Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Leafs finish where? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9190
( )

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  17:09:48  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Where will the Toronto Maple Leafs finish by the end of this years regular season?

Choices:

Win Division
Finish 4th
Finish 5th
Finish 6th
Barely Make Playoffs
Barely Miss Playoffs
12th or Worse

Guest6786
( )

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  10:11:11  Reply with Quote
basically it's anywhere between 6th and the basement.
three key things need to happen in order for the Leafs to even think about getting into the playoffs:
1) a majorly improved PP and PK
2) their starting 6 defensemen need to play well in front of Reimer
3) Reimer needs to be the Reimer we saw last year.

additional things that will also help: a healthy Connolly & Lupul; a 35+ goal season from Kessel; continued success from the 2nd line; Phaneuff playing all season the way he played the last 30 - 40 games of last season
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  16:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The future is not bright in T.O.I just looked thru the signed roster for this year and all I can say is it is gonna be another bumpy year in T.O.

A lot of b-b+ players and 2 practically wet goalies (Not even 3 healthy nhl seasons between the 2 of them), a tough but not stellar D-corp, no Kaberle, no real Blue chip franchise player (Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Gaborik, Iginla, either Sedin, Thorton type players).

You can argue Phaneuf $6.5, Kessel $6.0 and Connolly $5.5 are blue chip, but for my money I'd rather have Perry $5.375, Getzlaf $5.75, Visnovsky $5.0 for less money. How about Iginla $7.0, Tanguay $3.5 and Bouwmeester $6.6.

These signings have crippled this team which has no veteran goalie and $8.1 million to spend on broken parts this year. I'd say now that they dont have to give a 1st or 2nd draft pick away to Boston, this is the year they dive for a high draft pick.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  16:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they will finish in Montreal on april 7th, that is where they will finish the regular season, i don't know what the rest of you are talking about

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

Guest9299
( )

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  18:25:07  Reply with Quote
I wonder what Toronto fans will say if Kessel does go off and score 40+ goals and still miss the playoffs, which I think is a real possibility.
Go to Top of Page

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  21:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like most seasons i think they will make a last ditch effort to make the playoffs near the end of the season, only to fall short by a few points and losing out on a good draft pick.
Sounds like a good scenario to me
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  22:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They'll barely miss again too many question marks in key positions.
Go to Top of Page

Lunchbox
Top Prospect

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  23:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm gonna go with barely miss or barely make...They will probably play like they did down the stretch last year for good portions of this season, but I don't see them sustaining that pace for a whole year. I have a feeling they will be slightly improved over last season, but I'm just not sure if they are on the outside looking in, or if they just make it, especially since other bubble teams in the East have/are also improving.

Looks like I'm clearing my cookies and voting twice...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  05:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6786

three key things need to happen in order for the Leafs to even think about getting into the playoffs:

additional things that will also help: a healthy Connolly & Lupul; a 35+ goal season from Kessel; continued success from the 2nd line; Phaneuff playing all season the way he played the last 30 - 40 games of last season

This is the best assessment I have seen so far among the early posters, except for the fact that there is no way in hell that Toronto could finish below Ottawa and probably Winnipeg this year. For the Sens to finish ahead of Toronto, hell would have to freeze over, pigs would have to fly . . . it would endtimes, my friends!

But yeah, possibilities to finish between even 5th or 6th, and as low as say 12th exist, for sure. A rejuvenated power play is probably the key thing after Reimer . . . and it certainly on paper should be dramatically improved with Liles added, pp guy Franson, and Connolly all additions that should strengthen the 1st and 2nd unit.

My guess right now, as dramatic as it is after 7 non-playoff years to predict so, is a 6th place finish.

That would be . . . 8 spots above Ottawa

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest6786
( )

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  05:58:04  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

The future is not bright in T.O.I just looked thru the signed roster for this year and all I can say is it is gonna be another bumpy year in T.O.

A lot of b-b+ players and 2 practically wet goalies (Not even 3 healthy nhl seasons between the 2 of them), a tough but not stellar D-corp, no Kaberle, no real Blue chip franchise player (Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Gaborik, Iginla, either Sedin, Thorton type players).

You can argue Phaneuf $6.5, Kessel $6.0 and Connolly $5.5 are blue chip, but for my money I'd rather have Perry $5.375, Getzlaf $5.75, Visnovsky $5.0 for less money. How about Iginla $7.0, Tanguay $3.5 and Bouwmeester $6.6.

These signings have crippled this team which has no veteran goalie and $8.1 million to spend on broken parts this year. I'd say now that they dont have to give a 1st or 2nd draft pick away to Boston, this is the year they dive for a high draft pick.

True, but you could make the same arguement with Buffalo's roster.....except for Miller of course. and i do agree that it does make a huge difference having him in net. but looking at the rest of Buffalo's roster there is no Ovechkin, Thornton, Iginla, Sedin type players either. yet most are seeing them as locks to make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  08:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the poster who talked about special teams and Reimer. Those are the 2 biggest question marks. However, the other question mark I would have would be based on how many Leafs last season had 'career' seasons offensively. MacArther, Grabovski, Kulemin (their entire 2nd line) had career output. How likely is that to happen again??? Maybe one of them does the same or better than last season. But can 2 of them?? Can all 3??? Not likely. So who will pick up that slack??

It really does all come down to their goaltending this season. They have an average team on paper in front of the keeper. Not great offensive (but not bad either) and not great defensive( but not bad either).

In today's NHL you need to be above average in those three catagories(offense, defense, and goaltending) just to make the playoffs. If you are average or below average in any one area, the teams needs to be exceptional in another area to compensate.

TO needs exceptional goaltending play to make the playoffs. Not saying it won't happen, but I am not betting any money on a goalie with 30 games experience and a back up with healthy issues.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  10:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Slozo. Not picking on the team in T.O. here but I see similar quality throughout the roster and a better Goalie in Anderson with more #1 goalie experience. This is not to mention a true powerplay quarterback in Gonchar and hopefully a bounce back year for Spezza/Alfredson/Parrish, plus the big ? Filitov. I haven't even mentioned the depth of prosepects which by many have been pegged as quality players now or in the future. And they have $18.0 million cap space for missing or broken parts. Thats enough to sign T.O. top three players.

I am clearly a Sens fan, but you have to admit, lots of flexibility here. Role players throughout, reasonable contracts, (except possibly Spezza at $8.0 million, ouch) farm system coming off exceptional season. This may be a brighter year for the Sens

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6786

This is the best assessment I have seen so far among the early posters, except for the fact that there is no way in hell that Toronto could finish below Ottawa and probably Winnipeg this year. For the Sens to finish ahead of Toronto, hell would have to freeze over, pigs would have to fly . . . it would endtimes, my friends!

But yeah, possibilities to finish between even 5th or 6th, and as low as say 12th exist, for sure. A rejuvenated power play is probably the key thing after Reimer . . . and it certainly on paper should be dramatically improved with Liles added, pp guy Franson, and Connolly all additions that should strengthen the 1st and 2nd unit.

My guess right now, as dramatic as it is after 7 non-playoff years to predict so, is a 6th place finish.

That would be . . . 8 spots above Ottawa

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  12:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think TO is a far better team on paper than the Sens, specifically in the defensive group. Gonchar would have to have a huge bounce back year for any kind of reasonable comparison but the Sens are still lacking the depth in defense. Offensively, I like TO's 2nd line much better than Ottawa's and I would say their 3rd and 4th lines would be comparable. Neither are amazing, just average but I also think TO has better depth of talent in the 3rd and 4th lines when comparing the two teams.

If the only comparable areas of each team are in net and the 1st line, I can't see how there is a comparison at all. Ottawa is in year 1 of a 2-3 year process to rebuild. TO is in year 3 and ready to (or should be ready to) make the next step.

Ottawa is where TO was 2 years ago. The only difference is that OTT has all their draft picks to look forward to. TO is better today but I would think they will fall quicker and OTT will be the better team in the next 2 seasons.

Edited by - Beans15 on 09/15/2011 12:43:10
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  15:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Slozo. Not picking on the team in T.O. here but I see similar quality throughout the roster and a better Goalie in Anderson with more #1 goalie experience. This is not to mention a true powerplay quarterback in Gonchar and hopefully a bounce back year for Spezza/Alfredson/Parrish, plus the big ? Filitov. I haven't even mentioned the depth of prosepects which by many have been pegged as quality players now or in the future. And they have $18.0 million cap space for missing or broken parts. Thats enough to sign T.O. top three players.

I am clearly a Sens fan, but you have to admit, lots of flexibility here. Role players throughout, reasonable contracts, (except possibly Spezza at $8.0 million, ouch) farm system coming off exceptional season. This may be a brighter year for the Sens

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

[quote]Originally posted by Guest6786

What would a much improved season from Parrish do other than help Binghamton have a shot at repeating. Parrish is not even in the conversation to be in the starting line-up Murray said that when he signed the contract. Back to the topic at hand I don't think Toronto will finish below Ottawa but it's not as unlikely as Slozo is saying. I think Toronto will likely be in a battle with Montreal and Carolina for the last playoff spot and I would definately put them third out of that group so I am saying a tenth place finish

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky

Edited by - Sensfan101 on 09/15/2011 15:04:41
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2011 :  20:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who knows what the leafs will do ??? They are capable of doing anything good or bad. lol

Don`t forget people that the leafs were the 2nd best NHL team last season ( points wise ) in the second half of the season....2nd only to SJ......very true, check it out.

If the sesson started Jan. 29 / 2011....the leafs would have finished 2nd overall in the entire league.....I`m not saying they are the 2nd best team in the league....I`m not crazy.......fact is though they put up the numbers ( points ) in the second half.

Reimer has to be great for the leafs to make the post season ( Buffalo syndrome ) without Miller each year, they are toast.

The leafs have just above average team offense.....should have well above average team defense....goaltending is still a huge question mark, will Reimer show up again ?? I think Ben Sch. will push out the monster before the year is over. T . Connolly and J . M. Liles should help the powerplay improve. Outside Liles, the leafs D-men are huge, physical play in front of their net shouldn`t be any problem what - so - ever....time will tell.

I`m predicting a 6th place conference finish, providing Reimer returns the same goalie as last season.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2011 :  20:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JoshuaCanada.....i think the Sens fate will be determined by their youngsters in the future.

Gonchar is washed up bigtime, so is D. Alfredsson, sorry my friend they are done. These guys are just filling roster spots, especially Gonchar....see if he gets 25 games in before a season ending injury.

Spezza is so much M. Sundin...skill and size to boot but no guts, no real desire to win...neither had or has that fire in their gut...they don`t push back, they just get pushed.

Ottawa never got over losing Z . Chara...what a blunder that was.
Go to Top of Page

TheRC
Rookie

105 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2011 :  10:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reimer is certainly the big question mark for the Leafs this season. Like so many of the middle (say 6th-12th place in the division) teams in this league, a playoff berth will depend on having a goaltender who can play well enough to keep his team in almost every game, and then stealing a few wins they probably don't deserve. We've seen Reimer for what? two dozen games? Not even. As great as he was, it's pointless to speculate how good he will play starting this season in the starters role.

That said, I'm starting to have faith that the rest of the team in front of the goaltender is, while not great, at least good enough to get things done; as a Leaf fan, I haven't thought that for years. By the end of last season the young Defense corps was starting to impress, and new guys like Liles and Connolly should spark the power play. The remaining question is with the forwards. It's fair to say that the leafs don't have a genuine superstar, and that several of their forwards had career years last year - I don't, however, feel that they necessarily have to regress by much this year. It's obvious that the Grabovski, MacArthur, Kulemin line clicked incredibly well. While they all had career years, all three are still fairly young, and the numbers they put up weren't totally unbelieveable. It could easily be the case that they found the right linemates as much as it may be that all three happened to get incredibly lucky at the same time. The rest of them don't exactly cause me to salivate in anticipation of a Cup parade, but barring injuries there is no reason to expect much less from them this year compared to last, and as Duke pointed out, once they started getting better goaltending, they actually did quite well.

Cautiously optimistic. Still a bubble team, but I wouldnt be surprised to see the Leafs sitting on the right side of 8th place at the end of the season. Either way, it should be close.

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail"
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  11:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

JoshuaCanada.....i think the Sens fate will be determined by their youngsters in the future.

Gonchar is washed up bigtime, so is D. Alfredsson, sorry my friend they are done. These guys are just filling roster spots, especially Gonchar....see if he gets 25 games in before a season ending injury.

Spezza is so much M. Sundin...skill and size to boot but no guts, no real desire to win...neither had or has that fire in their gut...they don`t push back, they just get pushed.

Ottawa never got over losing Z . Chara...what a blunder that was.

Actually I'd say losing secondary scoring was the downfall of the Sen's. The always seemed like a tight defensive corp. I dont think Gonchar is washed up yet but you are correct he has a history of season ending injuries. Alfredson's best years are definately behind him, but a healthy season could allow him to surprise many. Spezza is still a premier playmaker who played thru injuries the last few years and is as motivated as his linemates. Parrish was a good player a few seasons ago and may just need a new address to bring back his playing level. That is the history of this club.

The future for this club is much brighter. They have many 1st second and 3rd year players who will receive plenty of playing time with this team. Butler looks like a breakout player, Regin looks like a great playmaker. Erik Karlsson would be sought after by most teams and is a great backend presence. Filitov was a highly regarded player and MVP in the world tournament a few years ago. Hopefully in Ottawa with playing time and creative room Filitov finds his premier game at this level. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my list.

Goaltending wise you have to admit, I'd rather role into the season with a proven #1 goalie Anderson with a proven NHL caliber backup in Auld rather than 2 goalies with 1 streak between them.

Im not saying T.O bad Ottawa good. Im saying I like the direction Ottawa is heading mainly up the standings with lots of cap space compared with T.O as tight capped and short of top end talent and a weak farm system as they are.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  10:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua, Toronto`s farm system has been non - existent for years. They are not as bad as you say right now though, the leafs are finally rebuilding their farm system.

Players like Joe Colbourne, Matt Frattin, Jake Gardiner, Jessie Blacker, Tyler Biggs, Greg Mckegg, Bradly Ross, Stuart Percy and Kenny Ryan are all great young prospects...across the pond Sondre Olden, Daniel Brodin and Petter Granberg and supposedly developing nicely.

As for in goal, the leafs have built up a very solid young core of net minders, which did not exist before. Players like Reimer, the monster, Schrivens, Rynass and that newly aquired Finnish kid ( can`t remember his name ) give Toronto many opotions for the future.

As for Ottawa heading up in the standings...nothing wrong with having hope as a fan but i see Ottawa ( analyist are all also saying ) actually dropping in the standings this season.

Sure Ottawa has cap space but look at the players who are gone over the past several seasons leaving this cap space behind. Some of these players are hard to replace, surely almost impossible to replace them with UFA`s these days...unless you want to overpay through the nose.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2943
( )

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  16:45:10  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Joshua, Toronto`s farm system has been non - existent for years. They are not as bad as you say right now though, the leafs are finally rebuilding their farm system.

Players like Joe Colbourne, Matt Frattin, Jake Gardiner, Jessie Blacker, Tyler Biggs, Greg Mckegg, Bradly Ross, Stuart Percy and Kenny Ryan are all great young prospects...across the pond Sondre Olden, Daniel Brodin and Petter Granberg and supposedly developing nicely.

As for in goal, the leafs have built up a very solid young core of net minders, which did not exist before. Players like Reimer, the monster, Schrivens, Rynass and that newly aquired Finnish kid ( can`t remember his name ) give Toronto many opotions for the future.

As for Ottawa heading up in the standings...nothing wrong with having hope as a fan but i see Ottawa ( analyist are all also saying ) actually dropping in the standings this season.

Sure Ottawa has cap space but look at the players who are gone over the past several seasons leaving this cap space behind. Some of these players are hard to replace, surely almost impossible to replace them with UFA`s these days...unless you want to overpay through the nose.

I am going to refrain from turning this into a post about Ottawa as this is suppose to be about Toronto.

To be honest, I scratched my head at all the players on you list of kids in the system for the Leafs, except Reimer. I pay attention to Toronto and generally root for all Canadian teams of all colors when not playing my team. I have no idea who those players are. Maybe I wouldnt qualify as a scout, but really I would have to google all except Reimer and the Monster to see there resume. The Monster hasnt really impresed me either, so all I see from your list is Reimer who put together a pretty good 12 games, when the pressure for playoffs was off the team.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  16:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry last was from me
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  05:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry last was from me

I am going to refrain from turning this into a post about Ottawa as this is suppose to be about Toronto.

To be honest, I scratched my head at all the players on you list of kids in the system for the Leafs, except Reimer. I pay attention to Toronto and generally root for all Canadian teams of all colors when not playing my team. I have no idea who those players are. Maybe I wouldnt qualify as a scout, but really I would have to google all except Reimer and the Monster to see there resume. The Monster hasnt really impresed me either, so all I see from your list is Reimer who put together a pretty good 12 games, when the pressure for playoffs was off the team

Then I guess you don't really pay THAT much attention. One would think you'd have heard of at least Colbourne and Gardiner.

And let's face it, if you are including Reimer in that group of young talent, you'd have to include Kadri in there two as players who have played half a season.

Nah, that is one aspect that Burke has really excelled at, IMHO - building the young talent base back up. I know the Kessel picks have been talked over to death, but until any of those players becomes greater in worth than Kessel is, it's a great young talented sniper.

Looking at the past 6 years, this year we are positioned well in having some guys who can get called up in case of injuries. Not saying how great and deep we are - I think we are about average now - but just that we are no longer a shallow team that absolutely cannot have injuries to survive.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page