Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 How many points ...Dustin Penner/ Ryan Smyth Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foolpittier
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
374 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2011 :  16:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How will dustin penner and ryan smyth do this year? I have both in a keeper and I'm thinking about droping them? worth keepin?

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2011 :  17:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just depends what else is out there. Smyth is getting older, but he can still give you 25 goals/50+points. Dustin Penner struggled offensively after arriving in LA last season (25gp 3g5a 8pts), but will have a fresh start this season, likely with one of Anze Kopitar or Mike Richards as his center.
Go to Top of Page

Kirby
Top Prospect

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2011 :  00:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Penner is in a contract year, and is hopefully used to his teammates, so I would guess he will have a good season. Smyth will probably be the usual, not outstanding, but not terrible either

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be. -Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2011 :  05:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would pick Smyth this year to have an excellent year, actually. Right now, the Oilers youngsters are more run and gun offense, and he will be one of the very few mucking it up in front of the net. Which means he will get a bunch of goals.

Couple that with what will be an emotional and rousing support for him from the fans, and you will get an energised Smyth with everything to play for. No pressure to make the playoffs either, that should be another boost to his stats, despite the fact that obviously he's one year older.

I think he might get goals in the high 20s, close to 30 goals this year. 55, 60 points might be quite possible, as I feel Smyth is in the perfect scenario to have a great statistical year.

Penner . . . that's a guy who had a terrible start to his stint with LA, and looked very mediocre late last year. But with Richards joining the team, and Gagne the only other scoring left winger . . . he will get his chances on very skilled lines.

So in the end, that is a really tough call. My heart says Smyth, but realistically, going by who has the best chance to do better, head says Penner.

So if your keeper pool is deep enough to keep 50-60 point players, I'd keep Penner over Smyth. Younger, more potential for a big year.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2011 :  08:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally, i would drop both. i see don't see penner as a good fit in LA at all. i see him dropping down, getting switched in and out of different situations and possibly even traded. richards is capable of doing a lot of the same things penner is regarded at being great at making him movable. as for smyth hmm tough one... he could have a great year and play on a pretty good powerplay scoring the garbage goals or he could get burried behind the young talent. either way his risk/reward isn't worth it in my mind

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page