him a message. And what happens, this meatball punches him in the head, and started the punch with his back turned.

Take a look at these other videos. The player who threw the punch was facing the player taking the punch. Are they not sucker punches either??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQaIta0_baE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Dq2YgmP4Y

If a guy doesn't have time to defend himself, it's a sucker punch. And say all you want about Robidas trying to cheap shot Tootoo. Tootoo saw him the whole way.

Defending yourself is one thing, what Tootoo did is something totally different.

Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  18:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robidas did have time to defend himself because he was trying to initiate the retaliation. If he was skating in not expecting to be swung at or at least not expecting Tootoo to put his arms up to block, he's pretty stupid. Listen, I'm not condoning Tootoo's punch because that was unnecessary any way you look at it, but it WAS NOT a sucker punch.

Godard's was. Williams was not trying to start anything with Godard, in fact he was just gliding around the benches because the whistle had blown. Williams did not have time to defend himself because there was no way he could have expected to get hit, why could he?

Kogel's was too. I don't see how you think that Golicic was facing him because Kogel came off the bench and skated at him from the side, where he blind-sided him, then punched him again.

The main difference here is that Robidas was initiating the retaliation. They end up hitting each other at the same time, Tootoo hits him in the face and Robidas hits him in the upper chest so figures Robidas goes down. Big deal if Tootoo kept his glove on... Remember when Tucker used (ironically) Janssen's helmet to punch him in the head with it? He only got a fine... So why does Tootoo get suspended for this? Makes no sense to me.

It was NOT a sucker punch.

MODANO NEEDS TO GET FINED/SUSPENDED.
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  18:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he got 5 games
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  19:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbraiter

he got 5 games

Thanks tips

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  19:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans I don't see how you can compare those 2 videos to Jordin Tootoo. They are 2 totally different situations and have no relevance whatsoever to what happened here. Yes, I agree those were sucker punches, and I gotta team up with Babs on this one!

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page