Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 Will Crosby ever lead the league in goal scoring? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  16:34:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Do you think Crosby will ever lead the league in goal scoring in his career?

Choices:

Yes
No

Edited by - bablaboushka on 04/01/2007 19:59:26

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  16:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I dont believe he will, he is more of an assist man then a pure goal scorer

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Get The Towels Out Guys PLAYOFFS!!!
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
338 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  16:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no i think he will get in between 37-43 goals every year

Go Leafs Go
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  16:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree C-Man, he is a playmaker, not a goal-scorer. Someone else like Ovechkin or Lecavalier or Malkin will probably lead him in goal-scoring, but Sid could still lead the league in total points.
Go to Top of Page

oil fan97
Rookie

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  17:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is guy who gets more assists than goals and he win't ever lead the league in scoring.

Oilers Rule!!!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  17:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Lemieux was also more of a playmaker, yet he also managed to score 85 goals. Considering the Rocket trophy is being awarded to winners that score just above 50 goals and Crosby is hovering around 40 just two years into his career, I really wouldn't rule it out.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  17:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe he will. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg for Crosby. Next year will be the first of a long string of 50 plus goal years for him. His assists will go up proportionately as well. He may be the fourth player to crack the 100 assist plateau as well. This guy is far from his prime yet folks. Keep that in mind. Look at Thornton and Lecavalier for examples.
Babs why did you move this to Pittsburgh's area? More will see it in the Polls area no?
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  17:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

Considering the Rocket trophy is being awarded to winners that score just above 50 goals

The year before the lockout the leader's had only 41 goals

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  18:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

I believe he will. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg for Crosby.

I think the complete opposite. I think this was Crosby's peak of his career and now it is going to go slowly back down.

No, he will not lead the league in scoring any more.

~~~~~COME ON STARS, LETS BRING IT HOME~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  18:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

quote:
Originally posted by willus3

I believe he will. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg for Crosby.

I think the complete opposite. I think this was Crosby's peak of his career and now it is going to go slowly back down.

No, he will not lead the league in scoring any more.

The PEAK of his career? Are you kidding me? I think crosby is just getting started and has many great years to come, and many scoring titles left to get.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  18:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not saying he will get worse, but I think this is going to be one of his better seasons.

Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  18:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

I'm not saying he will get worse, but I think this is going to be one of his better seasons.

If its ONE of his better seasons then it wont be the PEAK of his career

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  18:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He does have a scoring touch he has to start to shoot the puck more i think.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  19:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willus I put it here because it pertains directly to Crosby who pertains directly to the Pens. Just like any other poll regarding a specific player, I moved it to the forum of the team they play for, Crosby doesn't get any special exception. If I put him in User Polls, I would have to move every other poll about a specific player and that would flood the User Polls forum. This keeps the forums a little more balanced.

I think the balance of Crosby's G-A-Pts will depend on who he plays with. Once he starts playing with players who can reciprocate his playmaking a little, he will start scoring more. Could you imagine that he basically is the one that sets everyone else up on his team AND he can score 40ish goals? Imagine if a Savard played with him. 50 goals would be nothing. The problem with Pittsburgh's youngsters is that guys like Staal, Malkin, Ouellet, Malone, etc. are either pure goal-scorers or grinders, not one of them is anywhere near a playmaker. I foresee him scoring up to 60-65 goals if he gets a shade of help.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 04/01/2007 20:01:22
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  20:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotcha Babs. I didn't realize how it was set up.
We're on the same page about Crosby. His potential is yet to be realized.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  03:50:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think that he will ever lead the scoring race because he gets most of his points from assists.
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  07:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see him challenging for the Rocket Richard trophy. Most likely it will be in 3-4 years when he enters his prime. But i see him losing to his linemate, if you can call that losing.

Having another playmaker would help his numbers a lot, but with his own playmaking skills it's not gonna be a priority for the Pens to aquire another playmaker. I suspect that his individual numbers and the fate of the team would be better served by letting him get his 40-50 goals and 120-140 assists along with a true sniper, that he could push into the 60 or 70 goal range. Thinking an Oates/Hull setup or Forsberg/Hejduk rather than a Kariya/Selanne or Kurri/Gretzky.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  10:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see it. I think there are too many other pure goal scorers that are near his age that he has to compete with. Heatley, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Cheechoo(of last year and the past month), Lecavalier and E. Staal(if he can refine his form from last year) are all still pretty young and all much better goal scorers than Crosby.

Plus, what if this Tavares turns out the way people think he will? Who knows who else will come into the league. Look at a player like Radulov who scored 61 goals his last year in the Q. He has 17 goals after going up and down from the farm this year and gets only about 11 minutes a game. What about Stastny or Kopitar?? Both could be great goal scorers for years to come. And don't forget about Sid's partners in crime, Malkin and J. Staal. Again, I think both will be better pure goal scorers.

I think that Sid will mature into a role of a playmaker. Art Ross Trophies?? Many I am thinking. Harts?? Some of those too. I think the Richard will not be on his mantel when his playing days are done.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  13:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans the guys you mentioned all had lesser first and second years for goal scoring than Crosby with the exception of Ovechkin. But keep in mind Ovechkin is 2 years older. And Crosby did it on a very poor team. I can see him and Ovechkin, maybe Heatley battling for the title. Malkin has 33 goals this year and is a year older. Crosby had 39 goals his first season. I'm not sure why people don't think this guy Crosby can score goals. Yes he's a great playmaker but that isn't to say he can't score goals too.
Go to Top of Page

Eziwrath
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  08:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crosby has this tendacy of passing the puck all the time, i saw many of his games and sometimes he's overpassing the puck, even though most of the time he makes great plays.

He will easily win tons of Rocket richard trophies if he learns to shoot the puck more.

Look at a guy like Ovechkin for example, he shoots the puck all the time and thats why he is always aroun the 50 goal plateau.

~Crosby is #1~
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  08:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not saying the Crosby can't score goals. I am saying there are better pure goal scorers. I can see, if they can stay together, Crosby and Malkin being a Gretzky/Kurri or Lemiuex/Jagr or Oates/Hull like combo. One will be the scorer and the other the passer. Crosby will more than likely be the passer. As he matures, he will realize what he needs to do more of to help his team win.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6751
( )

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  21:49:02  Reply with Quote
the day crosby gets 100 assist or wins rocket richard is the day the leafs win the cup bahaha enough said
Go to Top of Page

Guest9136
( )

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  21:13:35  Reply with Quote
I think the world of Crosby, but right now he does not have a good enough shot to challenge for the Rocket's trophy. But I think he has the intelligence to possibly improve that area enough where he will challenge. Being his biggest fan, that is a tough thing for me to admit, but I like to be fair, unlike some people who say he has peaked at an age where he could have still been playing junior. That shows a real lack of objectivity.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  21:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9136

Iunlike some people who say he has peaked at an age where he could have still been playing junior. That shows a real lack of objectivity.

Couldn't agree more.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  01:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind: it's pretty safe to say that he has another 15 years of hockey in him....methinks he's still on the rise.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  05:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

I agree C-Man, he is a playmaker, not a goal-scorer. Someone else like Ovechkin or Lecavalier or Malkin will probably lead him in goal-scoring, but Sid could still lead the league in total points.

not with Ovechkin and Malkin in the League
Go to Top of Page

Guest9544
( )

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  02:26:03  Reply with Quote
ofcorse he will
Go to Top of Page

Guest6030
( )

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  12:45:40  Reply with Quote
i think if he gets a real passer with him, like a Marc Savard, he can become leading scorer, but if he keeps playing with guys like fedotenko and dupuis, all he will get his assists. A goal scorer needs someone to pass him the puck, unless your ovechkin who is a true goal scorer.
Go to Top of Page

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  12:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not knocking Crosby's goal-scoring ability, but his true talent lies in his playmaking ability. As good as he is at scoring there are at least 5 or 6 guys that are better.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6030
( )

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  13:14:58  Reply with Quote
Yes i do agree...the question is..will he ever be leading scorer one day..that does not mean he;s the best scorer. If a player is weill surrounded (has a great passer with him), whether or not he;s the best goal scorer, he can take the lead scoring. All that said, the lead scorer in a year is not necessarily the best goal scorer.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  19:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is more likely that Crosby will win a Ross than a Richard.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  21:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm, not sure but didn't Crosby already win the Art Ross?? Wait, he also won the Hart and the Pearson. Yep, I am right. It was 2007. He took all of the the big three trophies.

Case closed.

However, I would suggest that if they guy has any kind of line mate and a full healthy season, there is no reason why he would not lead the league again, and again, and again.

He definately has the skills.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  09:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Umm, not sure but didn't Crosby already win the Art Ross?? Wait, he also won the Hart and the Pearson. Yep, I am right. It was 2007. He took all of the the big three trophies.

Case closed.

However, I would suggest that if they guy has any kind of line mate and a full healthy season, there is no reason why he would not lead the league again, and again, and again.

He definately has the skills.

Yes that is correct, he won all three of those trophies that year - it was the same year Malkin won the Calder (ROY). I simply meant that I think it more likely that he would win another Ross rather than a Richard. But then the Richard may be something he will want to go for. Being just 21 with a Hart, Ross, and Pearson already behind him pretty much leaves only a ring and a Richard to shoot for - and he's got a dozen or more years to do it.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  12:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say he won't do it . . . not because I don't think he might have a 50 goal season in him - I think he might squeeze one out - but because of the other snipers in the league.

Kovalchuk, Heatley, Semin, Iginla, Parise, Vanek, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Zetterberg, and of course the ever-present threat to win the scoring title every year he's healthy, Ovechkin. If Crosby does reach that 50 goal plaeau, odds are a few of these guys do too, and maybe even some other young kid.

I say the closest he ever gets is . . . third or fourth in the scoring race.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  10:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, there goes my amazing reading skills again, I read "scoring" not "goal scoring." I wouldn't say it will never happen, but he's not proven to be a sniper per se. He is more of a set up guy and a playmaker. He will have 30-40 goals a year. Might have a few years over 40, but nothing huge. Not sure if that would be enough to get the Richard.

I doubt it, but never say never.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4037
( )

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  13:04:32  Reply with Quote
NO because he is good but i think he will only score around 40 goals a year. Maybe he will lead in assists though.....

Go Ovechkin and Habs
Go to Top of Page

pittsburgh penguins
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  16:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont think he will ever finish the league with most goals because crosby is really a passer but he might get close
go pens crosby rocks

christopher
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  11:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No :)

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  03:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No,I don't think he will ever lead the league in goal scoring because he is more of passer or an assist man more than a goal scorer.Goal scorers are more like Ovechkin.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  20:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 more goals for Sid tonight, he's now tied for the league lead in goals with 37.

If i would of responded back when this thread was first started, then i would of said no he probably wouldn't. He showed his rookie year that he could score goals, potting something like 37 as an 18 year old kid, but still after watching him the last couple of seasons, while i expected some more Art Ross trophies, i didn't see Sid being able to top the likes of Ovechkin & Kovalchuk in the goal scoring department. However after seeing him i the playoffs last year, i knew he had it in him. Still, i'm impressed with what he's been doing lately! He's still 7 points back of H.Sedin for the scoring lead, but i personally think he's going to win the Art Ross. Ovechkin will be right there too though, it's a close call.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2809
( )

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  03:12:33  Reply with Quote
Take a look this morning
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page